PDA

View Full Version : Arbys?

J-rockin
11-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Was at arbys the other night on my lunch and never really paid attention to it before but arby's isnt that bad for you is it?

It's just roast beef and bread, unless you get the chesse melts covered in cheese :idea:

or do they dip the roast beef into a deep fryer of some sort?

Scooter
11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
What's your definition of bad?

KingWilder
11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I just looked up the nutritional info for a medium sandwich

416 calories
20g fat (9g sat fat, 1g trans fat)
1379mg sodium
34g carbs (only 2g fiber, 5g sugar)
30g protein

the only thing that strikes me is the amount of sodium and possibly the trans fat, but it's only 1 gram and assuming you aren't going crazy that 1gram really doesn't mean anything

I wouldn't make it a habit to eat Arby's a lot, but every so often won't kill you (it has less calories than a double cheeseburger from McDonald's...and most people load up on those since they're 99 cents)

J-rockin
11-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Since you mentioned double cheese burgers lol, i was talking to one of the trainers at the gym and he said it's not for every body but when he was bulking he would pig out of mcdonalds everynight before bed so his body would burn the calories while he sleeps and it wouldn't take away from his calories he ate during the day

he said he only did it for a month, anyone else hear about this diet idea? he told me his body grew softer but his muscle was still there but under the fat ;)

KingWilder
11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
as a personal trainer I cringe when I hear others talk like that...he sounds like a complete moron

nothing he told you makes any sense...except for the part about his muscle growing softer...um yeah, because he turned into a fatass

if he actually said "I ate it before bed so my body would burn the calories while I slept and it wouldn't take away from the calories I ate during the day"...wtf does that even mean...maybe I'm not interpreting it correctly, but it makes no sense to me

drew
11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Arby's is delicious.

J-rockin
11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
lol those werent THE EXACT words he said but he explained how when u sleep your body still burns calories and fat, and in order to keep his calories up, he would in his words "buy around 10 bucks of mcdonalds a night and pig out before bed"

so he could keep a progression of muscle of weight gain

yea it sounded alittle funny to me also, but the guy is a good size and cut like a monster so i fell into it

RhodeHouse
11-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Whoever is the personal trainer, so am I. One of the greatest ways to gain weight is to eat crappy food. The muscle doesn't get soft. You put on some fat. But, anyone that knows anything about gaining muscle, knows that you HAVE to gain fat to gain muscle. It's science, for all you science guys. For those of you that don't care about science, some bad food makes the process easier and more effective.

Indifference
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I wonder if those are the nutritional values for the ones you can get 5 for $5.95..

damn I eat all 5 too...

AWESOME

mikey4402
11-19-2007, 01:38 PM
On a bulk? Im thinking arbys!

Anyone remember Rax? or know where there are any left?!

Holto
11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Whoever is the personal trainer, so am I. One of the greatest ways to gain weight is to eat crappy food. The muscle doesn't get soft. You put on some fat. But, anyone that knows anything about gaining muscle, knows that you HAVE to gain fat to gain muscle. It's science, for all you science guys. For those of you that don't care about science, some bad food makes the process easier and more effective.

Please, tell us the science behind your claim.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Whoever is the personal trainer, so am I. One of the greatest ways to gain weight is to eat crappy food. The muscle doesn't get soft. You put on some fat. But, anyone that knows anything about gaining muscle, knows that you HAVE to gain fat to gain muscle. It's science, for all you science guys. For those of you that don't care about science, some bad food makes the process easier and more effective.Your posts are going quickly downhill.

RhodeHouse
11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Please, tell us the science behind your claim.

No. Do we really have to go thru all this again? Why don't you try it instead of knocking it? Or, just continue to stay the same and make minimal progress. I'm tired of you,

RhodeHouse
11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Your posts are going quickly downhill.

That means a lot coming from you. You sure told me.

Slim Schaedle
11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
One of the greatest ways to gain weight is to eat crappy food.

You are absolutely right.

One of the greatest ways is to do that.

Another is to eat the same amount of calories you would get from that fast food but use "healthy" foods.

This is actually one of the best ways to gain weight as well. However, it is actually better than crappy food.

:moon:

RhodeHouse
11-20-2007, 01:01 PM
You are absolutely right.

One of the greatest ways is to do that.

Another is to eat the same amount of calories you would get from that fast food but use "healthy" foods.

This is actually one of the best ways to gain weight as well. However, it is actually better than crappy food.

