PDA

View Full Version : Taking Back What is Mine

TopCat
10-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Welcome. This is the beginning of my journey to take back my life. Why do I need to take it back? Because over the past 4 years I have let it slowly be stripped from me.

Family problems have plagued my time and tortured me mentally and emotionally since high school. Physically though I continued to grow through lifting; two months ago that was taken from me. In a motorcycle accident I suffered a t1 and t4 vertebrae fractures, a fractured rib, and a collapsed lung. CT scans also showed that I had papillary thyroid cancer. Almost 2 months later I now have had my full thyroidectomy and the brace is now off.

Those 2 months while I dependent on those around me I did all I could; I made a promise. 6 months, 2 years, 10 years from now I would look back and know that I came out of this rut with more than just a healed back. I will become a stronger man.

Naturally this journal is going to serve as a training log. However, in my case I want it to be more. This journal is now a pact I have made with myself; a place where I can find motivation and remind myself what it is I am after. I hope that it might even inspire others as the community has inspired me over the past couple years. This journal is very overdue and apologize for being a lurker for so long!

--- GOALS ---------------
SET [1/07/08]
**KEEP WHAT IS MINE
*Deadlift: 1x455
*Squat: 1x365
*Bench: 1x275
*Total: 1095

SET [10/28/07]
**TAKE BACK WHAT IS MINE
*On 9/3/08 weigh in at a lean 200 lbs or more.
*On 11/30/07 have the neurosurgeon tell me I can resume more of my normal activities.
*Reduce LBM loss until I am healed and ready to put it on.

--- STATS ----------------
[1/06/08]
*Weight: 199
*BF: To be Calculated in a week hopefully
*Pictures (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=103697&page=3) At post #65.

[10/28/07]
*Height: 5'11"
*Weight: 180 lbs
*BF: 12%ish (Abs slightly visible)

--- JOURNAL -------------
10/26/07
Appointment with the neurosurgeon! Not going to lie... I had high hopes. I wanted to be told that I could lift practically anything I put my hands on. Little did I know that his initial reaction was that I should wear the brace for another month allowing me to take it off for sleep and showing. After explaining how I felt, a second look at the CT scans, and a feel of my back he decided I could stop wearing the brace. Activities that do not stress my spine are alright... curls, swimming and biking here I come!

At first I was very disappointed... I miss my deadlifts so much. But hey, I CAN DRIVE. Oh my! how nice it is! After having to be shipped around to class everyday and gaining back the ability to care for myself I am now ecstatic!

This is without a doubt the first chain broken that has been holding me back (no pun intended)!

-TC

TJ2389
10-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Im looking forward to reading this journal dude. I am trying to get to a lean 200 as well later in the new year. Cant wait to see the workouts, good luck!

Dgro
10-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Good luck, compadre

TopCat
10-28-2007, 06:12 PM
TJ & Dgro

Thanks for best wishes and encouragement! I am pumped about the ride ahead as well!

10/27/07
I almost don't know how to start this... .... alright ya I do. WHAT A FREAKING DAY. Walking to the Rec never felt so good! I mean I really soaked it all in. I could care less that it was a miserable day outside, I went to the gym. But, ill get to the basics first then the rant!

*Pull-Ups 1x0 Ha! None... lowered myself and spine definitely felt stress
*Machine Curls 4x8 (medium-high intensity)
*Flys 2x10 (medium intensity)
*Tricep Machine 2x8 (medium intensity)

*HIIT on bike, 18 min/4 miles total with warmup and cooldown

*10 hours of sleep and trying to up my caloric intake and get an appetite.

I didn't bother to look at any of the weight this time around for two reasons. First, I wanted nothing to ruin this session at the gym. I could of curled 10 lbs or 100 lbs, didn't matter. Second I didn't want to try and compare my current lifts with my old lifts. Last thing I need is my mind trying to tell me what I can do instead of my back. Pull-ups were a no go; sharp pains in the spine while rising equals the "I-will-go-ape-****-if-I-hurt-my-back" lift. The flys were not that bad honestly. Because it was a machine I could sit up and keep a lot of the pressure off my spine, was cautious though and only did medium/low intensity. The biking.... damn, doing **** for 2 months really catches up with you!

SPLIT
Next time ill adventure a little bit more with my legs. I plan on doing a 4 day split of whatever the hell I can. If possible ill find a lift for each muscle group I can preform at any intensity . Split will be separated like so:

Day 1 - Back/bi heavy & chest/tri light
Day 2 - Quads/calves heavy & hams light
Day 3 - Rest
Day 4 - Back/bi light & chest/tri heavy
Day 5 - Quads/calves light & hams heavy
Day 6 - Rest
Day 7 - Rest

The order is really going to change from week to week as the intensity of each workout will dictate how the rest days are placed. Another option I am looking into is cutting out 1 of the rests days and moving into a 6 day cycle because my schedule is so flexible (that is a joke I don't have a schedule period right now).

-TC

TopCat
10-28-2007, 09:13 PM
10/28/07
Ahh another day without that forsaken brace! Didn't get a whole lot accomplished today, but did do some stuff. Went and got some food (woot!) so now I don't have to continue to starve myself and picked up some old paychecks. Most importantly started and caught up this journal! K, to the basics...

*Sleep: 10 hrs
*Diet/Intake:
*Cals/Fat/Carb/Pro
*2786/134/ 205/201

Food consisted of:
-3 egg cheese omelet and toast with apple butter
-Protein shake: 2 cups milk, 2 scoops protein powder, Nat. PB, banana, olive oil
-Little bit of homemade giant pizza roll with cup of milk and 3 fish oil caps
-Yogurt, strawberry/low sugars
-French Hamwich (Imagine a ham samwich meets french toast) w/ 1 fish oil cap and 1 cup milk

Diet was kind of crappy today. Don't think I drank near enough water. Also I didn't get to run to Sam's to pick up some meat so had to resort to cheat meals to get it in which in turn gave me more saturated fat than id like. Either way tomorrow is a BIG DAY! Finally meet with my endocrinologist and plan on doing a pseudo-leg day.

-TC

TopCat
10-29-2007, 12:08 PM
10/29/07

Basics
*Sleep: 6 hrs (8 total but kept waking up)
*Weight: 181
*Diet/Intake
*Cals / Fat/Carb /Pro
*1816/ 81 / 135 /143
*Didn't count large chicken cesar salad, 2 small pieces of pizza, and small piece of brothers cake. Gonna guess that all that is at least 700 calories and puts me at or around yesterdays intake. Breakfast was a shake, then had a PWO shake and then part of pizza roll and yogurt before taking off.

Sleep was kind of crappy, same with todays food. Oh well... it was my little brothers birthday. The endocrinologist took longer than expected and same with the birthday so I didn't get to buy the meat. In the end those are just excuses though. Know what? I'm also sick of making excuses to cover up my laziness. Tomorrow I am taking care of ****.

Workout - Legs
*Leg Extensions: 8x130, 8x150, 8x170, 12x190
*Leg Curls: 8x70, 8x110, 8x130, 3x150
*Seated Calve Raises: 12x135, 12x135, 12x135

*Walked about an hour so far today going to classes/gym/home

Workout was great. Started with low intensity and moved up to medium/high intensity based on how my back reacted. Stopped with the last set of leg curls for this reason. It's freaking nice that I can work all of my legs decently though this! Looks like arms and legs are beefing UP! Not a problem though, both could use some meat.

-TC

TopCat
10-30-2007, 09:54 PM
10/30/07

Basics
*Sleep: 8 hrs good, another 2 on/off
*Weight: 178 (not surprising much earlier and yesterday was with keys/sweats)
*Diet/Intake:
*Cals / Fat / Carb / Pro
*2619 / 122 / 209 / 185

Omelet, oatmeal w/ Nat PB and milk for breakfast. PWO (dextrose & protein) shake and then after lifting had another heavier shake with milk/banana/protein/Nat PB with fish oil. Later had a small slice of pizza and then french hamsamwich. Again, I've GOT to clean up this diet. Getting some meat to make real meals would do me a lot of good...

Workout - Upper Body
*Curl Machine: 8x70, 6x90, 6x90, 2x110 (damn you back!)
*Fly Machine: 10x90 (SDTB = Stopped due to back)
*Tricep Machine: 10x50, 8x70, 8x90, 6x110
*Lat Raises: 8x12, 8x15, 8x20 (SDTB)

Overall was happy with the workout! Turning up the intensity some on exercises when my back feels comfortable. I would love to workout my back but I just don't think I can... oh well like I said time to let my arms catch up!

**If anyone is looking over this should I increase volume on the only lifts I can do? Should I be doing 6ish good sized sets for each different muscle group I can hit?

My Life
So far so good. Got some different issues I really want to write about once I get the time. Today I got stuff done! YES! Well... er... no Sam's... but that will happen tomorrow or feel free to chew me out. Either way I am exhausted and already addicted to the feeling! Among other things hopefully will put up some of my thoughts tomorrow since I plan on taking a complete rest day.

-TC

TopCat
10-31-2007, 09:21 PM
10/31/07

Basics
*Sleep: 10 hours
*Diet/Intake: Not sure, between class today, driving around, Halloween and little bros birthday with my dad there were too many meals that I couldn't count calories. However, I did my best to make sure it would be an over and not under day.

My Life
So got the call from the endocrinologists (met with her this past monday...) scheduler today. I'll become radioactive man at the end of the month. Lately I've had mixed feelings about the whole cancer deal, though I usually don't bother to think about it. Honestly... it was really bizarre to hear the term stage 2 and 80% 10 year survival thrown around. But, let me back up. Because of my age I am either stage 1 (100% survival) or stage 2. Stage 2 would only be if the cancer had moved into my lungs. Though doubtful, it is a possibility since cancer was starting into my chest; i'll have thin slice CT scans soon to check it out.

Other thing, and this is FOR ALL YOU WHO CAN LIFT!!! Never, and I mean NEVER have a appreciated my ability to exercise, drive, and perform daily tasks. Material possessions is a different story, but next time your in the gym train with intensity. Why? Because not everyone can and it is something you should never take for granted! I know I wont! One thing I never want to forget about the past couple months is how bad I craved the ability to go pull, push, lift, or run as hard as I can. The intensity I desire is something I want to never lose. I plan on training like I will never see the gym again from here on out :evillaugh: (that is once the neurosurgeon gives me the green light)

-TC

TopCat
11-01-2007, 07:34 PM
11/1/07

Basics
*Sleep: 9-10 hrs
*Weight: 181
*Diet/Intake:
*Cals / Fat / Carb / Pro
*2829/ 114 / 207 / 247
*Food was a move in the right direction. Tomorrow among other things I am hoping to take another step in the right direction. Eating clean makes me feel so much better.

Workout
*HIIT on stationary bike! 10.3 miles/35min including warmup/cooldown. 3 min warmup followed by 6 intervals of 30 sec fast/1.5 min medium. Continued medium pace for 17 min followed by 3 min cooldown. MAN this killed me, I mean I am exhausted... as I should be :thumbup: . No point in half ***ing it. I really wanted to cut an interval or 2 short.

My Life
No Sam's... aha! But wait! I went to a butcher and picked some meat up that was seasoned. Ended up paying more but it is something ill eat at the moment. I can not look at another plain chicken breast. So until I figure how to make it delicious enough for me to stuff myself I might go this route.

Today was also an amazing day because I felt inspired in every aspect of my life. During a lab a pharmacist taught who really made me want to get my studies under control. Physically reading several journals in here inspire me. Belial, KillaKurt, and BCC thank you all for at one point/currently keeping journals.

-TC

TopCat
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
11/2/07

Basics
*Sleep: 11 hrs (:eek: I really can't wait to get a higher level of synthroid)
*Diet/Intake:

Workout - Upper Body
*Machine Curls: 6x50, 6x70, 6x90, 6x110, 1x130
*Tricep Machine: 6x70, 6x90, 6x110, 2x110 (Put a lot of effort into 0x130...)
*Fly Machine: 6x90, 6x110, 6x130, 6x150 (Not gonna push my luck... yet)
*Lat. Raises: 8x20, 8x25 (Back said no)
*Neutral Grip DB Curls: 5x35

Great workout. Back was feeling a little tense throughout the workout. Curls and triceps I am able to nearly give 110%, just VERY timid to go that last little bit; maybe in a week. I upped the weight in my flys quite a bit, for some reason today my back wasn't pinching with them. Tomorrow I was hoping to hit my legs... might not. Full day of rest might be best after the increase in intensity yesterday and today.
:whip:

My Life
Gonna study, ill add more later but wanted to put this in before I forgot.

Stumprrp
11-02-2007, 03:06 PM
good dedication man but you need to lay off the isolation exercises and hit the big stuff (squats, deads, bench)

TopCat
11-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh, believe me I want to! Really REALLY bad. I meet with the neurosurgeon again at the end of November. For those just jumping in, I fractured two of my vertebrae 2 months ago and technically am suppose to still be resting... :tuttut: screw that! I am just doing lifts that I can without excessive risk of breaking the fracture.

In honesty though I got the impression that I could do limited exercises based on what puts stress on my back.

Stumprrp, your videos always make me wanna go lift like crazy. Honestly they have been torture to watch hehe. I love the video of your squat with all the bands and chains... running in like a crazy mofo, in time for me!

P.S. continue doing your stuff. Your helping yourself and the community with the lifts!

-TC

TopCat
11-03-2007, 04:03 PM
11/3/07

Basics
*Sleep: 9 hrs
*Weight: 180
*Diet Intake:
*Cals...... / Fat / Carb / Pro
*2441(+) / 110/ 178 / 187
Ill post up finally numbers little later. Decided it was time to slightly bump up the calories as 2700ish has been keeping me around 180. Soooo after lifting I headed to my mother's house and on the way was gonna pick up some meat from the butcher. Got there 3 minutes too late, place was closed. I was already behind in meeting maintenance goals and eating something too plain wouldn't of helped. I really wanted to boost the calories today... so I decided to stop by wendys. What a mistake! I mean it got the macro-nutrients in, but after a triple and large fries I feel like ****. SCREW THAT PLACE. I remember why I haven't eaten at fast food in months. Hopefully I wont be writing down that crap in months again!

(+)Also had a shake at night, some beans and small PWO shake not added in. Was most likely over 3k slightly.

Workout - Legs
Leg Extensions: 8x110, 6x150, 6x170, 6x190, 6x210, 6x230, 6x250
Leg Curls: 6x70, 6x110, 6x130, 6x150
Seated Calve Raises: 8x160, 8x160, 8x170
Squats: 8x45 (just the bar to go through the motion)

Great workout!... although I think I pushed myself a little too much and worried about my back a bit. Leg extensions I started too slow because I didn't plan on going up that high in weight today. Leg curls still seem to bother my back the most out of the lifts so I still haven't gone that extra step. Ugh, I really wanted to lift harder but I shouldn't be doing what I already am... :bash:

-TC

TopCat
11-04-2007, 11:41 AM
11/4/07

Basics
*Sleep: 9 hrs of crap
*Intake/diet

Rest Day
Needed sooo much. Last night my back was starting to hurt a little bit, I think I slightly overdid it.

My Life
Woke up today feeling like complete ****. Obviously caught some kind of cold/virus as I was achy all over, back felt odd, hurt to breathe, splitting headache and incoming fever I believe. Then again could be combo of hard workout/****ty food/cold outside/stayed up way to late.

Took some aspirin and ate some food, feeling slightly better. Have school work I have GOT to get done.

Hoping I feel better...

-TC

bhsf2006
11-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Glad to see you have so much dedication, but be very careful to not over do it.It would be awful for you to re-injure yourself. Good luck.

TopCat
11-18-2007, 08:39 PM
11/18/07

Basics
*Diet/Intake: Not enough

Rest Day

My Life
The day after my last post I was pretty sick for a couple days. I am not sure if it was just a virus or a combination of hard training/bad food/poor sleep or what. Either way my back felt bad... and it scared me. So I took 2 weeks off. Almost. Haven't done anything except arms 3 days ago.

You can expect regular posting again.

-TC

TopCat
11-19-2007, 08:55 PM
11/19/07

Basics
*Sleep: 8.5 hours... surprisingly still awake
*Diet/Intake: Around maintenance give or take

Workout - Upper Bodyish
Curl Bar: 8x65, 8x75, 8x85
Curl Machine: 6x110, 4x110
Fly Machine: 8x110, 8x130, 8x150
Tricep Machine: 8x70, 8x90, 6x110
Lat. Raises: 8x20's, 6x25's

My Life
Can't... wait... until... I meet with THE FREAKING NEUROSURGEON! Man if I don't hear good news I am going to be really sad. I am not keeping my hopes up because when I start to lift 'hard' my back does feel little odd. I am going to continue to think that it is to be expected to have some pains even when the vertebrae are fully healed. For those of you worrying don't... I am not really pushing myself :tuttut:

-TC

TopCat
11-20-2007, 01:39 PM
11/20/07

Basics
*Sleep: 9 hours on and off... pretty crappy quality
*Weight: 182 (very surprised it was not less)

Workout - HIIT
*Biked 10.6 miles/35 min
*7 intervals of 0.5 min very hard 1.5 min medium
*That includes 3 min warmup and cooldown. Very happy also about the pace, I believe I kept up with my last session if not did slightly better. Although I was HOSED at the end of the workout.

My Life
To school of pharmacy to get some more counseling worksheets done. Ill add bit more later.

Also a good friend is undergoing spine surgery today, please keep him in your prayers.

-TC

TopCat
11-21-2007, 06:00 PM
11/21/07

Basics
*Sleep: 9 hours, solid
*Diet/Intake: dirty but hit maintenance I'm sure

Rest Day

My Life
Had quite a bit of school work due today which went alright. Realizing now that I have a bunch to do for the next 2 weeks and I really need to take advantage of this couple day break

-TC

TopCat
11-23-2007, 12:02 PM
11/23/07

Basics
*Sleep: 8 hours
*Diet/Intake: behind right now

Workout - Arms/HIIT
Curl Machine - 8x50, 8x90, 8x110
Fly Machine - 8x150, 8x170
Tricep Machine - 8x90
Skull Crushers - 8x65, 8x75

Biked 7.4 miles/25 min
Includes 3 min warmup/cooldown
Kind of crapped out and only did 5 intervals instead of the 7 like I wanted.

My Life

TopCat
11-25-2007, 11:10 PM
11/25/07

Basics
*Sleep: 9 hours
*Weight: 186
*Diet/Intake: Pretty lousy. Had some pizza and freaking huge shake. 3 cups milk, serving of maximus, nat. PB, banana, olive oil.

Workout - Upper Bodyish
*Preacher Curls: 8x55, 8x65, 8x85
*Curl Machine: 6x110, 0x130
*Tricep Machine: 8x90, 6x110
*Close Grip Bench: 8x75
*Bench: 8x75, 6x135

First time I've done bench in 3 months... :eek: Felt very strange/hard at first since I have done almost no pressing movements. I did not even bother going up in weight because of my spine.

My Life
Big week!... for a couple reasons. First I start my low iodine diet now, 12/5 I become radioactive man and kiss this cancer goodbye. THIS FRIDAY I MEET WITH MY NEUROSURGEON! Damn, I am hoping for good news. If he says I can deadlift, squat, bench or do whatever the hell I want ill hug the man.

But the otherside of the fence, I have a ton of school work to polish off this last week. It is going to be tiring.

TopCat
11-28-2007, 07:11 PM
11/28/07

My Life:
Low iodine diet sucks... and by sucks I MEAN BLOWS NUTS. Wow, I have to do this for 2 more weeks and I am already almost anorexic. I can NOT eat:
*Any Diary
*Over 6 oz of meat in 1 day
*Limited grain intake

Limiting me to:
*Vegetables and fruit
*Nat PB
*6 oz of meat
*little bit of oatmeal
*eggs whites
*home made bread and some other carbs

It is impossible for me to get my protein up and I am eating more and more PB. I'm not sure that I will be working out because I am scared that with such a low protein intake I wont be able to recovery from lifts let alone gain anything. Ugh.. this sucks

-TC

Slim Schaedle
11-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Strong strong bro.

You'll be back in no time.

What matters is that you are breathing and you got the time to slowly put the pieces back one by one.

TopCat
12-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Schaedle

Thanks for the kind words and I must say I agree. Going through all of this has really helped my appreciate everything I do! That and I need to keep it all in perspective; this is just a minor set back, nothing more. Also I ordered that protein book! Thanks for pointing it out in the threads.

**I'M BACK IN ACTION!!**

12/01/07

Basics
*Weight: 182 (slightly dehydrated)
*Diet/Intake: Today might have hit maintenance! Yesterday I told myself one way or another I'd meet my needs now that I can lift. Today consisted of a little over 1/2 a jar of Nat. PB (~1500 cal), orange juice, little granola and berries, ~1 lb steak before cooking (so less after cooking and a lot of fat/grim I didn't eat), mashed potatoes (2 potatoes worth) and some asparagus.. I'll snack on raw nuts shortly.

Workout - Chest/Tris
*DB Bench: 9x45s, 8x60s, 6x65s, 7x70s
*Standing Barbell Press: 6x85, 6x85
*Incline Barbell Press: 6x95
*Dips: BWx10, BWx10
*Lat Raises: 4x25s
*Close Grip Bench: 8x95

Man was I pumped to be able to lift whatever I wanted to again! :strong: However, by the end my back was really starting to irritate me. My doc told me the bones were completely healed but that I should still use my body as a guide over the next 3 months. By the time I got to the close grip bench my back was hurting, but more on my right side... I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Felt the volume was just a tad low. Would of preferred to stick another 2 sets in somewhere between incline/military.

My Life
A lot has happened within my last couple posts that I just have not had time to share.

First, after some bull**** with my endocrinologists office about them not being able to disclose MY lab results to me I find from my nuclear medicine doctor that my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is 14... it should be .1-.4 for me since... ya know... I don't have a gland. Nothing is done about it though, they will be raising my TSH next week with thyrogen injections. Looks like 125 mcg of synthroid isn't enough for me.

Second as stated, I meet with my neurosurgeon and HUZZAH I can lift/be active again! My back probably will not feel the same as before, which was expected.

When I met with my cancer doctor this past Tuesday about the treatment some scary **** discussed. One thing in particular is that he suggested I go to a sperm bank... apparently there is a chance I could be infertile after this :eek: WTF.

I'll rant more tomorrow. Because I actually ate a bit of food today, tomorrow I might try and work my legs.

TopCat
12-03-2007, 06:18 PM
12/02/07 - Rest Day

12/03/07

Basics
*Weight: 184
*Diet/Intake: same as other day pretty much. Yesterday I was gonna try powdered egg whites... BAD IDEA. That stuff was nasty. Today instead I added in 4 egg whites, though not much it is a start. I hope in a day or two to be able to stomach 8 post workout for some quality protein.

Workout - Legs
*Squats: 135x8, 165x8, 185x7, 205x4, 225x3
*Leg Curls: 110x8, 130x8, 150x8
*Leg Extensions: 170x8, 190x7, 210x8
*Calves: 90x12, 135x10, 160x10

For not having done squats for over 3 months I was very happy! I'm sure the numbers will catch up quickly over the next month and a half as well. I wanted to do good mornings but was pretty burnt and plan on hitting back tomorrow. In the future I plan on a tad bit more volume.

My Life
Crappy diet... also had an injection of thyrogen to bump up my TSH. Not much else is going on.

Slim Schaedle
12-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Get some:

1. sugar free nesquik mix

2. rice dream milk or soy milk

Use that egg powder in there and you are good to go.

Maybe add some splenda too.

TopCat
12-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Schaedle
I appreciate the advice! Though looking through my wonderful book I find that soybean products is a no go. Haven't heard of the rice milk though and I'll have to look into what it is made with.

The nesquik is tough call. I'll have to look at it because the book does say... Cocoa powder and some dark chocolates are allowed! Damn would that be nice!

As far as the powdered eggs whites... is there something I should use other than plan powdered egg whites? Like I said in the other thread my time on this diet is running low so it is not quite a big concern at this point. But you can bet I'll be coming to you for food advice once I'm off the diet.

12/04/07

Basics
*Diet/Intake: same old, though adding more egg whites

Workout - Back
Dead lifts: 8x135, 8x185, 5x225, 6x275 (last set split grip)
Pull-ups: BWx10
Barbell Rows: 8x115, 6x125 (both UH grip)
Pull downs: 130x8, 145x6
Preacher Curls: 8x75
DB Curls: 5x35s (neutral grip)

Next go I'll add a touch more volume and rack pulls. The DLs were getting tough because of my grip giving out so last set I had to use split grip instead of double overhand. Overall I was very happy. I was fearing that my back would of suffered more than my other lifts which did not seem to be the case!

My Life
Ordered Lyles protein book and hoping it comes in any day now...

TopCat
12-06-2007, 10:07 PM
12/06/07

Basics
*Sleep: 6 hours, +1 hour nap
*Weight: 184
*Diet/Intake: Hopefully enough

Workout - Chest
*DB Bench: 8x45s, 6x65s, 6x70s, 6x75s, 5x80s
*BB Seated Military: 6x95, 3x115
*DB military: 6x50s
*Hammer Strength Incline: 6x140, 3x190, 4x190
*Tried some Tricep work but was too hosed.

My Life
Done with exams! Yessss! Also tomorrow I'm hoping the protein book comes in; I'm bored and want something to read. Otherwise everything is fine, had an hour long scan of the diagnostic dose of the iodine... which is where the nap came in.

Alright, off to bed!

-TC

TopCat
12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
12/07/07

Workout - Legs
*Squats
*Hammer Strength Squats
*Good Mornings: need to work on form or flexibility... did not feel like I was doing them properly either way.
*Leg Curls
*Leg Extensions

My Life
Felt like crap this day and day after both mentally and physically which is why I did not post the day of the workout and don't remember the exact sets/reps anymore.

TopCat
12-09-2007, 05:35 PM
12/09/07

Basics
*Sleep: 11 hours
*Weight: 184 (not bad, no food really today)
*Diet/Intake: Almost nothing so far... gonna go pick up some lean beef patties :burger:

Workout - Back
*Preacher Curls: 10x55, 8x75
*Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 6x275 (split grip), 5x305 (split grip)
*Rack Pulls: 2x365, 2x365 (grip was definitely the problem, bar was killing my hands... )
*Pull-ups: BWx8
*Pull-downs: 145x6, 6x160
*Barbell Rows (UH grip): 6x135, 6x135

My Life
Feeling better both physically and emotionally. Not sure why but couple days again I was out of it. I was totally sick of my diet, felt like ****, and didn't want to do anything. I'm gonna blame my extremely low thyroid levels for all this madness. I have to admit though... back day always gets me fired up. Definitely my favorite day in the gym, thank you deadlifts! :D

Protein book (Lyle) arrived Friday and I've been reading bits of it so far. Amazing! VERY extensive book and well worth the money if your interested in the science aspect of nutrition and athletics.

**Tomorrow I find out about the extent of my cancer, if you would pray for me tonight.

TopCat
12-11-2007, 11:50 AM
12/10/07

Workout - Light Chest
*Worked out with some friends and because of the hard back the day before volume and intensity was low.
*Light biking afterwards, 5 miles/25 min.

TopCat
12-11-2007, 11:55 AM
12/11/07

My Life

Not in a good mood at all. The doctor suggested last week I go to get a sperm count and have some banked as the radiation tomorrow could cause me to become infertile. Either way through exams I didn't give it a thought and now my options are to roll the dice and just not do it, or put off the radiation another week or more. Both options suck. I know the smart thing would be to wait if I can't get in for storage tomorrow morning but I am going to mentally break down big time if I deal with this **** much longer; another week sounds like eternity.

-TC

Hatred
12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Good **** in here except for the powdered egg whites.

No matter what happens keep THIS journal. it'll mean so much to go back and see the beginning. I'll be watching.

TopCat
12-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Hatred

Good **** in here except for the powdered egg whites.
Ya I can't agree more, have you ever tried that crap? Maybe it is because I got the plain stuff but sweet lord never again.

No matter what happens keep THIS journal. it'll mean so much to go back and see the beginning. I'll be watching.
Thanks for watching! More people to make sure I don't slack the better! I can honestly say that already it has been nice to look back at all that has happened!

12/13/07

Basics
*Sleep: Worst in a long time... let me explain. First, because of the radioactive iodine (which I took yesterday) every 3 hours I have to chew some gum to get out my saliva (can absorb iodine and have adverse effects) brush all of my mouth to get it out and use the restroom, even through the night. That and I think something is causing insomnia because I just could not get to sleep!
*Diet/Intake: .... .... I'M OFF THE DIET, MWUHAHAHAHA YESSS! :evillaugh: So you can expect today to be over maintenance finally.

Workout
*Inclined bench with DB over head for tri's: 8x45, 7x65, 5x75
*Cybex Cable machine Tri's: 8x8.5, 7x10.5, 5x12.5
*Hammer Strength Bench: 5x270
*Preacher Curls: 8x75, 8x85, 5x95
*Grip: Held 95 DBs for long as possible.

Ya ya, a crappy newbie lifting day... I don't want to hear though! Was low volume and was just targeting a couple areas that were lagging since I didn't feel it would be a great day to go super heavy due to radio activeness and the waking every 3 hours.

My Life
A lot has happened in the past day. I was able to get into the sperm bank yesterday morning which frankly was one of the most awkward feelings in the world for reasons that I doubt anyone would care to read about. It was important because If I didn't get in, my treatment would of been postponed most likely at least another week. Not only did I just want to get on with the treatment, but postponing would move it close to Christmas and if I was on that diet another day I was going to breakdown. It sucked. Obviously went through treatment, and also had the hardest time getting to sleep I've had in months. Good news is I ended up reading 2 hours of Lyle McDonald's new protein book (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/)! I'll be making posts about it shortly.

Anyways, being radioactive means for a week I need to limit the time I am closer than 3 feet to pregnant women, children, and pets. With adults it is just a time/distance thing; doesn't matter if I touch anyone obviously but I can't sit by them day in and day out over the week.

TopCat
12-15-2007, 11:32 PM
12/15/07

Basics
*Sleep: 6 hours, crappy... looking forward to goodness tonight!
*Diet/Intake: lots of dirty, delicious over maintenance calories
*Weight: 189 (up from food and started some creatine)

Workout - Chest, little shoulders
*BB Bench: 8x95, 6x135, 4x185, 4x185, 1x205
*Incline Hammer Strength: 6x180, 6x200
*DB Military: 7x55's, 6x60's
*Side Lat Raises: 6x20's, 6x25's
*Front Lat Raises: 8x25's
*Abs: Incline sit-ups with arms over head.

Kind of torn about what to do. My BB bench has really suffered but I am not sure that it is because of my chest strength. I'm finding the particular lift to be a problem maybe because of my back injury? Compared to what I use to do BB bench is far behind compared to DB bench and Hammer Strength machines which have not had such a drop.

My Life
Started back on my synthroid which should really help get me moving. 2.5 weeks ago my levels were already really low. Being off the hormone since then for treatment has made it even worse... so heres hoping!

