PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Diet for rippetoes??

sc0rpi0nz0
10-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey guys im starting rippetoes and i was wondering what would be the perfect diet for it??

i know its like 5 meals a day including the mass gain shake

but what would be the 5 meals consists of and when would be the best time to drink the shake

KoolDrew
10-28-2007, 09:40 AM
If your goal is to gain mass, just eat a lot (don't let yourself get hungry, which would likely mean eat more than 5 meals a day), make sure you get enough fat and protein in your diet (at least 1g protein per pound of bodyweight, and fat half of that), and work hard in the gym.

MAXIMUS can help you get in extra calories if you find it difficult to get enough calories worth of whole foods. When you drink it doesn't matter as much as actually getting enough calories.

samadhi_smiles
10-28-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm doing rippetoes' Starting Strenght program. In addition to 'regular person meals' (a good breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner) what I am doing is supplementing every day with 6 raw eggs (3 in morning in a glass of milk and 3 at night in a glass of milk), 1/2 gallon 2% milk, 1 can of sardines, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, couple spoons of flax seed, multi-vitamin, and 5grams of creatine monohydrate. Thats on top of eating a lot of oatmeal, peanut butter, rice, veggies, fruit, chicken, tuna, steak, potatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, etc etc.

I try to eat whole foods as much as possible.

Every time I lift I follow it immediately with a huge glass of Orange Juice with about 40grams of Whey prot mixed in it.

Its working so far, I am never hungry and have put on about 18 pounds in the last 3 months.

And for the longest time I thought I was a 'hard gainer.' :whiner:

samadhi_smiles
10-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Ah, one more small point.

Don't be afraid to gain some fat along with your muscle, especially if your number one goal is to gain mass. Its hard to gain a LOT of muscle all at once without some fat.

My abs are more faint now than they were when I started, but then again I can squat and deadlift about 80 more pounds than I could when I started. I started at 122, now I'm 140.

I figure once I stabilize at my target weight (165, I'm 5'7"), I'll go into a long-term 'fat cutting' stage.

At that point I'll be going for the elusive lose fat and gain muscle at the same time cut. :cool:

mikey4402
10-28-2007, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=samadhi_smiles;1813408]I'm doing rippetoes' Starting Strenght program. In addition to 'regular person meals' (a good breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner) what I am doing is supplementing every day with 6 raw eggs (3 in morning in a glass of milk and 3 at night in a glass of milk), 1/2 gallon 2% milk, 1 can of sardines, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, couple spoons of flax seed, multi-vitamin, and 5grams of creatine monohydrate. Thats on top of eating a lot of oatmeal, peanut butter, rice, veggies, fruit, chicken, tuna, steak, potatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, etc etc.
[QUOTE]

This program must of been writien around the release of Rocky

galileo
10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm doing rippetoes' Starting Strenght program. In addition to 'regular person meals' (a good breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner) what I am doing is supplementing every day with 6 raw eggs (3 in morning in a glass of milk and 3 at night in a glass of milk), 1/2 gallon 2% milk, 1 can of sardines, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, couple spoons of flax seed, multi-vitamin, and 5grams of creatine monohydrate. Thats on top of eating a lot of oatmeal, peanut butter, rice, veggies, fruit, chicken, tuna, steak, potatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, etc etc.

I try to eat whole foods as much as possible.

Every time I lift I follow it immediately with a huge glass of Orange Juice with about 40grams of Whey prot mixed in it.

Its working so far, I am never hungry and have put on about 18 pounds in the last 3 months.

And for the longest time I thought I was a 'hard gainer.' :whiner:

DO NOT EAT RAW EGGS. God, that stupid ****ing movie ruined everyone's common sense.

The nutrients in raw eggs (particularly the whites), are not bioavailable (search if you must). If you want all of the benefits of an egg, cook it over-easy/sunny-side up, where you have a firm egg white and a fairly untouched yolk. You'll get the best of all worlds that way.

bjohnso
10-30-2007, 02:16 PM
DO NOT EAT RAW EGGS. God, that stupid ****ing movie ruined everyone's common sense.

The nutrients in raw eggs (particularly the whites), are not bioavailable (search if you must). If you want all of the benefits of an egg, cook it over-easy/sunny-side up, where you have a firm egg white and a fairly untouched yolk. You'll get the best of all worlds that way.

Can't you get salmonella from raw eggs?

galileo
10-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Can't you get salmonella from raw eggs?

Yep. One of the founding members of this forum (YatesNightBlade) racked up some hospital time as a result of raw eggs. Best part is, you can't even use the protein. Some searching on avidin and biotin may yield some referenced items.

bjohnso
11-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Yep. One of the founding members of this forum (YatesNightBlade) racked up some hospital time as a result of raw eggs. Best part is, you can't even use the protein. Some searching on avidin and biotin may yield some referenced items.

Never heard of him. I've always wanted to try eating raw eggs, but the salmonella thing scared me away. I didn't know you couldn't use the protein.

samadhi_smiles
11-03-2007, 05:38 PM
realllly?

I'd actually heard the other way around, that the protein broke down when cooking it and eating raw eggs you get the most available prot possible.

I'll check some sources for that, though and report back here.

samadhi_smiles
11-03-2007, 06:04 PM
here is some support to galileo's claim, cooking eggs make the protein more available:

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/128/10/1716

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-04-2007, 02:38 AM
realllly?

I'd actually heard the other way around, that the protein broke down when cooking it and eating raw eggs you get the most available prot possible.

I'll check some sources for that, though and report back here.That would be incorrect. No, it is not the other way around. Cooking the eggs not only removes Mr. Salmonella, but it makes the protein more bioavailable (digestible). No, the heat does not "denature" the protein to the point that it becomes unusable.

Another reason to avoid consuming raw eggs is that raw egg whites contain a glycoprotein called avidin, which binds to eggs' supply of the B vitamin biotin very tightly, preventing its absorption. Cooking the egg whites changes avidin, making it susceptible to digestion and unable to interfere with the intestinal absorption of biotin.

Just cook your friggin' eggs.

samadhi_smiles
11-04-2007, 11:18 AM
^ Thanks for your input, but you're a little late to save the day -

just read the linked study above :nod:

One scientific study is worth at least 10 bodybuilder's claims. :rolleyes:

It looks like I'm off the raw egg diet and back on the scrambled egg diet - works for me - all that raw egg drinkin was getting to me! :alcoholic:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-04-2007, 01:23 PM
One scientific study is worth at least 10 bodybuilder's claims. :rolleyes:I could give you a million studies if you'd like, but one is enough to get the point across. This is written in literally any nutrition book regarding raw eggs and cooked eggs. However, I think the Rocky movies have confused people everywhere. =\ "Oh, oh! He's drinking raw eggs and working out! I wanna be just like him!"

^ Thanks for your input, but you're a little late to save the day -I wasn't trying to "save the day".

Built
11-04-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=300

samadhi_smiles
11-04-2007, 03:49 PM
actually scarz, before finding these studies I found two books on google-books which claimed the exact opposite -

damn non-peer reviewed sources! :)

Anyways, take her easy, buddy ;)