:moon:

I agree, however, if you're a big guy, and have to really pack in the calories, it's not always possible to eat the same amount of calories in clean food. If you're a little guy, it's easy to eat 3,000 calories. I guess I'm just from the old school, get it done mentality. I like results. 10lbs in a month is unacceptable in my eyes. That's just me.

mikey4402
11-20-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree, however, if you're a big guy, and have to really pack in the calories, it's not always possible to eat the same amount of calories in clean food. If you're a little guy, it's easy to eat 3,000 calories. I guess I'm just from the old school, get it done mentality. I like results. 10lbs in a month is unacceptable in my eyes. That's just me.

i agree with you 100% Rodehouse. When im on a bulk i eat alot of stuff i wouldnt touch while im on a cut. Eatting large pizzas, Macdonalds, Mozz sticks, Beer beer beer. I dont eat just drunk food, because i think it would effect my energy levels and mood, if i ate only from the dollar menu for breakfest lunch and dinner.

It might be easy to eat 3,000 calories cleanly when your 160lbs, but when you have to eat say 6,000 or 7,000 or 10,000 calories a day its much easier to eat crappy food.

I read where jay cuttler will eat two large pizzas in a sitting while on a bulk.

mikey4402
11-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Your posts are going quickly downhill.*the following rant is not in response to anyone in particular, its just in general.

there is nothing wrong with his claims. He told you from personal experince what works for him and what could work for others. Sure using crappy foods to help get extra calories in durning the day, might not be the healthest thing to do but neither is using anabolics or antiperspirant but hey they get the job done.

Everyone seems to be very one way on these forums as of late. Its either you follow the wbb way or your not welcome here anymore. How about istead being quick to post 'use the search buttion you hippie' or dishing out personal attacks, why dont you explain why you disagree with the OP.

You dont see any discussions on black vs white anymore. Seems like people are more single minded nowadays. Also whats wrong with somone posting a question about creatine. As long as there isnt an identical question right below, why dont we actualy answer some questions and hand out open advice.

Someone posted a thread in here about what routine do you use, so he could get an consenus of the most popular regimens amoung the comunity, and guess what he was shot down. He was told to just search through 1,000s of online journals to find your answer. :swear:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-20-2007, 05:41 PM
there is nothing wrong with his claims. He told you from personal experince what works for him and what could work for others. That's not what he does. He takes what works for him and then generalizes it while simultaneously casting out everyone else's experiences of what worked for them claiming that his way is the best and that everything else sucks ass and that everyone should bow down to him because he's a big, strong guy of sorts so if you don't listen to him you're somehow considered an idiot, despite the fact that not everyone responds the same to diet/training/whatever which is why the optimal way of going about things is to try a few different methods to see what works best.

That means a lot coming from you. You sure told me.Oh my gosh, I want to be just like you. <3 Sign me up for the Rhodehouse fan club.

J-rockin
11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
That's not what he does. He takes what works for him and then generalizes it while simultaneously casting out everyone else's experiences of what worked for them claiming that his way is the best and that everything else sucks ass and that everyone should bow down to him because he's a big, strong guy of sorts so if you don't listen to him you're somehow considered an idiot, despite the fact that not everyone responds the same to diet/training/whatever which is why the optimal way of going about things is to try a few different methods to see what works best.

Like the way when you told me by routine sucked when i had posted a simliar routine i used eight weeks before hand and had good result.. dik

KingWilder
11-20-2007, 07:20 PM
e-fight!!!

this entire thread went downhill very fast...

CrazyK
11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
That's not what he does. He takes what works for him and then generalizes it while simultaneously casting out everyone else's experiences of what worked for them claiming that his way is the best and that everything else sucks ass and that everyone should bow down to him because he's a big, strong guy of sorts so if you don't listen to him you're somehow considered an idiot, despite the fact that not everyone responds the same to diet/training/whatever which is why the optimal way of going about things is to try a few different methods to see what works best.

Oh my gosh, I want to be just like you. <3 Sign me up for the Rhodehouse fan club.
I've watched you post over my time here on WBB and you seem to get more aggressive and insulting all the time. If you don't want to answer a question then just don't write a reply. If you disagree with someone there's no need to hand out a sarcastic remark. Relax. This is the internet.

HahnB
11-20-2007, 08:22 PM
What works for Rhodehouse is irrelevant for about 99% of the population of this website. Most of us care about our health, and most of us aren't 290lbs and still trying to gain weight. Therefore, him giving advice that would work for him and applying that to everyone is incredibly stupid.

Cirino83
11-20-2007, 08:28 PM
What works for Rhodehouse is irrelevant for about 99% of the population of this website. Most of us care about our health, and most of us aren't 290lbs and still trying to gain weight. Therefore, him giving advice that would work for him and applying that to everyone is incredibly stupid.