TopCat
12-17-2007, 07:49 PM
12/17/07

Basics
*Sleep: 11 hours (lazy POS I know)
*Weight: 188
*Diet: Still on the eat whatever as long as I know I'm over maintenance

Workout - Back
*Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 6x275 (split grip), 5x315 (split grip... easy!)
*Rack Pulls: 2x405, 3x405
*Pull-ups: 6xBW (wide grip)
*Pull-downs: 7x145, 6x160
*BB rows (UH): 7x135, 6x135
*Preacher Curls: 6x75 (was going to do a harder set after but my forearms KILLED)

Alright, I just have to throw something out here... I FREAKING LOVE BACK DAYS! There. I said it. Pretty much every set today I left a couple reps in the tank which I am hoping will pay off for the next round. That and I am so happy with my deadlifts! 315 was feeling easy... and to think 3 months ago I was just getting out of the hospital with 2 fractured vertebrae and a rib :eek:

My Life
Question of the day: Why do people at the Rec wear a sleeveless shirt slit ALL the way down to the bottom with a wife beater? :scratch:

Slim Schaedle
12-17-2007, 08:17 PM
http://www.roseacre.com/

Here's that link I promised ya. It will probabaly taste like ass as well, but in one of those fruit/oat/milk/splenda shakes, you can't taste it one bit.

And to anyone keeping tabs on this journal, this guy has picture f-ing perfect deadlifts, and considering the path he unwillingly took to get here, that's pretty f-ing sweet.

(I saw and talked to him tonight at UC's recreation center)

Truly and inspiration

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming we implement the basis of our discussion tonight about what Lyle wrote pertaining to protein sources ....

Egg Whites:
10 lbs
$62.50
3888 grams protein

Blend/Nitrean( used for example only):
10 lbs
$106.50
3360 grams protein

With the fact that blends are primarily whey-based, we can assume that the digestion and absorption of both the egg and the blend are roughly the same. (with focus on the "big picture" of diet)

That leaves over $40 spent for taste and flavor and vitamins, ultimately getting less potein per dollar.

Assuming that the powder is used in a fruit shake as described above (undetectable taste) the taste issue is nonexistant, as is the issue about digestion/absorption since the shake consists of milk.

:)

TopCat
12-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Schaedle

Oh jeez, that stuff does look like what I tried! However, it is very possible that orange juice was not to mask the taste... or it is different which might be true also! I might have to bug ya for a bit to test before making the plunge. Thanks for the kind words as well. I hope that this journal will not only be a source of inspiration for myself, but others.

12/18/07

Basics
*Diet: Crap, and thus I feel crappy. Tomorrow I'm getting non-CRAPPY food a.k.a no pizza or skyline.

Workout - Legs
*BB Squats: 8x135, 7x185, 7x225
*Hammer Strength Squats: 6x270, 4x360, 4x360
*Leg Curls: 8x130, 6x150, 5x170
*Calves: 10x135, 8x180, 6x180

Got there late and the Rec closes early so I really didn't have a whole lot of time. However, I got in a little of everything I wanted to. For those of you reading this... if you have a suggestion for upping the volume on my legs days let me know!

My Life
Alright. Time to get my ass in gear.

There are things I want to do or need to do both in regards to lifting and life that are just not getting done. Regarding lifting I need to get serious about my eating habits again and should plan on getting some pictures taken. Never had any taken specifically for marking progress, but I already wish I had some from a month ago and can only guess in 3+ months it will be nice. Other things in my life include thank you notes, Christmas shopping, and cleaning my disgusting room.

For those of you taking time to read (which really I appreciate :thumbup: ) my journal, keep me accountable. I'm giving myself the day after Christmas at the latest for getting my diet together. If I don't meet it, call me out. Something like "TC get your **** together" will suffice.

bjohnso
12-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Hey man, proper respect to you for getting into the gym with all the drama in your life. I'm sorry to hear about the cancer, but it looks like your a pretty strong guy despite the radiation therapy AND spinal injuries on top of that. Proper respect also for jerking off in a strange place - I'm not sure I could do that, although I have had to go to the hospital so some dude I didn't know could smear goo all over my nuts, with another guy watching. LOL!

I hate it when the rec closes early. Damn, did you ever work out in the old rec? That ****ing place closed early like every other day.

TopCat
12-20-2007, 07:40 PM
bjohnso

although I have had to go to the hospital so some dude I didn't know could smear goo all over my nuts, with another guy watching. LOL!
Haha, thats sounds like my story of getting a catheter after my wreck. Except it was every nurse on the floor trying... 3rd type is a charm apparently, very embarrassing.

I hate it when the rec closes early. Damn, did you ever work out in the old rec? That ****ing place closed early like every other day.
The pit? Not a lot. I started getting serious about lifting the year before they closed it but I was working out at the YMCA in blue ash because every time I went to the pit it was packed.

12/20/07

Basics
*Weight: 192
*Diet: Hoping to get some fitday posted.

Half alarmed about the weight, but not totally. Today I actually ate a lot of my food before working out rather than afterwards. Also I am still thinking the creatine is playing a part of that.

Workout - Chest/Shoulders
*DB Bench: 8x45's, 6x55's, 6x65's, 6x75's, 5x85's
*DB seated Military: 6x50's, 6x55's, 8x60's
*Hammer Strength Incline: 6x180, 4x200
*BB Shrugs: 225x6, 225x12
*Front/Side Lat Raises: 6x25's each
*Tricep Work: 2 sets of 8 reps

PR on my DB bench :zipit: ! I never went hard on my DB bench in the past, but still I don't think I ever used the 85's. I think in a week or two I am going to just consider this journal a new start and recording PR's regardless of the past since I can't specifically remember a lot of old stuff.

My Life
I'm exhausted from the workout today... and loving it. :thumbup: Also pretty pumped about the DB bench today. Hoping to get a spotter for BB bench so I can get that back together.

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 02:22 AM
Awesome DB bench. Pretty soon you'll be using those hudreds (the ones that are all bent from idiots dropping them). Then you'll have to find a new gym that has bigger dumbells. About the spotter - just ask someone. I've never been turned down 1 single time in 4 years at UC.

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Awesome DB bench. Pretty soon you'll be using those hudreds (the ones that are all bent from idiots dropping them.

haha

no ****

****ers

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 02:25 PM
haha

no ****

****ers

Those dumbells suck anyway.

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I was told they were looking to replace them all, but that obviously isnt happening.

The whole floor is caving/bent/warped significantly in near the 2 back-wall squat racks, and has been getting worse for 1.5 years, so that shows what kind of urgency in out into the free weight area.

But damnit....we have a climbing wall and hot tubs!

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
I was told they were looking to replace them all, but that obviously isnt happening.

The whole floor is caving/bent/warped significantly in near the 2 back-wall squat racks, and has been getting worse for 1.5 years, so that shows what kind of urgency in out into the free weight area.

But damnit....we have a climbing wall and hot tubs!

I haven't noticed the floor by the squat racks. I hate those dumbells because the handles are fat in the middle. That's dumb.

TopCat
12-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Slim & bjohnso

Seriously, don't we all wish. Those things are beat to ****. You know they are bad when you turn the heads before using them. I personally think the 65's are the worst. You know the one in particular that feels like one head is about to come off? I mean when I do my DB bench I'll lower them to a couple inches off the ground and then drop em. I assume that what I do shouldn't harm them. I always thought the DB's are jacked from those guys that just throw them after inclines...

You know I noticed that the other day, I just never put things together. I saw the wall and then of course I notice every time I do deadlifts over there it is much easier to slide 45's off the right side of the bar compared to the left.

12/20/07

Basics
*Diet: breakfast was a wholewheat bagel w/ creamcheese and 50g protein shake made with milk. Lunch burger king (ugh was out shopping most of the day, had little choice), now having a massive shake.

Workout - Light Back & Heavy Arms
*Pull-ups: BWx8x7x7
*BB Rows: 7x135, 10x95
*Preacher Curls: 8x75
*Neutral DB Curls: 6x35's, 6x35's, 3x40's

Got to the Rec at a normal hour.... which means I had 30 minutes to lift before it closed :mad: . Either way it worked out as I wanted to continue semi-deloading my back so I can hit it hard in a week. Should note that tonight again preacher curls killed my forearms (and kill = lots of pain) so I switched to the neutrals.

My Life
Tomorrow I am heading out of town and will be back Sunday sometime, hopefully with enough time to squeeze in my leg workout.

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 10:38 PM
[B]

You know I noticed that the other day, I just never put things together.

I brought a level in one day.

I'm not an architect but it's pretty bad

I even showed Glen (in admin) long time ago.

Short of riping up the building and doing some reconstruction, I am not sure there is much they could do.

I suggested maybe not putting squat racks there, because I beieve the uneven floor is not safe, but that didn't go to far either.

That space would be great for the curl jockeys

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I've noticed that at some places the plates are easy to load while deadlifting, but other than that I didn't think it was that bad (haven't been there in 4 months though). The gym I'm at now has a horribly uneven floor.

TopCat
12-23-2007, 06:24 PM
12/23/07

Basics
*Sleep: A lot, 10+
*Weight: 192
*Diet: Still nothing great. Trying to up my protein.

Workout - Legs, low volume
*BB Squats: 8x95, 6x135, 6x185, 6x225, 4x245, 4x265
*Practiced Form for Hack Squats
*Leg Curls: 8x150, 6x170
*Calve Raises: 10x135, 8x180, 8x180
*Abs

Last set of squats might not have been all the way to parallel, maybe an inch above. Which leads me to a question I never thought about. What is considered parallel? I always assumed the top of my quad, although I guess it could be the center of my leg or even hamstring. If you reading this and know the technical answer please let me know. Other note is that on the second set of leg curls I started to arch my back; not sure if I should be doing that weight.

My Life
Time at my step-mothers fathers/step-mothers was pretty lame. 7 hours of driving to watch a dvd, play 2 games of aggravation, and sleep a ton. If it wasn't such an extended part of my family I would of enjoyed spending the time there a bit more.

TopCat
12-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Last set of squats might not have been all the way to parallel, maybe an inch above. Which leads me to a question I never thought about. What is considered parallel? I always assumed the top of my quad, although I guess it could be the center of my leg or even hamstring. If you reading this and know the technical answer please let me know.

Found the answer myself. Looking through some of the squat Rx videos in the bodybuilding & weightlifting section I stumbled upon Squat Rx #4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZ1HzoH0Rw) which tells us that for power lifting it is the knee compared to the crease at the hip.... which I was not really looking at. However at the 7:30 mark he shows gives an example of when parallel and ATF are not much different when a narrow stance is used, like I do. I'm guessing last set might have been close if not parallel.

Either way great learning experience.

TopCat
12-24-2007, 12:20 PM
12/24/07

Basics

Workout - Light Chest & Triceps
*BB Bench: 10x45, 8x95, 6x135, 6x155, 6x175
*Close grip bench: 10x95, 10x115, 8x125
*Cables: 2 sets of 8 reps tricep work

Really all I wanted to do today was continue the semi-deloading workouts with low volume. In particular I was really focusing on my BB bench form. Really paying attention to pulling in my shoulder blades helped a lot. I'm hoping that the key to fixing this problem is just being more stringent with my form.

Day after Christmas or the 27th will be a max effort back day! Freaking pumped about it to! :evillaugh:

TopCat
01-04-2008, 11:22 AM
From the server reset I lost 2 days of the journal which is a shame. ME Chest day had some PR lifts but I already broke them so no biggie.

12/27/07 - Back Max Effort
12/29/07 - Chest Max Effort

TopCat
01-04-2008, 11:27 AM
12/30/07

Workout - Legs & Bicep
*Squats: 8x135, 6x185, 6x225, 4x255
*Hammer Squats: 6x270, 4x360
*Leg Curls: 8x150, 7x170 (!PR)**
*Leg Extension: 6x250
*Calves: 10x135, 8x180, 8x180
*Standing Preacher Curl: 6x65, 5x95, 4x95
*Neutral DB Curl: 5x40's

Another great day! The squats were amazing. No question about depth on those they were at worst parallel, though I'm almost certain they were ATF.

**Likewise leg Curls were great. I'll put this as PR because unlike the other times I've done this there was no upper body movement and I killed 'em.

TopCat
01-04-2008, 11:34 AM
1/02/08

Basics
*Weight: 196

Workout - Back
*Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 3x275, 8x315, 6x335
*Rack Pulls: 2x405, 2x455, 1x475**
*Pull-ups: 7xBW
*Pull- downs: 7x175, 5x190
*BB Rows: 7x135, 4x155
*Hammer Strength Rows: 4x230
*Standing Preacher Curls: 6x75, 5x95
*Neutral DB Curls: 5x40's

Workout felt amazing. By the end I was definitely getting very tired as I really pushed myself on the DL and RP. I was reallllly happy with the deadlifts although the hardest part for me is WITHOUT a doubt the first inch.

**I had to use straps for the last set... and I was not using them correctly I don't think. It had been a year since I last used them and I had gloves on so my grip just sucked. Next time ill ditch the gloves and wrap the straps the other way.

TopCat
01-04-2008, 11:44 AM
1/03/08

Basics
*Weight: 197

Workout - Chest
*DB Bench: 8x45's, 6x55's, 4x75's, 5x85's, 5x95's (!PR +5lbs)
*DB Military: 6x55's, 6x60's, 0x70's
*Hammer Incline: 6x200, 5x220, 4x230 (!PR)
*Hammer Bench: 4x320

No direct tricep work because I plan on hitting them on my leg day Saturday. The PRs are over the ones I lost from a couple days ago. Either way another strong day, was feeling weak at the 85's and almost didn't push myself. The reps were very hard and I really struggled, barely keeping form. DB Military miss on the 70's was a shame. Could of got help getting them up and got a couple reps.

TopCat
01-04-2008, 11:48 AM
1/4/07

Basics
*Sleep: 9-10 hours

:birthday: No lifting today for me! 23!... whoopie. Hehe. At least I know I'll be getting a delicious meal from me Ma! Here is hoping I take the time little later to add some thoughts in.

bjohnso
01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Nice PRs, Topcat. You could probably do more with the DB bench if those DBs weren't so bad.

Slim Schaedle
01-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Happy Birthday man

bjohnso
01-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Happy birthday!

TopCat
01-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Slim & bjhonso

Thanks for the best wishes. Was a pretty low key day, but thats how I like my birthdays. As far as the DB's go, ya the fat handles are very annoying, good for grip I suppose though.

1/05/08

Basics
*Sleep: 10 hours (prob last day of this :( )
*Weight: 197

Workout - Legs & Tricep
*Squats: 8x135, 4x185, 5x225, 5x255, 4x275 **
*Hammer Strength Squats: 5x360, 4x360
*Leg Curls: 8x150, 6x170, 5x180 (!PR)
*Leg Extension: 6x270 (!PR)
*Seated Calves: 10x135, 8x180, 6x205 (!PR)
*Close Grip Bench: 10x95, 10x115, 8x135, 8x155

**The squats were very close to a PR. I can't remember exactly what my old PR was because A. I never really went low low reps, B. I am willing to bet I didn't go to parallel because I lacked experience/knowledge a year ago. Last set was to parallel not ATF, rest were closer to ATF.

Otherwise another stellar workout. I've been thinking about it and honestly I think a lot of my gains has been due to the sleep and pre/during-workout nutrition. The sleep in particular because a lot of people, and by a lot I mean the majority do not get 10 hours every night (I have for at least the past month! :eek: ). I worry that my calves are not getting full motion on the seated part so I am going to look into doing standing with a barbell. I also plan on ditching the legs curls soon for SLDL's soon.

My Life
Birthday dinner at me Ma's :evillaugh: PIG-OUT time!!

