PDA

View Full Version : College students struggling with protein intake...

PhilsterT
10-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I thought I would throw this out there--mostly for the college students.

I was struggling to get significant calories in on my $12-a-day allowance for food here at my college. But, I found a protein solution: I buy the $4 salad container at the salad bar and fill it completley with deli chicken (probably over a pound), which is considerably cheaper than any other deli area (and good too). I come home and make cheese quasidellas (sp?), which cheese, chicken and flower tortillas, and then eat the remaining chicken.

It's probably 800-1000 calories with the dressing, cheese, dillas, and chicken.

mikey4402
10-21-2007, 07:30 PM
haha good call with the chicken.

There is always canned tuna. i at soo much tuna when i was in the dorms

Bikkstah
10-21-2007, 10:19 PM
$12 a day? That's $360 a month if I'm wrong? What am I missing? That's a lot of food.

redFury
10-21-2007, 10:25 PM
$12 a day? That's $360 a month if I'm wrong? What am I missing? That's a lot of food.

That is a ton of food... $12 = 12 junior bacon cheeseburgers at wendy's. Problem solved.

dscarth
10-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Maybe not money to be used off campus? $360 at a supermarket buys alot more than $360 at a school lunchroom.

It's like $2.50 for a cup of fruit at my college cafe. $1.50 for a soda (diet, im cutting). We're at 1/3 the daily monetary allowance and we've now only bought a cup of fruit and a diet soda... not doing so well, I'd say.

bigmoney
10-21-2007, 10:29 PM
$12= 5 jr bacon cheeseburgers and 5 frosties!!! all these calories you could ever need

BFGUITAR
10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
I suggest buying bread, PB andJ, and some protein powder. This will solve your problem.

Try and stay away from caf food as its a killer.

ArmandSV
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
haha good call with the chicken.

There is always canned tuna. i at soo much tuna when i was in the dorms

I ate a lot of tuna in the dorms too! ;-)

haha

Giovanna360
10-22-2007, 02:22 PM
lol i order wings from dominos every day. its part of our meal plan here so i can charge it to my school account so mommy and daddy get the bill :)

Torrok
10-22-2007, 03:09 PM
heh, well if you got a walmart near by, id suggest getting a couple of these. they solve all my problems :D and they should each be a dollar somthing, cuz around here they are fairly cheap.

http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=builders

tigo
10-24-2007, 08:00 AM
i think hes using an "on campus" allowance, meaning everything is overpriced.

look around your restaurants and see if they sell stuff separately. i know at my school they had a greek place which would sell me half chickens instead of the whole meal.

the chicken idea is pretty good, just fill the whole thing up, then fill another with veggies.

see if any place sells eggs too, i found that at our cafeteria, when they had breakfast in the morning it was relatively cheap to get omeletes, sausage, bacon and all that.

best of luck to you

PhilsterT
10-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah, all my money is on-campus only. So, everything is overpriced, so I'm trying to be creative.

The cool thing about the salad is that having a lid is not a requirement, so I build a little fortress with cucumbers around the side and make a triangular chicken dome.

Bikkstah
10-24-2007, 06:17 PM
For my undergrad, the caf in my dorm was all-you-can eat. Meal plan was like 10 meals a week, 15, 20 or unlimited. I had unlimited and ate like a monster. I bought a freezer and used to steal backpacks of ice cream, chicken and other stuff and keep 'em frozen in my freezer.

BFGUITAR
10-24-2007, 06:46 PM
For my undergrad, the caf in my dorm was all-you-can eat. Meal plan was like 10 meals a week, 15, 20 or unlimited. I had unlimited and ate like a monster. I bought a freezer and used to steal backpacks of ice cream, chicken and other stuff and keep 'em frozen in my freezer.

Unlimited.... thats godly!

smalls
10-24-2007, 08:31 PM
That is a ton of food... $12 = 12 junior bacon cheeseburgers at wendy's. Problem solved.

True except who can consistently gain on 3100 cals a day?

$12= 5 jr bacon cheeseburgers and 5 frosties!!! all these calories you could ever need

If I ate either of these diets I would be 140lbs all over again, just like I was when I did eat like this. Most people can't gain on 3100-3500 cals a day. I can eat 8000+ cals for cheaper than that (although frosties are the ****). But as already stated the poster is limited to on campus choices.

renaissanceman
10-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey nice, I eat a chicken & cheese quesidilla every day. Good times.

I also have a protein shake with it also.