PDA

View Full Version : simultaneous bulking & cutting - solved

nzk
03-10-2002, 11:30 AM
atleast in theory...tell me what u guys think:

say u are bulking and consuming x amount of calories from protein and carbs, u see muscle gains but also see fat gains...which means u are eating more calories than u need. so if u add cardio to burn those extra "fat" calories then u can still bulk without getting too fat. cardio as far as i understand, done aerobically, burns no protein and light-mod carbs, but mostly fat, this should not affect muscle mass gains. u are eating more than enough calories, proven by the fact that ur body is storing fat.
so...say u consume the required 1gram protein/lb. body weight, lift 3 times/wk, cardio 2 times/wk, eat the same amount of calories as if ur on a bulking diet, then muscle gains should not be affected, while simultaneosly losing fat. right?

Leviathan
03-10-2002, 12:13 PM
You can still eat 3500+ calories/day with less than 40 grams of fat. Focus on eating grilled chicken breast, tuna, egg whites, etc. That will keep you lean as you bulk.

Personally, I do VERY little cardio when I bulk because I have a high metabolism. Looking at a cardio machine makes me lose 5lbs. :)

If you are a mesomorph or an endomorph, I'd definitely add some cardio in at least twice a week. Even if you are an ectomorph I'd keep at least one day of cardio simply for cardiovascular health.

body
03-10-2002, 12:40 PM
It does not happen like that.

aerobic exercise will use amino acids as fuel.

Par Deus
03-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by body
It does not happen like that.

aerobic exercise will use amino acids as fuel.

It is more than just that. Aerobics will also prevent increases in leptin expression in a dose dependent manner (probably by shifting substrates away from the hexosamine pathway), which signals to your body that it is in the fed state, which causes increases in endogenous anabolic hormones. Aerobics also causes the muscle to adapt and become more metabolically efficient. "More metabolically efficient" = smaller.

plornive
03-10-2002, 11:38 PM
If you want a clean bulk, do a small amount of low intensity cardio. Interval training may be ok, but I've never done it.

If you are breaking new ground in strength and want to become really strong, just get fat and do zero cardio. The fat will be difficult to strip, but you will be left with most of the strength and all of the muscle memory.

ElPietro
03-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Leviathan
You can still eat 3500+ calories/day with less than 40 grams of fat.

Why on earth would you want to do that? :confused:

Budiak
03-11-2002, 06:03 PM
Jeez, if you want to set a record for the blandest bulk in history. Give me my pb and cottage cheese.