PDA

View Full Version : Gregster's I Wanna Be Big Journal

gregster
10-28-2007, 09:35 AM
I've decided to start a journal to keep myself motivated and track my progress. For a little background, I am 51, 5' 11" and 168 lbs. Over the last 10months, I've dropped 33 lbs of mostly fat. I've been doing home workouts with dumbells to maintain what little muscle mass I have, Included in these home dumbell w/o's have been flat bench, seated over head presses, lat raises front and side, bent over delt raises, and bicep curls. Over the last 6 weeks, I added lunges and step ups, and one arm bent over rows. Also included have been twisting crunches and incline leg raises.
This has been a decent program and I have used it sucessfuly to drop body fat and tone up.
But now I want to take the next step. I joined the gym again and have devised a program to hit the big compounds twice per week.

Workout 'A'
Squats, bench, standing dumbell presses, dips, and abs.

Workout 'B'
Deadlifts, bentover barbell rows, lat pulldowns, (when I get stronger these will be pull ups) bicep curls and abs.

I will do 3 workpouts per week alternating workouts 'A' and 'B'.

The plan is to alter rep ranges every time out for periodization, and to set a record of some kind every workout. Substituting occasionaly; standing dumbell presses for barbell, or maybe incline dumbell bench for flat barbell bench etc. I have an old wrist injury that flares up when doing flat barbell bench so this may come into play.

So today I did Workout A, the numbers are small, so don't laugh ok?

Squat: 95 lbs X10 X10 X10
Bench: 135 lbs X 10 X10 X 10
Standing Dumbell Press: 35 lbs X10, 40 lbs X 10, 35 lbs X 8
Dips: Assisted with 30 lbs X 10 X 10 X 10.
2 sets hanging leg raises.

I didn't feel too trashed afterwards, which is good. The weights are pretty light I know, but I'm trying to find my ranges and work from there.

Any comments or feedback is welcomed. Thanks!!

tigo
10-28-2007, 09:46 AM
nice start man.. here is some :spam: as it seems customary here haha

crazy workouts though man.. .squats and bench on the same day o_o

question though.. are you doing DB presses or bench?
135 is quite a bit for dumbell benching!

Dgro
10-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Your bench is... well, really really good in comparison to squats and dips. Not bad at all!

gregster
10-28-2007, 05:04 PM
nice start man.. here is some :spam: as it seems customary here haha

crazy workouts though man.. .squats and bench on the same day o_o

question though.. are you doing DB presses or bench?
135 is quite a bit for dumbell benching!

tigo...... yeah squats and bench on the same day does seem a bit much, but I couldn't think of any other way to get squats, deads and bench all in twice in 8 days. The alternative of doing squats and deads on the same day seems like too much too.....doing barbell bench. I'm not sure for how long tho, since my wrist wasn't happy.

Thanks Drgo, legs are pretty skinny, and I haven't done many dips before. I hope to make some fast noob gains in these areas.

North
10-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Don't worry, I squat bench and row in the same day and it isn't too bad. Good luck with the training dog

gregster
10-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks North, it's going to be a little while before I get up to speed.

Tuesday did
Bench 135, X 10 X 10 X 10 superstetted with
Bent over barbell rows 135, 10 X 10 X 10
Pull downs with 20 lbs assist, 10 X 10 X 10 superstetted with
Dumbell overhead presses. X 10 X 10 X 10
Bicep curls (on machine cuz it takes the stress off of my bad wrist, 3 sets 10 X 10 X 10
lot's of back ups with a medicine ball and leg raises and cable pull downs. Glutes and hams still pretty cashed from squats on Sunday,

gregster
11-04-2007, 08:30 PM
OK Friday did upper body split as mt legs were still not recovered yet from squats.
Fat barbell bench supersetted with bent over rows both at 135, 3 sets of 10each
Dumbell overhead presses at 40 lbs each supersetted with lat pulls using 40 lb assist 3 X 10
finshed with ab work and dumbell curls and one set of reverse flyes.

Sunday
Legs feeling better so did squats, upped weight to 125 lbs, did 3 X 10 then finished up with cable crunches, hanging leg raises abd declibe twising sittups with a medicine ball.

Started drining my shakes with milk instead of water YUM!

gregster
11-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Today was upper body day again. My routine has kinda developed into a upper/lower split as my legs don't seem to recover fast enough to traumatize them for almost 7 days. I'm sure that length of time will decrease as I get in better shape.

Flat barbell bench 145, 4 sets X 8 -10 superseted with
Bent over rows 145, 4 sets X 8-10

Dumbell overhead presses 40 - 45 lbs each hand X 4 sets 6-8 superst with
lat pulldowns 30-40 lbs assist 4 sets X 8-10

bicep dumbell curls 40 - 45lbs each 2 sets 8 -10
reverse pec-deck flyes 1 set 120 lbs on machine 12 reps.

cable crunches, swiss ball crunches, hanging leg raises

PWO shake Nitrean with milk and peanut butter folllowed by bowl of oatmeal

Weight still 168 may need to up calories some.

gregster
11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Today was leg day. My legs recovered well enough over the last 4 days so that I can now settle into my upper/lower split routine.