Bingo. Sure his advice of "eat everything all day and gain 100lbs" will work for the most part, but are there better healthier ways to gain weight? sure. Does everyone want or have similar goals to him, no.

HahnB
11-20-2007, 08:38 PM
If the person was 290lbs and asked how to put on 20lbs- his advice might be right on, but for most of the guys that he gives advice to, they aren't in that situation. That's the problem most people have with his advice.

mikey4402
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM

i can agree with that

RhodeHouse
11-20-2007, 09:45 PM
HahnB and Scarz - you 2 always have something witty and clever to say about my advice. Since you guys are so smart and so good at whatever it is that you do, why don't you tell us all how great you are at what you guys do. Do you compete in bodybuilding/fitness? What is it exactly that you have done in your sport or lifting endevours? I'm just wondering where you're incredible expertise comes from. I've done something. Who are you guys? I need some real-world evidence that you have done something - ANYTHING that gives you licence to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. Please infom me, oh wise ones.

HahnB
11-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Would you tell a 60 year old person 5 years away from retirement to invest their money in the same manner as a 25 year old person?

Would you tell a person that weighs 160lbs and wants to minimize fat gain but gain weight to eat 6000 calories of absolute crap on a daily basis? Apparently you would...

One size doesn't fit all, it doesn't take a pro power lifter or body builder to understand that. It applies to just about every "advice giving" situation in the world. I'm still amazed you can't grasp this concept.

CrazyK
11-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Would you tell a 60 year old person 5 years away from retirement to invest their money in the same manner as a 25 year old person?

Would you tell a person that weighs 160lbs and wants to minimize fat gain but gain weight to eat 6000 calories of absolute crap on a daily basis? Apparently you would...

One size doesn't fit all, it doesn't take a pro power lifter or body builder to understand that. It applies to just about every "advice giving" situation in the world. I'm still amazed you can't grasp this concept.Rhodes did comment that the little guys can and should eat a healthier diet when trying to gain weight as they're calorie requirements aren't too high. However he is advocating eating cheat meals if you're having trouble getting in over 5k cals as that's what some need to put on the pounds.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 12:18 AM

One size doesn't fit all, it doesn't take a pro power lifter or body builder to understand that. It applies to just about every "advice giving" situation in the world. I'm still amazed you can't grasp this concept.

You always have something negative to say to me. Your life must suck, dude. I'm sorry. You seem to read whatever you want when it comes to my posts. We've had problems before, yet you still continue to be a little bitch. You know what I'm gonna say, so stay out of the thread.

I have yet to see your incredible accomlishments. Do you have a website that we can all look at to see if you know what you're talking about? You are an expert, after all. Let's see how great you look. Let's see all of your knowledge put to the test. Who are you? What have you done that gives you any credit when it comes to giving out your incredible advice. You can find me on EliteFTS.com. You can google my name and find videos and pictures of me. Where are you? Who are you? Nobody. Small fish in a small pond.

mikey4402
11-21-2007, 12:59 AM
You always have something negative to say to me. Your life must suck, dude. I'm sorry. You seem to read whatever you want when it comes to my posts. We've had problems before, yet you still continue to be a little bitch. You know what I'm gonna say, so stay out of the thread.

I have yet to see your incredible accomlishments. Do you have a website that we can all look at to see if you know what you're talking about? You are an expert, after all. Let's see how great you look. Let's see all of your knowledge put to the test. Who are you? What have you done that gives you any credit when it comes to giving out your incredible advice. You can find me on EliteFTS.com. You can google my name and find videos and pictures of me. Where are you? Who are you? Nobody. Small fish in a small pond.

:bang:
sorry scarz, i see what you mean now

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-21-2007, 01:05 AM
The thing is, I don't really have anything against you, Rhodehouse. I just think you have a bit of an overinflated ego at times (at times meaning whenever you're awake). I'm sure this stems from your amazing accomplishments (no, that wasn't sarcasm, you have accomplished amazing feats of strength that many others dream of). I think we all have our heads up our asses at one time or another. You, on the other hand, will never actually step up off your pedestal for even a moment...which doesn't really matter since you don't care anyway. Just don't act surprised by the way people react toward your blunt posts.

sorry scarz, i see what you mean nowYeah, he thinks he's better than anyone that...well...breathes air.

As for me, I'm just used to being a smart ass too much. But those who know me better know that I don't mean anything bad even when I'm being an ass. I just come off as brash and sarcastic. My bad.

Chubrock
11-21-2007, 06:01 AM
So what part of Rhode's advice is everybody disagreeing with?

You gain fat on a bulk....check

You can eat some cheat meals and still get where you're going in a less stressful but still effective manner....check

I'm not seeing where any bad advice was given.

