PDA

View Full Version : The big push

stigga
10-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Hello all,

Well I have finally decided to take the dive and start a Journal! The reason is that I need you guys and gals (Sorry) to kick my ass when I start to lose the motivitation.

I am a 30 year old business man that travels a lot and I have used this as my reason for not getting the results I want. Well truth be told its crap! I have trained all my life, but have never reached my goal of weighing 220 Lbs, with a body fat percentage of 15%.

That’s my goal…long term I know but still its my goal…and I aint going to stop till I reach it.

I am currently a skinny bloke, 6ft 4, 180 Lbs Fat per 20%, mainly done running all my life, but I want to bulk up and that means stopping….or reducing the running that’s what I’ll do. Pics will follow.

It would seem that the 2 main things I need to do, I aint! Duh. Eat big and lift heavy. My current training program is below that I have followed for about 5 years. I have gotten stronger but not seen the weight. I have also added my diet.

After reading other journals I am going to drop the high reps, can you guys give me an idea of what would be an pretty good level of reps to use 4 -6 or 8!?
If anyone has any ideas about the diet please let me know. Please please please rip my program and diet apart, As I need to get this right.

Cheers!

Session 1

Legs Squats 5 sets Reps 12/10/8/6/12 Max weight 140lbs
Externsions 5 Sets Reps as above Max weight 150lbs
Calves 5 sets 5 sets Reps same Max weight 88lbs

Situps 4 sets change it around

Session 2

Chest flat bench 5 sets Reps same Max weight 150lbs
Incline Dumbells 5 sets Reps same Max weight 60lbs dumbells

Back rows Cable 5 sets Reps same Max weight.

Session 3

Combine the session 2 with

Bic’s 5 set reps the same max weight 33lbs Dumbells
Trics 5 set reps same max weight 77lbs Z-bar.

Diet

6 meals a day, Porridge 8am , sandswichs+fruit 10am, lunch (Chicken/turkery+veg) 12, sandwichs+fruit 3pm, train at 7pm after creatine+protein, dinner again Turkery and chicken.

stigga
10-30-2007, 03:14 AM
Hi all,

I am sitting here today, with my legs in pain……and it feels great!!! Did my session 1 as above with a few twists. Ok a complete overhaul!  Mondays is always crazy at the gym so no chance to squats! Did the Hack machine instead…I know its not the same but I was fired up and determined to push. Did 5 sets max out at 507 Lbs for 6 reps. (I live in the uk so I work in Kg’s….reason for the amounts)
I couldn’t walk after, people thought I was being rape I was making so much noise

Then moved onto the deadlifts, you guys seem to swear by these things…so ok I didn’t have a great PR but 88.2Lbs for 6 reps. I know there is more to come but don’t wanna screw my back on the first attempt!

To finish I blasted the calves, at this point it felt good to have push and gives you have bit extra….Seated calve machine I max out at 110Lbs. Again I know it aint massive, but for my stick’s….sorry legs it is

Got home and had some protein to help build the muscles…..Its the best session I have had for a while, I can see once I get the deadlift techinque and up the calves this is going to be a great workout!….tonight chest and back!!!

Hack squat

10*200kgs
8*210kgs
7*220Kgs
6*220kgs
6*230kgs/507.2Lbs (PR!!!)

Deadlifts

10* 20Kgs
8*35Kgs
6*40Kgs/88.2lbs (PR if you can call it that…)

I could **** bullets my ass feels that tight

Calves

8*30Kgs
6*35Kgs
6*40Kgs
6*45Kgs
6*50Kgs/110Lbs

stigga
10-31-2007, 03:49 AM
Managed to get in the gym again last night and tried to rip my chest and back in 2.

Getting a chest bench at my gym is like winning the lottery, so I was on the seated press instead. Kinda shocked myself, since reducing these reps, it seems I can add a lot more weight than I first thought. I am walking out of the gym saying, next time its got to be more!
The seated max’d out at 7 reps 100Kgs (220Lbs), again I know its not that big and I kinda think the seated is cheating cos there no balancing involved! But hey its still a new PR for me. Need to watch the techinque, the shoulders were coming up on the last 3 reps on the max weight!

10*60kg
8*90kg
7*95kg
7*100Kg PR

Feeling pretty good I hit the incline dumbell’s started the 20Kg’s and followed this with 4 sets at 28 kgs. I was in two minds if to up the weight for the last but thought the techingue was already looking poor!

8*20kgs
6*28kgs
6*28kgs
5*28kgs
4*28kgs

Techinque was ****!

PR 30Kgs

To finish the chest off did some pull overs, again shocked at the weight I could do max out with a 35kg dumbell.

10*28Kg
8*30kg
6*35kg PR

Back was pull up machine, my target is to be able to do 10 body weight pull ups. I had 20kgs assiting me on the machine and got 4 reps out.

