PDA

View Full Version : Protein question?

HoytHunter4
11-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I was wondering if I should take my protein shakes before and after or just after my workouts. What do you guys think is more beneficial?

Detard
11-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I try to get in a good amount of protein right AFTER I lift.

deeder
11-06-2007, 09:21 PM
:withstupi:

Kastro
11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
After.

hintsas5
11-06-2007, 10:04 PM
I was under the impression that it didnt matter when, just as long as you got your amount of protein for that day...(1 gram per pound of lbm)..so does it really matter if you take it before, after, or 5 hours after?

Detard
11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I was under the impression that it didnt matter when, just as long as you got your amount of protein for that day...(1 gram per pound of lbm)..so does it really matter if you take it before, after, or 5 hours after?

Yeah but protein helps to rebuild torn muscle tissue which is what happens when you lift. So why would you wait 5 hours to feed your muscles.

hintsas5
11-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah but protein helps to rebuild torn muscle tissue which is what happens when you lift. So why would you wait 5 hours to feed your muscles.

I guess, but if you are getting enough protein throughout the day then you should have enough to not have to worry about taking the protein right after the workout...I was exaggerating a little by say 5 hrs. But you get my point.

deeder
11-07-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm always hungry right after a workout so a protein shake keeps me satiated until I can get home and get another meal in.

garjagan
11-07-2007, 04:56 AM
I guess, but if you are getting enough protein throughout the day then you should have enough to not have to worry about taking the protein right after the workout...I was exaggerating a little by say 5 hrs. But you get my point.

But timing is definately important. I'm slowly letting nutriatian info sink into my thick skull and what I do make sure of now is that I get 60 gms of carbs and 30 gms of protein (in liquid form) straight into my blood as soon as I've get into the gym locker room after lifting.

I know the body can use protein for energy so maybe some is wasted if it's taken in before working out (however I could be getting well out of my scientific depth with that statement),

krboyd7
11-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Take mine with water,60g dextrose and 5g creatine mono right after my workout.
I then follow up with a meral one hour later.

Guido
11-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Here. Read this:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do;jsessionid=2AA050C7C1971CC48AA738582B836655.hydra?id=1793585

porto_6
11-07-2007, 05:07 PM
I was wondering if I should take my protein shakes before and after or just after my workouts. What do you guys think is more beneficial?

Your body needs protein during it's anabolic state. Usually your anabolic windows closes 15 minutes after your workout.

Chubrock
11-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Your body needs protein during it's anabolic state. Usually your anabolic windows closes 15 minutes after your workout.

Stop spouting **** you don't know about. This whole tiny anabolic window thing has been discussed numerous times. As one of the more astute members put it, you could drive a damn truck through it.

Doobs
11-07-2007, 09:03 PM

Both :hide:

RichMcGuire
11-07-2007, 09:42 PM

One word: Insulin.

smalls
11-07-2007, 11:53 PM
One word: Insulin.

Please expound.

The anabolic window, insulin shuttling and PWO nutrition in general is probably the most overated topic discussed in any weightlifting community. It can help, but total overall calories are the most important. And based on the posters need to ask this question I would guess his overall diet may not be in line with his goals, which far outweighs a single PWO shake.

growthrep
11-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Bodybuilding is quite simple. Do heavy compound movements, eat 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bw (minimum), drink as much water as you can and get adequate (8-10 hrs) sleep each night. Apply the above formula for years and you will look like an adonis. Do any part of it half ass and you will fail.

smalls
11-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Bodybuilding is quite simple. Do heavy compound movements, eat more calories than you burn while getting in plenty of protein, drink as much water as you can and get adequate (8-10 hrs) sleep each night. Apply the above formula for years and you will look like better than most people. Do any part of it half ass and you will fail.

I fixed the part I disagreed with, but pretty much right on.

mikey4402
11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
The anabolic window, insulin shuttling and PWO nutrition in general is probably the most overated topic discussed in any weightlifting community. It can help, but total overall calories are the most important. And based on the posters need to ask this question I would guess his overall diet may not be in line with his goals, which far outweighs a single PWO shake.

agreed.

Proper post workout nutrition may provide benifits. however it means nothing if your daily macros are not inline.

mikey4402
11-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Bodybuilding is quite simple. Do heavy compound movements, eat 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bw (minimum), drink as much water as you can and get adequate (8-10 hrs) sleep each night. Apply the above formula for years and you will look like an adonis. Do any part of it half ass and you will fail.

well put

Holto
11-08-2007, 01:34 PM
But timing is definately important. I'm slowly letting nutriatian info sink into my thick skull and what I do make sure of now is that I get 60 gms of carbs and 30 gms of protein (in liquid form) straight into my blood as soon as I've get into the gym locker room after lifting.

I know the body can use protein for energy so maybe some is wasted if it's taken in before working out (however I could be getting well out of my scientific depth with that statement),

Straight into your stomach. Although the carbs don't require digestion, the protein does.