School starts again Monday. Kind of sad because my sleeping habits are going to be hard to break now. But looking forward to it. School and work will make me much more productive and easy to diet on when I start.

My Current Plan
This needs to be updated/stated. I plan on continue gaining weight until 205-210 then start a couple weeks of UD2. The idea would be to cut weight back down to 190. Hoping to get some calipers in a week to get a rough estimate of my BF. Other reasons that might delay/initiate my dieting would be to keep riding excellent strength gains or growing out of my pants ($$$).

TopCat
01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
1/06/07

Basics
*Sleep: 9 hours, kept waking up
*Weight: 199 (with sweats like the 184s)

Workout - Back
*Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 5x315, 2x365**
*Rack Pulls: 4x455, 6x495 (!PR +20 lbs & +4 reps) (Just above knee starting)
*Pull-ups: 6xBW
*Pull-downs: 6x190, 4x205 (!PR Never pulled 205)
*BB Rows: 6x135, 5x135
*Standing Preacher Curls: 6x75, 5x95
*DB Neutral Curls: 4x40's

HAHA! Between blasting my legs yesterday and the poor sleep I thought I was gonna be weak today... little did I know.

Man those rack pulls felt amazing :evillaugh: . I ditched the gloves and used the straps properly. I wish I didn't have to use them though and going to start adding in grip exercises on leg days in hope of catching up. **The deadlifts were stopped because my grip gave out and I was not using straps. I pretty sure I once pulled 1x405... so getting close to PR.

:omg:

I am still amazed about my strengths gains. I mean honestly... I repped 500 with the rack pulls... 4 months ago 2 vertebrae were fractured, the body is an amazing machine.

Also took some pictures other day with my cell, don't really have time to tonight but tomorrow hopefully i'll get them up. Nothing special just a reference, better than nothing.

My Life
School tomorrow!! EKK! Oh well, its another weak quarter for me so shouldn't be that rough. After what I have been through and my recoveries (also preformed excellent academically last quarter) I am pumped in general about my life. Talk about confidence gains!

Slim Schaedle
01-06-2008, 10:21 PM
1/06/07

Basics
Oh well, its another weak quarter for me so shouldn't be that rough. After what I have been through and my recoveries (also preformed excellent academically last quarter) I am pumped in general about my life. Talk about confidence gains!

Yup

Just think of that practically guaranteed 6 figure salary job you will have waiting for you. :)

<---------- Chose the wrong major at UC.

TopCat
01-06-2008, 10:29 PM
As long as you enjoy what your into! You dig nutrition at least (I hope!)

Haven't seen you in a while man, how things been going? I assume you had a good Christmas and so far a good new year and hopefully got to see your lady. Gotta be psyched about the regular Rec hours again! You still going to be coming in late?

Oh ya I hear you have your own blender at work... FREAKING AMAZING IDEA!! I might end up buying a new one and taking my old cheapo one to work!

Slim Schaedle
01-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, I will put it this way....

The holidays have been about 4 weeks of good over-indulgement with the food.

I finished it all up today with a 7 dollar Chinese buffet in Indianapolis with my girlfriend.

Tomorrow is back to business for a looooong time.

Despite all that, I haven't really gained a pound (the wonders of calories in vs out)

I did actually bring a blender into work but I took it back a few weeks ago to give to the GF. She starts a somewhat modifed version of UD2 tomorrow.

But definitely give it a go.

I'm not too sure what time I will be in there. I only have 1 real class and am working a little bit, but I would expect evenings.

I will let ya know man

TopCat
01-07-2008, 03:32 PM
1/07/08

Basics
*Sleep: 7 hours, also took a 3 hour nap :tuttut:

Workout - Rest Day

My Life
Classes were nothing today. So been getting some chores done including stuff in this journal. Posting some of the pictures and cleaned up the first post in the journal to update goals/stats.

Pictures
Hoping in the future to get a family member to take the pictures so they are not so crappy and I can actually do more traditional poses. Oh well I figured something is better than nothing. Feel free to critique and leave feedback on physique and if pictures are too large (first time uploading). Oh ya these are from couple days ago so I was sitting at 196. Not bad after putting on a bit of weight. I figure ill add another 10 lbs then lean back down.

TopCat
01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
1/08/08

Basics
*Sleep: 8 hours, kept waking up again :confused:
*Weight: 198 no sweats

Workout - Chest
*BB Bench: 10x45, 6x135, 4x185, 4x205, 4x215
*DB Military: 6x45's, 6x60's, 5x70's (!PR)
*Hammerstrength Incline: 5x230, 4x230, 3x230
*Hammerstrength Bench: 9x270
*Dips: 8xBW

Honestly, I felt kind of so-so about the workout. The BB bench is definitely affected by my back and likewise agitates it to a slight degree. I was hoping to end on 4x225.. oh well close enough. On the other hand I was very happy with the rest of my lifts. It is important that I continue having good chest lifts as mine lags. I am hoping my back just needs to adapt to BB bench and that it will spurt here in a workout or two; I'll really be trying to watch my technique.

My Life
I am SOOOO freaking tired. I really hope it is just low thyroid hormone... ill find out in a month if thats the case :cry: boy, I am tired. Hopefully tonight ill be knocked out.

bjohnso
01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Looking pretty good in your pictures, man. So have you sworn off motorcycles now?

TopCat
01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Looking pretty good in your pictures, man. So have you sworn off motorcycles now?

Thanks. Honestly, I would love to ride again and every beautiful day makes me want to... but it is hard to justify the risks. I mean it just takes a little mistake, when I think about it, riding is not worth putting everything back on the table to give up.

bjohnso
01-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks. Honestly, I would love to ride again and every beautiful day makes me want to... but it is hard to justify the risks. I mean it just takes a little mistake, when I think about it, riding is not worth putting everything back on the table to give up.

How did you wreck?

TopCat
01-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Was completely my fault and a silly mistake at that. Was turning down a hill while leaving my neighborhood and reached down to pull my pants over the top of my boot. Bike went off balance, rather than opening the throttle to compensate I straightened the bike up. Unfortunate for me there was no shoulder, just a curb into some brush.

bjohnso
01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Ouch. It's a good thing I don't ride a motorcycle, because if I did I would probably be dead. I've done some stupid stuff while driving.

TopCat
01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
1/10/08

Basics
*Sleep: 10 hours (made myself go to bed earlier)
*Weight: 200
*Diet: Crappy

Workout - Legs & Tris
*Squats: 8x135, 5x185, 4x225, 5x275, 2x315 (went for the 3rd, was bad coming back up)
*Leg Curls: 7x150, 7x170
*Front Squats: 8x95, 8x135 (Started working on form, want to add these in)
*Close Grip Bench: 8x95, 8x145, 6x165

Short workout. I had jack to eat and was really tired for some reason. Either way I forgot to do calves while practicing the hack squats. Oh well I suppose, I'm glad I just squatted 315. Reps were good at that. Might of been slightly above parallel, hard to tell honestly because I was keeping my head up. A second opinion would be nice sometime on a max squat, I personally hate it when people inflate their lifts with poor form.

My Life
Looks like school wise it is going to be another easy quarter. However, I plan on making sure it is another good time of recovering mentally and physically.

P.S. why do I feel like crap?!?! Hope I'm not catching something... time for sleep.

TopCat
01-12-2008, 04:33 PM
1/12/08

Basics
*Weight: 199

Workout - Back
*Deadlifts: 8x135, 4x185, 3x225, 2x275, 3x315, 2x365, 3x365 (Last set used straps)
*Rack Pulls: 6x455, 5x495
*Pull-Downs: 6x195, 5x205, 4x205, 6x175
*HammerStrength Rows: 6x180, 5x230, 4x270
*Standing Preacher Curls: 6x75, 4x95, 3x95

Couple notes... First I really don't want to use straps on my DL's but I might need to start it. The first set of 365 I almost rounded out my back because the weight was slipping and I was more concerned with that; using the straps helped my form. Other option is letting my grip catch up, which I might do.

Secondly my back starting hurting after todays workout. It the evil spot that is slightly to the right of my spine similar to when I first starting lifting hard. I am pretty sure the culprit is barbell bench. Regardless I really need to keep note of the pain in here and might either need to take it easy for a bit and/or cut out barbell bench :(

Otherwise another good workout! My back is progressively getting stronger, though I need to make sure I am keeping strict form. I feel the last reps of some lifts like pull downs are getting sloppy or half-assed.

bjohnso
01-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Why not just make it an even 500 on the rack pulls? Lol, nice pulling man. I'll bet you scare all the lateral-raisers in the gym!

TopCat
01-13-2008, 04:40 PM
bjhonso

I'll bet you scare all the lateral-raisers in the gym!

LOL! That kills me, I wondered if I was the only person that noticed. Freaking Rec has soooo many of them. I mean it is almost more common than curls. I love when 3 people are doing them and it looks like synchronized raising. Pretty much the reason I stopped doing them... that and I've got better things to do.

1/13/08

Baiscs
*Weight: 201! Haha!

Workout - Chest...
*BB Bench: 10x45, 8x95, 4x145, 2x185, 3x225
*DB Bench: 6x75's (Took them deep)
*DB Military: 6x60's, 5x65's, 5x65's, 5x65's
*DB Incline: 6x60's, 5x65's, 4x70's, 4x75's
*Static Hold with 75's, ~30sec

NO BACK PAIN! Ha ha! I was fearing the worst going in today also. I figured I should at least try and train today since it had been 5 days since my last chest workout. Then surprise! No pain! But... I shouldn't be complaining :D

Solid workout overall. The DB Incline was a nice change, was able to take the reps deep and hit my chest some more. Very happy with the BB bench as well.

TopCat
01-15-2008, 05:18 PM
1/15/08

Basics
*Should be noted yesterday I did not eat enough. Guarenteed. Way behind today as well, going to sam's after downing some food.

Workout - Legs & very light triceps
*BB Squats: 8x135, 6x185, 7x225, 7x225, 6x225 (Took them all below parallel)
*Practiced Front Squats
*Leg Extension: 6x230
*Leg Curls: 6x150, 6x170
*Seated Calves: 10x135, 8x180, 7x180
*2 sets of medium tri work.

bjohnso
01-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Benching and squats looking pretty good Topcat. I was at the rec last night, mother****er closes at 11:00 now. WTF? What time do you usually work out?

TopCat
01-18-2008, 06:06 AM
bjohnso

Usually workout in the afternoon or evening. Somewhere from 2-7 usually. But that is subject to change because the other day at 3 the place was PACKED. I mean, I there almost wasn't even an open locker in that first section up the stairs. I like to get a good meal in a couple hours before I lift so I usually don't head in during the morning.

1/16/08

Workout - Back
Regular back workout minus the rack pulls and direct bicep work. Main reason is my last set of deadlifts pulled something in my back; I felt a tight pull on right side whenever I lifted something over 45 lbs. Felt kind of rushed throughout the whole workout because I had to wait so long in between exercises to get a spot to lift.

1/18/08

Basics
*Sleep: 6 hours
*Body fat: Just got calipers last night (Fairly cheap ones ~30). I need to read up a little more as I don't want to trust the little guide that came with it blindly. Using them slightly off center to the right of my stomach on my ab line gave me 14%. Slightly more to the right would be like 12%. Haven't been drinking much water either so dehydration lowers that to a degree also.
*Diet: Been eating poor food choices, but I'm concerned about just getting enough calories. I have been trying to shift into some better foods since a cut will be due in a couple weeks.

My Life
Been feeling very unmotivated past couple days. That goes for basically all aspects of my life. However, yesterday I started getting stuff done and today is a busy day so lets hope that fires me back up. I mean only 6 hours of sleep last night worries me due to my habits, so as long as I don't take a nap I'll get a good nights rest for tomorrow at the gym.

TopCat
01-19-2008, 02:58 PM
1/19/08

Basics
*Weight: 203 (Oh ya!)

Workout - Chest & Biceps
*Dips: 8xBW, 7xBW+25, 7xBW+45, 6xBW+70
*DB Bench: 6x70's, 5x80's, 5x90's
*DB Incline: 5x70's, 5x70's
*DB Military: 6x60's (Tri's were hosed, was rough getting this up)
*Seated Preacher Curls: 8x65, 6x75, 5x95, 4x105

About to do a grip workout with grippers after typing.

Wow, lot less people at the Rec on the weekends... probably 20% of what was here the other day? Was fun getting to use finally use a dip belt again, also freaking blasted my tri's.

Squats tomorrow. bjohnso or slim if either of you are lifting tomorrow lemme know when.

bjohnso
01-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm doing legs tomorrow at around 2:00, with 3 of my friends.

TopCat
01-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Sweet. I'll head in around that time and try and catch ya there.

TopCat
01-20-2008, 08:56 PM
1/20/08

Basics
*Other notes... had work today which was off my work template/I didn't know and got a call and obviously was in late. Bad way to start the day.

Workout - Legs
*Squats: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 4x225, 4x225, 4x225 (Worked on widening stance and getting that extra depth. All were below parallel but not quite ATF)
*Hammer Strength Squats: 4x360 (Real deep), 1x450 (!PR)
*Leg Curls: 6x150, 6x170, 3x190 (!PR) Was losing strict form at end though...
*Calves: 10x135, 8x160, 6x180
*Weighted ab work

At first I wasn't going to lift because I was out of it from the total change of plans finding out I had to go into work. But.... if I want to gain I need to be dedicated, so I attacked the weight. Good day. I'm continuing to analysis my lifts and check for appropriate techniques. Changing up the squat stance was nice.

*Ho HO! Senior member now!

TopCat
01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
1/22/08

Basics
*Weight: 204 (Slow and steady baby!)

Workout - Back & Tri's
*Pull-ups: 8xBW-55, 6xBW, 4xBW+25, 3xBW+35 (last rep was low ROM)
*Dead lifts: 8x135, 4x225, 2x275, 3x315, 4x365, 4x385 (!PR) (Last set w/ straps)
*BB Rows: 8x135 (underhand)
*Hammer Strength Rows: 7x200, 6x200, 8x250 (over/neut/neut)
*4 sets of medium rep tricep work

Excellent workout!! :evillaugh: Man, I was pumped after the deadlifts, not to mention that was my second set of lifts compared to the usual first. My form was also pretty spot on today. Weighted pull-ups felt amazing and the tricep work felt great! Only problem is I didn't realize chest is my next schedule training session... I'll have to either swap it or rest longer.

My Life
I'm wanting to go to the Arnold Classic more and more. If anyone reading this wants to go from the Cincinnati area let me know.

Also had a quiz today... didn't do as good as I should and that is because of me being a lazy pos this weekend. Note to self, get my ass in gear.

Coke
01-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Sessions are looking real nice...props on the new PRs.

bjohnso
01-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Deadlifts and pullups lookin' awesome. I looked at your avatar picture, and I don't know how but I don't recognize you. I would think I would remember someone who is as "hardcore" as you.

Slim Schaedle
01-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Damn, you've got Cocoa is posting in your journal.

Poundages look real good!

Get rid of them straps on deadlifts, haha.

TopCat
01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
CoCoa - Thanks a lot for the encouragement! It means a lot!
bjohnso - Ya, in the past I wouldn't of considered myself very hardcore, not that I think I am now. But, some squats with chains would continue me in the right direction!
Slim - Ya I know, straps have got to go. I'm working to catch my grip up. Also where you been?

1/24/08

Basics
*Weight: 205

Workout - Chest & Very light biceps
*Dips: 8xBw-55, 6xBW, 6xBW+25, 6xBW+45, 7xBW+70, 5xBW+90
*DB Bench: 6x80's, 5x90's, 3x100's (!PR) (never did them, though I could I'm sure... still counts :D )
*Arnold's?: 4x45's
*Hammer Strength Military: 5x180, 7x180
*Hammer Strength Incline: 5x230
*2 sets of low rep curls

Good day in the gym again! I've got to say though after the dips and bench I was BURNT OUT. Damn! Had to stop the DB's and go to the hammer strength. I want to diet soon as I am approaching my target weight but a couple things are stopping me which I'll discuss below.

