PDA

View Full Version : Eating big.

kez27
10-27-2007, 05:54 AM
Alright, I study Nutrition at Uni, and for one of my classes part of our major assignment was for 24 hours we had to measure everything we ate, down to 0.1 of a gram, and log everything we did during the day.

Anyway, it turns I need to eat about... 12500kJ per day, or roughly 3000 calories (I'm quite skinny) if I want to gain weight. At first I thought this would be easy.

I can basically divide my day up into about five meals of about 2500kJ, or 600 calories. At first I was using a diet analysis program (similar to fitday) the Uni provided, and estimating how much I ate. After weeks of not really gaining weight and frustration, I decided to get really technical, and start weighing everything to the gram.

Turns out I was over estimating by a massive overshoot. I'd eat maybe 1000kJ when I was supposed to have 2500kJ.

Now my problem is I know how much I'm ment to eat, but I physically cannot do it! 600 calories might not seem like much to you, but it is an insane about of food for me, especially when you consider just how filling many protein sources are. 2000kJ worth of roll oats just makes me feel ill all day, and by the time my next meal rolls around I'm still nowhere near hungry again.

So please, do you have any tips or articles you could point me towards on how to get these extra kJs in? I've resorted to near half my diet being protein shakes, and shoting flaxseed oil (bleeh!) on occasion.

Thanks in advance.

dpdd
10-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Make a 1000calorie shake and then you only have to eat 2000 cal's during the rest of the day.

sharkall2003
10-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Have you tried eating higher calorie foods like peanuts, steak, potatoes, and rice? These items have a much larger density of calories, and it will allow you to eat more without feeling full.

RedSpikeyThing
10-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Eat more calorie dense foods and cover eberything you eat in olive oil :evillaugh: Once you fell full and can't eat any more, drink two glasses of whole milk, or a weight gainer shake.

Bako Lifter
10-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Drink my shake and you're almost done for the day. :angel:

The link is in my sig.

1ManRiot
10-27-2007, 05:52 PM
So eat 12 300 calorie meals and/or make use of liquid calories. 600cals isn't a big amount for one sitting, an average Joe probably eats more than that. Are you doing your maths right?

Killa Kurt
10-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Alright, I study Nutrition at Uni, and for one of my classes part of our major assignment was for 24 hours we had to measure everything we ate, down to 0.1 of a gram, and log everything we did during the day.

Anyway, it turns I need to eat about... 12500kJ per day, or roughly 3000 calories (I'm quite skinny) if I want to gain weight. At first I thought this would be easy.

I can basically divide my day up into about five meals of about 2500kJ, or 600 calories. At first I was using a diet analysis program (similar to fitday) the Uni provided, and estimating how much I ate. After weeks of not really gaining weight and frustration, I decided to get really technical, and start weighing everything to the gram.

Turns out I was over estimating by a massive overshoot. I'd eat maybe 1000kJ when I was supposed to have 2500kJ.

Now my problem is I know how much I'm ment to eat, but I physically cannot do it! 600 calories might not seem like much to you, but it is an insane about of food for me, especially when you consider just how filling many protein sources are. 2000kJ worth of roll oats just makes me feel ill all day, and by the time my next meal rolls around I'm still nowhere near hungry again.

So please, do you have any tips or articles you could point me towards on how to get these extra kJs in? I've resorted to near half my diet being protein shakes, and shoting flaxseed oil (bleeh!) on occasion.

Thanks in advance.

I almost get 3k calories a day in shakes......buy some weight gainer, carb, protein powders.

kez27
10-28-2007, 06:28 AM
So eat 12 300 calorie meals and/or make use of liquid calories. 600cals isn't a big amount for one sitting, an average Joe probably eats more than that. Are you doing your maths right?

Yeah, I would've failed my assignment otherwise.

Hard to believe for you guys especially, but I just don't eat much, never have.

Mind you, I have been trying to eat as clean as possible, things like tuna, cottage cheese, wholegrain foods etc. 600 cals worth of tuna and cottage cheese sandwhiches is tough for me.

Maybe I should stick to big bowls of cereal or rice till I expand my appitite.

Thanks for the replies guys.

RedSpikeyThing
10-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Mind you, I have been trying to eat as clean as possible, things like tuna, cottage cheese, wholegrain foods etc. 600 cals worth of tuna and cottage cheese sandwhiches is tough for me.

Maybe I should stick to big bowls of cereal or rice till I expand my appitite.

There are calorie dense clean foods, too: whole wheat pasta, brown rice, beef in any form, potatos, sweet potatoes, the fattier cuts of chicken....

RhodeHouse
10-28-2007, 10:56 PM
No, eat calorie dense foods. Steak, peanut butter, ground beef, chocolate milk. Gaining weight is tough. If it was easy, there would be a lot more big people in the world. You're gonna need to get used to never being hungry. It's tough, but a necessary evil if you wanna be yoked.

And, McDonalds is GREAT for gaining weight. 1 meal from there a day until you reach your goal. McD's is a power food.