Seems a lot of people don't like Rhodes and start looking at his comments trying to nitpick **** that's not there. And you wonder why the majority of the most knowledgable members on the forum post very rarely, or not at all...

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Mikey and Scarz - you don't get it. You make your little posts about how my head is up my ass. How I insult people. Scarz, all you do is insult me and put down my advice. You can look on the net and find me. Who are you guys? My point is, I've earned the right to give credible advice. You have done nothing. I'm not on any pedestal. I know what I'm talking about from real-world experience. I've been doing it for 15 years. Since you guys know everything, you should be as accomplished as I am. Professionally and personally.

Again, who are you guys? What have you done? Where are your credetials to tell me that I'm wrong? Where are you pictures to prove you have good advice? I see you keep avoiding this point. What have you done?

I'm sure you'll come back telling me how arrogant and stupid I am. But, you'll avoid the question. What have you done? Show us.

brihead301
11-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Arby's is friggin great. Man, does Arby's bring back some memories. First off, it's the only fast food place in my area that you are allowed to smoke in, unfortunately I quit over a year ago, but the memories are still there. Then a nice big fat RB and cheddar with curly fries and horsey sauce, washed down with a nice moutain dewber and a cig. mmmmmmmm.....Arby's.

Cirino83
11-21-2007, 08:32 AM
The only Arby's near me, is in Worcester, over an hour and a half away. Been there once about 6 years ago, and thought it was the most disgusting thing I've eaten. The RB was like slabs right off a rotten cow carcus. The place is probably closed by now though. Hopefully they got better or maybe I just had an off-day there. I prefer Kelly's Roast Beef.

http://www.kellysroastbeef.com/main.html

link provided so no wrong intentions were taken.

HahnB
11-21-2007, 08:45 AM

As you can see, I've already answered your post, which is just like all of your other posts-redundant. Oh, and I think you meant to say small fish in a big pond.

So what part of Rhode's advice is everybody disagreeing with?

You can eat some cheat meals and still get where you're going in a less stressful but still effective manner....check

One of the greatest ways to gain weight is to eat crappy food.

Come on chub, you're just putting words in his mouth now. He never said a few cheat meals here and there are ok, otherwise I would have agreed. He said one of the greatest ways to gain weight is to eat crappy food. He didn't say "once in a while", it's obvious from his post what he means.

I also have nothing against Rhodes personally, mainly because I've never even met him. I just think his advice is geared more towards people like him and he forgets that a lot.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 08:51 AM
As you can see, I've already answered your post, which is just like all of your other posts-redundant. Oh, and I think you meant to say small fish in a big pond.

Come on chub, you're just putting words in his mouth now. He never said a few cheat meals here and there are ok, otherwise I would have agreed. He said one of the greatest ways to gain weight is to eat crappy food. He didn't say "once in a while", it's obvious from his post what he means.

No, I meant small fish in a small pond. I am familiar with the phrase. It's actually more of an insult that small fish in a big pond.

As for what I meant, please look back and tell me where I said to eat bad food all the time. I have always said that 1 bad meal a day will not kill you. You just don't like my posts. As for redundent, all you do is say the same **** to me every time. Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

C.Pop
11-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I think that Rhodes put out some basic info that no one wants to hear. You have to eat like a jackleg to get big. Healthy, unhealthy, you have to eat. Read JM Blakely's articles. He got big.

I graduated from college at 167. I am now 275. I didn't eat healthy foods, I ate period. All the time.

Arby's is fine. If you start getting too fat, clean up the diet. Don't over complicate it. You will gain some fat as you get bigger, or you'll get bigger at a very slow pace.

None of this is groundbreaking.

Holto
11-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Do you compete in bodybuilding/fitness?

What gives you the right to ask this?

You don't compete in bodybuilding and you've never posted a pic.

What is it exactly that you have done in your sport or lifting endevours?

He has developed a physique that many people here aspire to. He looks incredible. You've never posted a pic. We know you're a hoss.

I need some real-world evidence that you have done something - ANYTHING that gives you licence to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. Please infom me, oh wise ones.

You don't know what you are talking about because YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. Your too stupid and lazy to read.

You haven't explained any science behind anything, because you can't, all you can do is tell us what you did.

I am now 275.

Have you achieved your goal physique?

Would you have to diet to do so?

How many months of dieting would it take for you to have abs?

C.Pop
11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Have you achieved your goal physique?

Would you have to diet to do so?

How many months of dieting would it take for you to have abs?

1: Sure

2: Not really. Just clean it up slowly. It's not hard for me to lose weight.

