PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a squat suit

Stumprrp
10-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Yup, gave in again with the no money i have and just bought a metal IPF squatter (narrow) size 52 and some metal knee wraps, excited as all hell.

What should i look for with this? fitting? form? same questions i had about the bench shirt basically.

deeder
10-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Awesome! I knew you'd quickly get into the rest of the gear soon after you tried out your bench shirt. That's what happened with me!

Did you order the viking or regular material? If you got the viking it will be very tight in the legs and not as tight in the hips, the regular will be the opposite, tight in the hips and a little looser in the legs.

How tight you can deal with will depend on you. My squat suit is really tight and I have to hike it up really high so it doesn't cut into my groin muscles. I've seen people with looser suits have the legs right on the "bubble" on your leg. That's the fattest point basically. Straps should be tight but not so tight that you can't breathe or stand straight (yes, I've seen it!).

Hopefully some others will chime in as my experience with equipment is quite limited since I've only been lifting equipped for 4 or 5 months.

Lones Green
10-25-2007, 03:40 AM
nice dude. i'm squatting in mine for the first time today. like deeder said, its very tight in the hips, not as tight in the legs, and depending on how tall you are will decide how tall the straps are.

Stumprrp
10-25-2007, 08:22 AM
cant wait!

Stumprrp
10-30-2007, 09:34 AM
damn that bitch is tight!!! my dad had to use FULL force to get one strap on, i had loose boxers and a big tee shirt on so iwth no shirt and tighty whities i should be good.

Guido
10-30-2007, 09:53 AM
damn that bitch is tight!!! my dad had to use FULL force to get one strap on, i had loose boxers and a big tee shirt on so iwth no shirt and tighty whities i should be good.You'll want to wear a shirt under it, trust me. Straps + bar on bare back = not good. Those straps will tear your skin up.

Stumprrp
10-30-2007, 10:00 AM
ok ill wear a tighter shirt, hopefully the tight underwear helps me get it on better if not im gonna have to order a 54.

deeder
10-30-2007, 11:17 AM
You'll want to wear a shirt under it, trust me. Straps + bar on bare back = not good. Those straps will tear your skin up.

+1

Also because the straps will be HARDER to get up when you're all sweaty if you don't have a shirt on.

Lones Green
10-30-2007, 01:12 PM
dude i didnt think mine was going to fit either, mine is wide stance, but im sure this will work for a narrow as well. i just wore it around the house for about 15 minutes every day, and now i can get it on myself at the gym. i hear box squats are good to break it in.

Guido
10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
dude i didnt think mine was going to fit either, mine is wide stance, but im sure this will work for a narrow as well. i just wore it around the house for about 15 minutes every day, and now i can get it on myself at the gym. i hear box squats are good to break it in.+1 for box squats. It will help lossen it up. A few good squats or pulls in it at the gym and it should be set and the straps will be easier to get on. I wouldn't go up in size, Stump. I am not that much smaller than you (and the same height), and fit into a size 50 just fine.

Stumprrp
10-30-2007, 05:25 PM
sounds good, i hope i do some serious damage with this, it should help my pulling off the floor too, i need something to compensate for my shat bench.

Guido
10-31-2007, 09:13 AM
It'll definitely help your pull off the floor. You just have to get used to the setup because it will be tough to get to the bar and maintain form at first when you deadlift in the suit.

Lones Green
10-31-2007, 09:44 AM
It'll definitely help your pull off the floor. You just have to get used to the setup because it will be tough to get to the bar and maintain form at first when you deadlift in the suit.

yeah, i've only used mine once for pulls, and i didnt get much at all from it...mostly because i dont know how to use it yet.

Stumprrp
10-31-2007, 09:32 PM
first day in it tomorrow, right knee is a bit sore but wraps will take care of that!

ill prob work up to 495 in wraps + belt then put the suit on straps down and go from there.

Guido
11-01-2007, 08:05 AM
first day in it tomorrow, right knee is a bit sore but wraps will take care of that!

ill prob work up to 495 in wraps + belt then put the suit on straps down and go from there.
Straps down won't give you much in the Metal suit, just to let you know. Straps up is where you get the real benefit of the suit and you can load up a lot more weight.

Stumprrp
11-01-2007, 08:11 AM
ok sounds good man i hope i can get the thing on! im gonna powder up and wear tighter boxer briefs so

deeder
11-01-2007, 08:53 AM
ok sounds good man i hope i can get the thing on! im gonna powder up and wear tighter boxer briefs so

Get some briefs to wear. The boxer briefs will bunch up and will make it harder to get up your leg.

You'll get it on... Don't worry. If you can get a finger under it while it's on your leg you pull up on the suit and use your other hand to pull the skin through. It hurts like a bitch but you'll get better and better at it.

