PDA

View Full Version : eggs

OverDose
11-12-2007, 06:59 PM
gidday

i was under the impression eggs where pretty good for you and low in fat, just found out theres 14g of fat in each. so how i eat has been bad without realising it

read a few things saying the yoke is the good part and others saying the white is

advice?

RhodeHouse
11-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Eggs are great . Eat them. They've been good for you for thousands of years. Now, all of a sudden, some jackass comes out with a study that says eggs are bad? Don't read so much. It'll screw you up. There's way too much bad info out there.

bigmoney
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
end of thread ^^

I eat a dozen eggs a day, blood work near perfect. Who says fat is bad for you?

dpdd
11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Its all good. Eat as many as you like.

getb1g
11-12-2007, 08:38 PM
arent those omega fatty acids?

Keith
11-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Eggs are cool.

mikey4402
11-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Eggs are great . Eat them. They've been good for you for thousands of years. Now, all of a sudden, some jackass comes out with a study that says eggs are bad? Don't read so much. It'll screw you up. There's way too much bad info out there.

best thing i read in weeks!

Just eat the eggs! and chase it with a nice cold beer :alcoholic:

Ritzol
11-13-2007, 11:46 AM
egg yolks are high in cholesterol.

everything in moderation

beaverfootball
11-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Just eat the eggs! and chase it with a nice cold beer :alcoholic:

:withstupi:

:thumbup:

unless your on a cut.. :(

krboyd7
11-13-2007, 01:05 PM
14g of fat in one egg? Is that a dinosaur egg your eating?

Eggs are good for ya. About 7g protein per egg (3g per white). simply cut down on the yolks, i have 2-3 yolks a day.

brihead301
11-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I like eggs

RhodeHouse
11-13-2007, 02:37 PM

everything in moderation

Stop crying and eat some eggs. Do you wanna live forever?

Cirino83
11-13-2007, 02:45 PM

hahaha LOL! :D

Cirino83
11-13-2007, 02:46 PM

hahaha LOL! :D

to the OP, unless you have an existing cholestorol problem, you'll be fine. Eat the whole eggs.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I thought I clicked edit, but then realized it was too late and I posted twice...

Ritzol
11-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Stop crying and eat some eggs. Do you wanna live forever?

As far as I'm concerned the main reason for eating eggs is because of their protein...... not the fat. I think there are much healthier sources to obtain one's fat from. I'm not saying the whole egg is bad for you, I just don't see the point of it.

oh, and BTW... I eat 12-18 egg whites a day, so STFU.. thanks

RhodeHouse
11-13-2007, 09:15 PM
As far as I'm concerned the main reason for eating eggs is because of their protein...... not the fat. I think there are much healthier sources to obtain one's fat from. I'm not saying the whole egg is bad for you, I just don't see the point of it.

Eggs are the best source of bioavailable protein. The yoke has healthy fat and tons of nutrients. The white only has protein. So, have fun with your 18 egg whites a day. I'm very proud of you and your egg whites.

Sidior
11-13-2007, 09:50 PM

everything in moderation

Do you understand the relationship between personal cholesterol levels and cholesterol you eat?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-13-2007, 11:06 PM
^^

I'm guessing he doesn't.

Cirino83
11-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Ritzol is a 'she'

Stumprrp
11-14-2007, 07:51 AM
eggs are one of the best foods for lifting, i try to eat them every day at breakfast, 3-5 fried.

Bergs
11-14-2007, 08:24 AM
If you tend to eat the yolks, I would advise eating organic/omega 3 eggs. Chickens that are mass producing eggs aren't getting the healthiest of diets, so like with pretty much any food, eggs are healthier when produced how natured intended - in this case, from a free-range chicken whose diet is high in grain and flax, not stuck in pens with low-quality grain and corn (and sometimes each other!). They're more expensive, but much better for you.

What I do is use Omega3 eggs for my whole eggs and the inferior eggs for the whites. Best of both worlds (healthy and cheap).

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 08:30 AM
If you tend to eat the yolks, I would advise eating organic/omega 3 eggs. Chickens that are mass producing eggs aren't getting the healthiest of diets, so like with pretty much any food, eggs are healthier when produced how natured intended - in this case, from a free-range chicken whose diet is high in grain and flax, not stuck in pens with low-quality grain and corn (and sometimes each other!). They're more expensive, but much better for you.

What I do is use Omega3 eggs for my whole eggs and the inferior eggs for the whites. Best of both worlds (healthy and cheap).

That's a lot of work, dude. I'll just keep eating the "bad" eggs and be happy with the results I'm getting. I'm a big fan of the pen-bread chickens. You know they must've done something really bad in chicken society to be stuck in those pens.

