PDA

View Full Version : I need to bulk

Whoshot
10-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Alright guys, I havent posted in awhile but I really need to get serious and gain some weight. Im 6ft and weight around 164 pounds. I have been on the Baby Got Back routine for about 6 months and I have sort of stopped making strenght gains....which I think is from me not eating enough. I need to start back on fitday, I know. I would like to get to 200 pounds, but im afraid that im going to become a fat ass.

My question is, would you guys suggest me doing a dirty bulk and just make sure I have enough protein or a super clean bulk? I was wondering, if I did a clean bulk for a few months, would I appear to be fater or would it be mostly muscle I put on? Thanks guys.

Ramstein85
10-17-2007, 03:55 PM
If you are under 200 lbs just eat alot. Dont go insanely dirty, but it wouldnt hurt to have some high fat foods where ur at, just make sure you get enough protein your own body weights in LBS in Protein grams. Lift regularly and you will be at 200 pounds in no time. I started at 176 lbs and got to 200lbs in two months and i basically made sure i got my daily intake of protein and calories at over 3500. Use www.fitday.com to track your diet. It helps to have a weight gainer shake once or twice a day. I usually get 1000 calories from one weight gaienr shake with extra peanut butter, a banana and some olive oil. Good luck with your quest.

eddie500
10-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I would just do a dirty bulk because its easier and it doesn't really matter much. But I agree if your not eating enough your going to have to add a couple weight gainer shakes into your deit. Without shakes There is no way I could eat all the calories.

My current weight gainer shakes consists of the following,
300grams of Whole Milk
2 scoops of protein powder
1 scoop of weight gainer powder = 250 calories
8oz cup of oat meal
a bunch of icecream

I'd say that is about 800-1000 calories and I take 2 of those daily.

Con
10-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Wow, best advice ever in this thread.

Learn to eat more. If you really are a small eater, use fitday to make sure you get enough each day.

Going hog wild is the most moronic advice even if you are smalll and/or lean.

1ManRiot
10-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Increase your portion sizes and number of meals if necessary. Monitor and adjust accordingly.

RhodeHouse
10-18-2007, 11:25 AM

Learn to eat more. If you really are a small eater, use fitday to make sure you get enough each day.

Con, how big are you?

Dude, just eat. Read JM Blakely's article, "The Big Boy's Menu Plan". Please read between the lines and use his ideas, not his food choices to gain the weight. There's very sound advice in there that anyone trying to gain weight should take.

Paul Stagg
10-18-2007, 11:28 AM

Continuing to post in such a manner isn't going to endear you to anyone. Especially when you aren't right.

Paul Stagg
10-18-2007, 11:33 AM
To the OP:

You have two issues, both are easy to fix, but hard to do.

1) Training
You need to use a very basic routine. You don't even need a split, just get in and do the basics. Something like Rippetoe or McCallum. Your training right now isn't 'bad', but it probably isn't optimal.

2) Diet
Eat more. Seriously. It's about two things: Protein and Calories. Get lots of them. Don't worry about the details, and don't worry about them being 'clean' or whatever. That doesn't mean you give up on your health, you need to eat your veggies, and lots of them. But a couple of Big Macs wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Con
10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Con, how big are you?

Dude, just eat. Read JM Blakely's article, "The Big Boy's Menu Plan". Please read between the lines and use his ideas, not his food choices to gain the weight. There's very sound advice in there that anyone trying to gain weight should take.

Im small. I have to start somewhere, no?

To the OP:

2) Diet
Eat more. Seriously. It's about two things: Protein and Calories. Get lots of them. Don't worry about the details, and don't worry about them being 'clean' or whatever. That doesn't mean you give up on your health, you need to eat your veggies, and lots of them. But a couple of Big Macs wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Besides the details, what was different than what I said?

Paul Stagg
10-19-2007, 07:56 AM
You said going hog wild is moronic. It isn't, necessarily. Short term 'hog wild' can be remarkably effective.

berfles
10-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Eh, that article does nothing for me.

I wouldn't dirty bulk unless your metabolism is insanely fast like mine and you could lose the fat in a month.

Con
10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
You said going hog wild is moronic. It isn't, necessarily. Short term 'hog wild' can be remarkably effective.

Well pardon my lack of clarity. I can appreciate the fact that short term extremes can work, but not just learn to do things in a more moderate way?

The guy has trouble gaining weight. We all know thats a function of diet. So instead of telling him to eat everything in sight, besides the possibilty it might not lead to substantially better strength or muscle gains, it really doesnt help him understand why it works. Failure, IMO, st a very good lesson. Depending on the person, it can be a motivator.

