PDA

View Full Version : deadlift advice (with video)

garjagan
11-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice regarding my deadlift form. In the vid I start at 130 pounds for a warm up set and my form seems okay. But as I get heavier (220, 264, 308) it gets worst and worst.

My question is: how much worst is it getting? By the last lift I can see that my legs straighten up too soon and my back does most of the work. Should I stick at working up to 300 for my max and try to get my form right or am I just not strong enough yet? I want to push myself hard but I dont want to get into bad habits or injure myself. There's only one powerlifter at my gym so I really dont have many people to ask about this.

I'm 5'10, 163 pounds and I've lifted on and off for years but I've gotten serious in these past 3 months.

Any advice/critisism would be appreciated. Thanks.

garjagan
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
The video isnt working for me. In case it doesnt work at all here's the link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sl-P4Fr3d6o

RhodeHouse
11-12-2007, 06:56 PM
There's a bunch of things that are off.

1. Hips are too low to start
2. Don't jerk the bar off the floor
3. Don't lean back at the top
4. Your abs, back, and hamstrings are very weak
5. Get your weight on your heels before you pull

I would start with 135 until it's perfect. Then move on to 185 and so forth.

tomv
11-12-2007, 10:58 PM
My advice when it comes to powerlifting matters is to listen to Rhodes.

garjagan
11-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Cheers Rhodes. I'll stick at 135 for reps and try to build some muscle/work on my form. I had a feeling my hamstrings were a seriously weak link, they're more like just strings really, I'll hit them hard in the coming weeks, as well as my back. Thanks again.

Darracq
11-13-2007, 07:27 AM
The bar needs to stay right up against you all the way up. You might even rub your shin but dont do it on purpose. Try to watch some of the good deadlifters.

garjagan
11-13-2007, 07:45 AM
The bar needs to stay right up against you all the way up. You might even rub your shin but dont do it on purpose. Try to watch some of the good deadlifters.

Yeah I do think need to watch more videos. I really need a competent d.lifter to stand and watch me.

As for holding the bar close to me, I'll have to go back and check that, I can say that as I got into the shower this morning I noticed that my shins have big round purple bruises and peeling skin so there was definately contact there at some point of the movement.

brihead301
11-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Do you guys happen to have a link or links to what a perfect deadlift looks like from the side, because I would have thought that the first lift in that video was done with perfect form, but I'm certainly no expert.

Detard
11-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Chris has really good form.

poyrLz6GpEk
ytkVmuO8v8E

brihead301
11-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Cool, thanks a lot. I can't watch them right now, because I'm at work, and videos don't play on my work computer, but I'll definately check them out later after work.