Bergs
11-14-2007, 08:35 AM
You won't ever squat a grand unless you perfectly balance your Omega3's and Omega6's. Mark my words. The Oracle has spoken.

I don't see what's so hard about it though, I'm kind of on autopilot in the morning when I make my scrambled eggs. If I made it part of my morning routine, I bet I could start juggling 10 eggs at a time without giving it a second thought.

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 08:48 AM
You won't ever squat a grand unless you perfectly balance your Omega3's and Omega6's. Mark my words. The Oracle has spoken.

I don't see what's so hard about it though, I'm kind of on autopilot in the morning when I make my scrambled eggs. If I made it part of my morning routine, I bet I could start juggling 10 eggs at a time without giving it a second thought.

My fats are balanced perfectly. A lot of the unhealthy ones mixed in with some of the healthy ones. I find the healthy ones don't taste that good. In this day and age of quick fixes and doing it the "easy" way, I find the unhealthy fats to be more appealing. Hell, I don't even know which fats are supposed to be bad for you. I think trans fats and staurated fats get a bad rap. Think about this: Fried Chicken. Chicken is supposed to be good for you (only if it's organic, range fed, grains, wheat, pure water from a mountain stream type stuff) Well, it's chicken, with some tasty fat around it. How about chicken fried steak? Nothing spells jacked like fried steak.

If you like to do what you do in the morning, I think that's totally cool. More power to you. But, don't ever make fun of fat guys and their eating habits. We're the ones the little people come running to when you need help. It's physics, or something like that.

Bergs
11-14-2007, 09:06 AM
I bet the healthy fats in your diet don't even want to be there with all the bad influences around them, what with their gang signs and all. Do the right thing and tell the good fats to move out of the neighborhood.

And trust me, I don't like what I do in the morning. It's a pain making a 10 egg omelette every morning (doesn't even taste that good). I know this is a one-way ticket out of RHODESTOWN, but I've been trying to eat a bit healthier lately. I used to eat just like you, but my strength wasn't where I wanted it to be, so I decided to lean out a bit first and work my way back up. But trust me, I know all about gorging (one 10 month period took me from 210 to 285 and another 3 month period took me from 265 to 300).

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 10:25 AM
I bet the healthy fats in your diet don't even want to be there with all the bad influences around them, what with their gang signs and all. Do the right thing and tell the good fats to move out of the neighborhood.

And trust me, I don't like what I do in the morning. It's a pain making a 10 egg omelette every morning (doesn't even taste that good). I know this is a one-way ticket out of RHODESTOWN, but I've been trying to eat a bit healthier lately. I used to eat just like you, but my strength wasn't where I wanted it to be, so I decided to lean out a bit first and work my way back up. But trust me, I know all about gorging (one 10 month period took me from 210 to 285 and another 3 month period took me from 265 to 300).

I'm not sure why people seem to think that being lean will help your strength. I guess it's the age of the metrosexual and abs are supposed to be cool, or something like that.

I have the answer to why your strength wasn't where you wanted it.

1. You expect it to come too quickly
2. Your training program sucks

Sorry dude. Strength takes decades to build. There are some freaks, but they are the exception to the rule. It's all about training. Diet plays a small role in strength developement. Not to mention the fact that you have no idea how I eat. So telling me that you used to eat like me would lead me to believe that you should be 315lbs at 18%BF. Which, by all strength standards, is damn good shape. Those that think differently have no clue what they are talking about.

I know a lot of good powerlifters and pro strongmen. Eating some bad food is all part of the game. When you guys figure out how to put it all together, you'll make some great progress.

Ritzol
11-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Awesome....

finally someone who knows everything in the world to know.....what an epiphany.

Bergs
11-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Well, I guess it's not so much that I think getting lean will help my lifting (even though it has, +50lbs on DL, +20lbs bench, the same squat all while losing 40 pounds), it's more that I wanted to rededicate myself to lifting. I had a nasty addiction to a computer game that wasted about a year of my life, and I figured changing my eating in addition to changing my lifting would be a surefire way to avoid relapse.

I didn't mean to insult you when I said I used to eat like you. I certainly don't know your diet. But I was putting down McDonalds, M&Ms, and ice cream with the best of 'em.

I have the answer to why your strength wasn't where you wanted it.

1. You expect it to come too quickly
2. Your training program sucks
1. Maybe true, but I do realize powerlifting is a lifelong comittment.
2. It used to, but I'd like to think it's a lot better now. When I came out to Boston for the fall, I decided to train with Eric Cressey at his gym, and I've learned a ton. I'm guessing he got a lot of ideas from South Side, so I hope you're not ragging on his program :)

Oh yea, and I have never had abs my entire life, nor do I desire them. Abs are a sign of malnutrition

Built
11-14-2007, 12:17 PM

everything in moderation

I eat at least four jumbo eggs - yolks and all - fried in butter with a chunk of cheddar melted in.