I for one just learned that maintenance level calories does not lead to anything spectacular. So now I know, I need to eat more if I am to accomplish my goals.

Sorry for the misconception. Going hog wild with your diet, for extended periods of time is moronic.

RhodeHouse
10-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Eh, that article does nothing for me.

I wouldn't dirty bulk unless your metabolism is insanely fast like mine and you could lose the fat in a month.

You missed the whole point of the article, as most bodybuilder-types do. It's not about WHAT you eat. It's about HOW you eat. You don't HAVE to eat the crappy food he talks about. But, for anyone complaining about weight gain problems, there are some GREAT points he makes. You "clean bulking" guys need to read between the lines. You also need to eat some f@#$ing bad food if you ever want to get big.

berfles
10-20-2007, 12:28 AM
You missed the whole point of the article, as most bodybuilder-types do. It's not about WHAT you eat. It's about HOW you eat. You don't HAVE to eat the crappy food he talks about. But, for anyone complaining about weight gain problems, there are some GREAT points he makes. You "clean bulking" guys need to read between the lines. You also need to eat some f@#$ing bad food if you ever want to get big.

Nope, not what I meant at all. What I meant was him saying eat as soon as you wake up, and make it 1000 calories and so forth. It's not physically possible for me regardless of what anyone here says, because I literally feel sick if I even eat a damn pop tart much less force 1000 calories down my throat. I'm not the only person like this and I've read tons of other people's comments that say the same thing, so it has nothing to do with "getting used to eating". I've been eating close to 5000 calories just about every day for months and months.

RichMcGuire
10-20-2007, 02:32 AM
I think it depends on how you would define "hog wild." In a general sense, youre right Con - at least when I think of hog wild. I guess some people really dont realize that the body can add only so much muscle tissue in a given day. If you have excess calories above that, guess where they will go? Body fat. You simply cant force feed muscles to grow. You need calories to support the activity - and for most people, that means excess calories...to a point.. With that in mind, the best advice would be to monitor your current calorie intake for an average and then increase from that gradually.

RhodeHouse
10-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Nope, not what I meant at all. What I meant was him saying eat as soon as you wake up, and make it 1000 calories and so forth. It's not physically possible for me regardless of what anyone here says, because I literally feel sick if I even eat a damn pop tart much less force 1000 calories down my throat. I'm not the only person like this and I've read tons of other people's comments that say the same thing, so it has nothing to do with "getting used to eating". I've been eating close to 5000 calories just about every day for months and months.

How many times have you puked in your mouth because you've over-stuffed yourself? How many times have you had to eat again because you weren't able to choke it back down? You can't make a shake with 800-1000 calories in it? All I hear from you are excuses. If you're eating 5000 calories a day and not gaining, go back and read what JM says about that. I'll paraphrase, "eat more". It's very simple. You could even try to adapt the idea to work for you. Maybe wait an hour to eat 1000 calories. It's about having some balls to achieve your goals. If you really want it, you'll get it. If not, you'll continue to post questions like this one.

My training partner will berate me if I leave an ounce of food on my plate when we eat before the gym. Nut up and eat.

berfles
10-20-2007, 07:20 PM
How many times have you puked in your mouth because you've over-stuffed yourself? How many times have you had to eat again because you weren't able to choke it back down? You can't make a shake with 800-1000 calories in it? All I hear from you are excuses. If you're eating 5000 calories a day and not gaining, go back and read what JM says about that. I'll paraphrase, "eat more". It's very simple. You could even try to adapt the idea to work for you. Maybe wait an hour to eat 1000 calories. It's about having some balls to achieve your goals. If you really want it, you'll get it. If not, you'll continue to post questions like this one.

My training partner will berate me if I leave an ounce of food on my plate when we eat before the gym. Nut up and eat.

Do you think I posted this thread? I'm not asking any questions about gaining weight here, I am gaining just fine thank you very much. I make two 1500 calorie shakes a day and one 500 calories PWO shake. Just because you're able to eat a **** ton of food when you wake up doesn't mean everyone will be able to, I am not willing to throw my food back up because I forced myself to eat that way when I felt sick to begin with.

The bottom line is this: I am gaining around 1.5lbs a week, my lifting numbers are going up, and I'm doing just fine without eating the second I wake up and forcing 1000 calories down my throat until I feel ready for it. It's bad enough nothing tastes good to me anymore because I am eating so much more than I'm used to, I'm not going to vomit daily on top of that yet. And yes, I do get to that point almost every day eating and drinking what I currently do.

All I said was that a lot of what that article said doesn't apply to me because I can't eat early in the morning, and certainly can't eat 1000 calories as my very first meal.

DieselDan1014
10-21-2007, 06:34 AM
always as clean ass possible