PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Progress

Shox21
10-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm 15, weigh somewhere between 129-132 pounds, and I'm about 5'8" so I'm a pretty skinny kid. I just got a membership to a gym which I will start going to first thing tomorrow after school, and I plan to eat like ****ing crazy and double my calorie and protein intake.

So if I stay committed, I will post up a new pic every time I notice a change in size. Hopefully my progress is good and I will keep posting new transformation pics as time passes.

here is a pic of me now:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9581/photo9vb7.jpg

Ya, I know I'm real skinny right now, but I'm gonna be working my ass off at the gym starting tomorrow and I'm gonna be eating the most I've ever ate in my life. I'm motivated right now, so hopefully I stick with it and start to get bigger little by little.

Cards
10-29-2007, 04:31 PM
eat sleep rest, what routine are you going to use...

Questor
10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Bench, squat, and deadlift. Eat big. Sleep well. Repeat for a year. Post the results.

Man, I sound like a broken record today.

BTW freaky pic.

Shox21
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
eat sleep rest, what routine are you going to use...

Not positive yet, but I'm thinking something similar to this:

Mon - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Tue - Legs
Wed - Back, Biceps
Thurs - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Fri - Legs
Sat - Back, Biceps
Sun - ...

Any tips on a better routine for me? I'm gonna make my workouts as intense as I can.

Shox21
10-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Bench, squat, and deadlift. Eat big. Sleep well. Repeat for a year. Post the results.

Man, I sound like a broken record today.

BTW freaky pic.

I'll do that. And its freaky cause I'm so damn skinny right lol?

j_man_honda
10-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Not positive yet, but I'm thinking something similar to this:

Mon - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Tue - Legs
Wed - Back, Biceps
Thurs - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Fri - Legs
Sat - Back, Biceps
Sun - ...

Any tips on a better routine for me? I'm gonna make my workouts as intense as I can.

You don't need to work out 6 times a week. I would concentrate on doing squats, deads, and benching twice a week and just one day for bi's and tri's. Maybe do a MWF routine. Your bi's and tri's will also be worked with the deads and benches....

Shox21
10-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I'll make sure to focus on the deadlifts and bench. And for working out 6 times a week, I know I don't have to, but I kind of want to. Some days might be more strenuous/longer than others, but I wanna get serious about this and get in as much as I can. Unless there is something bad about working out 6 times a week? Then let me know cause I'm not that experianced at all. I understand my muscles need rest every other day which is why I'll just work on a different part of my body every day.

nhlfan
10-30-2007, 12:33 AM
if you're training right, you won't want to train 6 times a week. you'll make better gains if you're fresh when you workout.

check out the wannabebig 1.1 routine

Questor
10-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Sorry, I said your pic was freaky because you had purple skin. I see now that my computer was just bugging out.

Jorge Sanchez
10-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Look into Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. You'll make much better progress using that routine and you'll only have to be in the gym three times a week.

galileo
10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
You're very young, so I'll give you this piece of advice.

Do not overdo it. If your shoulder or back begins to hurt and it isn't DOMS, go get it checked out. It's not manly to power through such things. Respect your body and it will respect you. Progress slow and steady and eat well, but don't try to put on 5lbs a week. In this game, slow and steady does win the race.

Con
10-30-2007, 10:57 AM
You're very young, so I'll give you this piece of advice.

Do not overdo it. If your shoulder or back begins to hurt and it isn't DOMS, go get it checked out. It's not manly to power through such things. Respect your body and it will respect you. Progress slow and steady and eat well, but don't try to put on 5lbs a week. In this game, slow and steady does win the race.

Dont let any of the powerlifters catch you giving this advice. It is all about baconators and eating until you are sick.

BFGUITAR
10-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Eat man!
You think your eating a lot, but try counting calories and youll see your really not!

Dont count calories on your whole bulk, its a waste of time IMO. It is useful at the start to know how much your eating and how many calories things have. After that just estimate and eat!

And pour olive oil on everything, easy calories!

Gunshow
10-30-2007, 11:06 AM
mmm baconators:drooling: ... those will put some size on you.

Shox21
10-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Eat man!
You think your eating a lot, but try counting calories and youll see your really not!

