PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on how to lose weight and become leaner

g0tb00st
10-22-2007, 01:53 PM
I've been reading a lot of posts from members on the board who wish to gain weight. I'm the total opposite. I wanna lose the weight and become leaner.

My stats:

Weight: 205
Height: 5'7"
Waist/Pants Size: 35

Goal Weight: 170lbs
Waist/Pants Size: 32-33

I'm getting married in Oct. of 2008 and I'm commited to losing the weight and living a healthier lifestyle by changing my diet and hitting the gym. I found a workout routine that I can do but need help with my diet. I know that if I want to lose the weight, I need to burn the the calories so cardio is a definite must.

This is pretty much what I eat during the work week:

7:30am - Dannon Light and Fit Smoothie - 70 calories
9:30-10:00am - Small bag of peanuts - 170 calories
11:30-pm - 1/2 Tuna wheat wrap with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, carrots, & cucumbers - 4-500 calories (est.)
2:00pm - other half of tuna wrap - 4-500 calories (est.)
4:00pm - Dannon Light and Fit Smoothie - 70 calories
7-7:30pm - skinless chicken breast - 500 calories

Considering the fact that I'll be on a eliptical machine for roughly 45 minutes and will burn off about 500-600 calories during that time period, am I eating correctly? Thanks and I'm so glad that I found this forum!

Erik

Questor
10-22-2007, 04:14 PM
How much sugar is in your Dannon Light and Fit Smoothie? Some of those are as bad as a Coke.

Loosing weight is easy. Eat slightly less than you need (not a lot less), and lift heavy. Ditch the elliptical machine and starting deadlifting a heavy ass barbell.

Repeat for several months.

Viola. Weight is lost.

--------------------------

If you want a bunch of details, then try to avoid sugars and flour. Eat whole grains, veggies, and meat. Eat unsat fats rather than sat fats. Eat no trans fat. I personally don't eat a few hours before I go to bed. Most of my carbs I eat at breakfast and before/during/after workouts.

When I say slightly less, ... This is what I mean...

If your maint is 2800 calories, eat about 2300. If you starve yourself and eat 1000 you're just going to make your body suck.

----------------

Hey I was nearly exactly where you are 18 months ago. Have fun and enjoy the workout.

g0tb00st
10-22-2007, 05:24 PM
questor,

i saw your progress pics and i was wondering how much jump roping you did to lose all the fat and get as lean as you did? awesome job and i hope to make the same progress as you did in a year from now.

erik

mikey4402
10-22-2007, 06:26 PM
you can jump rope all you want. it doesnt matter if your in a calorie surplus. Fact is you dont even need cardio to lose weight. I still recemend it for its other health benifits, but its not need to acheive your goals

Start an acount at fitday.com and start tracking your calories.

no_excuses
10-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Just chiming in with some of my own experience as I was pretty much you back in June - 27, 196 lbs, 5'8. I'm now 178 lbs and having been gaining decent strength as a newbie. What do I do? I used the BGB routine a couple months and am now using the routine from the Starting Strength book. With heavy weight (for me) and low reps (5x5, 4x6). My maint calories back when I started was about 2800. I subtracted 500 and got down to 183 or so. I stalled out a few weeks so I've dropped my intake to 2100 now. I still have a bit of a gut so I want to cut down to 165 or so then re-evaluate.

I counted up your calories and it was around 1800. I think that might be too low for your weight. Shoot for losing 1-2 lbs a week. And make sure to get plenty of protein. This along with the heavy weight will help you "lean" and "tone" out.

krboyd7
10-23-2007, 04:45 AM
TBH i think you are not consuming enough calories anyway.. the weight should be falling off.
I would drop the morning and afternoon dannon light and replace with a whey shake with water or skimmed milk.
Maybe add a small portion of wholemeal carbs with yuor other meals?
Depends if you wanna keep muscle mass?

g0tb00st
10-23-2007, 05:51 AM
i have a bit of a gut which i want to get rid of. this is my first week on the diet and would like to see how much weight i can lose by lifting, doing cardio and following this meal plan. if i lose 10 lbs quickly, i'll readjust my diet, add a bit more calories and protein to maintain my size and gain more strength.

by the way, since i have my dannon drink in front of me, here are its stats:

cal 70
total fat 0
cholestorol <5mg
sodium 85mg
potassium 230mg
total carb 13g
sugars 12g
protein 5g

is this too much sugar?

krboyd7
10-23-2007, 06:08 AM
i have a bit of a gut which i want to get rid of. this is my first week on the diet and would like to see how much weight i can lose by lifting, doing cardio and following this meal plan. if i lose 10 lbs quickly, i'll readjust my diet, add a bit more calories and protein to maintain my size and gain more strength.

by the way, since i have my dannon drink in front of me, here are its stats:

cal 70
total fat 0
cholestorol <5mg
sodium 85mg
potassium 230mg
total carb 13g
sugars 12g
protein 5g

is this too much sugar?

I would have thought that the 12g are of high Gi so would avoid them

Questor
10-23-2007, 08:08 AM
i was wondering how much jump roping you did to lose all the fat and get as lean as you did?

The question is, 'how much jump rope did I do to loose all that body mass?'. I jumped rope maybe every day for 10 min or so with breaks, after jogging around the neighborhood.

I wish I hadn't done it. I ruined my own strength. I started out my strength training weak like a kitten.

Do as I suggest, not as I did. If I had it all to do over again, I'd do it a lot differently.

----------------------------------

You can make up your own mind about the sugar in the yogurt. I try to eat ~60g of sugar a day. My high range for sugar is 75g. Most of that is lactose from milk and fructose from fruit, plus the insidious trace amounts of sugar that appear in so many kinds of prepared foods.