PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Green/White tea question

Wild Cat McCane
11-06-2007, 11:17 AM
I have read Built recommending the amount of tea is somewhere around 5-8 cups a day (if you aren't taking extract pills) can you put two or three bags of tea or extra amounts of loose leaf into one cup of water?

Does this equal a super cup of tea or is diffusion limited to the amount of liquid?

I know its a dumb question, but had to ask.

Thanks!

bjohnso
11-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Not a dumb question, although I do have one of my own: Why would anyone drink that ungodly amount of tea?

Wild Cat McCane
11-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Ecgc, egcg, antioxidants, source of caffeine...

tea extract is usually a key ingredient in most fat burners...

Hey why not? :)

bjohnso
11-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Ecgc, egcg, antioxidants, source of caffeine...

tea extract is usually a key ingredient in most fat burners...

Hey why not? :)

Do you really need to drink 5+ cups a day to get maximal antioxidant effects? Do you have to intake all that volume, or would putting 2 bags in a cup be enough? Do you get those benefits (minus the caffeine) from decafinated tea?

Unreal
11-06-2007, 01:02 PM
It is going to be diffusion limited, but at what point who knows. A cup maybe able to take 2-3 bags just fine. It would taste like crap though being super strong IMO.

Wild Cat McCane
11-06-2007, 01:11 PM
my understanding bjohnso is that decaffeinated gives you the same benefits if its still green or white tea.

I admit, i am drinking it more just for the egcg and the idea that it may be healthy. quite addicting, and cheaper then the starbucks kick i was on
$4 dollar starbucks:hump:

mikey4402
11-06-2007, 01:17 PM
i have tryed to drink more tea but i cant stand drinking more then 2 cups a day

I think 2 bags in one mug would work.

bjohnso
11-06-2007, 02:23 PM
my understanding bjohnso is that decaffeinated gives you the same benefits if its still green or white tea.

I admit, i am drinking it more just for the egcg and the idea that it may be healthy. quite addicting, and cheaper then the starbucks kick i was on
$4 dollar starbucks:hump:

I'm a diet noob. What is egcg?

And yes, many a fool have gone bankrupt getting coffee from starbucks.

Wild Cat McCane
11-07-2007, 04:37 PM
"Green tea contains, among others, the cancer-fighting flavonoid epigallocatechin gallate (ECGC). ECGC is unique in that it seems to battle cancer at all stages, from thwarting chemical carcinogens, to suppressing the spread of tumors. ECGC is as much as 100 times more powerful an antioxidant as vitamin C, and 25 times more powerful than vitamin E. ECGC also may account for the antibacterial properties of green tea."

looking up flavonoid epigallocatechin gallate comes up with EGCG. so that means ecgc is probably dumb people like me spreading a bad info.:scratch:

Torrok
11-07-2007, 05:57 PM
greent tea=amazing, drink it and life will be better

the chinese say so :study:

bjohnso
11-08-2007, 01:23 PM
"Green tea contains, among others, the cancer-fighting flavonoid epigallocatechin gallate (ECGC). ECGC is unique in that it seems to battle cancer at all stages, from thwarting chemical carcinogens, to suppressing the spread of tumors. ECGC is as much as 100 times more powerful an antioxidant as vitamin C, and 25 times more powerful than vitamin E. ECGC also may account for the antibacterial properties of green tea."

looking up flavonoid epigallocatechin gallate comes up with EGCG. so that means ecgc is probably dumb people like me spreading a bad info.:scratch:

Thanks for the info. I will definately be drinking more green tea from now on.

zen
11-08-2007, 01:41 PM
I started drinking green tea when I read about both it's weight loss properties (even studies done with decaffinated green tea) and anti-oxidant properties.... but I have since found that I enjoy most types of black tea much better than green. In fact, I am lucky to have more than a cup or two of green tea each week.
I have tried quite a few different brands and types of green teas and I have yet to find one with the body and flavor of a black tea.

bjohnso
11-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I started drinking green tea when I read about both it's weight loss properties (even studies done with decaffinated green tea) and anti-oxidant properties.... but I have since found that I enjoy most types of black tea much better than green. In fact, I am lucky to have more than a cup or two of green tea each week.
I have tried quite a few different brands and types of green teas and I have yet to find one with the body and flavor of a black tea.

I've never tried black tea. Are the benefits similar to those of green tea?

tigo
11-08-2007, 06:08 PM
i thought most bagged tea is heavily processed

if you want the good stuff go for the green tea powder, black tea leaves, and stuff like that.

edit: additional stuff

if you're having trouble with the green tea, try adding milk\creamer.

also you can just mix it in with about anything.

zen
11-09-2007, 06:39 AM
I've never tried black tea. Are the benefits similar to those of green tea?

black teas are aged more (oxidized er whatever the do).
I think I read that it is slightly lower in both antioxidants and caffeine.
I just like the black teas because they have more character. To me, green tea is too bland and grassy.
But not everyone is going to be like me. I like my coffee strong and black (no crap in it) and I like Guinness and heavy dark beers and seasonal wheat bocs.
You might enjoy green tea

Wild Cat McCane
11-13-2007, 10:51 PM
also, can we discuss fluoride issues in tea? how much is too much? Considering white and green tea separately....