PDA

View Full Version : shirt bench/boards question

minotaur70
11-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey all,

I lift with IPF so I gotta wear a poly single ply for benching. Anyway, for a long time I have known that ideally would should do shirt work full rom. I know Vince has said this, Scott Yard said this, Sebastian Burns said this. So- I should do this right? My problem is with a reasonably tight f6 or katana I can't touch less than 530. In fact, in the katana I'm using at the moment touching 550 is a task- my comp PR is 556! For this reason- and because the dudes I train do shirt board work- I have been touching rarely and doing shirted boards- doing most of my work off a 2-board. I just picked up a bigger shirt and I'm hoping if I can touch less I can do what I think I should be (doing my shirt stuff to the chest). My feeling is that, while I a getting better at touching, there is just so much difference between a 2board and full rom that I know I should be working more on touching. But will training in a loose shirt help me bench in a tight one?? Anyway, thoughts- suggestions?????

jtteg_x
11-09-2007, 08:17 PM
im not a big time bencher but heres how i would play it. use the loose shirt for your opener (475-+). when the meet comes by, 3-5 weeks out, train with the tight shirt for your 2nd and/or 3rd attempt using boards whether you need 4/3/2/1.

decide on a 3rd attempt number and add accordingly.

RhodeHouse
11-09-2007, 09:57 PM
No boards with shirt. You answered your own question. You can touch 500 in that shirt. You have to LEARN how to do it. Vincent touched 635 in the same shirt he benched 800 in. You gotta nut up and be patient. It'll touch. If not, you gotta make it touch.

minotaur70
11-09-2007, 11:29 PM
No boards with shirt. You answered your own question. You can touch 500 in that shirt. You have to LEARN how to do it. Vincent touched 635 in the same shirt he benched 800 in. You gotta nut up and be patient. It'll touch. If not, you gotta make it touch.

I know thats true. I worked at it today- just kept taking 500 and tucking/pulling/working. Every rep got a little closer- I ended up less than a inch from my chest. Next week I'll do it again and again until I touch. I knew thats what I should do- I just needed someone to tell me.

C.Pop
11-10-2007, 07:08 AM

Agreed.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/art_of_triples.htm

minotaur70
11-10-2007, 02:33 PM
thats one of my favorite articles. If others haven't looked at it yet- do so.