3: 2-3 tops.

Not sure what you're getting at.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 11:00 AM
You don't know what you are talking about because YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. Your too stupid and lazy to read.

You haven't explained any science behind anything, because you can't, all you can do is tell us what you did.

Now I'm stupid? I can't read? I guess my stupid ass has no clue because I don't waste my time reading. I spend my time doing. Take that page from my book. I pose the same question to you, as to the other nobodies that say I'm stupid. Who are you? What have you done?

I'm sure you'll come back with a useless comment and nothing to answer my question. Check me out on EliteFTS and tell me how little I know. I guess hey just have run of the mill guys on there that don't know anything.

When you've accomplished a fraction of what I have done, you can talk to me. Until then you are a piece of trash on the bottom of my shoe.

Holto
11-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Now I'm stupid? I can't read?

Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed since you don't know anything about the body or how it functions that you don't read. My mistake.

I'm an RNC and I do nutritional therapy, I've helped quite a few people gain and lose weight to suit their goals.

Your working for $8/hr in some gym as a trainer. Why aren't you a strength coach for a pro-football team?

ray34iyf
11-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Get this Rhodehouse A-hole out of here. WBB doesn't need to be brought down with arrogant, know-it-all people like this. I am(and I'm sure everyone else here) sick of reading posts like that. ^^^^
Seriously, stop acting like you're better than everyone else here.

Holto
11-21-2007, 11:28 AM

So the way you look at 275 is your goal physique? (confirming)

What is your bf %?

2: Not really. Just clean it up slowly. It's not hard for me to lose weight.

3: 2-3 tops.

Not sure what you're getting at.

So you could lose about 15-20lbs and have abs?

What I'm getting at is that if you bulk with no concern for how much fat you put on, you're creating months of dieting which sucks. It's a stupid and wasteful means of bulking because it doesn't result in more muscle added, just more cutting afterwards.

Chubrock
11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Get this Rhodehouse A-hole out of here. WBB doesn't need to be brought down with arrogant, know-it-all people like this. I am(and I'm sure everyone else here) sick of reading posts like that. ^^^^

Who are you to call for the lynching of people? You're wrong about everyone else wanting him gone. The funny thing is, the strongest, most experienced people agree with Rhode's advice while the people bitching have been training for half as long.

Like I said earlier, this **** is why WBB is running into the ground. The most experienced posters have to put up with all this dumb stuff from people who haven't been there yet.

Chubrock
11-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Your working for $8/hr in some gym as a trainer. Why aren't you a strength coach for a pro-football team?

If you're going to bash Rhodes for being "inferior", at least learn how to spell correctly.

ray34iyf
11-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh God. At the very least, we could do without the constant condescending nature of his posts. ***** like that does nothing but start bickering and negativity.

Chubrock
11-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Ya'll have been putting words in his mouth for the majority of this thread. Contrary to popular belief, he never said eat ****ty 100% of the time.

C.Pop
11-21-2007, 11:44 AM
So the way you look at 275 is your goal physique? (confirming)

What is your bf %?

So you could lose about 15-20lbs and have abs?

What I'm getting at is that if you bulk with no concern for how much fat you put on, you're creating months of dieting which sucks. It's a stupid and wasteful means of bulking because it doesn't result in more muscle added, just more cutting afterwards.

Yes but I did not bulk with no concern to how much fat I put on. I did pay attention. When I found that I was getting too fat, I cleaned it up for a while. It isn't complicated. To gain the size I had to eat, and eat a lot. The only time I ever ate with complete reckless abandon was 2 weeks before a contest when I needed to just gain weight.

My bodyfat is irrelevant because I'm not a bodybuilder. I did recently get it checked via caliper though, and ended up at about 17%, a little under. Losing 20lbs, if done right, would probably give me abs.

A lot of the people here have accomplished far too little to be talking as much as they are. You may not like what Rhodes has to say, but most of the time he's right.

Cirino83
11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
When you've accomplished a fraction of what I have done, you can talk to me. Until then you are a piece of trash on the bottom of my shoe.

LOL! :whazzup:

I find his posts quite comical. As far as his advice, sure it works. If you want to get to 300 lbs then take it and eat all day everyday. If everyone doesn't have the same goals and aspirations as him, well then his advice will not be accurate.

drew
11-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Oh God. At the very least, we could do without the constant condescending nature of his posts.

