PDA

View Full Version : A question on setting up a westside type routine

brihead301
11-07-2007, 02:11 PM
I've been reading a lot of articles about westside training, but I'm still kind of confused as to how to set up a routine which incorporates ME and DE days. I want to try and stick with a 3-day per week routine. I have a few questions though:

1.) Do you usually do squats and deadlifts on the same day?
2.) I understand that there is a ME day and a DE day for bench, squat, and deadlift, but is there a ME day for the assistance exercises?
3.) Are assistance exercises anything other then bench, squat, and deadlift. For instance would rows, pull-ups, dips, romanian deads, overhead press, good mornings, etc... be considered assistance exercises? Also, would isolation stuff be considered assistance exercises - curls, tricep pushdowns, skull-crushers, etc...
4.) Do you incorporate olympic lifts into the routine as well?

drew
11-07-2007, 02:38 PM
1) Yes, but you don't max on both.
2) No, assistance exercises are done after the main movement on ME and DE days.
3) Assistance exercises are anything that help build the bench, squat and deadlift. For beginners these are anything that involves the hamstrings, upper and lower back, triceps and abs.
4) You can, but it's not necessary.

Scooter
11-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Good FAQ on WS: http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/louie2.htm

Here's a good 3-day WS program already setup for you: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

brihead301
11-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Nice! Thanks a lot fellows. I appreciate it.

Even just by reading the articles on the westside website, it's still not exactly clear, but those links helped.

RhodeHouse
11-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Go to EliteFTS.com and look up my article on the 3-Day Westside Template. Matt Rhodes' 3 Day Template. Or, look at my training log. I don't do speed work for the squat and DL, but it's a 3-Day split.

I would do a 4 day split, if I were you. As a young lifter, you need time under the bar. Don't overcomplicate it. This is Westside:

Max Effort = Heavy
Dynamic Effort = Fast
Repeated Effort = Bodybuilding

All your assistance work is 5-10 reps like a bodybuilder. If you don't get it, PM me and I'll simplify it for you.

brihead301
11-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks Rhodehouse. No, I'm not trying to complicate things. I do realize that time under the bar is what's needed, and I have been spending lots of time under the bar for the past 6 months. I really just wasn't sure about how to set up a routine with DE, ME, and RE in there, but those links and the journals are clearing it up for me.

RhodeHouse
11-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Cool. Get back to me if you have questions. The cool thing about Westside is you make it work for what you need. I would still recommend following the traditional 4 day split.