PDA

View Full Version : jumping for football

FootballLifter
11-09-2007, 06:48 PM
I work out 4 days a week after school with the football team but we don't do any plyometrics. So what can I can do on my own time to increse my vertical in the offseason?

beaverfootball
11-09-2007, 11:05 PM
anything that works the crap out of the fast twitch fibers in your legs. any box work at all will put u at an advantage.

mikey4402
11-10-2007, 04:00 PM
i would think if i was a football player i would be more worried about my speed then how high i can jump.

FootballLifter
11-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Well I try to improve everything as much as I can

Sensei
11-10-2007, 08:49 PM
I think that you need to work on basic speed and strength. Don't bother with plyos - you are not at a level where you need them. Most coaches have no clue what they are doing when they include them in high school programs.

Rocket Reidy
11-10-2007, 09:16 PM
I work out 4 days a week after school with the football team but we don't do any plyometrics. So what can I can do on my own time to increse my vertical in the offseason?

half squats
front squats
clean lifts
jump squats
=]

and tuck jumps

you start in a squat position
then spring up as high as you can, and tuck your legs to your chest then bring them back down and land in a squat
andspring up again
do it like 6times in a row, 3 sets
every day all offseason

sprint train, and work on acceleration and uphill running
jumping comes with speed
if you have fast acceleration and explosive sprinting, generally you can jump higher too :)

Adam.
01-16-2008, 11:05 AM
God I really didn't sign up to do this, but check out the site w w w . theverticalsummit . com (omit the spaces). We have tons of info on improving your vertical.

For the first poster, speed and vertical increases go hand in hand as far as training is concerned (technique is another matter).

For the guy above me, that is great advice, but the best thing I can tell the OP to do is visit the site above and buy The Vertical Jump Development Bible by Kelly Bagget. Opened a whole new world to me.

schmitty199
01-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Jumping drills will help you get faster, but theres really no point in focusing on your vertical for football. The only positions it's nessecary for is WR's and DB's. Heck then most of the time you'll be jumping off 1 foot, off balance, or at an angle. A bigger vertical rarely is going to make much of a difference in your performance. Speed, strength, and size will though.

Adam.
01-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Jumping drills will help you get faster, but theres really no point in focusing on your vertical for football. The only positions it's nessecary for is WR's and DB's. Heck then most of the time you'll be jumping off 1 foot, off balance, or at an angle. A bigger vertical rarely is going to make much of a difference in your performance. Speed, strength, and size will though.

Except that training for vertical has a direct carry over to speed. The missing link between the two is the technique required for one or the other. If his sprinting technique is sound, training for vertical will improve his sprinting speed because performance improvement from either is based around the same performance needs. Big maximal strengths, crazy RFD, and great plyometric efficiency.

Adam.
01-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Rimmer and Sleivert (2000) compared the effects of sprint-specific plyometric training against traditional sprint training on 10-meter and 40-meter sprint times. The plyometrics group showed significant decreases in both 10-meter and 40-meter times. However, these improvements weren’t significantly different from the sprint group. In their conclusion, the authors state that sprint-specific plyometrics can improve 40-meter sprint times by the same extent as traditional sprint training possibly through decreasing ground contact times.

Rimmer E and Sleivert G (2000) Effects of a plyometrics intervention program on sprint performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 14(3):295–301.

Isaac Wilkins
01-18-2008, 10:23 AM
In the off-season I wouldn't worry a whole lot about plyo stuff. Plyo work generally only demonstrates improvements for the first 6-8 weeks or so. You're best off moving towards that type of training as you get closer to the season.

In the deep off-season like now focus on getting bigger and stronger while doing some sprint and running technique work to acclimate yourself to your bigger and stronger body.