Out of everyone in this thread, I've put up with more abuse from Matt Rhodes than anyone. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It's his style of coaching. If you don't like what he has to say, then don't listen. It's very simple. If he tells me to do something, I do it. I don't ask him why, I don't ask him for science, I just do it. What has it gotten me? A bench that wasn't moving went from 275 to 405 in 8 months, and will be close to 500 very soon. My fear of getting fat from gaining weight turned to knowing that I can put on 30lbs eating whatever I could get my hands on while training hard and heavy and I would not gain a ton of fat. If I ask a question, it isn't "how can I get stronger?" because I KNOW the answer is as simple as the question. Gain weight, lift heavy.

You guys complain about what he has to say, that's fine, but you're putting someone down that has earned the right to give his advice and has earned the right to be respected. If I've ever met someone that makes no excuses, it's Matt. I'm not just saying this because I'm his training partner. I have training partners that I would never ask for advice. Matt is one of a small handfull of people that I will always listen to. Bitching about his methods will get him to stop posting here, which is bad for everyone. Let's all gang up and get rid of an elite powerlifter because we don't want to hear what he has to say. That'll teach him. And the rest of us lose out because so many of you guys are too concerned with the minutia of training science and all he's saying is, keep it simple, get stronger, when you get to be really strong and really big, then start thinking about the little things.

Edit: Arby's is really friggin delicious.

HahnB
11-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Nobody disagrees with what you said, but his advice isn't applicable to everyone, in fact, it isn't applicable to the majority of people.

How many people come onto this forum and say "Hey guys, I want to gain as much weight as possible as fast as possible and I don't care about fat gain, or my general health"- Hardly any. If someone has a goal to reach 250 or 300lbs, then his advice might be the best out there, but that isn't the case most of the time. I don't see how stating this is "attacking" him.

For a lot of the people on here, they don't care about how much they can bench, they care about how they look. If my goal was strictly to bench 400lbs, I would just gain as much weight as possible, but that isn't my goal-and it's not the goal of most posters on here from what I've seen. Most of the guys, especially newcomers, what to gain weight, be lean, look good and stay healthy. Telling these people to eat "crap" as the foundation of their diet is not smart.

My only beef is that Rhodes, or anyone else, should give the right advice for the right person. His method of gaining weight is not the best for everyone, how can any level headed person argue with that?

Holto
11-21-2007, 12:38 PM
His method of gaining weight is not the best for everyone, how can any level headed person argue with that?

I guess they don't realize this is a bodybuilding site.

Holto
11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
My bodyfat is irrelevant because I'm not a bodybuilder. I did recently get it checked via caliper though, and ended up at about 17%

Thats why I specifically asked if you had attained your physique goal.

So you're saying that your goal was to be 17% bodyfat.

If you said, I'm not a bodybuilder, I don't have physique goals, thats totally cool. I think powerlifting is awesome, love watching clips of those dudes.

I just think they look like garbage and are about to explode due to hypertension.

drew
11-21-2007, 12:46 PM

It's not JUST a body building site. There is an extremely active powerlifting/athlete community here as well. And the last I checked, ALN sponsors 2 BBers and 13 PLers, 1 PL team (Westside Barbell) 3 athletes, and 1 MMA team.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Mikey and Scarz - you don't get it. You make your little posts about how my head is up my ass. How I insult people. Scarz, all you do is insult me and put down my advice. You can look on the net and find me. Who are you guys? My point is, I've earned the right to give credible advice. You have done nothing. I'm not on any pedestal. I know what I'm talking about from real-world experience. I've been doing it for 15 years. Since you guys know everything, you should be as accomplished as I am. Professionally and personally.

Again, who are you guys? What have you done? Where are your credetials to tell me that I'm wrong? Where are you pictures to prove you have good advice? I see you keep avoiding this point. What have you done?

I'm sure you'll come back telling me how arrogant and stupid I am. But, you'll avoid the question. What have you done? Show us.http://i4.tinypic.com/8ehkvoo.jpg

I never said you were wrong...which is what your ego seems to be fixated on. I said your one-size-fits-all advice doesn't work that way. Then you pull out your online peen and start comparing yourself to others, which is what you always do. OMG! I'm so cool! I'm better den youz cuz I gotsz t3h name on muh websitez!! Look at muh vidz of m3 doin' t3h stuffz wiff t3h weightz!11 LOlololo! I give d3h best adv1c3 cuz I am on t3h interw3bZz!!1

C.Pop
11-21-2007, 01:06 PM
So you're saying that your goal was to be 17% bodyfat.

No, I never said that. The 17% was within the acceptable range for me to reach my other goals, which were important to me. I knew I'd have to give up abs to get big, but that I could get them back if it became important to me. It was important for me to get big, and move some weight. I figured that as long as I didn't get sloppy, I'd be alright. There were times I did get too fat, but I just reigned it in and tightened up. It's really not complicated.