I used to have high cholesterol when I ate like you Ritzol. Now it's enviably low. You may wish to re-think your strategy. Aren't you the one who is having trouble with your metabolism? I wonder if maybe your fats are too low?

brihead301
11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Higher fat lowers cholesterol?

Ritzol
11-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I wonder if maybe your fats are too low?

Quite Possibly...

And Brihead.. I believe it depends on the source/type of fat. Deep-fried foods certainly will not help lower cholesterol.

brihead301
11-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Lol, ya I know which types of fat she was talking about. I just didn't know that fat lowered cholestoral. I know that I just recently started adding an extra 1000 calories per day to my diet in peanut butter alone, and it's helping me progress better.

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Well, I guess it's not so much that I think getting lean will help my lifting (even though it has, +50lbs on DL, +20lbs bench, the same squat all while losing 40 pounds), it's more that I wanted to rededicate myself to lifting. I had a nasty addiction to a computer game that wasted about a year of my life, and I figured changing my eating in addition to changing my lifting would be a surefire way to avoid relapse.

I didn't mean to insult you when I said I used to eat like you. I certainly don't know your diet. But I was putting down McDonalds, M&Ms, and ice cream with the best of 'em.

1. Maybe true, but I do realize powerlifting is a lifelong comittment.
2. It used to, but I'd like to think it's a lot better now. When I came out to Boston for the fall, I decided to train with Eric Cressey at his gym, and I've learned a ton. I'm guessing he got a lot of ideas from South Side, so I hope you're not ragging on his program :)

Oh yea, and I have never had abs my entire life, nor do I desire them. Abs are a sign of malnutrition

Dude, I'm just busting balls. I really do think it's awesome that you've rededicated yourself to training and being healthier. Keep after it.

However, I have some personal thoughts on Mr. Cressey. Whatever he tells you to do, do the opposite. He couldn't get strong if he fell on a needle filled with 10g of test. He is a smart kid, but, he's learned everything from a book. The only place to learn about lifting is under the bar. So yes, I am ragging on his program.

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Awesome....

finally someone who knows everything in the world to know.....what an epiphany.

Yes, it's true. I do know everything there is to know in the world. It's a cross that I must bare. But, I carry it well.

Bergs
11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Hmm... I assume you think the same thing about Tony? I'm not sure how much stronger I've gotten since I've been here (the meet this weekend will let me know, though), but they both seem to know their stuff. Then again, I've never trained in a *true* powerlifting gym.

Oh yea, and to everyone else, keep eatin' them eggs.

theman
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
I was watching this doc on my satellite TV the other day and he said eggs are bad for you unless you take out the yolk. Withouth the yolk it tastes like *****!!!! What am I gonna do with the yolk, throw it out $$$$$$$$?

SpartanStrength
11-14-2007, 02:36 PM
if im on a cut, i usually go with the cartoned "egg beaters". They taste amazing. Generally, eggs are good for you. I wouldnt worry about it.

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Hmm... I assume you think the same thing about Tony? I'm not sure how much stronger I've gotten since I've been here (the meet this weekend will let me know, though), but they both seem to know their stuff. Then again, I've never trained in a *true* powerlifting gym.

Oh yea, and to everyone else, keep eatin' them eggs.

I'm assuming Tony is his anorexic little friend? Similar thoughts on him, as well.

Here's some advice that I think is pretty good. Look at who you're getting knowledge from. What have they done? Not what have they read about. But, what have they done. How is a weak person going to tell you how to get strong? If you want to learn about fixing cars, would you go to a mechanic or to Barnes and Noble?

Eat the eggs. They are good for you. Arnold ate eggs.

arnoldsclone
11-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm assuming Tony is his anorexic little friend? Similar thoughts on him, as well.

Here's some advice that I think is pretty good. Look at who you're getting knowledge from. What have they done? Not what have they read about. But, what have they done. How is a weak person going to tell you how to get strong? If you want to learn about fixing cars, would you go to a mechanic or to Barnes and Noble?

eggs are also 98% bio available which makes them much more useable for your body to turn them into muscle, they are in all actuality the best source of protein there is.

read the sig- arnold says milk is for babies

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
eggs are also 98% bio available which makes them much more useable for your body to turn them into muscle, they are in all actuality the best source of protein there is.

read the sig- arnold says milk is for babies

Bam! Eat eggs, baby. If Arnold did it, it's good for you. Let's all drink beer and smoke weed.