My Life
Thyroid hormones are pissing me off. Wait, no. The management of it is pissing me off. I know my levels are low. I have to get 10 hours of sleep or I am very sleepy mid-day, have no motivation in general, and can't concentrate. The doctor's will not raise my synthroid dose without blood work which is suppose to be done 10 weeks after a thyrogen injection (im at 6). Nurse said that it might be possible to have it done at 7 weeks, which I plan on doing. Regardless it makes life very difficult and I'm tempted to just start taking a tablet and a half and raise the dose myself.

:soapbox:

Sorry for ranting but it has been on my mind a lot.

My goal is to diet soon but I would prefer to wait until my thyroid dose is increased for both the energy and it will benefit losing weight. I'll have a better idea of how long this will be in a week or 2.

bjohnso
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Don't self medicate yourself. You just need the proper motivation. ****, son - I need 10 hours of sleep a day, and there's nothing wrong with me.

So you did manhandle those 100s, right? Am I reading that correctly?

TopCat
01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Don't self medicate yourself. You just need the proper motivation. ****, son - I need 10 hours of sleep a day, and there's nothing wrong with me.

So you did manhandle those 100s, right? Am I reading that correctly?

Dude. Thanks. I mean that. Your right, I need to ****ing get my ass in gear. It starts tomorrow. If I feel like I'm not getting stuff done I'll call myself out on here.

Yes you read correctly :evillaugh: I was surprised I got a couple reps after all the working sets before that also.

Slim Schaedle
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
[Slim - Ya I know, straps have got to go. I'm working to catch my grip up. Also where you been?

I have been in there.

Mon - evening sometime
Tues - 730 pm
Wed - 930pm (cardio, aux, etc.)
Thurs - 730pm
Sat- afternoon sometime

That's pretty much my schedule.

I just wrote a paper on MRSA so I think I am going to go wash my hands for 5 hours and then sanitize my wrist wraps for another 2.

I introduced myself to bjohnso the other night and then asked about his balls.

Note to self: Perhaps not a good idea to ask in the rec center.

I also heard that when Glenn finds who has been using chalk (me) he is going to kick him out.

Can't wait.

TopCat
01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I have been in there.

Mon - evening sometime
Tues - 730 pm
Wed - 930pm (cardio, aux, etc.)
Thurs - 730pm
Sat- afternoon sometime

Ah no wonder I'm almost always leaving an hour before you get there.

I just wrote a paper on MRSA so I think I am going to go wash my hands for 5 hours and then sanitize my wrist wraps for another 2.

Writing those kinds of papers are always eye opening. Speaking of bacteria week or two ago I went into the Rec bathroom. The place reeked and this dude is finishing wiping, gets out of the stall, looks in the mirror, and walks out. If I wasn't mid piss I probably would of said something to him. He proceeded to get sweaty on the track and use the DBs.

Ya I am hoping to see ya on Sunday bjhonso for the squats if that is cool.

I also heard that when Glenn finds who has been using chalk (me) he is going to kick him out.

Can't wait.

LOL! Funny because A. I'm sure the head people really do care. B. because the normal staff doesn't. C. It also makes me chuckle because your actually a perfect example of a good member by putting up weights/not dropping them. It would be different if one could actually notice the chalk on the ground. Only once or twice have a found a little chalk on some 45's.

1/25/08
Operation get ass in gear underway. Have work today and will be a rest day for me in regards to training. Planning on squats Sunday, sooo might be 2 rest days in a row which wouldn't be a bad thing.

bjohnso
01-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Note to self: Perhaps not a good idea to ask in the rec center.

Can't wait.

Haha, I don't mind.

Glenn said that to Pat too, I LOLed. I like chalk.

bjohnso
01-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Writing those kinds of papers are always eye opening. Speaking of bacteria week or two ago I went into the Rec bathroom. The place reeked and this dude is finishing wiping, gets out of the stall, looks in the mirror, and walks out. If I wasn't mid piss I probably would of said something to him. He proceeded to get sweaty on the track and use the DBs.

That is ****ing disgusting. God damn, I'm gagging a little just thinking about that. That place always smells like **** and when you flush the toilet, water splashed all over the seat. I feel like Howard Hughes sometimes.

Ya I am hoping to see ya on Sunday bjhonso for the squats if that is cool.

Yeah the more the merrier. I'll be there at 2:00.

TopCat
01-27-2008, 02:37 PM
1/27/08

Basics
*Sleep: 9 hours... went to bed near 4... ouch.
*Diet: Was bad. Both in the quality and quantity. It has been 18 hours or so since I have had a full meal? I'll explain below.

Training - Legs & Grip
*Squats: 7x45, 5x135, 4x165, 4x185+chains, 2x235+chains, 5x225+chains
*Sumo DL: 5x135, 7x225
*Static Lunges: 6x45, 5x95, 6x95
*Static DB Hold: 100's, 100's both until near failure.

Squats: I feel like I am leaving a set out somewhere... Honestly there was a lot of new elements in my training today so I really only remember the last 2 sets exactly which each had another partial rep I did not count. The chains were a very nice aspect and having some people to train was reassuring in regards to my form. All sets were to parallel or below.

Things I need to practice include my breathing technique and I need to watch how I drive my legs (heel vs. ball).

Sumo's were totally new and I love them. Drive was more in legs than back. Lunges killed me because towards the end of the training I was dieing and had not done these in a while.

Lastly, got to lift with Brian (if you want me to use your tag lemme know) and Pat (you even on the boards?). Was excellent, thanks for letting me join you guys!

My Life
Yesterday was long. 9 hours of standing (life of a retail pharmacy intern) and then went skiing/snowboarding for 4 hours, first time. On top of that I had little to eat and my last meal was burger king (meh) at 8 p.m. Got dehydrated I am sure while at the slopes from 9-2 and then got to sleep near 4 a.m. As usual I lifted much better than I expected. Not only that but I weighed in at 203 which is probably a very low weight.

Oh ya finally was told at the Rec to put away my protein/dextrose mix (by Sean? I think is his name. Short red hair.). Jeff, you think next time I should just keep drinking it? I don't want him to tell me to get outta the Rec if he finds me with it again. I think he said something because superiors were probably around because they.... GOT NEW DBs!! Everything over 50lbs was replaced.

MihalikPJ
01-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Soild workout and great effort, glad you could join us.

Sean, if that is his name, is pretty strict about stuff to me too, he told me that I couldn't use chalk, so whatever I guess.

bjohnso
01-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Don't skip a meal! Get some peanut butter, olive oil, oats, bananas and protein powder and grind all that **** up in a blender like 2 hours before you work out. You can't not hit PRs doing that. Get an opaque water bottle too.

Excellent squatting and DLing though. We'll have to do some tandem farmers walks with like 110lbs Wednesday, if you can make it.

Slim Schaedle
01-27-2008, 04:51 PM
**** the rules.

New DBs eh?

Please tell me they have a normal handle and don't have ends that screw on.

Oh, and for the slopes, get a cammelback.

TopCat
01-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Don't skip a meal! Get some peanut butter, olive oil, oats, bananas and protein powder and grind all that **** up in a blender like 2 hours before you work out. You can't not hit PRs doing that. Get an opaque water bottle too.

Excellent squatting and DLing though. We'll have to do some tandem farmers walks with like 110lbs Wednesday, if you can make it.

Ya I know. Basically I got home 2 hours later than expected and didn't set an alarm. I got up today at 1 p.m. :eek: So I knew that lifting in an hour and eating anything besides my preworkout shake would be bad.

Jeff
Ya, the new DBs have a normal grip. They look solid, Brain knows the brand and I think he listed it in his journal. Ya if I make a practice of skiing I'll get a camel pak but this was just a first time thing because it was college night.

Slim Schaedle
01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Are these new Inteks the hex, metal, rubber coated, etc?

I am going to see them tomorrow but I am very curious, haha.

bjohnso
01-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Are these new Inteks the hex, metal, rubber coated, etc?

I am going to see them tomorrow but I am very curious, haha.

They are Inteks, but they are round, with constant diameter handles and I believe the ends are attached with screws. They look just like the metal ones but they are coated in rubber. Be careful walking around the db stands because those things are going to roll off sooner or later.

Coke
01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Great workout man...glad you guys got the chance to hook up, Ohio bros taking over (I'm in Toledo).

TopCat
01-28-2008, 07:40 PM
1/28/08

Basics
*Diet: Quality/Quantity both up!
*Weight: 206!! Slow and steady baby!

Training - Chest & Biceps
*DB Bench: 8x45's, 3x65's, 3x80's, 3x100's (Was much tougher than before oddly...)
*DB Military: 6x65's, 5x75's (!PR), 2x80's (!PR) (WOW old pr of 5x70's...)
*DB Incline: 6x65's 6x75's, 3x80's (!PR)
*Hammer Strength Bench: 6x270, 7x320
*Cybex Bicep Machine: 8x60, 4x90, 3x110, 5x130

Crappy day in general, pretty good day in the gym... leaves me happy to a degree! Crappy day is discussed later. Forgot the ipod which sucked mentally. Also to be honest, I was really startled by the DB Bench. I was hoping to do a couple sets but it kicked my ass with those first 3, maybe I didn't warm up enough. Either way the military made me happy!

Last note is that my forearms were KILLING me again. I'm gonna call my physician I think. Couple things in particular I notice. First preacher curls are the worst, VERY painful when letting go of the bar after setting it down. In fact I fear taking my hands of that ez curl bar. Secondly it wears my grip down fast. My biggest worry is that it might be some kind of tendinitis.

My Life
Woke up to find my passenger window busted in. Pisses me off, and by pisses me off I mean I would love to catch the tool in the act and beat the **** outta him. Nothing of value was stolen. The thief took my old book bag with 2 broken zippers. Contents? A binder with powerpoint slides/notes, pens, and a pack of gum. For whatever reason he did leave my dad's northface multi-hundred dollar ski jacket in the back... guess I shouldn't complain. Either way it has been a big pain all day and just stressing me out.

Either way... mmmmm twice baked potato and seasoned salmon!

Coke
01-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Too bad about your car getting broke in bro, that's complete bs...nice pressing PRs.

bjohnso
01-29-2008, 09:16 AM
[COLOR="Blue"]

Last note is that my forearms were KILLING me again. I'm gonna call my physician I think. Couple things in particular I notice. First preacher curls are the worst, VERY painful when letting go of the bar after setting it down. In fact I fear taking my hands of that ez curl bar. Secondly it wears my grip down fast. My biggest worry is that it might be some kind of tendinitis.
[B]
When was the last time you took a week off? That used to happen to me too.

My Life
Woke up to find my passenger window busted in. Pisses me off, and by pisses me off I mean I would love to catch the tool in the act and beat the **** outta him. Nothing of value was stolen. The thief took my old book bag with 2 broken zippers. Contents? A binder with powerpoint slides/notes, pens, and a pack of gum. For whatever reason he did leave my dad's northface multi-hundred dollar ski jacket in the back... guess I shouldn't complain. Either way it has been a big pain all day and just stressing me out.

http://www.kmike.com/KWjpg/1911a1.jpg

bjohnso
01-30-2008, 08:47 PM
I'll send you a link to my youtube account so you can check out your videos, and get some form feedback if you want. Your form looks pretty good, and as I said before you are much stronger than you look.

Good workout today.

TopCat
02-07-2008, 11:34 PM
I'M ALIVE!!!!! :hello:

Found myself in a bad rut there for a week. :tuttut: Can't really say why but I was just out of it in all aspects of my life. But today I got my **** together and I feel freaking motivated again! In my absence I did life a couple times, but just the energy and overall commitment was lacking.

Things I need to still get back...
-Sleep... back to bad habits of little sleep; damn 8-10 hours was amazing (and I believe a good reason for my gains).
-Eating... Been saying this for a long time. This is it! Getting the **** together!

Hopefully I'll take the time later to put in the workouts. Damn it feels good to stop being a bitch and get a grip on things! This kind of energy just gets me psyched! :evillaugh:

TopCat
02-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Bjohnso - Ya I would love to check out the videos! Also I assume your lifting this Sunday?

2/07/08

Basics
*Sleep: 7 hours
*Weight: Was 206 other day

Workout - Quads & Biceps
*Squats: 8x135, 6x185, 5x225, 4x225, 5x225
*Preacher Curls: 6x75, 6x85, 5x95, 4x95

A pathetic session in many ways... I know. Basically I got the Rec 30 minutes before it closed so I was very short on time (Got a lot of other things done today though!).

Now I would like to say that the squats felt really good. I really was focusing on widening my stance and driving through my heels (toes slightly off the ground). DAMN that killed my quads, felt good.

My Life
Had an important test on Monday. Didn't do horrible, but not as great as I should of. I'm actually happy as it really fuels me to step up my studies. Otherwise nothing very exciting (thank God, I get enough of it) in my life.

P.S. I can't wait to get my blood work done hopefully this next week. I hate to make excuses but I have believe my thyroid levels were a part of my little hiatus. I also expects some lurkers to kick my ass next time I do that.

Coke
02-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Nice concentrated sets with those squats and preacher curls.

TopCat
02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
2/21/08

Basics
*Weight: 206 in the morning
*Food: Doing much better than past week

Training - Chest
*BB Bench: 8x45, 6x95, 4x135, 12x185
*DB Bench: 4x90's
*Hammer Strength Military: 6x180, 4x210
*Farmer's Walk: 80's

Grip is definitely getting better. Otherwise had the last week and a half off so took it kind of slow today... that and I was short on time.

My Life
Meet with the Doc today!!! YESSS! :) Finally get to find out what my TSH is at. I'm expecting to cut here in a week or 2. I told myself at a weight I would and once I get my thyroid levels checked out. Both are now going to be met.

Slim Schaedle
02-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I am going to kick your ass for not keeping this thing updated!

School is no excuse.

I don't many mL and moles worth of intravenous drug you had to calculate in order to keep Mr. Jones sedated while they cleaned out his anal orifices.

Gym comes first.

PS: you Db bench more than me...keep it up

MihalikPJ
02-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Alright!! glad to see you getting back into the swing of things, I hope to see you around. Keep up the good work.

bjohnso
02-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Hope to see you soon. I keep forgetting to upload those videos. I'll try to remember to do that tonight after class.

bjohnso
02-21-2008, 07:31 PM
1*365

0ObX9jQIMbg

1*405

_xpba86Gnqk

TopCat
02-23-2008, 12:07 AM
2/23/08

It's late... I'll respond to the posts tomorrow. I'll go ahead and say I appreciate everyones ass kicking comments. I had work tonight so I couldn't lift. Tomorrow I'm hitting the gym up.

My Life
So, got to see the Doc on Thursday... TSH was still 10. For me it is suppose to be 0.1, normal is usually considered 0.3-3. Basically that means I have been without a doubt experiencing hypothyroidism. I must also say it sucks... not having drive to get anything done sucks. Also, I have been VERY forgetful lately, the kind of stuff like you go upstairs and forget why you went up there. Concentrating on something is also a bitch.

Anyways, my synthroid dose was bumped up from 150 mcg to 200 mcg. Hopefully things get in line. In 6 weeks I have my blood drawn again and levels tested.