10*40kgs (to much help)
8*30Kgs (again to much help)
6*20 (Ok that the level)
4*20 (Jesus if only I had a pic of my face pulling!!!)

Stretch off and limp home, the bird wasn’t happy as she was honry as I don’t know what….the muscle was ready for it the rest of me just wanted to sleep!!!!

Food wise I am trying to up the intake. Today I got Porridige, Turkey Sandwich, Fruitx3 Turkery+rice+veg, Protein shake+Creatine, Tuna, Cottage cheese and dinner.

Not sure how many cal’s it is, but its about the max I can eat in a day. Just trying to not increase the fat intake to much.

stigga
10-31-2007, 07:22 AM
...couple of lads in the gym were talking about food and getting protein in the system. One suggested spud, bean and Tuna......Doesn't sound the best any one here gave it a go!?!?!?!?

stigga
11-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Took it easy yesterday and did some running. I limited myself to 20 mins and went flatout, and then got home and did some weighted situps.

5 sets with a 5 kg dumbell in my feet and one in the hands, takes abit of getting the co-ordination right, feels like your pissed at first, but hurts like hell.

Food wise kept with it and felt stuffed all day, guess that’s normal when you increase your intake so much!?

stigga
11-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Hey people wheres the support!?

drew
11-01-2007, 07:20 AM
You need to eat more. What you listed just isn't enough. If your goal is to get to 220, you really need to be getting about 4000 cals a day and probably more than that. Track your calories on www.fitday.com for a while and you'll see that you really aren't eating enough.

I would drop the high rep stuff. Focus on lifting more weight every time out. Find a new program.

I wouldn't worry too much about the running. If you're doing 20 minutes of running a day, it won't kill you. It's probably better. You'll have to eat more though.

Good luck.

stigga
11-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks Drew,

I give this Fitday a go and see where I lie....
About the program has anyone got any tips, should I change the reps or the complete program full stop!?

If so are there any programs whole giving a go!? Are there are skinny blokes that have found a program that has really worked!?

drew
11-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Read this: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

stigga
11-01-2007, 10:36 AM
thanks just had a flick through the training program for skinny blokes, I'll give it ago..

stigga
11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
OK, I now know why I am not gaining. Did the Fitday and found I am only eating about 2700 cal's per day! I had over estimated for most meals. Trick now is how the hell do I up it to 4000. I can add another shake for sure but other than that I am stuck!? Its not like I can pull out the pan and whip up some chicken when flying!?
Is it ok to have 3-4 shakes a day!? Are there any side affects...

Same with the training, I did shoulders, bics and trics last night and drop the reps again to max of 5.....I live in Germany and was shocked to be told to lift lighter weights....can imagine the look I got after I tried upping the weight again.

I upped the weight on everything last night, thought I would be aching like hell this morning, but can't feel a thing!? what does that mean...I love feeling the pain the next day!

Still feels like I am heading in the right direction.

Thanks Drew will give the program for skinny blokes ago.

drew
11-02-2007, 10:37 AM
3-4 shakes a day is fine. Try adding calorie dense foods like peanutbutter, whole milk, and heavy cream to your shakes.

You won't always feel pain or soreness from lifting. Just lift heavy and eat a lot and everything should take care of itself.

Who in Germany told you to lift lighter weights? Doesn't that go against everything German?

stigga
11-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Sounds pretty fatty to me, I am current having my shakes with low fat milk+creatine+protein.
I thought you would feel the pain...

Its the in thing to go to the gym at the min in Germany and there a lot of young gym instructors. Trust me half the people dont even break into a sweat. Were as I have a river running through my ass:) After about 10 mins

drew
11-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Don't worry about the fat content so much. As long as you are training heavy and hard, you shouldn't gain much fat.

stigga
11-05-2007, 01:11 AM
This weekend I got my 4000 cal’s, it’s a hell of a lot easier when you cook, used the fitday and it registered 4100 for sat and 4400 for Sunday. Still had 2 shakes, but had Porrgide, tuna with Pasta for lunch, eggs/ham/pot for mid-afternoon and steak for dinner! I had the shakes after the workout and before I went to bed.
Also tried some big changes to my workout, reduced the amount of sets and reps. Saturday did the legs, got a shock not that I have got off the hack squat. Man I saw doing 200kg’s plus on that thing. Did some real squats and was back to 50kg’s! I want to make sure I am going all the way down.

Squats
30kg*6
50kg*5
50kg*4

Deadlfits, this is my second time on these and I am kenn to up the weight. Started at 40Kg’s and got 6, could have down 8. But I said stop this and add an extra set and up the weight. Max out at 60kg’s for 3. I couldn’t really walk at first after

Dealifts

40kgs*6
50kgs*5
60kgs*3

To finish I just got did 3 sets of on the calves.

I must admit I got home had my shake and feel asleep both days, was knacked!