Dont count calories on your whole bulk, its a waste of time IMO. It is useful at the start to know how much your eating and how many calories things have. After that just estimate and eat!

And pour olive oil on everything, easy calories!

Yeah, I made a free account on Fitday yesterday, and so far I can see that I should be getting a lot more calories. Today I made sure that I ate +2000 calories than I normally eat, I recorded every food I ate except for my lunch at school. In a month or two I'll put up some more pics and we can see how I developed after lifting at this new gym and packing on those calories and grams of protein.

Jorge Sanchez
10-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Don't use fitday to track the number of calories you burn. Don't eat 2000 calories above maintenance every day. Start with 500 above for a month or two and see how your body reacts. There's no need to get excessively fat, and that's all that will happen if you eat 2000 calories above maintenance.

Shox21
10-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Don't use fitday to track the number of calories you burn. Don't eat 2000 calories above maintenance every day. Start with 500 above for a month or two and see how your body reacts. There's no need to get excessively fat, and that's all that will happen if you eat 2000 calories above maintenance.

But if I eat as much as I can all the time, not all of it will turn to fat. That's why I'll be going to the gym and working out as hard as I can every week.

Jorge Sanchez
10-30-2007, 06:21 PM
There is a diminishing return on excess calories. Just because a few extra calories are good, that doesn't mean that even more are better.

Not all excess calories will be stored as fat, but the more excess calories you consume, the more calories will be stored as fat, both absolutely and relatively. Your body does not want to gain muscle and it loves to gain fat. After a certain point (and that point isn't very high) your body will store extra calories disproportionately as fat, as opposed to muscle.

For example, the number of calories stored as muscle at 500kcals over and 2000kcals over are not going to be significantly different. The number of calories stored as fat, on the other hand, are going to be much higher at 2000kcals over than at 500kcals over maintenance. In other words, your going to gain a lot more fat, and not much more muscle at 2000kcals than you would at 500kcals over maintenance.

Shox21
10-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Okay, so do you suggest I add on 500-1000 for about a month and see where I'm at with that?

Killa Kurt
10-30-2007, 07:06 PM
My advice....don't be scared to throw on fat, it's what you do when you do a legitament "Bulk". If you're such a hard gainer and your metabolism is as fast as you claim, you won't have a hard time losing it when you want to, right?

Shox21
10-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, which is why I figured to eat +2000 or as much as I possibly could everyday with four or five meals. That way I finally see some gains, and if there is any extra fat then that won't be something I'd worry about cause I've been skinny for most of my life. Like you said Kurt I'll probably burn most of it off anyway. I wanna bulk for now, not just get muscle definition, so I don't care too much about the fat I'll be getting. Stronger and bigger is where I'm shooting for.

Jorge Sanchez
10-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Do it however you want, but eating 2000 calories over maintenance isn't going to do you any good. However you decide to do it, just monitor your progress and readjust your goals accordingly.

Killa Kurt
10-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Do it however you want, but eating 2000 calories over maintenance isn't going to do you any good.

Debatable, but whatever you say.

galileo
10-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Dont let any of the powerlifters catch you giving this advice. It is all about baconators and eating until you are sick.

At least they'll leave a strong corpse. :)

Shox21
12-06-2007, 03:22 PM
This is a pic of me now:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7360/photo15oc4.jpg

I know, just a small difference from before, but I'm six pounds heavier than when I started, and I'm at around 136-138 now. Haven't been going to the gym everyday like I wanted to, and I haven't been eating as much as I could, but starting next week I wanna get on track again. I'm finally gonna get my first jug of protein on monday and I'm gonna start getting serious with my workouts. Plus I'll start packing on some more calories so I can continue to bulk up.

So once I get back on track with lifting/eating/drinking protein I should be seeing some more differences. I'll update every two months or so and post a new pic. please post some comments or tips

McVein
12-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Shoulders, biceps, chest, all grown.. well done man keep it up.

Con
12-06-2007, 03:56 PM
In the first pic you look kind of soft. Second pic shows some quality progress. Keep at it.

berfles
12-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Nice change man, looks like you have some potential. Keep it up.