Bupp
02-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Great pulls in the youtube post. Get healthy and live right!

bjohnso
02-23-2008, 12:59 PM
[COLOR
[B]
My Life
So, got to see the Doc on Thursday... TSH was still 10. For me it is suppose to be 0.1, normal is usually considered 0.3-3. Basically that means I have been without a doubt experiencing hypothyroidism. I must also say it sucks... not having drive to get anything done sucks. Also, I have been VERY forgetful lately, the kind of stuff like you go upstairs and forget why you went up there. Concentrating on something is also a bitch.

WTF that sounds like a normal day for me.

TopCat
02-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Bupp
Thanks!

bjohnso
LOL!

2/24/08

My Life
*Weight: 209
*Diet: Best it has been in a while

Training - Legs
*Squats: 8x45, 6x135, 5x185, 4x185, 3x185, 3x185
*Sumo DL: 8x135, 8x135
*Leg Extensions: 6x230, 6x230
*Seated Calves: 10x135, 8x160
*Abs: Planks, Sit-ups

Squats are back to the basics. I have been using a much wider stance than normal and really focusing on driving through my heels. So far it has been feeling great! Also very light on the Sumo's as yesterday was back (including conventional DL)

My Life
Looking forward to feeling better as the synthroid starts to kick in! Thinking about cutting still in a week or 2.

Coke
02-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Good squats and all bro.

TopCat
02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Coke
Thanks!

02/27/08

Basics
*Diet: Still doing good!
*Weight: 211 !!!!!

Training - Chest & Biceps
*Bench: 10x45, 8x95, 6x135, 3x185, 2x205, 6x225
*DB Military: 5x65's (Arms little unstable from bench... switched to HS)
*Hammer Strength Military: 6x200, 4x230
*Hammer Strength Incline: 5x205, 4x250
*Seated Neutral Curls: 6x35's, 4x40's, 2x45's, 3x40's
*Farmer's Walk: 85's (Down the gym, rest... back and rack)

Bench felt great. I always felt like there something up with my bench and the bar turning a little... friends never said anything but was confirmed today! Thanks Brian.

As far as my plan of action regarding my weight, I am still undecided. I still fit into my clothes (barely!) and I know it takes weeks for thyroid levels to level out. Also finals are coming up and I can't imagine starting UD2 with studying. So I might wait until break. Still not sure.

My Life
Gotta write a 10 page paper on the cardiac effects of steroids... here we go!

bjohnso
02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Nice benching. You don't waste time when you get in there. I'm slow.

bjohnso
02-27-2008, 08:19 PM
When you graduate, are you going to be able to sell me rooooiiiiiidzzz?

TopCat
02-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Haha you know it! As it is I eat that **** for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

TopCat
02-28-2008, 08:48 PM
02/28/08

Basics

Training - Back
*Pull-ups: 6xBW, 5xBW+25, 2xBW+45 (reps were not all the way to the top), 6xBW
*DL: 8x135, 6x225, 9x315, 9x315
*Hammer Strength Rows: 6x180, 6x250

Kept it pretty short and simple as I just did my biceps yesterday. It has been a while since I have done reps greater than 8, and when that first time is two hard sets of DL disaster strikes; I wanted to puke.

Coke
02-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Carrying on strong in here guy, keep it up.

TopCat
03-03-2008, 09:09 PM
3/02/08

Basics
*Weight: 112

Workout - Arms (No hating!)
*Don't remember exact sets... did curls, triceps, and grip work. Why? Because as I got there I decided to start my cut today. Was sick of my gut. Yes I am aware that I don't have much of one but it bothers me and my cloths are not fitting really anymore.

TopCat
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
3/03/08

Basics
*Weight: 209 (after training)
*Bodyfat: 12% on outside... Ha! Or 18% closer to belly button, I believe this one.
*Took pictures with my phone again as an ending/starting point. I'll post 'em.
*Diet:
1710 45 54 261
Cals Fat Carb Protein

Pretty spot on... I'm going to eat some raw nuts to get fat up. Food consisted of 4 scoops whey, 1.5 cups skim milk, 6 fish oil caps, 1 lb baked chicken with olive oil, low carb yogurt, nuts, 2 cups green beans.

Training - UD2 DAY 1 - Depletion
*During This I will not be posting weights used, because frankly it was hell and I don't remember. What I post is a rough guideline of what I did in this form: Sets x Reps; there was variation.

*Squats: 3x15
*Leg Curls: 3x15
*Calf raise: 2x15
*Bench: 3x15
*Rows: 3x15
*Lateral Raise: 2x15
*Repeated entire list

*Running: 40 mins / 2.95 miles

Usually tricep and bicep work is included, I left it out because of yesterday. Tomorrow I will include it like I would do normally. Today was rough. The workout was brutal. Sets lasted roughly 1 minute with a 1-1.5 minute rest using 60ish% of my 1-2 rep maxes. Though I didn't get the urge to puke I'm afraid tomorrow I will after being so hosed from today. Then there is the running... Needless to say I have not ran since my accident. The running consisted of large intervals of fast walking for 6-8 minutes and then running at a moderate pace for 6-8 minutes.

I hurt but I must admit... I feel good.

My Life
Here is hoping things go alright even though I am still experiencing hypothyroidism. I will see how I feel tomorrow.

bjohnso
03-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Is this your depletion workout?

Slim Schaedle
03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh **** man.

I started UD2 (cutting) today as well.

First depletion went swell. Nothing like the first time I did it abaout 2 years ago.

I feel bad for not meeting up with ya at the Arnold, but it was like a last second thing to decide to go there Saturday. I don't have your number.

MihalikPJ
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Looking good, keep pounding the weights, good luck with UD2!

TopCat
03-04-2008, 06:44 PM
MihalikPJ - Thanks!

Slim - Ahhhh **** is right lol. I decided to go ahead and go with it. What time you end up getting to the arnold? It was freaking packed there most the time. We got to see the DL competition and ronnie coleman... that man has big forearms.

Bjohnso - Yep this is what it looks like. I'll post before/after pictures to show results if I make it through several weeks...

3/04/08

Basics
*Diet: so far so good. Will be exactly the same as yesterday.

Training - UD2 Day 2 - Depletion
*Squats: 3x15
*Leg Curl: 3x15
*Calf Raises: 3x15
*Military Press: 2x15
*Incline Press: 1x15
*Lateral Raises: 2x15
*Curls: 2x15
*Tricep Work: 2x15
*Decline Situps: 1x15
*Repeated entire list

*Running: 20 min/1.65 miles

Feeling so run down... Definitely need to get to bed early tonight because I am beat. Running was cut short because my roommate needed a ride home... I wasn't really complaining. Squats were so tough to finish today as well. Hopefully doing 40 min of cardio tomorrow.

My Life
Basically see above. Taking up quite a bit of time and I am just trying to make it through first week. If I remember correctly (Slim, your input?) depletions get easier and easier the longer I do UD2. Just need to hang in there...

MihalikPJ
03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Looking good man, just keep plugging away!

Slim Schaedle
03-04-2008, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=TopCat;1884463 If I remember correctly (Slim, your input?) depletions get easier and easier the longer I do UD2. Just need to hang in there...[/QUOTE]

They certainly do.

Mine are going great and I don't feel ****ty at all. We will see once thrusday comes.

Were your carbs high prior to this?

Caffeine, ephedrine, etc?

My weekly carbs have been a little low for the past 8 weeks, so it really isn't getting to me.

I also 100% recomend taking an arginine product such as NOS precursor by Chuck Diesel (www.getnos.com)

It helps so much psychologically and sort of counteracts, so to speak, the feeling of getting depleted and feeling small and flat throughout the week.

Add some raw AAKG and Citrulline malate powder pre workout and you will be good to go.

TopCat
03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Caffeine, ephedrine, etc?
Yeah, only right before I lift though.

Were your carbs high prior to this?

Wow don't know why I didn't think of this. Yes, Sunday and before I was full bulk eating PLENTY of carbs. Thinking back to the book he specifically said to avoid doing such a thing, I can see why now.

I also 100% recomend taking an arginine product such as NOS precursor by Chuck Diesel (www.getnos.com)

I will considering your experience with the diet. I will also have to see how the bloat treats me Thursday night/Friday with the carb load.

Add some raw AAKG and Citrulline malate powder pre workout and you will be good to go.

I'll also look into this. Despite all my bitching and soreness I must really admit that I am already feeling the effects of the diet. I am also REALLY looking forward to moving some good weight Saturday.

Slim Schaedle
03-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I use C/E when waking up, prior to working out, and then after weights before cardio.

I am also doing almost 100% machines for depletion this time.

Last time I was trying to do a bunch of compound stuff that just wore me out. Machines are fun for the pump anyway :)

TopCat
03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
3/05/08

Basics
*Sleep: ~8 Hours
*Diet: Changed it up a little, will post it later.
1561 48 46 227
Cal Fat Carb Pro

Major change was the 1.2lbs of salmon instead of chicken. Salmon was bought from a butcher with slight breading on it and some spices, prob had a bit of extra fat. The fitday totals was with plain baked salmon so numbers really are a little higher. That and I snacked on a handful of almonds.

Training - UD2 Day 3 - Cardio
*Warm-up: ~5 min walking followed by stretching
*Running: 40 min / 3.4 miles!
*Stretching

:whip:

Man... and here I didn't think I would have it in me to run today. Ha! Tacked on almost an extra half mile from Monday. My legs have been so sore that I am starting to walk funny which is part of the reason why I added in the stretching. Other reason is because I am afraid of injury. Considering it has been months since I have ran and then tacking on an extra couple months since I ran any appreciable about of distance it is a legitimate concern. So, here is hoping that it helps!

My Life
Last two nights I have had a hard time getting to sleep. I have a couple ideas as to why. First, I could be the diet. Though I would expect myself to pass out after all the training you never know. Second thought is that it is due to the increase in my synthroid dose. Finally thought is that it is both combined. Dieting causes your levels to usually go down a bit I believe and my constant dosage just went up. I suppose I could be making all of this up as well, so who knows!

bjohnso
03-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing your results with the UD2. I might have to give that a shot myself. I don't know if I have the dedication for that though.

TopCat
03-06-2008, 10:46 AM
3/06/08

Basics
*Weight: 203 :eek:

Workout - UD2 Day 4 (Part 1) - Cardio
*Warmup: ~5 min walking with some stretching
*Walking: 37 min / ~2 miles
*Stretching

Wow, I was hosed. Got up and went to the Rec on an empty stomach and it was mentally very hard. I tried running a couple times but my legs just did not want to move. Next week I'll need to find someone to run with to stay motivated and dedicated.

Part 2 will be a little later tonight.

Slim Schaedle
03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
I never ran with UD2

well, maybe a little jog sprint interval on wednesdays.....but cardio has always been incline walking or light stationary bike

Maybe that is part of the problem.

TopCat
03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
You mean that it is making it hell for me? Hehe could be. Also the weight doesn't scare me at all, I know the refeed will bounce me back up a couple lbs.

Maybe next week I'll try toning down the cardio. The main issue is that from his book I get the feeling that the diet and lifting sets you up for fat loss and the cardio helps to make use of the free fatty acids floating around. I probably should bump up my intake next week though due to the number of calories I am burning off with the cardio though.

Slim Schaedle
03-06-2008, 11:21 AM
the diet and lifting sets you up for fat loss and the cardio helps to make use of the free fatty acids floating around.

Exactly

So in theory, the more work/intensity, etc would result in more fatty acids actually going bye bye.

But obviously we have to balance how much work and at what intensity is actually done.

My squat will probabaly be **** tonight b/c I did light sprints last night

TopCat
03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
3/06/08

Training - UD2 Day 4 (Part 2) - Tension
*Leg Press: 2x10
*Leg Curls: 2x10
*Leg Extension: 2x10
*Calf Raise: 3x10
*Military Press: 1x10
*Incline Press: 1x10
*Pull-ups: 2x8
*Bench: 2x8
*Rows: 2x10
*Lat Raise: 2x10
*Curls: 2x7
*Tricep Pushdowns: 2x10
*Farmers walk with 70's

1-2 minute rests working at about 80% of max.

Diet will be up little later
Didn't put it into fitday but, here what I had (so I don't forget :P )
9 oz of salmon, 2 scoops protein shake. 30g dextrose 20g protein pre-workout. 2x 170g dextrose w/ ~55g protein shakes. 2 bagels with fat free cream cheese, 1 cup of milk and a pack of ramen noodles (Don't ask why but I had a craving for the first time in months). Some creatine was thrown in the shakes and I've been drinking tons of water.

Slim Schaedle
03-12-2008, 05:33 PM
YOU BETTER UPDATE THIS, DAMNIT!

(pharm school is no excuse)

TopCat
03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Schaedle - Damn straight I need to update this!

3/12/08

Training - Chest
*DB Bench: 8x65's, 8x75's, 6x90's
*Military Press: 8x65's, 8x65's, 6x65's
*Preacher Curls: 2 sets of 8

*Crappy excuses for this pathetic session are below.

My Life
Alright, so the snow kind of messed around with the UD2 diet. I had to move back the strength workout to Sunday instead of Saturday due to snow. I'm taking some time off from the diet because I know I can't dedicate the time required to effectively do days 1, 2, and 4. So, I am just fitting in some quick sessions when I can. Rough part is half over, small exam tomorrow, not so bad one on Friday and the big one next Wednesday.

Past couple days have been pretty stressful getting work down so honestly I have been eating poorly and not getting enough rest. Probably why I felt so out of it at the gym.

Slim Schaedle
03-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Schaedle - Damn straight I need to update this!

3/12/08

Training - Chest
*DB Bench: 8x65's, 8x75's, 6x90's
*Military Press: 8x65's, 8x65's, 6x65's
*Preacher Curls: 2 sets of 8

*Crappy excuses for this pathetic session are below.

My Life
Alright, so the snow kind of messed around with the UD2 diet. I had to move back the strength workout to Sunday instead of Saturday due to snow. I'm taking some time off from the diet because I know I can't dedicate the time required to effectively do days 1, 2, and 4. So, I am just fitting in some quick sessions when I can. Rough part is half over, small exam tomorrow, not so bad one on Friday and the big one next Wednesday.

Past couple days have been pretty stressful getting work down so honestly I have been eating poorly and not getting enough rest. Probably why I felt so out of it at the gym.

I drove 1 hour and 40 minutes to Indianapolis early evening Saturday to lift.

No snow there, and the gym was open until 11pm.

And then I drove back here the same night :)

MihalikPJ
03-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah that snow really threw me off. Glad to see you still made it. Keep working hard I know you got it in ya!

I know the feeling of stressing over school, I just look as the time I spend in the gym as my de-stressor and a break from all the work. I think I'm more efficient after I go smash some weights.

TopCat
03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
3/18/08

Just thought I would put in an update. Last final is tomorrow, been studying a lot for it. I plan on a moderate back workout tomorrow and continuing on the UD2 shortly after.

I've done 2 random whimpy workouts since the last post.

Thats all for now...

-TC

TopCat
03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
3/24/08

Basics
*Weight: 207
*Diet:
Cals....Fat...Carbs...Protein

*Doesn't include an omelet I had for breakfast at a friends, lots of veggies, with less egg yolks.

Training - UD2 Day 1 - Depletion
*Squats: 3x13
*Leg Curls: 3x13
*Calf raise: 2x13
*Bench: 3x13
*Rows: 3x13
*Lateral Raise: 2x13
*Curls: 2x12
*Triceps work: 2x12
*Repeated entire list

*Cardio: Walked for 5 minutes and then was on a bike for 10 which included some interval work.

My Life
Well I said I was going to start this again over spring break... so here we go. I will admit the short break was nice as I have been fairly busy just getting things taken care of before next quarter, but I'm glad to get back to the journal.

Oh ya, I also lifted legs couple days ago on Thursday.

bjohnso
03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
How did finals go?

