PDA

View Full Version : Clean and jerk workouts

cameronp81
11-15-2007, 07:57 PM
I coach high school weightlifting in Florida and I'm always looking for ideas on ways to change things up. Right now I'm looking for good clean and jerk workouts to improve over shorts periods of time. If anyone has any ideas or has any experience with one that you have tried yourself please share.

chinaz
11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
hey, can you plz go read my last blog/post thingy...? i was hoping you would know because your a coach and all..

Wish i could help you with the clean and jerk workouts, but i don't know much about that : /
sorry!

cameronp81
11-16-2007, 01:29 AM
I wouldn't mind at all going to read it but what category is it under

cameronp81
11-16-2007, 01:32 AM
I saw your post about being a high school powerlifter. What state are you from because I know alot of totals from Florida its bench and clean and jerk so it's a little different but at least you will have an idea on the bench part.

chinaz
11-16-2007, 04:54 AM
oh thanks for reading it : )

texas. ( wylie high school )

catsman72
11-18-2007, 08:03 PM
what school do you coach for? Im on the powerlifting team at jupiter high school.

cameronp81
11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
I coach at Interlachen high school. I know Jupiter traditionally has a good team, they are just like us unbeatable during the regular season but hardly ever make noise at state. I don't know how the powerlifting team is though. Don't worry too much about your bench when you start keying in on your weaknesses is when you plateau because you end up over working that area, so just let it come. How is your technique on bench? And how are your workouts for cleans at Jupiter?

deeder
11-18-2007, 10:56 PM
I coach at Interlachen high school. I know Jupiter traditionally has a good team, they are just like us unbeatable during the regular season but hardly ever make noise at state. I don't know how the powerlifting team is though. Don't worry too much about your bench when you start keying in on your weaknesses is when you plateau because you end up over working that area, so just let it come. How is your technique on bench? And how are your workouts for cleans at Jupiter?

I think that's pretty much the most counter-intuitive sentence I've read all day. :scratch:

vrizzle
11-19-2007, 11:57 AM
yo cameronp81, I just got 245 bench and 245 C+J today. I'm gonna be a 139 this year. How's it going?

EDIT: To the OP, the answer is umm... the clean and jerk.

catsman72
11-19-2007, 04:25 PM

last year are weight lifting team did pretty good had 7 kids go to states. took second place in 129 and therd place in 199. my bench technique is fine. but me being 6'3 I have really long arms.lol I my brother went to states last year he has a 365 pause press and 245 clean and jerk. I will get you are workout for clean&jerk. personally I dont use it now but I have and its a good workout. this season im shooting for a 275lbs clean&jerk and a 250lbs bench. I was at about 245lbs bench but I had to quit working out due to football.

cameronp81
11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Whats whats goin on vrizzle? I'm glad to see your numbers are on the rise, you might make some noise at state this year. How's is the rest of the team doing; are they going to comeback with a vengence this to take back the title? One thing I can guarantee is Palatka won't win again, although they do have their 119er that won last year he hasnt improved a whole lot though. We got hurt alot by football but we only had 2 seniors last year so I think we'll be alright. Hey do you mind kind of giving me a rough draft of your routine, sets and reps, on clean days at the Creek.

Catsman I remember seeing a couple of your guys up on the podium last year, good luck to ya'll again this year. Sure that would be great if you could send me your workout. As for your bench I know exactly what you mean with the long arms, I'm only 5'9 but I have really long arms for my size, it sucks. 275 shouldn't be a problem for you. you said you had already reached 245 and usually it doesnt take to long to regain that strength.

Deeder: sorry to confuse you would you like me put it in simpler terms? usually when people are trying to improve on a certain for example bench they do it more say 4 days a week instead of 3 also in my experience they try to do more exercises for that area. when you do this you dont give your muscles time to heal and you arent going anywhere with brokendown muscles. you arent going to go up every week anyway so just chnge up the routine and let you body do the work itself. is that any better?

deeder
11-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Deeder: sorry to confuse you would you like me put it in simpler terms? usually when people are trying to improve on a certain for example bench they do it more say 4 days a week instead of 3 also in my experience they try to do more exercises for that area. when you do this you dont give your muscles time to heal and you arent going anywhere with brokendown muscles. you arent going to go up every week anyway so just chnge up the routine and let you body do the work itself. is that any better?

There's no need to try to belittle me. Telling people that focusing on their weaknesses will lead to plateauing is ridiculous. Plain and simple.