Squats were 125 lbs again, but only on 4 days rest this time. 3 X 11 plus warm up sets, concentrating on good form and going slow. might have been able to do another set, but trying not to overdo it. I want NO INJURIES!
Followed up with ab work. I am happy that my recoop time is getting better. Soon I'll add a few more exercises to leg day.

gregster
11-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Upper body day

Flat BB Bench ;
145 X 8 X 8 X 8 X 7, might have been able to do the last 8 on set 4 but I didn't have a spotter

SS

Bent Over Row 145;
8 X 8 X 8 X 8

Chins 4 X 8 (30 lbs assist)

SS

Dips 4X 8 (30 lb assist)

Standing DB overhead presses
70 lbs X 10
80 lbs X 8

couple sets biceps

cable crunches, leg raises

Now adding beloved peanut butter to PWO shakes made with milk
Weight up to 170!

gregster
11-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Wednesday did squats again on 4 days rest. When I got to the gym, (at 5:15 AM) there was a guy using the only power rack. So I started out on the Smith machine. Did a couple warm up sets then did
155 X 7, and 7 again. Then the power rck was available so switched over to that and did a couple more sets in the 5-6 range. Note to self, don't do this again as the form required to do squats the regular is different and my form was poor after smith squats.
followed up with ab work.

gregster
11-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Upper body day

Today did incline bb bench 135, 4 sets X 8 supersetted with bent over row 135 X 8, X 8, then 145, 2 sets of 8, form was deteriorating toward the end of those.
Neutral grip chin assist with 20 lbs supersetted with dip assist with 20 lbs 4 sets X 8
dumbell presses 40 - 45 lbs 2 sets 8 -10, dumbell curls 40 -45 lbs 6-8 reps
hanging leg raises
New pr's on chins, dips and rows!

gregster
11-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Did squats again today. It was on 4 days rest this time and I still had some DOMS from last squat day. So I just did higher reps and lower weights. Didn't set any PRs. I think my body is still adapting to leg work in general and squats in particular. So, no worries. ;)

Followed with 2 sets of leg curls and some ab work.

gregster
11-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Today did

Flat Barbell Bench 165 lbs 4 sets of 5 new PR! Superstted with
Bent Over Rows 165 lbs 4 sets of 5 new PR!!

Incline dumbellell bench 45 lbs (each hand) 4 sets X 5 supersetted with
nuetral grip chins 4 sets X 5 no assit new PR!!

ab work and couple sets machine bicep curls and one set machine rear delt reverse flyes.

Making gains life is good.

Jorge Sanchez
11-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Making good progress. Keep it up.

gregster
11-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks Jorge!!!!!!!!

Leg day,

Squats. Numbers were weird today. I don't write down what I'm doing right after I do it so maybe I'm not remembering exactly right but
After warm up;
165 X 4 form was bad and was tipping to the right
155 X 6 form better but really straining to keep it good
150 X 8 good form
150 X 8 form slipping again

2 sets leg curls
3 sets romanian DL on cable machine. First time doing these trying to work up to real RDL
3 sets hanging leg raises to failure

gregster
11-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I tweaked my back last Sunday after doing overhead dumbell presses. I lowered the weight too fast and kinda 'caught it' on the way down. I felt an immediate twinge in my lower back and it has felt terrible for the last few days. It is starting to feel alittle better tonight so I hiope to get back to the gym by the weekend even if it means easy light stuff. Arghh!

gregster
12-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Back is slowly feeling better. Sunday did good upper body split. Didn't write down evrything so I can't post numbers, plus it was a few days ago now.
Actually I dont know what the point of keeping a journal is if I don't track my progress except for the purpose of keeping myself accountable.

gregster
12-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Back better so did a squat w/o. Purposely kept weight lighter and concentrated on good form, Numbers are

Squat 115
8 8 8 10
leg curls 120
8 8
cable deads 120
8 8
hanging leag raises 3 sets.
numbers are pretty weak but no worries

gregster
12-20-2007, 07:34 PM
I"ve been really bad at posting my workouts here. I haven't missed a day this month.
Tuesday;
Squats getting better. Did 4 sets of 8-9 with 135 lbs with good form going deep.
Graduating to real deads now as well. Did 3 sets of 7-8 with 165. I like deads but have a bad wrist and it really hurts when I do them. I really need to find a way to do them with a nuetral grip. I picked up a pair of wrist straps that have a steel hook in them so I'm hoping this will help. I could use dumbells for a while until I get too strong. I think the heaviest weighted DB at the club is 100 lbs.
Finally getting to the point now where when I go into the gym, I know exactly what I want to do and about how much weight to use. I know what I need to do to warm up and I don't waste much time moving from exercise to exercise.
I am definitely noticing some good gains in the mirror and my clothes are getting tighter in the right places.
This is new for me. In previous years I've started out the new year overweight and out of shape. In fact this past January I was 211, flabby, and trying to coax my body into some semblance of shape. This January I'm 174 lbs, pretty lean and in way better shape to start the new year.

2008 is going to be an awesome year!!