PDA

View Full Version : Hit a wall

BFGUITAR
10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
My deadlift seems to have halted. I know that when I start DLing 300+ my technique gets a bit crappy (Upper back begins to round). What do you guys suggest?

Im doing a Westside style routine now.

CiteCollegiale
10-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Since you're doing westside I guess you're deadlifting every week? If that's the case you can't max out every time you deadlift. Lower the weight and do doubles and triples and work up to a max maybe once every month or two.

Also what part of the motion are you having problems with? Off the floor? lockout? I've seen videos of Chris Mason doing deadlifts with close to 600 pounds off a box to work on getting it off the ground. I've never tried this so maybe someone else can comment on that.

If the lockout is your problem rack pulls would help.

RhodeHouse
10-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Westside doesn't advocate pulling every week. This is what I would do
1. DL from floor
2. DL off plates
3. Pin Pulls from below knees
4. GM's
Rotate this for about 3-4 months. If it works, keep doing it.

BFGUITAR
10-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Do that all in one day?
Or every week I do one of those?

redFury
10-21-2007, 02:56 PM
What Rhodes is giving is a 4 week rotation

RedSpikeyThing
10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Upper back rounding is ok.
I'm a big fan of DLs off a platform. It seems to make regular pulls so much lighter.

Killa Kurt
10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Also what part of the motion are you having problems with? Off the floor? lockout? I've seen videos of Chris Mason doing deadlifts with close to 600 pounds off a box to work on getting it off the ground. I've never tried this so maybe someone else can comment on that.

This definately works.

Upper back rounding is ok.
I'm a big fan of DLs off a platform. It seems to make regular pulls so much lighter.

I agree.

BFGUITAR
10-21-2007, 05:53 PM
DLs off a platform? So basically I am on a platform and the barbell is on the ground or the opposite?

I dont exactly have a specific problem other than my upper back rounding (and how is that ok in terms of technique?). The whole lift just seems struggled.

deeder
10-21-2007, 06:32 PM
DLs off a platform? So basically I am on a platform and the barbell is on the ground or the opposite?

I dont exactly have a specific problem other than my upper back rounding (and how is that ok in terms of technique?). The whole lift just seems struggled.

Yup, you're standing on a platform with the bar still on the floor. I've done them off 1", 2", 3" and 4" platforms. Thinking of going higher makes me want to cry!

Get some videos of your deadlifts for us to watch :) Then we can comment on your technique.

RedSpikeyThing
10-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Yup, you're standing on a platform with the bar still on the floor. I've done them off 1", 2", 3" and 4" platforms.

Yeah I usually stand on a 45 lb plate or an aerobics step.