PDA

View Full Version : Football almost done... prepare for next year.

Rocket Reidy
10-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Football season is comming to a close.
our team has one more game yet and if we win (which we probably will since this is the easiest team on our schedule) we will have ended the season with an 8-5 record.

I was a junior, and started the season as starting CB on JV (@ 5'10 140lbs). I ended as FS and Kick Returner on Varsity. i was the smallest guy (as far as weight) on our Varsity D. I mostly got put on cus i am fast and good at leading the secondary (i have 8 interceptions, most on our team).

So now i need help with dedicating the whole off season, to improving:
speed
power
weight
quickness
posture
hands (i can catch better than most on my team, but i'm sure i have plenty of room for improvement)
balance&body control

i am planning on going back to what i did in the summer when i gained 5 pounds of muscle in 2 and a half months...and work our 5 to 6 days a week so i am wondering how much i can gain between now and next august? and is 200benchpress & 400squat a doable goal? (see what i can do now in my signature)

also, i think my height growth spurt has mostly ended, i am 5'10 and in 2005-2006 i went from 5'4 to 5'9 and in 2006-now i went from 5'9 to 5'10
so i dont think i am going to get much taller, but will i get "wider" naturally?
and if that is so i am wondering if with the help of that type of growth spurt, and with tons and tons and tons of working out, 5'10-165/170 is possible? (while maintaining my 8% body fat and speed)

i also
sprint every day
and i am planning on doing some more creative practical workouts (i.e. having someone hit me with a stick to help my muscles get used to being hit... running in thick forests/cross terrain holding a football etc..) [if i hit 165 while still being 5'10 i am going to try for tailback... seeing i have the experience of running the ball at kick returner, and i have the speed, and i am now 140 and can break through people that are 150, 160... meaning if i could be 170 i could be deavastating...)

also i was debating on joining gymnastics or judo for like 3 months or so because one of the first things you learn is balance, and how to fall and body control? is this a good idea do you think?

what i have now and what i dont have:

i have flawless tackling form
but i lack weight

when i sprint i have powerfull leg power
but i lack upperbody chest and arm power (pumping my arms)

i can sprint and get low and maintain my speed and keep my legs going
but i am lanky

oh and last spring in 06 i ran 50yards in 7.2 seconds
this spring of 06 i ran 60yards in 7seconds

that is what i improved with fairly hard work in a year's time
how much more can i improve with VERY hard work in this year's time?

if you read all that... are such goals in such a change in my body in a year's time possible?

Dgro
10-28-2007, 04:36 PM
woah... tl;dr

Summary please <_<

nhlfan
10-28-2007, 05:58 PM
work your ass off and eat a ton. you don't want to chunk up too much all at once because of your position, but aim to put on at least 20-30 pounds. Do sprints and agility work often.

oh, and there's no way you're squatting 400lbs without getting to at least 170, and that would be exceptional

schmitty199
10-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Yes it's very possible. I went from 155 after my sophmore year to 185 my junior year. Of course not all of that weight stayed on, I dropped about 7 in football and have a similair amount of fat after this season that I did last season. So imo atleat, I had a very successful bulk that is along the lines of what you want to do. Your going to have to focus on your diet and eat plenty though. Im assuming weighing 140 as a junior(17ish?) you havent been eating near enough previously to get goals like these. I know I sure wasnt at this time last year.

i also
sprint every day
and i am planning on doing some more creative practical workouts (i.e. having someone hit me with a stick to help my muscles get used to being hit... running in thick forests/cross terrain holding a football etc..) [if i hit 165 while still being 5'10 i am going to try for tailback... seeing i have the experience of running the ball at kick returner, and i have the speed, and i am now 140 and can break through people that are 150, 160... meaning if i could be 170 i could be deavastating...)

Idk about that stick thing man.... im not sure that could possibly have any physical benifit. Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

I guess it all depends in what area you play, but how many of the guys you would have to run through at tailback would be 150-160 pounds? That's tiny for a dlineman or linebacker... If the only people you ever have to run through is DB's your line must be daaaaang good.