It's getting it off that may be a problem :p

Stumprrp
11-01-2007, 12:22 PM
too tight, it took us a good 5 minutes to get on, and i couldnt even come CLOSE to parallel with 545! not to mention the pressure build up in my face did NOT feel right, im sending it back and getting a 54, i plan on getting fatter anyways.

deeder
11-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Stump, the first time I put my suit on it took me about 10-15 minutes to get it on properly. You WILL get better at putting it on and I am willing to bet you could get depth if you brought the legs up a bit higher. The pressure build up in your face is probably just because you are moving a whole ****load more weight than you are used to.

In the end it's up to you but since you said it only took you 5 minutes to put it on I'm willing to bet you don't need a new suit. Gear is painful and it's a bitch to get on and off. That's something you'll get used to real quick.

Stumprrp
11-01-2007, 01:15 PM
i hear you man, but i really thing id be better off learning in a semi-loose suit like my bench shirt, im gaining 10 more lbs over the next months so its all good.

TommyBoy
11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
too tight, it took us a good 5 minutes to get on, and i couldnt even come CLOSE to parallel with 545! not to mention the pressure build up in my face did NOT feel right, im sending it back and getting a 54, i plan on getting fatter anyways.Stump, I'm 340 and I wear a 56. The suit is not too tight.

Stumprrp
11-01-2007, 01:48 PM
i really dont see how you can wear a 56 dude at 340, thats my weight + 120 lbs.

its too late, i already sent it back, im gonna have to deal with it for now.

TommyBoy
11-01-2007, 01:55 PM
i really dont see how you can wear a 56 dude at 340, thats my weight + 120 lbs.I just crank it on and squat!

Guido
11-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I wear a size 50 and I'm only 15 lbs lighter than you, Stump (at the same height). In fact, the 50 might be too loose because I have no problems getting it on. It only takes me about 3 minutes, tops. I just don't see how the 52 could be too tight.

Stumprrp
11-01-2007, 02:34 PM
iono G man, like i said it doesnt matter i gotta deal with the 54 im gonna be 240 going into the meets.

i have a large ass also, like huge.

deeder
11-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Stump... There's only one thing we can conclude here.... You're a big pussy. :cool:

But I guess there's nothing wrong with learning with a looser suit. Let us know how it goes when you get the 54 big guy.

Stumprrp
11-02-2007, 08:29 AM
indeed i will, after i squat 605

:-P

WillKuenzel
11-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Hell, I wear a 50 weighing 225 and that's over my briefs and it's still easy to get on. You've got a lot of growing to do to fill in that suit.

Stumprrp
11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
damnit why am i so stupid.

WillKuenzel
11-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Purely to amuse us? I give up. ;)

My loose 50 takes me 5-10 minutes to get it on. I know most guys have to hang in it for several minutes and rest in between attempts at getting it on. Get yourself some long spandex briefs (like underarmor) and slide it on over those.

Did it leave any bruising when you took it off?

Guido
11-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Did it leave any bruising when you took it off?If it doesn't leave bruises, it's not tight enough!

Stumprrp
11-02-2007, 01:52 PM
yeah on my traps lol

Chubrock
11-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Haha my briefs left a permanent red ring around my legs for about 12hrs after I took em off.

WillKuenzel
11-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Then you didn't have it high enough. If there were none on your hips and thighs then it certainly wasn't anywhere near tight enough. My loose suit leaves bruises around my thighs, in the groin and high up on my IT band.

Stumprrp
11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
i didnt really check my legs, iono guys i really dont want a super super tight cant break parallel with 650 suit i want something to learn and get pop off the bottom, i know for a FACT ill squat 600 easy once i learn low bar and learn the suit.

Chris Rodgers
11-02-2007, 10:38 PM
You damn rookie! :swear: Why didn't you consult us first before you sent it back? If you can get it on and off, it is not too tight(with the exception of no feeling in the legs after 2 minutes...then it might be too tight). If you want to be a single-ply lifter, you need to use tight gear. Multi-ply you can get away with slightly loose.

minotaur70
11-03-2007, 12:25 AM
New single ply suits will always be tight- I lift as a 242 and I wear a size 50 viking. First time I put in on I could hardly get under the bar- but it gives- now I can get it on myself in 5 mins. Not hitting parallel with over 500lbs is ok if you can handle it- coz it means you have stacks of support- thats a good thing.

Stumprrp
11-03-2007, 06:32 AM
thats the thing i could handle it and walk it out, not to mention i just popped myself up no prob.

Bohizzle
11-03-2007, 07:04 AM
send the 54 back and get another 50 :D

Stumprrp
11-03-2007, 08:36 AM
ill be lucky if they even take my 52 without charging me a crap load! lol hey whatever guys im SURE ill get carryover in the 54, plenty. you all know how much top end i have.