PDA

View Full Version : Carbs/bulk questions

Whoshot
11-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Ok, ive decided to go on a bulk. I realize that I need 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight....I read that I should also recieve about 40--60% of my calories from carbs.....am I right about that? Also, would around a 300 calorie increase of my maitnaince be perfect for a slow bulk?

Last question for now: If I begin to eat 300 calories over my maitnaince and over a few weeks I gain maybe 5 pounds, wont my maitnaince calories change since im at a higher bodyweight? Should I bump of the calorie intake after I have gained a few pounds? Thanks.

Unreal
11-12-2007, 04:48 PM
1g is the minimum. Make sure to get enough healthy fat too. .5g/lb. Fill the rest in with whatever makes you feel happy inside.

300 would be nice and slow. Genetics, training, and tons of factors go into how your body will process extra cals. 300 could be great, or not enough. Try it and see. If it is going too slow then up it. As for adjusting cals as you gain weight, yes. Your maintence will go up as you add weight.

RhodeHouse
11-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Never let yourself get hungry and you'll gain weight. It's much simpler and more effective than counting everything. Keep the protein to 1g per lb of body weight, minimum.

Latin Assassin
11-15-2007, 12:19 PM
For bulking, without adding much unwanted fat, I recommend

1.5g Protein x LB
1.5g - 2g Carbs x LB
0.5g Fat x LB

For a 200 lb man, this would be 3300 - 3700 calories. This would be assuming that you are coming off a cut diet, where carbs were restricted/limited.

nthorpe
11-18-2007, 03:57 PM
1 g of protein per pound of body weight. I dont understand what this means? Does this mean each day we should eat at least that amount or per meal or what? Sorry im abit of a newbie

gregster
11-18-2007, 06:44 PM
1 g of protein per pound of body weight. I dont understand what this means? Does this mean each day we should eat at least that amount or per meal or what? Sorry im abit of a newbie

That's per day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Never let yourself get hungry and you'll gain weight. It's much simpler and more effective than counting everything. Keep the protein to 1g per lb of body weight, minimum.You gotta stop saying that in every thread. Really. Stop generalizing with your tiny little hunger example there. Hunger is not the only factor involved. You can be satiated all day long and still not gain an ounce. Not everyone reacts the same, especially with the combination of metabolism and the brain's signaling of hunger. I think you're overcomplicating it by dummying it down so much that it strips away anything that even resembles helpful advice.

RedSpikeyThing
11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
For bulking, without adding much unwanted fat, I recommend

1.5g Protein x LB
1.5g - 2g Carbs x LB
0.5g Fat x LB

Care to explain how that minimizes fat gain?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Care to explain how that minimizes fat gain?It doesn't. :thumbup: