PDA

View Full Version : "Shut up and Train" article

Lones Green
11-04-2007, 05:52 PM
i thought this was a really good read, and thought i'd share it with those who don't read the elite fts articles religiously. it hit home with me, because i lift in a commercial gym, and i've been lifting weights for about 4 years, long enough to see supplement companies come and go, and to figure out what works and what dosent. i thought this might help out some of you asking "what works" or "how do i increase my big 3" etc etc. the answer is simple!

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/shut_up_and_train.htm

WBBIRL
11-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Great read.

I get pissed when I hear someone bad mouth squats because leg extensions and presses are what "really build the legs".

Its because they can't squat a paper bag and are ashamed of themselves. People try an over complicate the easiest things in the gym, and ignore the proven foundations of lifting weights and building a build solid physique.

I'm one of 3 people who squat in my gym =/

Lones Green
11-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Great read.

I get pissed when I hear someone bad mouth squats because leg extensions and presses are what "really build the legs".

Its because they can't squat a paper bag and are ashamed of themselves. People try an over complicate the easiest things in the gym, and ignore the proven foundations of lifting weights and building a build solid physique.

same here. everyone at my gym is big at squatting on the smith machine. :bang:

WBBIRL
11-04-2007, 08:44 PM
And probably doing 1/4 squats to boot

Jorge Sanchez
11-04-2007, 10:30 PM
I like the concluding sentence: "when you get to the gym, itís important to shut your mouth and train!" Words to live by.

Ockhams_Razor
11-05-2007, 12:30 AM

thats pretty much the same thing at my gym too. there are about 4 of us who actually squat and deadlift, thats seriously it. the article is so right about everything, everyone has forgotten that the simple things are what work, and that you have to just train your ass off if you ever want results. ugh, i should stop now before i rant forever on this subject.

Mercere
11-09-2007, 07:45 PM
And probably doing 1/4 squats to boot

With belts and knee wraps of course.

FiveSpeedG
11-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Great article!

I go to a "family gym" of sorts, and all the trainers there sell the "safe" gym Koolaid. They've got people dumping tons of money into their "personalized training programs" to get strong or thin, accordingly, yet I don't see a damn one of them teaching a client a squat or deadlift.

I hired a trainer last week at the same gym to specifically coach form and range of motion on the Olympic lifts. Initially I got HUGE pushback--She wanted to design a program using "newer" and "safer" lifts for me, but I explained to her I'm interested in lifelong fitness, learning proven lifts that I can replicate and feel confident doing. She couldn't disagree, and it's been working great!

I think the average Joe/Jane gets led to believe fitness is an elusive mystery. The "safe" and "new" exercises using bands/balls/toys on one-leg are hard for the average non-gym-goer to replicate or remember what they're for. It keeps them pouring money into "personalized training programs" and ultimately sets them up for failure--If they don't quit from feeling ridiculous from doing half the exercises, when they DO decide they're ready to move up and lift heavier weights, they have NO clue as to the basics of good form.

Guido
11-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Great article!

I go to a "family gym" of sorts, and all the trainers there sell the "safe" gym Koolaid. They've got people dumping tons of money into their "personalized training programs" to get strong or thin, accordingly, yet I don't see a damn one of them teaching a client a squat or deadlift.

I hired a trainer last week at the same gym to specifically coach form and range of motion on the Olympic lifts. Initially I got HUGE pushback--She wanted to design a program using "newer" and "safer" lifts for me, but I explained to her I'm interested in lifelong fitness, learning proven lifts that I can replicate and feel confident doing. She couldn't disagree, and it's been working great!

I think the average Joe/Jane gets led to believe fitness is an elusive mystery. The "safe" and "new" exercises using bands/balls/toys on one-leg are hard for the average non-gym-goer to replicate or remember what they're for. It keeps them pouring money into "personalized training programs" and ultimately sets them up for failure--If they don't quit from feeling ridiculous from doing half the exercises, when they DO decide they're ready to move up and lift heavier weights, they have NO clue as to the basics of good form.I hope that trainer you hired actually KNOWS the Olympic lifts and how to train them, otherwise I'd steer clear.

FiveSpeedG
11-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I hope that trainer you hired actually KNOWS the Olympic lifts and how to train them, otherwise I'd steer clear.

I think she's pretty darn good...I've done Olympic lifts before and know basic form, so she's really there to provide feedback as I begin lifting again. Much of her feedback seems like it's straight out of Starting Strength--very very similar, so I'm pleased since the book is so highly regarded.

More likely I think I caught her off gaurd...To have a pretty normal guy show up that's in fair shape with no knee/back/whatever problems and just wants to focus on Olympic lifting form is rare, i would guess.

Brad263
11-13-2007, 02:17 PM
I am so glad I read this thread. I was going to post a thread asking what everyones opinion on trainers are. I moved to a closer gym by my house a bally's and they are trying to give me a free training session. I don't want it they keep calling and I am like I don't really want it there like but its free... I don't want a day of my week and routine screwed up by some smuch who just has above average build because he has good genetics. I want mcbane over there who is squating 600 lbs to show me some pointers on form. Can I hire him?? Its so funny at the gym its always packed but its packed with idiots so I get free rain of the good equipement. I walk right up to the cage and I do squats and deads without even worrying about anyone being near it and I see someone dong deads about once a week and most of the time they are doing it wrong anyway. I am so glad I stumbled upon this forum I would be like those idiots doing ISO exercises all the time and seeing slow results.

garjagan
11-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Okay, I think I can sympathise here. I have ONE other guy at my local gym who squats with free-weights. As you can see in the picture there's some kind of damn leg press in front of me, you can see the start of a smith machine to the left of that, and in the furthest corner over in the distance you can spot the white footplate thing of the OTHER leg-press. Where does all this leave barbell squatting, right in the path of everyone who wants to pass with some ****ty stands that I have to drag out every night! Annoying.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2324/2005937711_e88b042ac2_o.jpg

Brad263
11-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Wow now thats a tiny gym. I feel spoiled.

bigmoney
11-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Im glad I read this before I am about to train now.....

I love that pic man. Reminds me to just get **** done however you can and not complain in the process

Chickenlegs
11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Nice depth on the squat, Garjagan.