PDA

View Full Version : how to stay more upright for squat and deadlift?

tyler
11-04-2007, 10:00 PM
first of all. i hate training my abs and i do not do it enough, so i know that is one big factor in helping me stay more upright. is there any other ways? and i am goin to start training my abs/core harder but dont know what are the best exercises for this perpose. any help would be awesome!
thanks

tomv
11-05-2007, 04:17 AM
To stay more upright you probably want to train the muscles that help you stay erect. As well as your abdominals this also includes your spinal erectors and the like.

Bent over rows, Hyper extensions and T-Bar rows all should help. Also try bracing your abs. This is a weird example of how to go about doing this but...
Imagine you're about to walk into a freezing cold ocean. You know how you kind of try and "pull up" your ... johnson. Well doing that is activating and bracing your core.

On a side note it also depends on how you are deviating from being upright. If your trunk is flexing it could be strength issues, if it's flexion from the hips it could be flexibility (or strength too).

garjagan
11-05-2007, 04:28 AM
for the squat, front squats helped me get a better posture/form for my back squats, because you cannot lean forward with a front squat without destroying whatever's in front of you.

Also a powerlifter at my gym advised me to pinch my shoulder blades together and push my chest out proud as I go down for the back squat, that helps keep a good back position.

Also the flexibilty drills on sensei's youtube squat vid are very good. They helped me a lot.

drew
11-05-2007, 05:24 AM
More Good Mornings. With a SSB if you can.

Adam
11-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Also a powerlifter at my gym advised me to pinch my shoulder blades together and push my chest out proud as I go down for the back squat, that helps keep a good back position.

Good, easy advice here.
A lot of keeping upright in squats is just getting used to the position of an arch back. Make sure on EVERY set of squats you do you use the correct form then it just becomes second nature to do.

Guido
11-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Good, easy advice here.
A lot of keeping upright in squats is just getting used to the position of an arch back. Make sure on EVERY set of squats you do you use the correct form then it just becomes second nature to do.I definitely agree. The other factor could just be a weak lower back, or even tight hip flexors. If the hip flexors are tight, you will have a tendency to lean forward as you get closer to parallel on the squat. There are some stretches you can do to help alleviate the problem. It's definitely helped some of my lifters.

RhodeHouse
11-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Video. No idea what your form looks like. There should be some forward lean while squatting. Video

tyler
11-05-2007, 04:51 PM
thanks guys for the replies. i actually just finished smolov last friday. so im taking a bit of time off beofre maxing. i am taking a video of that and my deadlift on wednesday. so once i do that ill post it up. hope to get 365+ for squat

D-Banga
11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
for the squat, front squats helped me get a better posture/form for my back squats, because you cannot lean forward with a front squat without destroying whatever's in front of you.

This is good advice, self corrective lifts (like front squats) not only teach you good technique but force you to use it as you cannot perform the lift without it. Also making sure you have reasonable flexibility in your hip-flexors and a strong lower back will allow your back to remain straight while still achieving a deep squat.

RhodeHouse
11-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Front Squats and back squats are 2 completely different exercises. Just because you get good at front squats, doesn't mean your form on back squats will improve. You have to work on the lift you have trouble with.

deeder
11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Front Squats and back squats are 2 completely different exercises. Just because you get good at front squats, doesn't mean your form on back squats will improve. You have to work on the lift you have trouble with.

But it might help strengthen some of the weak muscles causing the problems :windup:

Right?

zztoproadster
11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I really love good mornings for lower back work. When you squat, if you don't already, fill your stomach with as much air as you can and push against your belt as hard as you can, like you're trying to push through it. Rhodes is right though, it could be like 48573408572304 different things without a vid.

TommyBoy
11-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I agree with GM's, also I like pullthroughs. Also, make sure you push the knees out when you squat.

Sensei
11-26-2007, 07:20 PM
But it might help strengthen some of the weak muscles causing the problems :windup:

Right?We don't know if there's a problem at all and that's Rhode's point. Now, I don't know exactly what the OP means by "upright"... If he's got a lower back rounding issue, then it definately needs to be corrected.
But, if you are a powerlifter with a low bar squat, sitting back as far as you can, you are going to have more forward lean and trying to squat too upright would be a problem.