Slim Schaedle
03-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Am I correct that you had your last actual classes for Rx school, and that next quarter and next year is all rotations?

TopCat
03-25-2008, 10:28 AM
bjohnso - Not too bad. A lot of my work was due the week before. However, my largest exam was Wednesday and was pretty rough as it covered soooo much material

Schaedle - I wish, 3 more quarters and I'm done with classes and on to rotations!

Slim Schaedle
03-25-2008, 10:32 AM
bjohnso - Not too bad. A lot of my work was due the week before. However, my largest exam was Wednesday and was pretty rough as it covered soooo much material

Schaedle - I wish, 3 more quarters and I'm done with classes and on to rotations!

Ahhhh, ok.

I keep thinking you are a P3 for some reason.

Hey, I would value your opinion and experience in my new thread in the diet section.

Same to you, bjohnso

TopCat
03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
03/25/08

Basics
*Weight: 204
*Diet: will post following day

Training - UD2 Depletion - Day 2
*Squats: 3x12
*Leg Curl: 3x12
*Calf Raises: 3x12
*Military Press: 2x12
*Incline Press: 1x12
*Tricep Work: 2x12
*Repeated entire list

*Cardio: 5 min walk/10 min run/5 min walk: 1.4 miles

bjohnso
03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Ahhhh, ok.

I keep thinking you are a P3 for some reason.

Hey, I would value your opinion and experience in my new thread in the diet section.

Same to you, bjohnso

I don't know **** about diet, lol.

Edit: I tried drinking about 50-60grams of dextrose with whey about 30min before my last workout - I can't say that I *felt* too hot during the session, but my lifting was pretty good.

bjohnso
03-25-2008, 04:12 PM
03/25/08

Basics
*Diet: will post following day

*Repeated entire list

*Cardio: 5 min walk/10 min run/5 min walk: 1.4 miles

Looks pretty brutal. At first I thought that said "10 mile run." LOL!

Slim Schaedle
03-25-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't know **** about diet, lol.

Edit: I tried drinking about 50-60grams of dextrose with whey about 30min before my last workout - I can't say that I *felt* too hot during the session, but my lifting was pretty good.

Blasphemy!

Dextrose does not make you tired!

And dextrose does not aid in lifting!

Well, at least that's what I heard.

bjohnso
03-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Blasphemy!

Dextrose does not make you tired!

And dextrose does not aid in lifting!

Well, at least that's what I heard.

Am I gonna be banned?

Slim Schaedle
03-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Am I gonna be banned?

Shhhhhhhh

TopCat
03-25-2008, 09:47 PM
10 mile run... LOL! I don't think I have EVER done that, well maybe once. I would end up in the hospital if I did that now hehe.

But, this part of the diet is a love/hate thing. The process of dieting sucks, but feeling leaner and leaner is nice. I imagine that if I stay strict and stick to this I'll go another 4 weeks following this one, take a short break and then see what needs to be done from there.

Slim Schaedle
03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
10 mile run... LOL! I don't think I have EVER done that, well maybe once. I would end up in the hospital if I did that now hehe.

But, this part of the diet is a love/hate thing. The process of dieting sucks, but feeling leaner and leaner is nice. I imagine that if I stay strict and stick to this I'll go another 4 weeks following this one, take a short break and then see what needs to be done from there.

You hitting the caff and eph?

I haven't run into any problems yet. It's like I magically adjust to real low carbs in a matter of hours.

TopCat
03-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Meh, I do before I go lift but otherwise no. This is week is already a lot better than the first week. At this point the problem I am running into is zero appetite. So I am trying to give myself a little slack so I don't run to large of a calorie deficient.

I might take eph more often but I really don't need the caffeine to help with hunger. Only other thing I could complain of soreness. I just like bitching while I have to be strict about my food intake.

TopCat
03-27-2008, 09:33 AM
3/27/08

Basics
*Weight: 206... surprising, I figured I'd be about 3 lbs lighter.

Training - UD2 Tension - Day 4 Part 2
*Leg Press: 3x9
*Leg Curls: 4x11
*Leg Extension: 1x12
*Calf Raise: 3x12
*Bench: 2x8
*Rows: 2x10
*Lat Raise: 2x12
*Curls: 2x9
*Tricep Pushdowns: 2x12

Wow, I felt MUCH stronger this time than the last time I did the tension workout. Considering the poor morning nutrition I smoked the first 3/4s of this session. Now, the performance could be due to the lack of cardio this morning and yesterday which also might explain my weight. However, I am guessing after the 30g of pre-workout carbs I held all the water I drank, yesterday I probably would of been 2-3 lbs lighter.

My Life/The Diet
Alright, so yesterday and today have been hectic/not the best. Yesterday I went to shadow a fourth year student on a rotation at a transplant clinic (very cool!) and then went to work. Being my usual self I didn't get up early enough to run. Today again I didn't get up to run and now the time separating my meal and training will be ~1 hr. This wont kill me but it certainly wont be ideal. Lastly, tonight I am heading up to meet with some friends, which will most likely entail some booze. Again, I don't really care but it certainly wont help the ideal carbo-load. I'll just make sure I don't get trashed.

TopCat
03-29-2008, 02:29 PM
3/29/08

Basics
*Weight: 207.5

Training - UD2 Power Session - Day 6
*Preacher Curl: 6x75
*Push Down: 8x?? (Cable machine)
*DB Bench: 6x60's, 6x75's, 6x90's, 4x100's (!PR).. and damn last rep was tough
*Lat Pull Down: 6x190, 3x220(!PR... sloppy though)
*Hammer Strength Military: 5x230, 4x230 (!PR for reps I believe)
*BB Rows: 5x165, 5x165
*Rack Pulls: 1.5x495, 4x405 (No straps, grip was the limiting factor)
*Leg Press: 6x590, 6x590
*Leg Curl: 6x170, 6x170
*Leg Ext: 6x250, 6x290 (!PR)
*Calves: 8x160, 6x160
*Push Downs: 8x??, 6x??
*Preacher Curls: 6x95, 4x105
*Farmers walk with 75's

A lot of volume I know, but that is the downfall of having to do a full body routine. Either way... DAMN! What a workout, felt like a blimp and was matching/making some PR's! With all the talk about pre/during workout nutrition I got a dark water bottle and sipped on some protein/dextrose which helped also.

Coke
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Good job with the new PRs TopCat, looking strong overall.

Slim Schaedle
03-29-2008, 02:33 PM
3/29/08

With all the talk about pre/during workout nutrition I got a dark water bottle and sipped on some protein/dextrose which helped also.

I cordially invite you to post in my thread.

I am waiving the mandatory pubmed study to gain entry.

TopCat
03-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Coke -Thanks! I'll be bitching again Monday/Tuesday but Saturdays on this diet are freaking amazing! :evillaugh:

Schaedle - Ya I'll be sure to put in some more input and start keeping track of what I do on saturdays.

bjohnso
03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Good job with the PRs man. You rack pull quite a bit too.

TopCat
03-30-2008, 07:53 PM
bjohnson - Thanks, it was honestly a great day. I'm hoping this Saturday turns out the same way.

3/30/08

Basics
*Diet: Will end up a little under maintenance. Had some stuff I've been craving like Chipotle and 3 thin-mints :burger:

Training - UD2 Optional Cardio - Day 7
*Walked for 3 minutes, then ran ~1 mile at 7 minute pace, walked another 5 minutes then did a bit of stretching.

My Life
I'm freaking tired. Otherwise school starts tomorrow and in a week I get my blood work done again and get to see how the thyroid levels have been doing on the 200 mcg dose.

MihalikPJ
03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Wow looking great nice PR's there.

How are you feeling with the UD2, are you noticing results?

TopCat
03-31-2008, 06:23 PM
3/31/08

Basics
*Sleep: 6 hours... ugh
*Diet: Decent so far, gonna try and up little bit of protein/fat due to cardio

Training - UD2 Day 1 - Depletion
*Squats: 3x13
*Leg Curls: 3x13
*Calf raise: 2x13
*Lateral Raise: 2x13
*Triceps work: 2x12
*Repeated entire list

*Cardio: 5 min walking followed by running/walking/running which totaled 1.6 miles in 17 min. Pathetic compared to what I use to be able to do years ago... then again I weigh ~40 lbs more hehe. Definitely improving though!

My Life
WOW. School is going to be hell this quarter. Today was the first day, already have a quiz tomorrow and Wednesday. I'm off to the college of pharmacy now to get some work done and then hopefully a good nights rest.

-TC

TopCat
03-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Wow looking great nice PR's there.

How are you feeling with the UD2, are you noticing results?

Definitely. It is the one thing I enjoy about the diet is how relatively soon you start seeing results. In a way you get the best of both worlds: Early in the week I really lean out, and then towards the end I curb my food cravings and get in a great power workout. Stubborn areas are slowly going down, but the vasculature of my shoulders/arms is already noticeably different. At this point the workouts are getting easier to tolerate, same with the nutritional aspects; it just takes time to adjust to it.

I did take some picture before I started my first round. In 4 weeks or so I figure I'll take some more with my phone and post up to compare.

TopCat
04-01-2008, 07:29 PM
4/01/08

Basics

*Repeated entire list

*Also did farmer's walk with 75's
*No cardio :(

Thought I would do a good deed today and help this guy. He was doing barbell rows with horrible form, bad enough I wasn't sure what he was trying to accomplish. So I ask if he trying to work his lats, his reply is... "no, I am working my back and shoulders." I said ok and left it at that. I mean if he doesn't know lats are his back he has larger problems.

My Life
Busy.

TopCat
04-02-2008, 09:11 PM
4/02/08

Basics
*Sleep: <6 hours :tuttut:
*Weight: 203.5
*Diet: So far so good, after cardio can prob slightly up fats.

Training - UD2 Rest/Cardio - Day 3
*Running: 20 min, 2.15 miles (PR! not lifting... but still, best for past 2? years)... MUCH better than I have done so far. I did my usual 5 minutes before/after but this time it was continuous running for 20 minutes at 7.0 speed, with a little 8.0 towards the end. Honestly, it felt great... minus the last 2 minutes.
*5+ minutes of stretching

*Only note is that about a week ago my left knee bothered me a little bit, tonight it is a little worse and going up stairs is particularly bad. I think it is all the stress including standing at work. I should ice my knee, doubt I will though. I will also need to watch my form on squats and take it easy with them and maybe just not do leg extensions this week (I know they are bad for your knees).

Anyone know if one of those sleeves would help for my knee?

Tomorrow
Alright, because of the good run tonight/lack of sleep past couple nights I am sleeping in tomorrow and skipping the cardio. I have class 1-3 and work 3:30-8 so I probably wont do the tension until 8:30ish. So... it will be a long day anyways, no need for the extra cardio.

Slim Schaedle
04-02-2008, 09:21 PM
i MIGHT BE IN THERE LATE TOO.

Not sure yet

eh, stupid caps lock on lab computers....

TopCat
04-02-2008, 09:30 PM
i MIGHT BE IN THERE LATE TOO.

Not sure yet

eh, stupid caps lock on lab computers....

Ha! Well hopefully I'll run into you then, I'm surprised I haven't seen you yet. You must usually go after 7 I'm guessing?

Slim Schaedle
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Ha! Well hopefully I'll run into you then, I'm surprised I haven't seen you yet. You must usually go after 7 I'm guessing?

Diffrent now that class/work has changed

I am still not sure when I will be in there week by week yet.

MihalikPJ
04-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Nice PR, try putting a slight incline on the treadmill (about 3% works pretty good for me at least) it might help with the knees and shin splints (if you have them).

Yeah I feel ya on the leg extensions, although I feel that squating ends up hurting my knees more for some reason, probably because of my sorry ass form. For the leg extensions I usually dont let leg come down past 90 too much, this has also helped me reduce the pain in my knees. Just some observations of my own that may be of use.

Anyways best of luck, looking good and keep it up!

TopCat
04-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Nice PR, try putting a slight incline on the treadmill (about 3% works pretty good for me at least) it might help with the knees and shin splints (if you have them).

Yeah I feel ya on the leg extensions, although I feel that squating ends up hurting my knees more for some reason, probably because of my sorry ass form. For the leg extensions I usually dont let leg come down past 90 too much, this has also helped me reduce the pain in my knees. Just some observations of my own that may be of use.

Anyways best of luck, looking good and keep it up!

No shin splints yet. I use to get them in high school but I found that warming up and cooling down properly really helped with them.

I'll give the incline a try and with leg extensions that is a good idea. You ever used a knee sleeve or anything like that?

MihalikPJ
04-03-2008, 09:54 AM
You ever used a knee sleeve or anything like that?

Yup I got the ones that Jeff recommended from APT, I really like them keep the knees warm and patella in place. A good investment thus far.

TK Bands

http://www.prowriststraps.com/tk_knee_bands_tommy_kono_knee_bands_support

TopCat
04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Sweet, thanks for the link! I think I might also order some wrist wraps since I have been wanting a pair also. Although, I am kind of lost when it comes to size/length...

Schaedle you have some experience with wrist wraps right?

Slim Schaedle
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Sweet, thanks for the link! I think I might also order some wrist wraps since I have been wanting a pair also. Although, I am kind of lost when it comes to size/length...

Schaedle you have some experience with wrist wraps right?

I just wear them to look cool.

Actually, I started with some cheapy ones from Dicks (sporting goods)

Looking back they did not really do much, but they looked kinda cool.

I picked up some Metal ones from EliteFTS and one pair lasted about a year before the thumb thingy stretched out. I have another pair.

The red and black Inzer ones should be very good but I have no experience with them.

I just went with the Metal ones b/c they were the only solid black I could find.

bjohnso
04-03-2008, 05:29 PM
TopCat, what time are you going to be there Saturday?

TopCat
04-03-2008, 07:01 PM
TopCat, what time are you going to be there Saturday?

Hehe, you can use my first name, I don't really care I just use everyone's user name because I don't know if they care.

Anywho, I can be there anytime. I have no plans for the day and the only real restriction is that I eat 3-4 hours before I go, so I imagine 2-3 is probably when I'll be in there. If you want to meet up and go at a later time thats fine with me.

bjohnso
04-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Hehe, you can use my first name, I don't really care I just use everyone's user name because I don't know if they care.

Anywho, I can be there anytime. I have no plans for the day and the only real restriction is that I eat 3-4 hours before I go, so I imagine 2-3 is probably when I'll be in there. If you want to meet up and go at a later time thats fine with me.

I guess I should have added that I'll be there if I'm not working. I might work on Saturday because I need money.

TopCat
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
04/03/08

Basics
*Sleep: 10 hours :evillaugh:
*Weight: 205 (after training)

*Leg Press: 2x11
*Leg Curls: 3x12
*Leg Extension: 1x12
*Calf Raise: 3x12
*Bench: 2x12
*Rows: 2x12
*Lat Raise: 2x10
*Curls: 2x8
*Tricep Pushdowns: 2x12

My Life
Apparently have some catching up to do around WBB. Making some carb foods for tomorrow though.

Slim Schaedle
04-03-2008, 09:52 PM
04/03/08

My Life
Apparently have some catching up to do around WBB. Making some carb foods for tomorrow though.

Yes. Yes, you do.

You have lots of homework.

PS: I will be around Saturday at the rec. Leaving for Indy afterwards.

We had a good talk tonight...thanks for taking time out of your session.

TopCat
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
A quote from Built I would like to add to my journal for future reference because of how wonderful it explains a topic:

Preworkout glucose works by sparing glycogen, thus keeping the workout intensity going longer (but not by increasing individual lifts), which means more TUT, more microtrauma, more load being lifted if the reps you can crank out are increased - even if only slightly. It also means better and faster recovery because insulin blunts cortisol and you're all sugared up from the get-go, rather than trying to put out a fire at the end of the workout. Provided you don't do a long, high-volume workout, you'll have glucose and insulin in the right time and in the right place to initiate muscle repair right away.