Bottom line is this: if you're trying to gain weight, eat more. If you're eating all the clean foods you can, and not gaining as fast as you want (and it's reasonable) then add some junk food in because it's calorically dense and works well.

mikey4402
11-21-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm sure you'll come back telling me how arrogant and stupid I am. But, you'll avoid the question. What have you done? Show us.
Why are you insulting me now? I was the one that agreed with your statement about crappy foods.

My last post is in regards to you getting offensive and calling everyone bitches who dont agree with you.

You sir, are being an ass! hee haw

mikey4402
11-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Like I said earlier, this **** is why WBB is running into the ground. The most experienced posters have to put up with all this dumb stuff from people who haven't been there yet.

I never have agreed with someone so much.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed since you don't know anything about the body or how it functions that you don't read. My mistake.

I'm an RNC and I do nutritional therapy, I've helped quite a few people gain and lose weight to suit their goals.

Again, you make a wrong assumption about me. Jackass. I was a S&C coach at the University of Pittsburg. I coached Linebackers at the University of Richmond. If you knew anythinmg about pro sports, you'd know there is no money in it unless you are the head man. And the hours are ridiculous. On top of that, pro athletes are some of the laziest and worst people to work with. Like you, they think they know everything. I make close to $100 a hour training housewives and athletes in Greenwich, CT, so don't act like you know who I am. You have no idea what I know and what I do. Take your fancy little degree, or whatever piece of paper you have that tells you that you know what you're doing, and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Holto
11-21-2007, 03:48 PM
I make close to $100 a hour training housewives

...and you do this out of your home? Because if you're at a gym the gym is taking upwards of 60%, which puts your hourly rate for the client close to $200.

Congratulations, you're the first trainer in the history of the industry to make that kind of coin.

What do you do when they ask you a question that would require you to know something?

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 03:54 PM
WBB doesn't need to be brought down with arrogant, know-it-all people like this. I am(and I'm sure everyone else here) sick of reading posts like that. ^^^^

While I was in the gym the other night, I had a guy randomly tell me he thought the mentality on this site was going downhill very quickly.

I'm not sure that he is even a member, but he has apparently noticed the trend that unless you preach bulks at all costs, nothing but compound exercises, and general disregard for thoughts or discussions aimed at anything outside powerlifting, you are simply "wrong" here at WBB.

Obviously, everyone is encouraged to share opinions and engage in healthy debates.

But it seems outsiders are taking notice to how much has changed from a few years ago, or even from 2001.

(PS: I include some powerlifting in my training, so don't start)

Chubrock
11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
...and you do this out of your home? Because if you're at a gym the gym is taking upwards of 60%, which puts your hourly rate for the client close to $200.

Congratulations, you're the first trainer in the history of the industry to make that kind of coin.

You're being an ass, and once again you're wrong. If you want to belittle someone, get your facts right.

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 04:03 PM
You're being an ass, and once again you're wrong. If you want to belittle someone, get your facts right.

How would you label that as being an ass, while codoning Rhodes internet language?

Chubrock
11-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Telling these people to eat "crap" as the foundation of their diet is not smart.

Once again, he's never said make it the foundation of your diet. Hell, he doesn't even use it as the foundation of his diet.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 04:05 PM
As usual, you guys miss the point. My one -size-fits-all method does work. You guys seem to forget that I started this lifting crap when I was 185lbs. I was a tiny, weak 18 year old kid. Funny thing is, it was the BBers at my first gym that told me how to eat. Imagine that? Competitive BBers told me to eat bad food to gain weight because it's only for short periods of time to achieve a goal. even my college strngth coach told me to eat bad food when I needed to go from 190 to 230 in a summer. Dropped 3%BF that summer. He even had all the fancy initials after his name. He read all that science stuff, too. Must've been bad advice from him.

As I got into PLing, THE SAME ADVICE WAS GIVEN TO ME! Imagine that?

I don't talk about who I am and what I've done to brag. I have credentials. I've done it. I've been a college and professional athlete. I've been an S&C coach at Pittsburg. I've done it. I'm only asking what you have done to make you guys such experts on this thing. I'm not better than anyone. I'm smarter, simply because I keep things as simple as they need to be. No wasted effort. Some call it efficiency.

You can knock me, but I'm right. Take me how you will. As for the jackleg that wants me banned - have fun with that one. I've tried to get myself banned. I'm popular. People like my terrible attitude and straight-forward approach.

What's making this site take a turn for the worse is uneducated (in terms of lifting experience) children giving advice out that is all conjecture. And, when peoiple that actually know what they're talking about say things, they get ripped.