Slim Schaedle
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Bam! Eat eggs, baby. If Arnold did it, it's good for you. Let's all drink beer and smoke weed.

But arnold was a lean pretty boy....with skinny legs.

Bergs
11-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Tony Gentilcore? Pretty sure he trained with you at Southside...

And yea, I definitely hear you on making sure your knowledge is coming from someone who's stronger than you. I'm not sure what Eric's numbers were like when you knew him, but he pulled 660 the other weak. Not a world record, but he's stronger than I am right now. Who would you've recommended I lift with while I was out here? And yea yea, I know... Boston is a worthless city.

Oh, and to all you egg fans, try them with some garlic powder and black pepper so they're not so bland.

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 08:27 PM
I would look into Total Performance Sports on Victoria Dr in Everett. CJ Murphy is the owner. Tell him Matt Rhodes sent you.

I didn't train with those little guys when they were coming to Southside. They were at the gym when we were there. But, they were not allowed to train with us.

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 08:31 PM
But arnold was a lean pretty boy....with skinny legs.

Arnold is the ONLY bodybuilder that I would ever want to look like. I think he had one of the most impressive physiques I've ever seen. The thing about Arnold is, to me, his body was attainable. It would take a lot of hard work and dedication, but it looked like it could be done. Nowadays, the guys look horrible. I'm all for drug use, but it SO obvious what guys are taking. Everybody looks fake. Anyone with any sense knows that they look that way because of gallons of drugs every year. Arnold still looked real, to me.

Eat eggs

Slim Schaedle
11-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Arnold is the ONLY bodybuilder that I would ever want to look like. I think he had one of the most impressive physiques I've ever seen. The thing about Arnold is, to me, his body was attainable. It would take a lot of hard work and dedication, but it looked like it could be done. Nowadays, the guys look horrible. I'm all for drug use, but it SO obvious what guys are taking. Everybody looks fake. Anyone with any sense knows that they look that way because of gallons of drugs every year. Arnold still looked real, to me.

Eat eggs

Agreed about the classic guys.

I would add Franco, however.

Bergs
11-15-2007, 08:11 AM
I would look into Total Performance Sports on Victoria Dr in Everett. CJ Murphy is the owner. Tell him Matt Rhodes sent you.
I didn't know about TPS until I got out here. I missed that EFS seminar because I was out of town that weekend :'( Anyway, I'm leaving Boston in about a month and doing two meets before then, so I probably won't have time to stop in there. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

And hmm... I wonder if Eric knows what you think about him. Maybe I'll tell him.

RhodeHouse
11-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I didn't know about TPS until I got out here. I missed that EFS seminar because I was out of town that weekend :'( Anyway, I'm leaving Boston in about a month and doing two meets before then, so I probably won't have time to stop in there. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

And hmm... I wonder if Eric knows what you think about him. Maybe I'll tell him.

Go ahead and tell him. I don't care. If you wanna be a little prick after I gave you some advice about a better gym, go ahead.

Bergs
11-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Hrm... wasn't trying to be a prick. It's just that it's probably too late to switch gyms. Appreciate the advice though.

And I wasn't trying to make a threat with the telling him comment. Was just thinking aloud about wondering what his take would be.

theman
11-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Did Arnie ate the yolks too?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Did Arnie ate the yolks too?Yes.

RhodeHouse
11-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Hrm... wasn't trying to be a prick. It's just that it's probably too late to switch gyms. Appreciate the advice though.

And I wasn't trying to make a threat with the telling him comment. Was just thinking aloud about wondering what his take would be.

Ask him. I really don't care what he thinks of me. I don't recognize men that lift in the women's classes.

As far as the gym thing - I don't care where you lift. I gave you a better place, in my mind, to learn how to get strong.

Detard
11-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Eggs make me fart. Other people dont like when I fart in class but I just sit and smile at them.

Bergs
11-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Ask him. I really don't care what he thinks of me. I don't recognize men that lift in the women's classes.

As far as the gym thing - I don't care where you lift. I gave you a better place, in my mind, to learn how to get strong.

I think I'll just leave it alone, I don't like making people mad.

But it sounds like our discussion has pretty much run its course, and since I'm flying out to California for a meet tomorrow, it's a good as time as any to finish this up. So good luck at your meet, hope you hit some monster weights. And I'd like to recommend to everyone else devilled eggs mixed with cinammon and chives. They're so freaking delicious.

theman
12-23-2007, 10:08 PM
I think we should have a poll about whether egss are GOOD or BAD for you. Personally I went from eating 4 eggs to 6 eggs a day. I fry em in olive oil(2 tablespoons) and eat them with 2 whole wheat pita bread ;) My size has went up