Threw this together to get a better idea:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/comp-2.gif

dussst
12-06-2007, 06:39 PM
berfles man thats cool it really helps show the diff. in the pics.
how did you do that??

im in the same posistion as you shock, jus look at my sig.

im jus a bit skinnier than you, but im working on it. its hard to stay consistent isnt it?? good job gaining 6 pounds, my weight fluncuates so much. only means i need to eat more!

you should make a journal

berfles
12-06-2007, 08:05 PM
I just put them in a GIF animator and set the interval to 1 second so it flips back and forth.

Jorge Sanchez
12-06-2007, 08:09 PM
You've made some good progress, but the pictures are a little misleading. You're standing closer to the camera in the second picture. For instance, look how much bigger your fists are in the second picture.

That said, you definitely look like you've put on some quality muscle. Keep it up! :thumbup:

berfles
12-06-2007, 08:23 PM
You've made some good progress, but the pictures are a little misleading. You're standing closer to the camera in the second picture. For instance, look how much bigger your fists are in the second picture.

That said, you definitely look like you've put on some quality muscle. Keep it up! :thumbup:

It just looks like his arms are in slightly different positions. It's like he flexed harder or different in the second one.

mickyjune26
12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
to me it looks like your BF % went down if anything. Are you SURE you're still eating 2000 more cals than maintenance?

Good work. The more you track your routine and diet. The better your results will be.

mickyjune26
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I just put them in a GIF animator and set the interval to 1 second so it flips back and forth.

Dude, i'm going to do that for my next set of pics. good idea man.

Shox21
12-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the comments, and thanks for putting those pics together berfles.

Yeah, it was hard to remember the exact position I was in and how I was flexing so I just tried to make it close to what it was before.

im in the same posistion as you shock, jus look at my sig.

im jus a bit skinnier than you, but im working on it. its hard to stay consistent isnt it?? good job gaining 6 pounds, my weight fluncuates so much. only means i need to eat more!

you should make a journal

Yeah its hard for me to stay consistent if im not motivated.

to me it looks like your BF % went down if anything. Are you SURE you're still eating 2000 more cals than maintenance?

Good work. The more you track your routine and diet. The better your results will be.

Well I was eating that much for about the first week then little by little I was getting unmotivated and wasn't eating anything near as much as I could be. But I'm gonna get myself back on track and eat and eat and eat.

BFGUITAR
12-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Gj bro. I think your progress could have been better at your state but you did progress and thats something to be proud of.

Shox21
12-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah I could of been eating a hell of a lot more but thats what I'm gonna be doing this month around. Hopefully there will be a better difference this time, ill post the pic.

Vicioustorms
12-07-2007, 01:50 PM
you weigh about the same as me and exact same height...lol weird...good progress. i also sometimes don't feel motivated but then i remember i'm doing it for myself and i wanna be the best i can be.

the best advice i can give you even the we're on the same track: these things help:

1. drink loads of water so it gives you the energy to excercise and eat more
2. don't eat too late in the morning as breakfast is one of the most important meals plus you'll want to start early so you can eat alot during the day
3. eat alot of fruit
4. 3-4 times of excericse is more than enough in a week
5. sleep at least 7-8 hours

good luck...you gave me more motivation :strong: :D

Vicioustorms
12-12-2007, 12:13 AM
where are you??!

kajeaun
12-15-2007, 11:10 AM
You have made good progress and I feel your pain. I was once skinny as you. When I got out of High School, I probably weighed 130-135. I always ate as much as I could, and could never gain any positive weight. I learned the hard way, building muscle as a hard gainer is a delicate balance of hard work, and good nutrition. If you are a hard gainer, you need more rest than average. On my first bulking cycle, I constantly ate. If I got hungry, I looked at it as a chance I missed to gain weight. Doing this shocked my metabolism and caused it to slow down. I was able to do this for about two weeks and then my metabolism kicked into gear. I believe I gained 10-15 lbs. Yes there was so fat involved but I was able to melt that away quickly. I did this for a couple of times and gained some positive weight. After I got to 180 I noticed my metabolism started to slow down a bit and was able to gain weight easier. By this time, I had an insatiable appetite and had to make sure I was eating the good stuff. You seem to be headed in the right direction. What I did may not work for you, but just know there is hope. Stayed motivated and focused. Work hard, but remember you do the most growing while you rest.