PDA

View Full Version : Dead Lift Form question

hintsas5
10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Hey i have a few questions about dead lift form.
Around here i have heard how much dead lift is a back exercise, so when i dead lift i try to pull mainly with my back, one of my buddies was telling me that i should use a lot more legs..this video of the form for dead lift looks like it is a lot more legs than back: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

So when dead lifting should i try to go for that type of form more? or try to pull more with my back rather than my legs? (like i have been doing)

Also my friend insisted that i shouldn't use a barbell when i do dead lift but rather i should use that bar that is diamond shaped with handles that you sort of stand in and pull the weight up.(hopefully i'm explaining this well..i was under the impression that that bar was for traps...I have done dead lift with that bar before and it is a lot easier for me to pull a lot more weight, so i kinda felt like i was cheating and wanted to do them correctly). Now everything i've read on here has said that i should use a barbell, so i was pretty sure my friend was wrong about using this other bar, but i just wanted to double check.
thanks in advance.

Scooter
10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Try using more legs in your DL. I think you'll find you can lift more weight

also, use both bars. the trap bar is just a different variation of the DL

drew
10-25-2007, 12:54 PM
There are a lot of articles on proper DL form. It really depends on your body type and your strengths and weaknesses.

Don't pull with the trap bar. Deadlift with a straight bar only and vary the height (from standing on platforms to rack pulls).