PDA

View Full Version : Is getting up in the middle of the night beneficial or harmful to gaining muscle?

the_hall
03-11-2002, 04:16 PM
I usually wake up once a night and have some cottage cheese, just to make sure I have protien in my body (since I make sure to get it every 3 hrs during the day).

I was wondering if this is actually beneficial, or am I really wasting my time. Or, could it actually be negative. I read on another thread that it is better to get 9 straight hours of sleep rather than 7, plus a 2 hr nap. WOuld this apply here? Would it be harmful if I got up, therefore having two 4 hr rest periods during the night instead of a straight 8 hrs?

Thanks

syntekz
03-11-2002, 04:35 PM
I think I would rather get the sleep, as I don't get enough in the first place. If you feel that you are getting enough sleep than keep doing it. It isn't a bad thing.

Anthony
03-11-2002, 05:38 PM
IF you happen to wake up, you could eat something. Otherwise, just sleep and don't worry about it. Sleep will do more for you than that cottage cheese ever will.

Budiak
03-11-2002, 06:00 PM
Hey, military men get 4 hours a night, period, and thats without cottage cheese. Just train your body to do it, and you'll be fine.

Qea
03-11-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Budiak
Hey, military men get 4 hours a night, period, and thats without cottage cheese. Just train your body to do it, and you'll be fine.

When i was in the military, getting 4 hours of sleep was heaven-sent sometimes :(

but anyways, i think it's more important to get your rest. If you wake up, might as well eat. But I'd rather just sleep through the night.

the doc
03-11-2002, 08:28 PM
sometimes i chug milk whilst sleepwalking

CBates
03-11-2002, 08:38 PM
I usually wake up every night around 3-4am to pee, if I wake up I'll eat either some cottage cheese or turkey breast, but I don't intentionally wake up to eat, but if I wasn't up already, I wouldn't like set my alarm clock to wake up and eat.

BCC
03-11-2002, 08:41 PM
I set my alarm clock to get up and eat, during some phases when I'm getting 10 hours of sleep I will get up twice. It all depends on the person and what works for them.

tony touch
03-12-2002, 07:37 AM
if you're gaining lean mass and ur not too groggy in the morning don't worry about it, actually keep doin it. don't sacrifice too much sleep tho.:redface:

MRJ
03-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Any activity one might try to improve is only as good as the duration of which the activity can be continued. (2 hour workouts, 6 day workouts, supplements to no end, etc.)

Unless you can continue to w/u and eat for the remainder of your work-out life any benefit you may gain from this activity will be only temporary, uh ?

Personally, I eat a meal right before hitting the rack and call it good.

Par Deus
03-12-2002, 12:26 PM
If you can reliably go back to sleep, this works incredibly well, though you should have a real meal (like an MRP wit flax) not just some cottage cheese.

Budiak
03-12-2002, 07:45 PM
I get up at least once every night to take a massive leak.

When cutting, I take this as an opportunity to take my first dose of legal speed. It doesnt affect me before I go back to sleep, and its much easier to get up in the morning.

Of course, thats just when I have to workout first thing in the AM, I havent had to do that in a while.

Alex.V
03-13-2002, 11:51 AM
I eat before I go to bed. I sleep as much as I can. Then I eat again when I wake up. A good sized meal takes quite a few hours to digest... and the activity level is so low that the loss of any muscle is highly unlikely. If you're like me and you don't have the luxury of more than 7-8 hours of sleep a night, take them straight through, just eat more before bed.

Blood&Iron
03-13-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Belial
If you're like me and you don't have the luxury of more than 7-8 hours of sleep a night, take them straight through, just eat more before bed.
When the hell have you gotten 8? More like 5 or 6 hours if memory serves. Really, I don't understand how you can make progress. You must be some genetic freak or something. If I don't get at least 8 hours, I'm dead. Really 9 or 10 is much better.

Complete Muscle
03-13-2002, 12:26 PM
I've set the alarm to eat in the past, but this bulking phase I decided my sleep was more important. I haven't noticed a difference one way or the other. So I vote for sleep!

David
03-13-2002, 02:55 PM
Hey, fellas, whats up??

I drink like 2 gallons of water a day, so I always wake up at night to go pee....I dont even have a choice I dont set my alarm clock or nothing.....so anyways, after I am done going to the bathroom I drink 1 scoop of protein powder mixed with water and 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil and then i climb back into my rack.

Of course I also eat before going to sleep and first thing when I wake up.