PDA

View Full Version : Numbers on manta ray squats?

Hazerboy
10-20-2007, 04:42 PM
For those of you that do manta ray squats for ME day, what kind of numbers do you put up compared to your regular low bar squat? Higher, lower, or about the same? I'm planning on testing my regular squat max in a couple weeks and so far my best manta ray squat was 375 and my best bottom position squat was 355. I just want an idea of what I should shoot for.

Lones Green
10-20-2007, 04:50 PM
whats a manta ray squat?

Scooter
10-20-2007, 06:38 PM
http://www.americanfitness.net/ProductImages/netmall/ANMR-25.jpg

It should be about the same if not a little higher. Shoot for 375!

Detard
10-20-2007, 06:40 PM
I tried one of those things one time and it felt completely wrong and it hurt. but it should be higher or the same

drew
10-20-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't like the Manta Ray.

You should shoot for a better number every time you do them. As with any exercise, everyone is different and there is no direct correlation that fits everyone. That's for you to figure out for yourself.

Detard
10-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Just to further my point. It sucks using one of tohese. I don tunderstand why anyone would use a conarapion like that unless they were trying to be wit da IN crowd at thegym?

Lones Green
10-20-2007, 11:22 PM
yeah, i have no idea why you'd use that. what are the benefits?

1mmort4l
10-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Just to further my point. It sucks using one of tohese. I don tunderstand why anyone would use a conarapion like that unless they were trying to be wit da IN crowd at thegym?

Hahaha, yeah thats good.. +1

Scooter
10-21-2007, 06:24 AM
If you wanted the slightest change to the leverage on your squat you could give it a try. I figure the reason most people use it is the same reason they wear gloves during their workout.

Chubrock
10-21-2007, 07:29 AM
yeah, i have no idea why you'd use that. what are the benefits?

It sets the bar much higher up on your back. Your upper back has to become a lot stronger in order to compensate for how the weight wants to throw you forward. While they aren't used very often, they are used in rotation, much like Buffalo Bars, SS Bars etc etc. I first heard about them in the Westside Seminar DVD.

Lones Green
10-21-2007, 12:36 PM
It sets the bar much higher up on your back. Your upper back has to become a lot stronger in order to compensate for how the weight wants to throw you forward. While they aren't used very often, they are used in rotation, much like Buffalo Bars, SS Bars etc etc. I first heard about them in the Westside Seminar DVD.

makes sense. thanks!

redFury
10-21-2007, 02:58 PM

Definitely... all the football players squatted using it when I was in high school. No quite sure why.