PDA

View Full Version : Squatted in suit for the first time...

Guido
10-23-2007, 01:25 PM
So I finally broke down and got a Metal squat suit and decided to try it for the first time last night. I decided to only do box squats in it at first just to get the feel for it and ensure proper depth. Keep in mind I did this right after doing heavy deadlifts.

I started with straps down and didn't feel like it did anything. Perhaps some briefs are in order. Finally, I decided to put the straps up and noticed that it was much tougher to feel where the bar was placed on my back with the straps there. It's a strange feeling.

Anyway, I did a VERY easy 445 with no knee wraps and had no problem hitting depth. I then put on loose knee wraps and did 465. It didn't quite feel right but I still got it. I think I needed to sit back into it more because it didn't seem like I got much out of the suit that time. I put on knee wraps again and did a really easy 485 with no problem even with a poor walkout (almost lost my balance and fell over before correcting my stance!).

I learned that I really need to work on my walkout and getting set, and that I really need to break at the hips more to let the suit do it's thing. I think next time I'll be going for a solid 500+ which should be no problem for me. Once i get the form down in the suit I fully expect to see 550 or more, easily.

Damn, I am one sore mother today. :thumbup:

Lones Green
10-23-2007, 02:01 PM
thats awesome guido. i have a few questions for you if you don't mind answering them, i just bought the same suit. first off, whats your raw max? what weight did you start with when you put on the suit? do you think box squats would be best for the first time? i think even if i didnt do box squats, my squats would look a lot like a box squat the first time i squatted in the suit. i think i'll start with a little under my max and take the weight down to a depth where i'm comfortable, then ascend, just to break it in.

Stumprrp
10-23-2007, 03:02 PM
sounds good man, im getting the same suit soon.

TommyBoy
10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
So I finally broke down and got a Metal squat suit and decided to try it for the first time last night. I decided to only do box squats in it at first just to get the feel for it and ensure proper depth. Keep in mind I did this right after doing heavy deadlifts.

I started with straps down and didn't feel like it did anything. Perhaps some briefs are in order. Finally, I decided to put the straps up and noticed that it was much tougher to feel where the bar was placed on my back with the straps there. It's a strange feeling.

Anyway, I did a VERY easy 445 with no knee wraps and had no problem hitting depth. I then put on loose knee wraps and did 465. It didn't quite feel right but I still got it. I think I needed to sit back into it more because it didn't seem like I got much out of the suit that time. I put on knee wraps again and did a really easy 485 with no problem even with a poor walkout (almost lost my balance and fell over before correcting my stance!).

I learned that I really need to work on my walkout and getting set, and that I really need to break at the hips more to let the suit do it's thing. I think next time I'll be going for a solid 500+ which should be no problem for me. Once i get the form down in the suit I fully expect to see 550 or more, easily.

Damn, I am one sore mother today. :thumbup:Nice work bro! Very good first session in the suit.

thats awesome guido. i have a few questions for you if you don't mind answering them, i just bought the same suit. first off, whats your raw max? what weight did you start with when you put on the suit? do you think box squats would be best for the first time? i think even if i didnt do box squats, my squats would look a lot like a box squat the first time i squatted in the suit. i think i'll start with a little under my max and take the weight down to a depth where i'm comfortable, then ascend, just to break it in.Lones, when I got my first v-type, I only did box squats with it, and it broke in nicely.

Guido
10-23-2007, 03:36 PM
thats awesome guido. i have a few questions for you if you don't mind answering them, i just bought the same suit. first off, whats your raw max? what weight did you start with when you put on the suit? do you think box squats would be best for the first time? i think even if i didnt do box squats, my squats would look a lot like a box squat the first time i squatted in the suit. i think i'll start with a little under my max and take the weight down to a depth where i'm comfortable, then ascend, just to break it in.My raw max is in my signature. It actually might be a tad under that now because I was injured for a month or so, thoiugh I've ben keeping my leg strength up by doing lunges, leg press, etc. My raw max box squat was 450 in a belt only just before I got injured. The 485 seemed easy. The only tough part was the walkout. BTW, I had no problem getting depth in the Metal suit. Not sure if that's good or bad. My straps seemed to loosen up as the suit rode up higher on my legs as my lifting session wore on, but they were still tighter than my Centurion's by far.

Guido
10-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Nice work bro! Very good first session in the suit.
Lones, when I got my first v-type, I only did box squats with it, and it broke in nicely.Nice, Tommy. How much over your raw max were you able to go in it when you first started using the suit? How tight was it on you?

TommyBoy
10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Nice, Tommy. How much over your raw max were you able to go in it when you first started using the suit? How tight was it on you?Sorry dude, I couldn't tell you as I have no clue what my raw max is.

redFury
10-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Great stuff man... I've been considering finding some money to buy a good squat suit. That Inzer hardcore I have is a piece of crap.

I really want to see you put up 550 in the gym sometime soon.

WillKuenzel
10-23-2007, 08:17 PM
The straps mess me all up. The thickness of them throws off my bar placement. I've tried sitting the straps higher and lower without really getting much of a difference. I will say that squatting in a suit has changed how I squat drastically. My raw squat and my equipped squat would look nothing alike. Each helps the other but I think it's the equivalent of trying to compare leg pressing to squatting. (Well, maybe not that drastic, but they're definitely different.)

Guido
10-24-2007, 08:55 AM
I know what you mean HomeYield. Completely different muscles were sore after the suit squatting than when I raw squat.

TommyBoy
10-24-2007, 11:39 AM
I decided to put the straps up and noticed that it was much tougher to feel where the bar was placed on my back with the straps there. It's a strange feeling.

The straps mess me all up. The thickness of them throws off my bar placement. I've tried sitting the straps higher and lower without really getting much of a difference. I will say that squatting in a suit has changed how I squat drastically. My raw squat and my equipped squat would look nothing alike. Each helps the other but I think it's the equivalent of trying to compare leg pressing to squatting. (Well, maybe not that drastic, but they're definitely different.)I couldn't agree more. Those straps have a wierd feeling. I always think that there's no bar on my back and I pretty much pray on the way down. All I know, is that my best squats (in terms of technique and poundage lifted) all feel extremely uncomfortable. Whenever I feel comfortable, I end up dumping the bar or getting pinned or something. Raw vs. Suit is like English vs. Chinese....totally different.