PDA

View Full Version : Slow bulk question

Jess21
11-14-2007, 09:39 AM
This is my first bulk, and when I started, I weighed about 215-220lbs. Now, 4-5 weeks later I weight 230lbs. I have made some good weightlifting gains, and noticeable muscle, but I am starting to get a gut. I want to slow the bulk down a bit. I know I have to cut some calories, but I am not sure how many calories I need a day. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I estimate currently that I get around 5000 calories a day. Probably more on lifting days.

Another Edit: My current Diet looks like this

1st Meal: 4 slices of wheat bread, 21g carbs per slice, 120 calories per slice
About 50g of protein from chicken, pork, eggs, etc.
1 can of spinach, just like Popeye
4 tbl spoons of natural peanut butter on the bread

2nd meal: 4 slices of wheat bread
40g protein shake

3rd: Same as first

4th: same as second

5th: Same as first

6th: Same as second

About the same thing, except on training days I take 2 scoops of weight gainer, and one scoop of protein. Definitely a good diet for gaining muscle so far, but also a good way to add some fat!

brihead301
11-14-2007, 10:10 AM
I'd say that you need some more variety in your diet. Also, if you're trying to slow bulk, I'd say cut down the calories to about 4000 and take it from there. 5000 calories may be considered well above your maintainence assuming you're not extremely active (gym 3 - 4 days a week, and not much other physical activity during the day). But 5000 will most definately make you gain faster then 4000 would.

Jess21
11-14-2007, 10:14 AM
I'll try to work on the variety, gotta find affordable food because I'm doing the school thing. Now if I cut back to 4000 calories, does it mean that I will gain the same amount of muscle and fat at a slower pace? Lol sorry I'm a newb. Thanks for the information.

RhodeHouse
11-14-2007, 10:32 AM
When you gain weight, everything gets bigger, including your gut. I'm sure you've heard of "spot reduction". It was big in the 80's and 90's. It was the theory that you could target certain areas of the body and reduce BF in those areas. Well, it doesn't work like that. Now, on the flip side, why do people think they can gain weight, but only in certain areas?

Moral of the story - if you want to get big, get used to your belly being a little bigger than you like it. It's part of the game.

As a side rant, when I was a kid, thoughts of my belly getting too big never crossed my mind. I knew that I wanted to be jacked and accepted the fact that everything got bigger, except my wee-wee. How times have changed. Damn those queer eye for the straight guy folks. Ruining our youth with dilusions of flat stomachs being acceptable. Blasphemers

Lones Green
11-16-2007, 09:01 PM
When you gain weight, everything gets bigger, including your gut. I'm sure you've heard of "spot reduction". It was big in the 80's and 90's. It was the theory that you could target certain areas of the body and reduce BF in those areas. Well, it doesn't work like that. Now, on the flip side, why do people think they can gain weight, but only in certain areas?

Moral of the story - if you want to get big, get used to your belly being a little bigger than you like it. It's part of the game.

As a side rant, when I was a kid, thoughts of my belly getting too big never crossed my mind. I knew that I wanted to be jacked and accepted the fact that everything got bigger, except my wee-wee. How times have changed. Damn those queer eye for the straight guy folks. Ruining our youth with dilusions of flat stomachs being acceptable. Blasphemers

little late, but you just earned yourself an updated place in my signature matt.