PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Peanutbutter!

RinkerxX
10-18-2007, 02:26 PM
So I notice a lot of people choosing natural peanutbutter over Jif or some other brands Personally i think natural peanut butter tastes like crap, So here is some things i've looked up.

Should peanut butter be avoided because it is high in trans fats?

No. Based on the newly proposed FDA regulations about trans fat labeling, peanut butter would declare ZERO (0) trans fat. Independent analyses of peanut butters by The Peanut Institute have shown extremely low levels of trans fat. Some peanut butter contains a very small amount of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil to help prevent oil separation, which is preferable to most consumers.

Is there a huge difference between regular peanut butter and natural peanut butter?

Peanut butter today is remarkably like that made 100 years ago. All peanut butter must, by law, contain a minimum of 90% peanuts. Both natural and regular peanut butters may contain some sugar and salt for flavoring. Some brands also contain a small amount of stabilizer (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil) to keep the oil from separating, which most consumers prefer. This also helps maintain peanut butter freshness.

AKMass
10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
So I notice a lot of people choosing natural peanutbutter over Jif or some other brands Personally i think natural peanut butter tastes like crap, So here is some things i've looked up.

No. Based on the newly proposed FDA regulations about trans fat labeling, peanut butter would declare ZERO (0) trans fat. Independent analyses of peanut butters by The Peanut Institute have shown extremely low levels of trans fat. Some peanut butter contains a very small amount of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil to help prevent oil separation, which is preferable to most consumers.

Is there a huge difference between regular peanut butter and natural peanut butter?

Peanut butter today is remarkably like that made 100 years ago. All peanut butter must, by law, contain a minimum of 90% peanuts. Both natural and regular peanut butters may contain some sugar and salt for flavoring. Some brands also contain a small amount of stabilizer (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil) to keep the oil from separating, which most consumers prefer. This also helps maintain peanut butter freshness.

Any idea what the proposed regulations say? Also, what's your source? I hope this is true though, natty is nasty.

BBB
10-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Partially hydrogenated oils ARE NOT FOOD!

Period.

Case closed.

The human body was not meant to process that crap.

Holto
10-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Nature wins every time.

WORLD
10-18-2007, 07:22 PM
How can you say Natural PB sucks. Now that I've been eating natty for a while, the other stuff tastes terrible and salty. Natural everything definately wins every time.

BFGUITAR
10-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Most unnatural PB I see has soybean oil instead... I havent seen one with hydrogenated oil for a while.

Maybe im just not looking enough,

berfles
10-18-2007, 09:00 PM
How can you say Natural PB sucks. Now that I've been eating natty for a while, the other stuff tastes terrible and salty. Natural everything definately wins every time.

Yep. I use natural peanut butter and the only ingredient it says is "Peanuts". Comes with oil on top that you have to stir in, and there is no added salty or anything. I couldn't find that brand once so I bought Skippy's Natural Peanut Butter and it only had like 30mg of sodium and I almost threw up because it was so salty to me.

When I first tried natural peanut butter I couldn't stand it, but now it's the other way around.

sharkall2003
10-18-2007, 09:44 PM
You're entitled to your opinion.

Yes, and I'll explain why.

The amount necessary for the government to allow a company to put zero in their trans fat section of the nutrition label is <.5 grams/serving. Canada's is something like <.2 grams/serving. Goes to show you that these standards in America aren't all that great, and that our government cares more about prospering businesses than the average man. What is extremely low? I think extremely low is the amount found in animal foods in nature. Something like .002 grams/serving at most.

Peanut butter today is remarkably like that made 100 years ago. All peanut butter must, by law, contain a minimum of 90% peanuts. Both natural and regular peanut butters may contain some sugar and salt for flavoring. Some brands also contain a small amount of stabilizer (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil) to keep the oil from separating, which most consumers prefer. This also helps maintain peanut butter freshness.When you have ignorant consumers, you have ignorant preferences.

There ya go, buddy!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-19-2007, 02:09 AM
I think it tastes better. You don't like the taste...okay? What's the big deal? Eat your regular PB. Don't see the need for some long PB rant.

mikesbytes
10-19-2007, 03:43 AM
What are the ingredients to avoid?

My 3 jars of peanut butter have the following ingredients;
1. Peanuts 93%, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Salt, Emulsifier (471)
2. Roasted Peanuts 89%, Vegetable Oils (Antioxidant (306 Soy)), Sugar, Salt
3. Peanuts 63%, Maltodextrin, sugar, vegetable oil (Antioxidant (320)), Salt, Emulsifier (471)

KoolDrew
10-19-2007, 05:42 AM
i think natural peanut butter tastes like crap

And I think regular tastes like crap.

