PDA

View Full Version : Eating 18 egg whites a day?

Cherrywaves
11-04-2007, 11:02 PM
I was just wondering if it's safe to eat 18-20 egg whites a day. I know all about
my calorie intake and all of that stuff,but i was just wondering if there's any side effects?

Stackattack
11-04-2007, 11:22 PM
egg whites are just albumen(a protein) and water. Other than the expense of a carton and a half of eggs per day, there shouldn't be a problem.

Thexile
11-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Egg whites contain a glycoprotein called Avidin, which has an extremely high affinity (the highest known affinity between any protein and its ligand) for Vitamin B7 (Biotin) which will result in deficiency b/c when Avidin binds Biotin cant be absorbed in the GI tract.

It takes about 24 egg whites to produce symptoms , but I stronlgy think this is not a great idea. Especially when you can get protein from other sources.

Therefore I do not recommend you eat 20 egg whites a day.

MMEI
11-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Real men eat egg yolks!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Uh...Thexile...

Cooking the egg whites changes avidin, making it susceptible to digestion and unable to interfere with the intestinal absorption of biotin.http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92#safetyissues

To the OP...most of the "bad stuff" is in the egg yolks. You should be fine.

Cherrywaves
11-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Real men eat egg yolks!

Haha, well i do eat egg yolks, mostly 2..and the rest is just egg whites. I usually vary my fats with peanut butter, olive oil, and my favorite avocado..mmmmmm:D

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-05-2007, 12:38 AM
You're making me hungry. :mad:

Stumprrp
11-05-2007, 06:59 AM
switch your 18 whites to 4-6 whole eggs, much better benefits and it tastes much better.

-Superman-
11-05-2007, 08:11 AM
By egg whites does the OP mean drinking the eggs? I am not sure the difference.

Keith
11-05-2007, 08:21 AM
By egg whites does the OP mean drinking the eggs? I am not sure the difference.

Drinking? No. You do know you can cook egg whites right?

Cherrywaves
11-05-2007, 08:33 AM
btw guys, just to be more specific. It's boiled egg whites if that helps.

Bohizzle
11-05-2007, 08:48 AM
ur good to go.

sharkall2003
11-05-2007, 09:02 AM
switch your 18 whites to 4-6 whole eggs, much better benefits and it tastes much better.

I completely agree with stump. Eat 4-6 whole eggs with other whole foods and you'll stay lean and grow.

-Superman-
11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I am going to try this. Do I just stick the eggs in water and boil? I usually just break them in a pan and fry them. I usually average 3 eggs a day doing that. If this other way is better, than I will try that. Eggs are pretty cheap so it could be cool.

WORLD
11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
I am going to try this. Do I just stick the eggs in water and boil? I usually just break them in a pan and fry them. I usually average 3 eggs a day doing that. If this other way is better, than I will try that. Eggs are pretty cheap so it could be cool.

lol you really have never boiled eggs before?? Have you been living in a cave? :clown:
Get some water boiling, and slowly get the eggs in there. Boil for about 10 mins; when they're done, run them through some cold water and enjoy. I can eat 20 in one sitting, some people *cough, keith* struggle to eat a few.

enjoy!

-Superman-
11-05-2007, 10:14 AM
lol you really have never boiled eggs before?? Have you been living in a cave? :clown:
Get some water boiling, and slowly get the eggs in there. Boil for about 10 mins; when they're done, run them through some cold water and enjoy. I can eat 20 in one sitting, some people *cough, keith* struggle to eat a few.

enjoy!

This sounds too good to be true. I know you will be getting sick protein but what about the cholesterol? I thought people should not eat that many eggs but I do hear of bodybuilders and wrestlers like Hogan going through a dozen with no problems. I will try this tonight and hopefully I don't puke. The money savings will be crazy. A dozen eggs is like $2.50!

WORLD
11-05-2007, 10:16 AM
This sounds too good to be true. I know you will be getting sick protein but what about the cholesterol? I thought people should not eat that many eggs but I do hear of bodybuilders and wrestlers like Hogan going through a dozen with no problems. I will try this tonight and hopefully I don't puke. The money savings will be crazy. A dozen eggs is like $2.50!

haha sorry, I forgot to mention I don't eat the yolks. Not that I don't want to, it's just that I'll puke if I eat boiled egg yolks. They're just not my favourite.
Try putting some salt or pepper on the egg whites if you need more flavour. Some people put hot sauce and other stuff too.

Keith
11-05-2007, 10:20 AM

enjoy!

20 in one sitting eh? Settle down.

They're gross, that's why. I find them much easier to eat if I scramble them. Superman, cook them however the hell you want to. Whatever you find tastier.

-Superman-
11-05-2007, 10:27 AM
http://www.body-building-resource.com/nutrition-latest-article6.shtml

Found this article. I am going to try this technique tonight. I have never ate eggs like this before. I read that the protein is the highest quality available so this may turn into a new thing for me. I'll see how I digest it and then if I don't puke, I will be eating these every day all day. :D

Keith
11-05-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.body-building-resource.com/nutrition-latest-article6.shtml

Found this article. I am going to try this technique tonight. I have never ate eggs like this before. I read that the protein is the highest quality available so this may turn into a new thing for me. I'll see how I digest it and then if I don't puke, I will be eating these every day all day. :D

Lol, sure. Try them out in different ways and see which way you like them best. Try scrambled, boiled, poched.. Have about 4 whole eggs along with as many whites as you want.

WORLD
11-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Don't listen to keith, eat 20.
Cover them in olive oil, pepper and salt. And enjoy the egg farts for the rest of the evening.

Keith
11-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Don't listen to keith, eat 20.
Cover them in olive oil, pepper and salt. And enjoy the egg farts for the rest of the evening.

You're out of it today, eh?

I said eat 4 whole eggs along with AS MANY egg whites as he wants. Heck, go for 40 if you want.

P.S. We must have a scrambled competition, boiled isn't fair.

This was the outcome of the boiled egg competition. Great test to have with your training partner to out eat each other.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z68/and1forlife/2.jpg

sharkall2003
11-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Purchase an egg cooker. Takes like 15 minutes to cook, you don't have to worry about how long they're in there and you can cook 7-10 at a time. They cost like 20 bucks.

WORLD
11-05-2007, 12:57 PM
You're out of it today, eh?

I said eat 4 whole eggs along with AS MANY egg whites as he wants. Heck, go for 40 if you want.

P.S. We must have a scrambled competition, boiled isn't fair.

This was the outcome of the boiled egg competition. Great test to have with your training partner to out eat each other.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z68/and1forlife/2.jpg

Hahaha I'm making that my avatar.

smalls
11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I would rather just scramble em, seems much easier to eat than boiled. I'll do 6+ egg whites, a whole egg and some tuna, with salsa or on a tortilla it's awesome.

Keith
11-05-2007, 01:07 PM
I would rather just scramble em, seems much easier to eat than boiled. I'll do 6+ egg whites, a whole egg and some tuna, with salsa or on a tortilla it's awesome.

All mixed if it's not on a tortilla?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-05-2007, 01:11 PM
5-6 eggs, cheese, salsa verde sauce, salt, and pepper wrapped up in grande tortilla. Mmmmm.

sharkall2003
11-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Yes, it's very good. I used to do it for my snack at work.

smalls
11-05-2007, 01:14 PM

I'll usually cook 15+ egg whites, 3 eggs, and 3 cans of tuna then put it in the fridge and fit it in when and how I need it. It's best on a WW tortilla with some salsa though. Get the eggs almost all the way scrambled then add the tuna.

Thexile
11-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Uh...Thexile...

http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92#safetyissues

To the OP...most of the "bad stuff" is in the egg yolks. You should be fine.

Assuming he's eating 18-20 eggwhites and not the yolks b/c that is even worse.

1) Raw ->again back to the avidin...

2)Fried -> now are you going to argue that 18 servings of fried eggs a day is good?

He's not talking about 1 or 2 or even 6 for that matter but 18.

and if ur boiling them how will u eat 18 a day??? if you can do it then more power to ya, but that is just way too much of 1 thing for me. Id prefer drinking 6 eggs, 2 yolks

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Jay Cutler eats like 40 a day.

Id prefer drinking 6 eggs, 2 yolksIs that a typo?

1) Raw ->again back to the avidin...He's not having them raw...and you shouldn't be eating them raw. That's when the avidin binds to the biotin...and plus that whole Salmonella thing. Cooking them allows you to absorb the biotin. I'm not even sure where you're going with this or if you're even able to discern between the two.

2) Fried -> now are you going to argue that 18 servings of fried eggs a day is good?I never mentioned anything about fried eggs, but no...it really isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

arnoldsclone
11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Jay Cutler eats like 40 a day.

Is that a typo?

He's not having them raw...and you shouldn't be eating them raw. That's when the avidin binds to the biotin...and plus that whole Salmonella thing. Cooking them allows you to absorb the biotin. I'm not even sure where you're going with this or if you're even able to discern between the two.

I never mentioned anything about fried eggs, but no...it really isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

you could fry em in olive oil anyway gawd

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Olive oil cannot be cooked at as high a heat as vegetable oil though. I use olive oil all the time when I cook. Good stuff.