Obviously benching 4 days a week isn't advisable but any routine should focus on bringing the lifter's weaknesses up to par. If you don't realize this your kids need a new coach.

cameronp81
11-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Dont belittle you...I'm pretty sure thats what you were trying to do in the first place. You obviously dont know what your talking about as far as weightlifting is concerned end of conversation.

catsman72
11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
hey cameronp81 and vrizzle good luck to you guys this year. we start lifting next week cameron im sorry but the soonest ill be able to get the workout to you is next week.

deeder
11-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Dont belittle you...I'm pretty sure thats what you were trying to do in the first place. You obviously dont know what your talking about as far as weightlifting is concerned end of conversation.

No, I was simply pointing out that your statement made absolutely no sense.

cameronp81
11-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks catsman thats no problem I can wait a week, good luck to you also.

JHarris
11-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Wow, why don't you tell us how you really feel about him?

Focusing on your weaknesses is actually important. I had an issue in the snatch catch at the very bottom so my coach had me work drop snatches literally every day of a 5 day cycle. Guess what - my issue went away.

He does know what he is talking about. Sure, your average high school athlete probably has the weakness of "lacks strength in general" or "lacks a good base" and therefore would likely benefit more from staying with a solid, well-rounded program. But if someone is failing their clean because they aren't executing a good triple extension, or they are failing their bench because their tricep strength is way down compared to the rest of their pressing muscles, I hope you would recognize that more work on those areas is necessary.

cameronp81
11-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Technique weaknesses are not all what I'm talking about. If one of my lifters has a technical problem with the clean or the jerk we work on it a little every day. What I'm talking about is bench plateaus or clean plateaus everyone gets them at one point or another and the secret is not to focus on it and over work it. Sure you can tell if his triceps or weak or if his chest explosion is poor but sometimes you can change up a persons workout all you want to no avail. So in these types of situations you just have to let your body overcome it naturally.

deeder
11-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Technique weaknesses are not all what I'm talking about. If one of my lifters has a technical problem with the clean or the jerk we work on it a little every day. What I'm talking about is bench plateaus or clean plateaus everyone gets them at one point or another and the secret is not to focus on it and over work it. Sure you can tell if his triceps or weak or if his chest explosion is poor but sometimes you can change up a persons workout all you want to no avail. So in these types of situations you just have to let your body overcome it naturally.

Wrong.. If you have a weak link your lift (whatever that may be) will not progress until you address that weak link.

cameronp81
11-22-2007, 09:46 PM
So in that case you must have never hit a plateau before. And you must bench about 1000lbs because everytime your progress slows you know exactly how to correct it. But I highly doubt that, here's an idea instead of constantly thinking you know everything and looking for mistakes on a puny little website forum go publish a book.

deeder
11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
So in that case you must have never hit a plateau before. And you must bench about 1000lbs because everytime your progress slows you know exactly how to correct it. But I highly doubt that, here's an idea instead of constantly thinking you know everything and looking for mistakes on a puny little website forum go publish a book.

No, I have hit plateaus and have addressed my weaknesses and blasted through them.

Do you really think elite lifters got where they are by just trying to work through a plateau or giving it time? No, of course not. They spent lots of time trying to figure out their weaknesses and they did everything they could do to turn them into strengths.

cameronp81
11-22-2007, 09:56 PM
You say they spend lots of time, so whats to say they dont spend the same amount of time working on a weakness as it would to push through it. I hate to tell you but everytime you hit a plateau doing a different exercise or changing up a routine of sets and reps isnt going to help you as you say blast through it. I deal alot with weightlifters both high school and olympic and through my experience sometimes its best to trudge on.

deeder
11-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok buddy... You just "trudge on" and I'll continue improving at a much greater rate.

markdk86
11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
This is becoming a e-penis thread now. Can a moderator close this?

cameronp81
11-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I'll do that and so will my weightlifters seeing as we havent lost a regular season dual meet since 1981. Good luck in whatever you do.

deeder
11-22-2007, 10:06 PM
This is becoming a e-penis thread now. Can a moderator close this?

How is it becoming an e-penis thread? It was a simple disagreement which given my last statement should come to an end...

Also, I really hate seeing "Can a moderator close this?". It's pathetic really... If you have a problem with the thread use the report function and have a moderator come look at it.

cameronp81
11-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Dont worry markdk its over, if people could give advice instead of trying to make people feel stupid it would have been over a long time ago.