PDA

View Full Version : Regular supplements and your liver

HP666
10-19-2007, 10:54 AM
I have a question based on pure ignorance, that's why I'm asking. We all know the unhealthy effects of "illegal" supplements on the human body, most importantly the liver. What effect do natural supplements have on the liver? Kidney's? etc. Using myself as an example, taking 3 Multi's, 8 ETS, 5g Creatine, 6g Fish oil daily, what effect do these natural supplements have on the liver?

RedSpikeyThing
10-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Assuming you have no pre-existing medical conditions, there will be no side effects.

jdeity
10-19-2007, 11:21 AM
afaik there's no real liver issues with any of those - however if you have liver problems (which I'd presume based on your concern over your liver and not things like your kidneys) then you may want to show a doc what you're using to be on the safe side.

Also not all illegal supplements hurt the liver, and keep in mind that just because the things you listed seem fine for the liver, other things that are otc/legal may not be.

HP666
10-19-2007, 12:06 PM
afaik there's no real liver issues with any of those - however if you have liver problems (which I'd presume based on your concern over your liver and not things like your kidneys) then you may want to show a doc what you're using to be on the safe side.

Also not all illegal supplements hurt the liver, and keep in mind that just because the things you listed seem fine for the liver, other things that are otc/legal may not be.

Liver, kidneys, brain, whatever body organs. I was just curious as to the overall effect. I don't have any problems, (knock on wood), it was just a general question.

jdeity
10-19-2007, 04:11 PM
ah. The only things I'd recommend if you're concerned about all of that is:

- reduce the 3 (!) multis you're taking so you're not taking way more than you need of fat soluble (read: potential to build up in your body) nutrients
- make sure your fish oils are from a quality source and have no pcb's, dioxins, or heavy metals

ets and creatine seem fine (I dunno very much at all about ets's characteristics except that it works because I've tried a bottle, but dunno the first thing about its chemicals or its pharmacological effects).

piff
10-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Excessive multivitamin supplementation has been linked to advanced prostate cancer according to a study by the National Cancer Institute:

http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20070515/mega-multivitamins-and-prostate-cancer

RhodeHouse
10-19-2007, 10:05 PM
"illegal" supplements are fine for you. You'll hurt yourself more drinking beer than taking $hit. The media has really blown the steroid thing WAY out of proportion.

Anyone heard of Hormone Replacement Therapy? Hello! They're giving men steroids. Remember, if it's good for a horse, it's good for a human. Words to live by. GFH!

jdeity
10-20-2007, 08:16 AM
yes and no - drinking beer is pretty safe even for completely clueless people. Give a clueless person juice but don't give them any info about pct and they'll wish they chose the beer.