PDA

View Full Version : The Bako shake

brihead301
11-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Is the olive oil necessary? It sounds like it may make it taste nasty. I was just wondering if I could add something else instead. The PB, ice cream, and protien combo sounds bangin though.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-16-2007, 12:17 PM
The olive oil doesn't make it nasty. I put a few tablespoons of olive oil in my shakes all the time. Why don't you just...ya know...I don't know...this might sound crazy...

TRY IT?

You can use anything you want. Nobody is holding you at gunpoint to use those specific ingredients.

Keith
11-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Lol I like how you title this as The Bako shake. This goes for any shake, dude. You will not be able to taste to olive oil at all, especially with the overpowering PB amount. Olive oil is very dense in calories and is recommended for that reason. If you want to bump up the cals in a shake, olive oil is one of the best ways to do that.

CleverName
11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
No matter how little or how much olive oil I put in a shake I can always taste it and it makes the shake taste nasty. I take the olive oil by tablespoon by itself. It doesn't taste bad when it's just olive oil; I guess I just don't like it mixed in with a protein shake.

And while we're on this subject, whenever I make a shake with peanut butter in it the peanut butter always separates... is there any way to prevent this?

Keith
11-16-2007, 01:02 PM
No matter how little or how much olive oil I put in a shake I can always taste it and it makes the shake taste nasty. I take the olive oil by tablespoon by itself. It doesn't taste bad when it's just olive oil; I guess I just don't like it mixed in with a protein shake.

And while we're on this subject, whenever I make a shake with peanut butter in it the peanut butter always separates... is there any way to prevent this?

Add more PB if the olive oil taste is too strong. I never seem to taste any olive oil and a dump a ton in (over 4 tbsp).

Why on earth would you not want the PB to seperate in your shake? You want it to be in chunks while you're drinking your shake??

Stumprrp
11-16-2007, 01:17 PM
personally, i put 2 tbps in a regular milk and choc protein shake, and i thought it gave it a very rich, tasty flavor.

brihead301
11-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Alright, I'll give it a shot. Olive oil just sounded nasty going in with all those good tasting things. Do you guys use extra virgin or regular?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-16-2007, 04:59 PM

And while we're on this subject, whenever I make a shake with peanut butter in it the peanut butter always separates... is there any way to prevent this?Maybe you have superhuman-like olive oil taste bud receptors because I can't taste it at all. Maybe it's the way I make my shakes...but my shakes just taste like a strawberry banana smoothie...and they've got about 2,000+ calories.

Do you guys use extra virgin or regular?Extra virgin, FTW!

Killa Kurt
11-16-2007, 05:03 PM
You won't taste the olive oil.

WORLD
11-16-2007, 05:11 PM
You will taste the olive oil if it's crap. Us Greeks, who's blood is basically made of olive oil, order it straight from the olive fields in Greece. We get it in like 100L cans; it's awesome lol...But I've put crap olive oil in my shake that was gross. Most you find in your grocery stores aren't that bad, though.

So get drinking.

Notorious
11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Put in a couple spoons of fish oil, it'll taste great.

CleverName
11-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Why on earth would you not want the PB to seperate in your shake? You want it to be in chunks while you're drinking your shake??

I meant that it separates after I mix it... it sinks to the bottom and settles. :(

I use extra virgin olive oil I get from Trader Joe's; imported from Italy... doesn't taste bad, but I can always taste it no matter what in shakes. :x Drinking it by itself is fine though.

espn2829
11-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Maybe you have superhuman-like olive oil taste bud receptors because I can't taste it at all. Maybe it's the way I make my shakes...but my shakes just taste like a strawberry banana smoothie...and they've got about 2,000+ calories.

Extra virgin, FTW!

Post your shake recipe, please. I would like a shake that tastes like a strawberry banana smoothie and packs in lots of calories and protein.

Detard
11-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I put olive oil in with my milk for extra calories. I dont even notice the flavour difference.

Bako Lifter
11-16-2007, 10:21 PM
I meant that it separates after I mix it... it sinks to the bottom and settles. :(

I use extra virgin olive oil I get from Trader Joe's; imported from Italy... doesn't taste bad, but I can always taste it no matter what in shakes. :x Drinking it by itself is fine though.

I keep a butter knife in my cup. Just stir it up before you take a drink.

I taste the olive oil too. I hardly ever put it in, but 1 tbsp isn't that bad.

OGROK
11-16-2007, 11:09 PM
I dunno man.. It just seems like, wouldn't that shake have a nearly 2:1 fat to protein ratio? That can't be good for body building.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-16-2007, 11:13 PM
I keep a butter knife in my cup. Just stir it up before you take a drink.

I taste the olive oil too. I hardly ever put it in, but 1 tbsp isn't that bad.I put 2-3 tablespoons and still can't taste it. =\

I dunno man.. It just seems like, wouldn't that shake have a nearly 2:1 fat to protein ratio? That can't be good for body building.That doesn't make any sense at all. Why wouldn't that be good?

BFGUITAR
11-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I make a standard shake of 2% milk, two scoops of protein powder, and some olive oil. I put in at least 2-3 tablespoons. And for the volume of milk thats quite a bit. The shake tastes different but not bad AT ALL.

Try using a shaker bottle and shaking it before each sip, that seems to help. As well using fatty milk can help the oil dissolve.

