PDA

View Full Version : Why is the weight I am gaining seemingly only adding into my gut area?

Morox
10-24-2007, 02:13 AM
I am on my very first bulk and was wondering if this is something I should expect?

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6568/bulkyq8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

kw1k
10-24-2007, 04:07 AM
its normal keep eating and lifting

Con
10-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Whats your routine like?

hulkinout
10-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Some people tend to gain weight most predominantly in the gut, but I wouldn't let that deter you. There's a reason they call it a "bulk."

Bohizzle
10-24-2007, 07:52 AM
make sure ur lifting hard.

TopCat
10-24-2007, 08:35 AM
whats the time difference and weight difference in the two pictures? First one says 9/11 id assume the second is closer to now... what about the weights?

Morox
10-24-2007, 09:03 AM
whats the time difference and weight difference in the two pictures? First one says 9/11 id assume the second is closer to now... what about the weights?

Around 8-10 pounds. I am pretty sure it's not water weight since I can clearly see a difference in size.

Even before I started the bulk, I felt fat. Right now, I sit at around 160 lbs with only being 5'8". I started my bulk around 150 lbs. My lowest before that was 142 lbs and even being at 142 lbs, I had a gut. It's strange.

Gunshow
10-24-2007, 09:10 AM
you were skinny as ****, you still are just a little less... how do you feel fat.. keep bulking.

fpr
10-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I would say that everyone is slightly different. I myself, for example, (and this is probably unusual for men) have a tendency of gaining weight in through the thighs and the butt.

In the three months that I've been on a serious lifting routine, and a semi-bulk (I say this because I don't track my calories, so some days I could be eating slight under and others over) I've gained 15 - 18 lbs. Not sure if it has all gone to the ass though :) Will take photos at the end of the year to do some comparisons

ray34iyf
10-24-2007, 12:20 PM
How much are you gaining per week? What's your routine like? Macros?
If I were you, I'd cut a few cals and/or up the workload. I've also found that using a push/pull routine like Built's works better for me as opposed to some bodybuilding split that alot of people use.

Morox
10-24-2007, 11:29 PM
How much are you gaining per week? What's your routine like? Macros?
If I were you, I'd cut a few cals and/or up the workload. I've also found that using a push/pull routine like Built's works better for me as opposed to some bodybuilding split that alot of people use.

I don't think cutting calories is a good idea since I seem to be sitting in a slump right now and not moving anywhere. I was gaining roughly 1 lb every week. I was doing the WBB1 and now I moved on to something else. The WBB1 didn't really seem to do anything at all for me. I am limited to equipment since I just have a bench with weights. I can do a lot, but squats are out of the questions. I need to find a replacement for that if possible.

Morox
10-24-2007, 11:34 PM
General question here. Right now, I am 5'8" and roughly 158 lbs. What is a good weight I should bulk up to and once I am there, what should I cut to?

ray34iyf
10-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Weight doesn't really matter at all IMO. It's all about body composition. If I were you, I'd go and buy some calipers and measure your BF %. I'd also set a range of BF %'s that you want to stay in. For example, bulk until you hit 15% and then cut back down to 10% and repeat. It's always a smart thing to have a limit, imo. I'm cutting down to about 7% and won't go past 13% again. It's all about your goals.

ray34iyf
10-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Also, 1lb a week is too fast for you imo. Some may gain well with that due to genetics and the fact that they partition muscle better than others, but you seemed to gain a good chunk of fat during your bulking. If I were you, I'd cut down to 10% and then start your bulk over. Shoot for .5 lb gain/2 lb month gain. Some may disagree with me, but that's how I'd go about it.

Con
10-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Weight doesn't really matter at all IMO. It's all about body composition. If I were you, I'd go and buy some calipers and measure your BF %. I'd also set a range of BF %'s that you want to stay in. For example, bulk until you hit 15% and then cut back down to 10% and repeat. It's always a smart thing to have a limit, imo. I'm cutting down to about 7% and won't go past 13% again. It's all about your goals.

You know that hormones can get wacky at that region?

I know you want to be lean, but why not save the cutting to extreme leanness(Some people have body issues after being that lean) for when you wont be bulking anymor?

Con
10-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Morox,

You need a routine, thats more than anything isnt retarted. Be consistent, and add weight.

Have you been regularly increasing strength?

ray34iyf
10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Well, for one, I just want to test my limits. I know that it may not be the best thing to do at the moment, I just want to do it because it's a challenge. Second, I think that I am going to address the hormone thing by doing Lyle's bulk after I finish cutting. Supposeably it helps deal with some of those issues and will allow me to get back to bulking without putting on rebound fat. I don't know. We'll see how these next 4 weeks go.
What is your course of action? I'm curious as to whether you chose to keep bulking or give into the UD cut.

hulkinout
10-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. When I was skinny, I still had a gut, and as I've bulked, it's come and gone, and come back again...so, do what you need to do to get where you want, and worry about reducing after.

For many folks, it's 3 steps forward, 1 step back...

Questor
10-25-2007, 02:14 PM
for me it's 1 step forward, .9 steps back.

Con
10-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Id listen to hukingitout.

He is huge and has been doing this a long time.

hulkinout
10-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Id listen to hukingitout.

He is huge and has been doing this a long time.

Wow, and I didn't even have to pay him to say that!:clap:

Thanks Con, you just made my day!