PDA

View Full Version : Natural Peanut butter

Asylum
11-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Okay, I'm a self-proclaimed Peanut Butter addict. I recently got turned onto Skippy Natural PB. It's not like your normal natty PB in that it doesn't come with all that oil in the top. It's the same consistency as regular PB and tastes TWICE as good. Just thought I'd share!

No, I won't share my Peanut Butter, only the info on this. Don't be silly.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I too love Skippy natty PB. :thumbup:

VikingWarlord
11-18-2007, 06:17 PM
I've got like 3 jars of the stuff in the cabinet. I noticed Skippy had put out chunky natural, but I can't find it in any store. I want to make peanut butter cookies with it this holiday season.

Asylum
11-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Yeah, the cruchy is hard as heck to find. If I find some I'll grab up a couple jars to send ya. That would be SUHWEEETTT in some cookies.

Jess21
11-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Skippy Natural peanut butter is the chit.

Mr. ?
11-20-2007, 12:30 PM
I’m not saying this to bring anyone down about their selection of PB but just thought I would share a point about some Natural peanut butters. Unless it contains ONLY peanuts (salt) it isn’t Natural. And I say that because I’m guessing the reason people here choose natural PB is because it’s healthier than normal PB. This is in part due to not containing Trans-fats from hydrogenated oils. Some “Natural” peanut butters though, including Skippy, have palm oil added to them which is very high in saturated fat and one of the worst vegetable oils that can be used in foods. They also have refined sugar added to them for sweetness. So these are not natural in the true sense. Everyone is probably aware of the labeling gimmicks companies use to get health conscience consumers to buy their stuff and this is one of them. Just because something says “Natural”, “Light”, “Low Fat”, etc. it doesn’t mean that it’s doing for you what you think it is. So be careful when selecting food products. Make sure it’s what you think it is. If for the "sake of health" is why you chose Natural over regular there are probably healthier choices out there. Of course anything is probably better than the regular.

You’re right though, I tried the Skippy and it does taste good. Almost too good. I tried it after I had been eating the Smuckers Natural PB for a while and when I tried the Skippy it was almost too sweet, I guess you just get use to certain tastes after a while.

Anyway just something to think about.

Excelsior
11-20-2007, 01:14 PM
I quickly became addicted to a brand called Naturally More. You still have to stir it upon opening. I've actually had to force myself to stop buying it as my consumption of it was getting out of hand. :D

mickyjune26
11-20-2007, 02:12 PM
What are the ingredients in Skippy's Natty?

VikingWarlord
11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
What are the ingredients in Skippy's Natty?

According to the label, peanuts, salt, palm oil, and sugar. Their website claims it's still natural because the ingredients undergo no real processing before they're creamed and put in the jar.

From their site: What type of palm oil is used in Skippy® Natural?
A: Skippy® Natural uses palm oil, that is extracted from the pulp of the palm fruit, then continues through several non-chemical processing steps. Skippy® Natural does not use palm kernel oil that is derived from the seed of the palm fruit and is extremely high in saturated fat.

Truthfully, while Mr. ? may be technically correct, the breakdown of Skippy when compared to any other natural PB I've found isn't that radically different.

Let's take a look at the Smucker's mentioned vs the Skippy.

Per serving, Smucker's has:

Calories 210
..Calories from Fat 150
Total Fat 16g
..Saturated Fat 2.5g
..Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 120mg
Total Carbohydrate 6g
..Dietary Fiber 2g
..Sugars 1g
Protein 8g

Skippy Natural has:

Calories 180
..Calories from Fat 140
Total Fat 16g
..Saturated Fat 3.5g
..Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 150mg
Total Carbohydrate 6g
..Dietary Fiber 2g
..Sugars 3g
Protein 7g

So the Skippy has 1g more Saturated fat per serving and 1g less protein, but has 30 fewer calories overall. Show me where any significant problems occur between the two of these.

mikey4402
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Okay, I'm a self-proclaimed Peanut Butter addict. I recently got turned onto Skippy Natural PB. It's not like your normal natty PB in that it doesn't come with all that oil in the top. It's the same consistency as regular PB and tastes TWICE as good. Just thought I'd share!

No, I won't share my Peanut Butter, only the info on this. Don't be silly.

Skippy natural PB isnt reall natural PB.

Also that has have oil on top unless there are other chemicals in it.

VikingWarlord
11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Skippy natural PB isnt reall natural PB.

Also that has have oil on top unless there are other chemicals in it.

Where is the official definition of what is natural? I can't find anything aside from what's on manufacturer websites or Wikipedia, which isn't exactly the most trustworthy source of anything.

Again, given my post above with the comparisons, why does this sort of pedantry actually matter?

Unreal
11-20-2007, 03:21 PM
The palm oil acts as an emulsifier and keeps the peanut oil from seperating. If it is natural palm oil and not partially hyrdogenated then it is still natural. Even normal PB has so little transfat in it you shouldn't worry unless your eating 1+ jar a day. I don't like normal stuff because it taste like plastic peanut paste.

Mr. ?
11-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Where is the official definition of what is natural?

I think the definition of "Natural", when it comes to PB, is pretty obvious. The nutritional information of most are simply peanuts (some have a little salt added). The claim to not have any additives (trans fats, added sugar, added oil). In other words no additional ingredients that are not already contained in the peanut itself.

why does this sort of pedantry actually matter?

