PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much protein for someone my size?

motionman04
11-08-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm trying to bulk up from 148lbs to 175ish, and my diet consists of all clean foods, but my protein amount is around 269g, I was wondering, in the process of bulking, is this okay for now or is it too much?

mikey4402
11-08-2007, 08:34 PM
the guidline is around 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body mass.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-09-2007, 12:58 AM
That's not a guideline. That's a minimum... and you made this thread twice.

krboyd7
11-09-2007, 05:46 AM
I roughly take in 200g a day and weigh almost 200lbs and that seems to be enough for me to grow.

drew
11-09-2007, 05:51 AM
It's fine.

Naff
11-14-2007, 06:37 AM
the guidline is around 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body mass.
Latest research actually puts it at 1.5-2g per kilogram. Considering a kilogram is 2.2lbs, 1.5g/lbs sounds like a little too much.

Cirino83
11-14-2007, 07:18 AM
I go for atleast 1.5g/lb every day...sometimes much more, sometimes less, but aim for 1.5.

BBB
11-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Latest research actually puts it at 1.5-2g per kilogram. Considering a kilogram is 2.2lbs, 1.5g/lbs sounds like a little too much.

That sounds like it's recommendation is for the general population. Not weight lifters and body builders.

mikey4402
11-14-2007, 09:41 AM

i would like to see this research, do you have a link tails?

growthrep
11-14-2007, 09:51 AM
http://www.leehayward.com/protein_part3.htm

One of my fav reads for natty BBs on protein intake.

theman
11-14-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm trying to bulk up from 148lbs to 175ish, and my diet consists of all clean foods, but my protein amount is around 269g, I was wondering, in the process of bulking, is this okay for now or is it too much?

WOW!!!!! Can you please tell me what are you eating? Thanks.

Torrok
11-14-2007, 02:58 PM

im gonna second that, seriously..how many cals is this??

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Latest research actually puts it at 1.5-2g per kilogram. Considering a kilogram is 2.2lbs, 1.5g/lbs sounds like a little too much.Um...again...that's a MINIMUM. If that sounds like too much, you need to rethink some things. There isn't "too much". When you're bulking, you'll probably be getting more than that anyway.

Slim Schaedle
11-14-2007, 05:28 PM

I don't get it.

What is so big about 269grams/protein?

I can reach 350 with relatively no effort. And that's without any powders.

Invain
11-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Who says it's a minimum? You love to state things like it's absolute fact. I'm not denying 1.5 is a good number to shoot for, but damn. I'm sure I get less than that on most days and I haven't had any problem making gains.

Invain
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I can reach 350 with relatively no effort. And that's without any powders.

Sooo, what exactly do you eat on a normal day? I could get 350 too if I ate pure chicken all day and nothing else.

Slim Schaedle
11-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Sooo, what exactly do you eat on a normal day? I could get 350 too if I ate pure chicken all day and nothing else.

The point of my post was to point out that 269grams protein is not that much and it's not too terribly hard to get more assuming someone is eating good foods with an ubundance of calories.

Why are you questioning me?

I could be wrong but your post seems rather snide.

Killa Kurt
11-14-2007, 06:43 PM
I came straight to the bottom of the post, and my answer is NO. I don't even know how much you weigh, or how much protein you're taking it, but it's never too much.

Invain
11-14-2007, 07:00 PM
The point of my post was to point out that 269grams protein is not that much and it's not too terribly hard to get more assuming someone is eating good foods with an ubundance of calories.

Why are you questioning me?

I could be wrong but your post seems rather snide.

I wasn't questioning you Slim, although after re-reading I can see how it could be interpreted that way.

I really was curious as to what your diet is like. 350 grams in a day still seems like a lot to me given no powder and not a bajillion calories.

getb1g
11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
I have lotta trouble getting my macro goals.. i get full too easy. but i try

Slim Schaedle
11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I wasn't questioning you Slim, although after re-reading I can see how it could be interpreted that way.

I really was curious as to what your diet is like. 350 grams in a day still seems like a lot to me given no powder and not a bajillion calories.

Ah, ok. Gotya.

Oats
Milk
Splenda
blueberries
strawberries
raspberries
blackberries
peaches
other misc fruit
steak (roughly 2 pounds)
chicken
fish oil
walnuts
olive oil

Those are the staples. Maybe a misc carb source thrown in somewhere as well.

