PDA

View Full Version : Phenylalannine

mr. furious
03-11-2002, 04:50 PM
What is this? My protein bars contains this. What will this do if I continue to eat these bars?

Budiak
03-11-2002, 06:07 PM
Phennies! Phen is a stimulant/sweetener substance. Some people (raises hand) get big reactions to it, others are fine. Only stop eating it if it bothers you.

Remember phen phen? Its kinda related to that, but not exactly the same stuff. Thats why whenever a product contains it there is a warning on the label.

Blood&Iron
03-11-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Budiak
Phennies! Phen is a stimulant/sweetener substance. Some people (raises hand) get big reactions to it, others are fine. Only stop eating it if it bothers you.

Remember phen phen? Its kinda related to that, but not exactly the same stuff. Thats why whenever a product contains it there is a warning on the label.
No.

Phenylalanine is an amino acid present in just about every protein, and is essential to life. Aspartame/Nutrasweet is comprised of phenylalanine, methanol, and aspartic acid. Phenylketonurics--to whom the warnings on products containing aspartame are directed--cannot metabolize phenylalanine and are put on special diets, as otherwise their condition can lead to severe mental retardation.

Fen-phen is something else entirely.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-12-2002, 05:49 AM
There's a warning on labels about Phenyalanine cause people have decided it's carcinogenic.

Other than that i agree with B&I.

Cackerot69
03-12-2002, 08:51 AM
Phenalylanine is only dangeorus to a certain type of person, phenylketonurics like B&I said, C Diddy. Tis the only reason that warning is there.

Tis just an amino acid, an essential one, that also has some neat neuro-stimulating effects.