Alex.V
10-19-2007, 05:44 AM
He's absolutely correct. The amount of trans fats in regular peanut butter is completely insignificant; I've discussed this before. (As is the amount of sugar). This "Natty peanut butter" craze is 95% marketing hype. Congratulations on buying into it.

So no, he's not ignorant at all. If you like "natural" peanut butter, eat it. If not, eat the regular kind.

There ya go, buddies.

Chubrock
10-19-2007, 06:08 AM
The man has spoken.

getfit
10-19-2007, 06:15 AM
i buy natty but when I'm out for breakfast I'll eat the Kraft pb they have.No biggy!

drew
10-19-2007, 06:33 AM
I like Skippy. I won't buy anything else. I buy store brand of everything EXCEPT PB. If they don't have Skippy, I go buy it at a different store. I used to eat natural PB. It wasn't bad. But I could sit and eat a whole jar of Skippy PB.

Choosey dads choose Skippy!!!

brihead301
10-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Skippy is the best whether it's natural or just the regular stuff. I love em both.

Questor
10-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm with Belial on this. Natty PB is another dogma of WBB that's parroted by every fool netizen that regurgitates what he reads on WBB rather than thinking for himself.

Those who question the dogmas are typically ostracized.

zen
10-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I remember checking my peanut butter jars when the discussion of natural peanut butter came up (last year or maybe even 2 years ago) and it did have hydrogenated oils in them. So, maybe they have changed since then, but that's how it was when I first noticed the 'natty' fad.

I doubt the old peanut butter was that bad, really for most people. But if you were eating it everyday, it made sense to go natty

Bikkstah
10-19-2007, 02:14 PM
My reg PB is 6.5g saturated fat though.

RedSpikeyThing
10-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Both my Jof and Skippy have 0 trans fat, and that's by Canadian standards. Also I'm on the "I don't give a ****" train with belial.

ADT
10-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes, no, and maybe.

Why is the amount of trans fats insignificant? The diminutive appointed serving size on the label would be your first clue.

If you eat a recommended serving size, then you'll be fine. The trans fats (i.e partially hydrogenated oil) amount per serving are trivial and inconsequential. All is fine in small doses, if you will.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That being said, what if you ate a large and substantial amount of peanut butter a week? Should you be concerned?

Yes.

If you consume an enormous amount of peanut butter weekly, then the amount of trans fats per serving would be significant. Of course, not everyone consumes enough servings to be affected by the amount of trans fats.

But again, and as always, I am the minority...

Best,
ADT

berfles
10-19-2007, 03:45 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/DSCN6820.jpg

That's what I use.

Chubrock
10-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Yay?

zen
10-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Yay?

It's from Dublin Ohio. I think that's where they bottle budweiser. LOL, I hope there isn't a crossup at the factories.

berfles
10-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Yay?

Damn skippy yay.

RhodeHouse
10-19-2007, 10:00 PM
I mix Crisco into my PB to get extra calories. It's fun being big.

Questor
10-19-2007, 10:33 PM
LOL Rhodes,

You're the Rush Limbaugh of WBB.

Chubrock
10-20-2007, 07:08 AM
More people like Rhodes though.

RhodeHouse
10-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Yer so sweet, Chubs

RinkerxX
11-05-2007, 09:42 PM
He's absolutely correct. The amount of trans fats in regular peanut butter is completely insignificant; I've discussed this before. (As is the amount of sugar). This "Natty peanut butter" craze is 95% marketing hype. Congratulations on buying into it.

So no, he's not ignorant at all. If you like "natural" peanut butter, eat it. If not, eat the regular kind.

There ya go, buddies.

I don't get why people are so crazy about .000000001 grams of transfat

Built
11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Yer so sweet, Chubs

Get a room, you too. ;)

Natty PB is delicious. That other stuff tastes like wax.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Natty PB is delicious. That other stuff tastes like wax.Yeah...it tastes like wax with chemicals in it...with a hint of peanut butter. Mmm.

:bang:

bjohnso
11-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Great, you guys got me all terrified that I'm going to drop dead from heart failure next week. I eat 2-3 servings of natural peanut butter (smuckers, I think) a day. Is that considered a lot? I'm going to check the ingredients when I get home.

RinkerxX
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I would say thats fine, I eat regular peanut butter and i think natty tastes like crap! Im sure i would make the transition to natty but i just dont want to yet! :nod:

arnoldsclone
11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
i have been eating natty, but it's tempting to buy the regular kind because it has a better texture and i think it tastes better but it doesn't have as much protein as the natty and has them bad hydrogenated oils.......I'll stick to natty

ddegroff
11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I've always liked natty PB. I think all the others have too much sugar.

If skippy is all I have access too then I'll eat that.