OGROK
11-16-2007, 11:32 PM
That doesn't make any sense at all. Why wouldn't that be good?

Because... It has more fat than protein? And AFAIK the big idea is to eat above maintenance keep a 40-30-30 protein-carb-fat ratio with 1 gram/protein per lb. Yeah, maybe there are other ways of doing it, but that seems like the basics.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-16-2007, 11:44 PM
And AFAIK the big idea is to eat above maintenance keep a 40-30-30 protein-carb-fat ratio with 1 gram/protein per lb.Where on earth did you hear that? Please toss that out the window. Ratios are garbage. Eat above maintenance...yes. What you just said doesn't even make sense. If you're following 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM, you are not following a ratio. Anyway...the guidelines are as follows ~>

1g protein per pound of LBM
.5 grams of fat per pound of LBM

The rest of your calories can come from either protein, carbs, or fat...in any amount...to meet your caloric needs. You can choose your macros depending what makes you feel the most comfortable. As for the fat, make sure at at 30% of your fat comes from Essential Fatty Acid sources (EFAs - aka mono- and poly- unsaturated fats), such as natty peanut butter, nuts & seeds, oils, avocados, fish oil, fatty fish, tuna, etc. The rest of your fat can come from saturated fat...which is an important nutrient for hormone regulation and testosterone production. Anyway...I'm rambling.

Post your shake recipe, please. I would like a shake that tastes like a strawberry banana smoothie and packs in lots of calories and protein.http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=82387

That's the lower calorie version of the shake I make at home.

OGROK
11-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Okay, so you are saying 1g protein/lb and 0.5g fat/lb. Well, since this shake gives you an entire days calories, let's see what you actually get:

Bako's Shake, made with Jiff Creamy Peanut Butter, Skim Milk, Edy's Vanilla Ice Cream and 2tblspoons of olive oil:

Total Fat: 171g
Total Protein: 96g
Total Carbs: 131.5g
Calories: 2353

Now, we are getting 0.85g fat/lb and slightly less than 0.50g protein/lb.

Assuming you weight 200lbs and are trying to build muscle, and with the basic formulas you gave me, thats about 70% more fat than you need and less than half as much protein as you need.

If I am somehow wrong, please let me know.

BTW, as a lazy bastard, I am interested in this kind of idea (one massive shake that replaces all your meals) but it seems like this particular shake has a gigantic amount of fat and not enough protein.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Did you not read what I just wrote? Try to reach 1g protein and .5 g of fat. I didn't say don't go above or below this amount. That doesn't make any sense since we all have varying caloric needs. Try to hit those and when you do, get the rest of your calories from whatever you want...be it protein, carbs, or fat. If you need to get 5000 calories in a day, you're going to be getting a hell of a lot more than 1 gram of protein per pound of lbm or .5 grams of fat per lbm. There's nothing wrong with that because you're trying to focus on consuming enough calories. It's irrelevant that it's 70% more fat than the guideline is...the point is you're trying to reach your calories. Those are guidelines to aim for to get at least that amount in your diet so your diet doesn't suck ass. Those are not how much you NEED AND DON'T GO OVER OR YOUR LEFT NIPPLE WILL TURN BLACK AND FALL OFF.

If I am somehow wrong, please let me know.You're looking at it wrong.

OGROK
11-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Alright, thanks for the response. I still think, for me this would be too much fat and not enough protein. Is there anyway to make it less fattening but still have around ~2500 calories? I was thinking I could take the oil out, which is adding a bunch of fat, and then add a huge amount of whey protein.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Do whatever you want. :) You don't have to follow his recipe to a T. Mix it up...do what you feel comfortable with.

Keith
11-17-2007, 09:22 AM
I still think, for me this would be too much fat and not enough protein.

Why?

BFGUITAR
11-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Alright, thanks for the response. I still think, for me this would be too much fat and not enough protein. Is there anyway to make it less fattening but still have around ~2500 calories? I was thinking I could take the oil out, which is adding a bunch of fat, and then add a huge amount of whey protein.

Your going to get your daily dose of protein from other sources. You still need calories to grow and this is what the shake gives you. This shake doesnt replace food for the day, it makes it easier to hit your quota which may be 3000,4000 calories. This 2500 calorie shake which can be sipped for time makes it easier to hit that number. The rest of your foods can still be protein dense and in the end it wont matter at all. Look at eating as a daily thing rather than every meal.

Heres a good way to look at it. Protein is what you need as building blocks to grow. You need energy to use those building blocks. If you are eating about 3000 calories a day and are 200 lbs, lets assume your eating 200 grams of protein. Thats 800 calories of protein per day. The rest of your 2200 calories can come from anywhere, be it fat or carbs (although fat is very important for many things in our body, the point of this is to prove how your ratio doesnt make sense). Now if you do the math, for every 1 calorie of protein, you need almost 3 calories of energy from some other source, fat or carbs. Thats a 1:3 ratio... so whats wrong with a 1:2 ratio? Now even if the shake is say a 1:5 or 1:6 ratio, that doesnt really matter because you will be eating more protein dense food throughout the day which will balance everything off.

Personally, I dont like thast much peanut butter in a shake. For me it doesnt take good. I would probably use 2-3 tablespoons for taste and add a scoop or two of protein powder.