PDA

View Full Version : 14-15 year old football players offseason nutrition

ecfootball28
11-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I coach freshman football and our season is just coming to a close. This is a pretty solid group and offseason training with our weightlifting coach doesn't begin until February, mainly because of personal reasons and him taking on too much this past year, great guy and deserves a break. I just graduated this past year and was always a weight room nut, so naturally I'd like to get the kids into the weightroom almost right away. I've just learned about nutrition the past couple months and finally have realized how huge it is.

Ideally, of course, I'd like for these kids to know everything I know but obviously it isn't going to happen. So with these kids, what do you think the best way to approach offseason training and nutrition? My idea was to have them bulking because at that age, they just need to eat and lift. So I was thinking just to make sure they get enough calories(3000, and 3700 for kids playing other sports) and input on those numbers would be appreciated. Then just making sure they get enough protein. Other than that not sweat it much at all. Does this seem to be the best route? What else should I think? Do the calorie numbers seem right for your normal 5'8 150 lb 14 year old kid?

I am kind of lost and any direction would be awesome.

deeder
11-07-2007, 03:27 AM
The calories that each person needs can be very different so saying that a whole team should eat 3000 calories is pretty dumb.

Encourage them to eat as much as they can and if they have questions about diet send them here :thumbup:

RhodeHouse
11-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Eat. It's as simple as that. No reason to reinvent the wheel. Besides, they're 14-15 year olds? They're gonna eat whatever they want, anyways.

ecfootball28
11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I realize that calorie intake will vary from person to person, but I'm thinking along the lines of a bare minimum for them?

I also know to tell them to eat, but I also would like to have them start learning basics of nutritition. After talking to some, the basic diet appears to be cereal for breakfast, a chicken sandwich or nachos from the school cafeteria, maybe a slurpee or 2 rodeo burgers, then whatever mom makes for dinner. This seems like maybe 1500-2000 calories max? This is during football season as well with quite a bit of conditioning.

I want to have them learn the basics of nutrition while getting enough to eat so they grow at the best rate possible. OK, so what would you reccomend for a bulk for these kids? I was thinking along the lines of +800 calories and at least 30g of protein more than their bodyweight. Something basic, yet giving them the general idea, while also being beneficial.

drew
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Teach them the basics of nutrition. Mainly what foods to eat a lot of and what to avoid. But really hammer home the importance of eating a ton of food. Don't give them calorie guidelines because the average 15-year-old doesn't care and won't track calories. Instead, give them ideas as to how much food is enough. That means a big breakfast, eggs, meat, oatmeal/cereal. A big lunch with a lot of protein, a lot of vegetables, and a lot of potatoes or rice. Same thing for dinner. Between the main meals they should be eating sandwiches, fruit, eggs, nuts, whatever really. Make sure they drink a lot of milk and water. For the really skinny kids, get them eating more ice cream and whatever they want really.

You can teach them the basics without boring them to death.