Con
11-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Ah, ok. Gotya.

Oats
Milk
Splenda
blueberries
strawberries
raspberries
blackberries
peaches
other misc fruit
steak (roughly 2 pounds)
chicken
fish oil
walnuts
olive oil

I thought I was the only one who considered splenda a staple food.

Any reason you dont vary the diet, or is that just a list of the stuff you usually eat?

Slim Schaedle
11-14-2007, 08:06 PM
I thought I was the only one who considered splenda a staple food.

Any reason you dont vary the diet, or is that just a list of the stuff you usually eat?

Actually, those have been staples for only the past few weeks while I re-establish my maintenance again and focus on consistency.

Over the summer I fell off the boat for a bit while eating crappy, being inconsistent, etc.

I am not against variety, but I like knowing how I will feel/look eating what foods.

Invain
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Ah, ok. Gotya.

Oats
Milk
Splenda
blueberries
strawberries
raspberries
blackberries
peaches
other misc fruit
steak (roughly 2 pounds)
chicken
fish oil
walnuts
olive oil

Damn man, that's nice. I wish I could eat like that everyday.

Slim Schaedle
11-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Damn man, that's nice. I wish I could eat like that everyday.

Comes out to about $50 weekly.

Sam's club.

Beno79
11-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Ah, ok. Gotya.

Oats
Milk
Splenda
blueberries
strawberries
raspberries
blackberries
peaches
other misc fruit
steak (roughly 2 pounds)
chicken
fish oil
walnuts
olive oil

Is that 2 pounds of steak a day? For $50 a week....nice! Steak costs a fortune over here!

markfromaurora
11-15-2007, 07:50 AM
i went to a drug test two weeks ago and my doctor said i had a little too much protein in my urine. i eat meats pretty much everyday, and only about 1 protein shake that has anywhere from 48- 60Grams of protein...

theman
11-15-2007, 12:44 PM
2 pounds of steak and 1 pound of chicken would probably equal 80% of the total protein you mentioned. I don't think berries and oats have much protein.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Who says it's a minimum? You love to state things like it's absolute fact. I'm not denying 1.5 is a good number to shoot for, but damn. I'm sure I get less than that on most days and I haven't had any problem making gains.It's a ballpark figure to aim for. You don't necessarily have to eat that much, it's just to remind you that you need to keep your protein high. The 1.5 is not my figure. I use the 1 gram per pound of LBM as the recommendation. People are throwing out all kinds of random numbers now.

Point is...just eat your protein. :thumbup:

Slim Schaedle
11-15-2007, 06:15 PM
2 pounds of steak and 1 pound of chicken would probably equal 80% of the total protein you mentioned. I don't think berries and oats have much protein.

I also listed milk.

I also did not list a chicken amount.

What gram amount are you getting for the steak?

1/2 cup of oats has 5g protein, so it does add up.

theman
11-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Hey Slim Schaedel why don't you do me a huge favour and put up a little list of how much amounts of what should I take to get over 200g of protein. I am going shopping today :)

Slim Schaedle
11-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey Slim Schaedel why don't you do me a huge favour and put up a little list of how much amounts of what should I take to get over 200g of protein. I am going shopping today :)

All you would have to do is choose any of the foods I listed (or any that have protein) and simply eat enough of it to reach your goal in grams.

I could write up 1000 different lists of food combos with differing amounts that add up to 200 grams protein/

The only way to learn this game is by gaining the knowledge and doing it yourself.

Buy some food.
Enter it's nutrition facts per serving in fitday.com
Consume foods until you get your target number.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
All you would have to do is choose any of the foods I listed (or any that have protein) and simply eat enough of it to reach your goal in grams.

I could write up 1000 different lists of food combos with differing amounts that add up to 200 grams protein/

The only way to learn this game is by gaining the knowledge and doing it yourself.

Buy some food.
Enter it's nutrition facts per serving in fitday.com
Consume foods until you get your target number.You forgot the fourth most important rule.

"REPEAT"

;)

JDaws
11-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Now...if you can obtain your daily protein goal without any powders should you just go with that? Or would you guys recommend drinking at least one shake a day for the extra supplements?

1ManRiot
11-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Yes.

Keith
11-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Yes.

Why?