PDA

View Full Version : Metal Bench Shirts

deeder
10-31-2007, 09:43 PM
I put my shirt on today and tried something new. Instead of having the arm seam right on my elbow I had it so that it was just inside my elbow (to the thumb side of the arm if that helps). It made it alot easier to touch and I still felt like I was getting lots of support.

So, first question is, do you guys recommend that I do this? What would be the advantages/disadvantages of wearing the shirt like this?

Second, do you guys "torque" the sleeves? We do right before benching. Basically I put my arm straight out with my thumb pointing down and as I twist my arm so that my palm is then facing up someone twists my sleeve the opposite way. I'm told this is to give more tricep support around the midpoint and lockout.

Thanks in advance!

Guido
11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
I know a lot of guys who torque their sleeves, but I don't personally. There is a shirt that basically does it for you because of the way the shirt is designed called the Titan Katana. I have one and plan to start learning it after WABDL World's in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

RhodeHouse
11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
I have never done it before. My advice would be to just put it on and push.

deeder
11-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Any comments about the seam placement on my arm?

Ryano
11-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I've never had a Metal shirt but I do torque the sleeves on my Titan poly shirts. Basically it allows you to pull the collar down lower to give you more support(hince harder touch) and allows the sleeve to tighten up as you bring the bar down. There is a BIG difference in support of a poly shirt, depending on how you wear it. I've never had a denim shirt, so I don't know if that applies to them or not. Hope this helps.

deeder
11-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I've never had a Metal shirt but I do torque the sleeves on my Titan poly shirts. Basically it allows you to pull the collar down lower to give you more support(hince harder touch) and allows the sleeve to tighten up as you bring the bar down. There is a BIG difference in support of a poly shirt, depending on how you wear it. I've never had a denim shirt, so I don't know if that applies to them or not. Hope this helps.

Thanks Ryano. That makes sense about getting the collar lower and the sleeves tightening up. I'm just using single ply poly gear so this is the kind of info I need.

Where do you put the seams on your arms?

TommyBoy
11-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I have never done it before. My advice would be to just put it on and push.I agree. I never torque the sleeves. If anything, just crank down the front and belt it in. After each attempt it'll loosen some, so I crank 'er down again.

TommyBoy
11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
FYI deeder, I'm probably gonna go with a Metal Viking Presser for my next shirt.

Ryano
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Where do you put the seams on your arms?

Un-tweeked is with the seam inside or below the elbow. As you move the seam more to the outside and evidentually above the elbow it increases the support. If you plan to do multiple lifts, watch the seam. Unless it's REAL tight it will come un-tweeked with each set.