PDA

View Full Version : Eating Before Bed?

CaLLmeAhNuLd
11-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Currently I am on a cut, and I was wondering what the best thing would be for a bedtime snack.

Thanks

getb1g
11-12-2007, 08:33 PM
on a cut?

absolutely nothing.. or maybe a protein shake,

CaLLmeAhNuLd
11-12-2007, 08:36 PM
so nothing really benefecial?

getb1g
11-12-2007, 08:37 PM
im just guessing.

eating before bed is done on a bulk as it helps you gain weight
which your on a cut so you dont want that

wait for one of the pros to answer your questions.. im a newbie too :bang:

Unreal
11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Whatever fits into your diet plan. A slow protein like cottage cheese or meat would be best, but as long as it fits your daily macros eat whatever floats your boat.

mikey4402
11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
casine protein, cottage cheese

BFGUITAR
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
I cant go to bed hungry. Its 12 am and I just had a massive sub... I love bulking :D

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-13-2007, 01:06 AM
im just guessing.

eating before bed is done on a bulk as it helps you gain weight
which your on a cut so you dont want that

wait for one of the pros to answer your questions.. im a newbie too :bang:You absolutely want to eat before bed on a cut. You're trying to preserve LBM on a cut. Most tissue repair and regeneration occurs during sleep. Bedtime meals are a good thing.

Built
11-13-2007, 01:59 AM
I undereat during the daytime so I can overeat at night. I always have a bedtime meal, ESPECIALLY while cutting. It helps me diet when I know I get to go to bed fed.

For me, it's usually cottage cheese with some fruit and maybe a few walnuts or other raw nuts.

krboyd7
11-13-2007, 01:32 PM
on a cut?

Not trying to be funny but..

Not the best advice.

There is no maybe about it. You should still eat before bed. Minimise the carbs at this time tho. Definately have somet like a shake or cottage cheese. Going without food overnight can put your body in a catabolic state.

Con
11-13-2007, 04:24 PM

Not the best advice.

There is no maybe about it. You should still eat before bed. Minimise the carbs at this time tho. Definately have somet like a shake or cottage cheese. Going without food overnight can put your body in a catabolic state.

Not the best advice.

Unreal said it the best:

Whatever fits into your diet plan. A slow protein like cottage cheese or meat would be best, but as long as it fits your daily macros eat whatever floats your boat.

Slim Schaedle
11-13-2007, 09:33 PM
on a cut?

Horrible advice. (no offense)

The secondary point of cutting (next to losing fat) is preserving muscle.

Why would someone not take advantage of providing plenty of nutrients prior to the time when the body is going repar itself the most?

I say eat a pound of steak.

beaverfootball
11-13-2007, 11:09 PM
just to let you know...after reading this post i got up out of bed and had a tbsp of PB. it was delicious.

Naff
11-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Zero foods (like celery, some types of berry) that burn more calories to digest than what they have in them are always handy.

Latin Assassin
11-15-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree with most, you should eat something before bed, as you are tryin to preserve muscle mass while cutting. Just eliminate the carbs in this meal. And the protein should be from a slow digesting source. If you're gonna have a shake, add a tbsp or two. This will slow digestion.

Ritzol
11-15-2007, 07:05 PM
If you're below maintenance it isn't going to matter where the calories are coming from.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-15-2007, 07:12 PM
If you're below maintenance it isn't going to matter where the calories are coming from.What if all my calories are coming from table sugar? :)

Ritzol
11-15-2007, 07:35 PM
from what I have read it doesn't matter the source, but total calories...

BUT, if someone chose to eat simple, refined sugars all the time, wouldn't their body become predisposed to storing fat because of the insulin response once they went over maintenance level?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-15-2007, 07:38 PM
from what I have read it doesn't matter the source, but total calories...Yes...what you eat matters. If you eat **** all the time, your health is going to go downhill.

BUT, if someone chose to eat simple, refined sugars all the time, wouldn't their body become predisposed to storing fat because of the insulin response once they went over maintenance level?I don't think you're understanding basic biology. This has nothing to do with maintenance levels or bodybuilding. It's about your health in general. You can make gains eating crap, yes...but how you feel definitely depends on the food you stuff in your face. It's okay to eat junk now and then as life would suck if you did not, but eating nutrient dense foods will definitely make you feel a hell of a lot better than eating empty calories all day, every day.

Ritzol
11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Yes...what you eat matters. If you eat **** all the time, your health is going to go downhill.

I don't think you're understanding basic biology. This has nothing to do with maintenance levels or bodybuilding. It's about your health in general. You can make gains eating crap, yes...but how you feel definitely depends on the food you stuff in your face. It's okay to eat junk now and then as life would suck if you did not, but eating nutrient dense foods will definitely make you feel a hell of a lot better than eating empty calories all day, every day.

I'm not talking in terms of health... that's a given.

I'm speaking SOLELY on the issue of weight loss.... I know there has been substantial debate on whether or not it IS as simple as calories in vs. calories out or if the source makes an impact... which leads to me questioning one's insulin response....

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-15-2007, 07:43 PM
The source does matter, but the details are far too complicated to discuss...and if your protein is low on a cut, you can kiss your muscles good bye. Be that as it may, people do tend to overcomplicate things when it comes to gaining or losing.

BBB
11-16-2007, 06:16 AM
I undereat during the daytime so I can overeat at night. I always have a bedtime meal, ESPECIALLY while cutting. It helps me diet when I know I get to go to bed fed.

For me, it's usually cottage cheese with some fruit and maybe a few walnuts or other raw nuts.

I'm with her.

growthrep
11-16-2007, 11:26 AM
I not only eat before bed but I take in some lean protein when I wake up at night to tinkle. Keep your body in an anabolic state. EAT!

Howard 9
11-17-2007, 12:29 PM
When I was cutting I like to mix a scoop of nitrean, with 32g PB, and 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese. Its got everything in it you need before bed.

Bikkstah
11-18-2007, 12:52 AM
I eat 4TBSPs of PB on 2 slices of low-carb brownberry bread before bed. Makes me feel good that no matter what happens, I'm gonna get a PB sandwich before bed every night.

Tree1
11-20-2007, 06:41 AM
i agree with built

& i'm pretty sure eating junk/bs food for calories won't do you any good

Is it bad to eat Celery if your bulking, it like eats away your calories?????
celery+peanut butter? lol