You're right, it really may not matter at all. Will eating Natural PB add years to your life, NO but if someone is going to go to the trouble they obviously have a reason to. As I stated above I assume it's because people want to put healthier foods in their bodies. If that's the case then why do it only half way. If there is a better option out there that meets their requirements then why wouldn't they go with it. Based on the nutritional info you posted there is a difference of 1g of saturated fat per serving between the two brands, both of which claim to be natural. Some people eat the heck out of PB everyday. Someone eating 4 servings a day of the second brand which has an oil additive takes in 14g (72% DA) and the other brand 10g (51% DA) of saturated fat. That's a difference of only 4g. Doesn't sound like much does it? Well that 4g works out to be 21%, almost a quarter more of a persons daily allowance (without getting into individuals needs). That might be a big deal to a PB lover who is trying to keep their bad fat intake down. It's just an example. I only posted because some people buy a product thinking it's doing something for them but don't really take the time to look at the labels to see their may be something better out there. That's all :)

mickyjune26
11-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Either way, if i don't have to stir, I'm going to look for it.

hell, i'm on a bulk anyway.

VikingWarlord
11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
I think the definition of "Natural", when it comes to PB, is pretty obvious. The nutritional information of most are simply peanuts (some have a little salt added). The claim to not have any additives (trans fats, added sugar, added oil). In other words no additional ingredients that are not already contained in the peanut itself.

Since we're being so, as I said before, pedantic, "obvious" isn't good enough. To me, the word natural suggests that things have no artificial additives and undergo no unnecessary processing. The definition of the word natural means "from nature". That simple. If the ingredients aren't created in a lab and the label doesn't read like chemistry homework, it's a good bet it can safely be called natural.

You're right, it really may not matter at all. Will eating Natural PB add years to your life, NO but if someone is going to go to the trouble they obviously have a reason to. As I stated above I assume it's because people want to put healthier foods in their bodies. If that's the case then why do it only half way. If there is a better option out there that meets their requirements then why wouldn't they go with it.

And the one that you're defining as "more natural" also contains 30 more calories per serving than the one that you're calling "less natural".

Based on the nutritional info you posted there is a difference of 1g of saturated fat per serving between the two brands, both of which claim to be natural. Some people eat the heck out of PB everyday. Someone eating 4 servings a day of the second brand which has an oil additive takes in 14g (72% DA) and the other brand 10g (51% DA) of saturated fat. That's a difference of only 4g. Doesn't sound like much does it? Well that 4g works out to be 21%, almost a quarter more of a persons daily allowance (without getting into individuals needs).

You can't really say "without getting into individuals needs", since that's what we do here. RDA is based on an average sized male of 180 lbs living a predominantly sedentary lifestyle. Everyone's needs aren't the same, and that's not really a fact that can be brushed off.

Going by the guideline that researchers have suggested, 1/3 of your daily intake of fat can be saturated, and if your intake is the general guideline of .5g/lb LBM, that number can vary GREATLY. For me, going by that guideline, I can do about 33-35g of saturated fat per day That's high enough that I'm not really going to sweat an extra 4g. Most of the people here are going to be similar.

Also, if said theoretical person eats 4 servings of the Smucker's, they're also taking in an extra 120 calories over the Skippy.

That might be a big deal to a PB lover who is trying to keep their bad fat intake down. It's just an example. I only posted because some people buy a product thinking it's doing something for them but don't really take the time to look at the labels to see their may be something better out there. That's all :)

If people don't read the labels, it's their own damn fault. The conclusion I reached is that both of the products have their pros and cons, and the biggest pro of the Skippy is that it doesn't have the texture of mud with sand in it and I can tolerate eating it...and if I eat 4 servings a day, I'm saving myself 120 extra calories.

Ok, so maybe the conclusion is eat Smucker's on a bulk. ;)

Mr. ?
11-21-2007, 06:26 AM
VW. All of your points make perfect sense to me and can't be argued and I feel all the points I made were just as valid. Just to let you know my intent wasn't to make a pissing match of facts about PB. I simply was trying to shed some light on something that many may not have understood and as trivial as it may seem to some others may have derived some usefullness out of it. When it comes down to it I believe you stated my intent best when you said the following:

If people don't read the labels, it's their own damn fault. The conclusion I reached is that both of the products have their pros and cons...

People must read labels for any product to know what they are actually getting. Like you implied, weigh the pros and cons and then make a decision based on your needs. :hello:

Asylum
11-22-2007, 05:50 AM
I'm with you guys on this. Viking I'm 100% with you, people do need to read the labels. I just put this on here because I happen to be addicted to the Skippy brand of "Natural" Peanut Butter. I was tired of stirring in that oil that sat on top of the Smuckers and it really tasted just like salty peanuts that were liqeufied. I like the texture and the flavor of the Skippy better. You can bet I'm a label reader and wouldn't have even hazarded posting it on here if it had not rivaled so-called "REAL NATURAL" peanut butter. However, the other two ingredients in the Skippy PB are not refined so technically it can still fall under the Natural umbrella. Anyway, for anyone out there who doesn't like the Smuckers or other natural PB because of texture or taste (yes, there are weird people out there who don't eat stuff because of texture....) give the Skippy Natural PB a try. It's healthier for you than the non-Natural stuff but still has the same feel.

Viking Warlord, thanks for having my back. I'm gonna find some Crunchy Natty Skippy for you.