MihalikPJ
04-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Ahhh great quote!!

Looking good on the tension day keep it up, I'm looking forward to see some progress pics; not in a gay way though... haha

bjohnso
04-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I'll be there tomorrow at 2.

Slim Schaedle
04-06-2008, 02:28 PM
This needs an update, son.

Like now! Foo

TopCat
04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
4/05/08

Basics
*Weight: 206

Training - UD2 Strength - Day 6
*I did a lot of things and was there for a long time. Sorry for no specifics. It was a good session though

TopCat
04-06-2008, 07:37 PM
4/06/08

Basics
*Sleep: 10ish hours

Training - UD2 Optional Cardio - Day 7
*I ran outside today because it was beautiful. I ran up Clifton from ludelow and then did a loop around campus.

I must say, DAMN, those hills killed me. Pretty much each corner of campus I had to walk. Also confirmed today the running is bothering my knees because it hurts like a bitch right now. So, I will be cutting intensive running sessions out and substituting with something else.

My Life
As always going to be a busy week. Also this weekend I might be attending some pharmacy convention which might make it difficult to lift Saturday... I've got to look into tonight/tomorrow morning to know if I can do UD2. Back to studying!

jbrin0tk
04-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey man, I saw you were talking about wrist wraps. I've heard good things about the Inzer wraps, but I've never used them. I just got some APT wraps and they are amazing. I got the 36' length because I feel I get more support (i.e. more material/more support). Just thought I'd chime in!

MihalikPJ
04-07-2008, 06:04 AM
4/06/08
I ran up Clifton from ludelow and then did a loop around campus.

I must say, DAMN, those hills killed me. Pretty much each corner of campus I had to walk. Also confirmed today the running is bothering my knees because it hurts like a bitch right now. So, I will be cutting intensive running sessions out and substituting with something else.

Haha yeah I have done that loop before its a bit rough, I was beat after that!!!

Bummer about the knees, mabye you could cycle, or try some interval training? Anyways, best of luck!

Slim Schaedle
04-07-2008, 09:57 AM
BTW, thanks for sticking around on Saturday for those deads.

I threw the 2.5s on, and it went up good too. ha

bjohnso
04-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Substitute running with swimming. That's what I did on Sunday, I almost drowned too (I don't want you to drown though).

TopCat
04-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey man, I saw you were talking about wrist wraps. I've heard good things about the Inzer wraps, but I've never used them. I just got some APT wraps and they are amazing. I got the 36' length because I feel I get more support (i.e. more material/more support). Just thought I'd chime in!

jbrin0tk - Thanks! I appreciate the input! I'm planning on ordering those and the knee sleeves tonight. Although, I might go with the 24" length.

MihalikPJ / bjohnson - Ya thats exactly what I was thinking

Schaedle - Not a problem, was sweet seeing 495.... even sweeter hearing it fall 3 feet :D

4/07/08

Basics

Training - UD2 Depletion - Day 1
*Military Press: 3x12
*Lat Pulldowns: 6x12
*Incline Press: 6x12
*Lateral Raises: 4x15
*Curls: 4x12
*Tricep Work: 4x12
*Farmer's Walk: 75's

*10 minutes or so of stretching

Basically I tried to do 1.5 days of upper body and 0.5 of lower body. Tomorrow I am hoping to switch that around (Gonna be hell... 9 sets of squats :whip: )

Slim Schaedle
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
[Schaedle - Not a problem, was sweet seeing 495.... even sweeter hearing it fall 3 feet :D

hahahah

Added more chalk second time, haha

bjohnso
04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
hahahah

Added more chalk second time, haha

You hit 500?

Slim Schaedle
04-07-2008, 05:39 PM
You hit 500?

Yeah, I hit 515 last May, but when I started dating my GF I got waaaay too lax on stuff and got off track. Trying for 600 by Christmas.

It was a little easier last time b/c my carbs were 1000g/day though, lol.

Sorry for thread hijack :)

MihalikPJ
04-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Good day keep it up and hit those squats hard tomorrow. Sounds like you have a handle on this UD2 now. I ordered the book hopefully it comes soon.

You guys are killing me, sounds like a real riot at UC.

500 Schaedle, freaking beast, jeez you should make a journal. I bet you got some looks when you dropped that hahaha!! I bet Glenn loved that.

Keep raising hell, I'm looking forward to getting back in the summer!!

TopCat
04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Good day keep it up and hit those squats hard tomorrow. Sounds like you have a handle on this UD2 now. I ordered the book hopefully it comes soon.

You guys are killing me, sounds like a real riot at UC.

500 Schaedle, freaking beast, jeez you should make a journal. I bet you got some looks when you dropped that hahaha!! I bet Glenn loved that.

Keep raising hell, I'm looking forward to getting back in the summer!!

Ya, I would love to see one also. I do understand though since you basically stay on the UD2 all the time it would be kind of redundant though.

Pat you'll be happy you got the UD2 book. Regardless of the diet it is a good read. Just be sure the first week you end up doing it that you don't have a lot to do and some extra time, some people take that first week kind of rough.

4/08/08

Little (or long) pre-note: Two interesting things regarding the outcome of this diet so far... first I feel like the stubborn areas are not progressing like I was hoping. This in part might be due to my poor food selections. So, I'm cleaning that up. Lightly breaded chicken is no more and I am now grilling my chicken. Also going to try and include a better variety of carbs. This also entails watching what I eat over the weekend.

The second part is important because I must admit that I feel like my arms are finally growing (or at least certainly leaned out). Basically what I am getting at is that I need to remember that even though the fat is still in the stomach to a degree, it is coming off other areas, and I am maintaining my muscle mass. Watching my weight thus farm, it would seem, like others might experience on the diet, that recomposition is taking place.

Training - UD2 Quasi Depletion - Day 2
Basically was an odd combination of usual Day 1 and Day 2, more lower body less upper. Total I cut back how much leg work though in order to prevent taxing my knee too much.

TopCat
04-09-2008, 09:33 PM
4/09/08

Basics
*Sleep: 5-6 hours
*Weight: 201 (No short/shoes/socks...) so I bet I was closer to 203

Training - UD2 Optional Cardio - Day 3
*Swimming: 12 Laps (24 lengths), didn't catch the time. Consisted of freestyle, breaststroke, and using the kick board (just probably 2 laps?)

My Life
Gah, what a busy day! Not to mention things are going to just be getting that much busier here in a couple days for a week or so. Results on TSH came back, was 0.57 (They said I want to be at 0.1) but my T4 was high which should help lower my TSH. Little confused, but don't have time to look into. Either way I am staying at 200 mcg of Synthroid.

Pictures
I figured for those that are actually keeping up on my journal and are curious how the diet is going here is a glimpse. The leg shot was hard to get the same angle. As you can see my non-stubborn areas are really coming a long and my stomach is getting hit also.

The '2's are from 3/3/08 following my first depletion. I did 1 week of UD2, took 2 off for finals week(s) and then 2 did full weeks and (so far) half of another between the '3's which are from today. For reference, on UD2 Day 1 of 3/3/08 I weighed in at 209. On UD2 Day 1 of 4/7/08 I was at 205... crazy eh?

MihalikPJ
04-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Nice man looking real good, keep it up.

Those quads are looking great, keep us updated on the progress.

Slim Schaedle
04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Dude, I seriously almost didn't recognize you when you walked in today.

You are making a ton of progress, and it took me a minute b/c you are looking more mature and muscular.

I was kind of sucking ass by the end there, so hopefully everything I said was coherrent.

bjohnso
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
You look good mang. There is a distinct difference between the last 2 pics.

TopCat
04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
4/20/08

Basics

*Last week was a break due to a large load of school work, aka the week from hell.

Training - Whatever, whatever! I do what I want!
*DB Bench: 8x40's, 4x65's, 4x80's, 5x95's, 4x95's (the last rep of each was not great depth)
*Push downs: 2 set of 10 reps
*Curls: 8x70, 6x110, 6x120, 2x130
*Pull-ups: BWx5, BWx5
*Farmer's Walk: 90's, less distance than normal
*5+ minutes of stretching (Can touch my toes finally!)

Basically this was my do whatever I want to build-up before I start back up on the UD2 for another 3 weeks (I'm hoping!). That should put me really close to where I want to be.

My Life
Ya... as stated this past week was hell. Wow, I have never been so busy. Unfortunately this is not a very hard quarter. It is however, the busiest quarter of my academic time.

Either way I've got some studying/eating/cleaning to do, this was just long overdue.

bjohnso
04-20-2008, 08:36 PM
What is with this update-your-journal-once-a-month ****? Haha, jk man! Workout looks good, your doing the best you can under the circumstances - and it ain't bad at all!

Coke
04-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Looking big in those shots.

MihalikPJ
04-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Glad to see your still alive!

Are you taking classes in the summer as well?

TopCat
04-23-2008, 09:29 PM
What is with this update-your-journal-once-a-month ****? Haha, jk man! Workout looks good, your doing the best you can under the circumstances - and it ain't bad at all!

LOL thanks... ass.

Also no summer classes, thank God, but I'll be working instead.

4/23/08

Basics
*Weight: 201
*Diet: Little high in fat so far, but I personally like keeping it a little higher than lyle suggests. So far I've had a ribeye steak from sams, cut out all fat I could and a 2 scoops of whey protein with 2 cups 2% milk. About to have 2 more scoops of whey with water, maybe some chicken, prob half a piece of toast, cottage cheese, and a very low carb yogurt/tad of PB.

Training - UD2 Depletion - Day 1.5
So, yesterday I only did half of what I should have (Upper body) because I met up with a friend at the Rec and decided to stretch/chill with her and then took her home. So today was hell

*Hammer Squats: 11 sets, 12-13ish reps... never again... NEVER AGAIN. (180 lb, 160 lb, 150 lb)
*Calve Raises: 7 sets, 14 reps (115 lb, 90 lb)
*Leg Curls: 8 sets, 14 reps (110 lb)
*DB Bench: 3 sets, 12-14 reps (65's)
*BB Rows: 3 sets, 15 reps (95 lb, 115 lb, 125 lb)
*Pull Downs: 3 sets, 14 reps (130 lb)
*Lat Raises: 2 sets, 14 reps (15's)
*CG Bench: 3 sets, 15 reps (95 lb, 105 lb)... didn't want to risk failure due to fatigue
*Standing Preacher Curls: 2 sets, 13 reps (65 lb)

There was little chance of doing the complete amount of leg exercises I was suppose to. Those squats blasted me! I mean, I was dripping sweat. Seriously. My shoes are even soaked. Either way, I'm glad I did almost all the squats and cut out some leg curls/calve raises and not the other way.

My Life
Today has been long, thats about all I have to say. Got to practice/receive IM and SC injections today in lab. Also I already feel much better/committed to the diet after the session tonight.

On another note, I have been feeling the best lately I have in a LONG time. Feeling much more like I did couple years ago. My confidence has returned and I feel like I have taken back my mind... which feels amazing. The past fall was a a very eye opening and life changing experience. It really made me stop, think, and question things in my life. **** had happened in my life that I could not control. However, that didn't mean I had to sit around and take it. Now, obviously the thyroid replacement has helped my mental status, but I feel there has been a lot more to it than that. Too a degree, I am glad the events that took place did.

MihalikPJ
04-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Holy squats son! Yea no wonder you were pooped 11 sets; yet you still managed to do 7 sets of calf raises and 8 sets of leg curls, man you got some drive thats for sure. I'd be hanging over the toilet.

Glad to hear you are feeling better thats a good sign, keep hitting it hard, and macking on the ladies too haha.

TopCat
04-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Holy squats son! Yea no wonder you were pooped 11 sets; yet you still managed to do 7 sets of calf raises and 8 sets of leg curls, man you got some drive thats for sure. I'd be hanging over the toilet.

Glad to hear you are feeling better thats a good sign, keep hitting it hard, and macking on the ladies too haha.

Ya, honestly it was tough and I am feeling it now. Also I was too tired to puke, would of just fell over if it came to that lol.

I get to go out with the ladies tomorrow night! Thank goodness carb-load starts tomorrow :thumbup: Although, I am gonna try and lay off the alcohol as much as I can. If worse comes to worse I have a sub par session Sunday.

TopCat
04-25-2008, 04:42 PM
4/25/08

Basics
*Weight: 200 (after training... 5lbs lower than 2 weeks ago)

Weight difference is probably because I've been cutting harder and had very little to eat earlier in the day. Probably also slightly dehydrated.

*Hammer Squats: 3x10 (270 lb)
*Leg Curls: 3x12 (150 lb)
*Calf Raise: 3x12 (115 lb)
*Military Press: 2x10 (65's)
*Pull-ups: 2x9 (BW)
*DB Bench: 2x9 (80's)
*Rows: 2x10 (155 lb, too much next set at 145)
*Curl Machine: 2x9 (100 lb, 110 lb) I find being about to rotate my hands really helps my forearm pain.
*Close-grip Bench: 2x12 (135 lb, 145 lb) I worry about going hard on this at the end, so didnt push it too much
*Farmers Walk: 75's
*Decline Situps: 2x10 (Hands by ears)

Coke
04-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Nice job overall TopCat.

TopCat
05-04-2008, 02:51 PM
5/04/08

Basics
*Weight: 202
*Diet: Going strong. Cut my calories back more on the cut days and bulkish.

Training - UD2 Day 6 - Power Day
*Bench: Warm-ups, then 3x225, 3x245, 1x255
*Pull-ups: 4xBW, 3xBW+25, 3xBW+45
*Rack-Pulls: Quick Warm-up, then 3x315, 5x405, 3x455, 3x495
*Hammer Strength Military Press: 4x180, 4x230, 1x240
*Hammer Strength Squats: 4x270, 4x360, 4x360
*Leg Extension: 3x270
*Curl Machine: 6x110
*DB Curl: 6x40's
*Close Grip Bench: 5x135, 6x165

Was short on time so unfortunately legs got the slight cut. Now to go study away the next 36 hours of my life. Have a big infectious disease test on Tuesday...

But today was amazing! Weight is down a tad bit more than I expected, but I was still moving good weight.

P.S. Thanks for busting my ass Johnson

bjohnso
05-04-2008, 04:40 PM
NP mang. That guy in the blue shirt is still making me chuckle. Badass rack pulls man.

TopCat
06-19-2008, 04:29 PM
6/19/08

BACK AT IT!

Basics:
*Sleep: 8 hours, didn't sleep well though
*Diet: Didn't eat enough for the first half of the day, carb-load starts now
*Weight: 191 (Yikes!), 190 yesterday and 194 on Monday (6/16/08)

Training - UD2 Tension - Day 4
Went well. Not going to list the specifics. I'd like to note though that my bench felt a little weak and my rows particularly strong. Squats are so-so, aka weak.

I'm nearing my body fat goals and finally am striping fat off my very stubborn areas like my lower belly and ass. It feels great and at first I didn't want to dip below 190 but honestly, not having an ass you can sit a glass on for the first time in my life will be amazing, stubborn fat... buh bye! After another 2 weeks or so I'll try using the UD2 to slowly gain.

My Life
School got very hectic, and by very I mean IT WAS HELL. In a three period I got in twice, maybe three times to the gym. I tried to watch my food intake. Short story is a lost some mass, fat stayed about the same, maybe lost a little. Veins are finally visible in the lower abdomen. Now that school is over I plan on trying to be back on top of this journal.

Other new, synthroid was bumped up again and finally at 225 which looks like is where it will stay.

bjohnso
06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
I thought you died?