PDA

View Full Version : why do people say to up calories when bulking?

bbulla00
10-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey, I've been trying to cut for so long that I'm almost to where I'm ready to bulk. Will someone CLEARLY explain why people say to eat more calories when building than just a daily intake/expenditure balance? I know that concerning protein, it is vital that you consume 1 gram for every pound of body weight. I just want to know what the extra calorie intake talk is all about??? Is it vital? Is it effective?

Keith
10-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Yes.

Use the search. This subject is VERY basic and has been covered to death.

RhodeHouse
10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
How do you expect to get to work/school or wherever if there's no gas in your car? EAT!

drew
10-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Wow.

"Why should I eat more if I want to gain weight?"

That's really what you just asked.

Wow.

KingWilder
10-26-2007, 08:23 AM
you can't build muscle out of air

eat less than you need to lose...so it would only make sense that you need to eat more than you need to gain weight...right?

bbulla00
10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Ok , sorry, I guess what I meant to ask is that why are calories, in excess, so, excess energy, needed to build muscle? I know protein consumption along with a balanced diet is key, but I'm concerning with understanding the idea of what excess calories being stored has anything to do with muscle gain. Why not should intake/expenditure not be balanced? I am not attempting to be difficult, just looking for help with it.

Sidior
10-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Ok , sorry, I guess what I meant to ask is that why are calories, in excess, so, excess energy, needed to build muscle? I know protein consumption along with a balanced diet is key, but I'm concerning with understanding the idea of what excess calories being stored has anything to do with muscle gain. Why not should intake/expenditure not be balanced? I am not attempting to be difficult, just looking for help with it.

pleas use the search and then ask questions for further clarification

KoolDrew
10-26-2007, 10:14 AM
If you do not have an excess of calories, why would your body create tissue that would consume more energy?

You eat less to lose weight, and you need to eat more to gain weight as well.

brihead301
10-26-2007, 10:34 AM
If you do not have an excess of calories, why would your body create tissue that would consume more energy?

You eat less to lose weight, and you need to eat more to gain weight as well.

Exactly. In order to build new tissue it takes extra energy (calories). In order to maintain the tissue that you already have, then the in/out equation of energy should be balanced. When you don't have enough intake of calories to give your body the energy to maintain what it has, your body uses it's own tissue as energy to get you through it's daily activities.

Slim Schaedle
10-26-2007, 11:20 AM
You have a patch of land of a given size and you wish to build a mud hut.

You can use the land you already have to build your hut. But then you are left with pacthes of missing land.

If you bring in mud from somewhere else, your patch of land remains, and you build your hut without having to sacrifice your own soil.

bbulla00
10-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the quick responses.

nejar462
10-26-2007, 07:13 PM
1st law of thermodynamics.

(To equate mass and energy look to Times Man of the Century)