Make sure you guys count up your calories and macro/micronutrients for Thanksgiving dinner. I hate to have you guys go 22 calories over your maintenace requirements. It might screw up all the progress you're not making.

Chubrock
11-21-2007, 04:06 PM
How would you label that as being an ass, while codoning Rhodes internet language?

Mainly because I value what Rhodes has to say far more than what Holto has to say. Rhodes has/is at an extremely high level. He's been everywhere in between. In my eyes, this gives him leeway in being an *******. Countless times I've seen him be friendly to new people, and countless times I've seen him bagged over and over for the advice he gives.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 04:08 PM

What do you do when they ask you a question that would require you to know something?

My intellectually stunted little friend, it is possible to work for a gym and work privately. I know it sounds crazy, but it does happen. I couldn't believe it either when I found out that I could have 2 jobs. This is a crazy world we live in.

arnoldsclone
11-21-2007, 04:20 PM
this thread is vicous lol! People need to relax.....go lift or something lol!

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Mainly because I value what Rhodes has to say far more than what Holto has to say.

I wasn't refering at all to the content of what either says.

Nor the philosophy which is heavily debated.

I am refering to this....

Wannabebig Community Rules

1. Respect - Treat your fellow WBBers with respect in all of your posts.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 04:33 PM
I wasn't refering at all to the content of what either says.

Nor the philosophy which is heavily debated.

I am refering to this....

Wannabebig Community Rules

1. Respect - Treat your fellow WBBers with respect in all of your posts.

Send some respect my way, then. If not, stop crying about me being a dick. I get ripped more than anyone. I guess when you're on top, people are always trying to knock you down. LOL!

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Send some respect my way, then. If not, stop crying about me being a dick. I get ripped more than anyone. I guess when you're on top, people are always trying to knock you down. LOL!

I have not treated you any differently than anyone else.

To be honest, I am not crying one bit. It's just that too many times I see people reprimanded or posts deleted for "saying" similar things.

It's not what you say that I disagree with as much as it is what others are not "allowed" to say.

I addressed Cubrock because I do not understand how a moderator could condemn Holto's apparent sarcasm as being as ass, and not address the persistent insults coming from other posters.

I am pretty neutral here at WBB. I just call them like I see them. I have engaged in some very heated debates with Chris Mason regarding details of protein supplementation and his products, yet I have also purchased AtLarge products and written him a private message thanking him for fast shipping.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
I have not treated you any differently than anyone else.

To be honest, I am not crying one bit. It's just that too many times I see people reprimanded or posts deleted for "saying" similar things.

It's not what you say that I disagree with as much as it is what others are not "allowed" to say.

I addressed Cubrock because I do not understand how a moderator could condemn Holto's apparent sarcasm as being as ass, and not address the persistent insults coming from other posters.

I am pretty neutral here at WBB. I just call them like I see them. I have engaged in some heated debates with Crhis Mason regarding details of protein supplementation and his products, yet I have also purchased AtLarge products.

That was not a direct response to you. It was in general. I get reprimanded all the time by the mods. I have posts deleted constantly. Holto is up my ass on every one of my posts that is inconsistent with his thoughts. I realize that I come off the wrong way, but for him to question my profession and insult my abilities as a trainer and as an elite lifter - he can suck my little hairy beanbag. I don't mind the disagreements on philosophy, but calling me lazy and stupid becaue I don't waste my time reading is ridiculous. Then to insult my profession and call into question how I make my money is down right uncalled for. I know it's the internet, but I'd slap his little ass if I ever met him. I know this will sound like the big guy complex, but he wouldn't speak to me that way in person. I'd take him out back and show him who his daddy was. Then I'd brag about it. I know that works because my girlfriend does it to me when I step out of line. Nothing like being a 310lb man being violated by a 130lb woman.

HahnB
11-21-2007, 04:55 PM
My intellectually stunted little friend, it is possible to work for a gym and work privately. I know it sounds crazy, but it does happen. I couldn't believe it either when I found out that I could have 2 jobs. This is a crazy world we live in.

That type of hourly pay doesn't translate into a salary. He was assuming you made 100 dollars an hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week which would equate to almost $300,000k a year which is obviously way off.

Personally, I don't give a **** how much anyone can bench, what they've done in this industry, or anything other area. Making the statement that every single person that touches a weight (whether it be body building, power lifting, rehabilitation, or for a specific sport) to eat in the same manner as a 300lb power lifter is ignorant.

The real tragedy of this site is taking idiotic phrases like this as gospel because they come from someone to appears to know what they're talking about. How many times has it been brought up that Arnold's training ideas weren't the best, even though they worked for him? They might have been the best for someone like Arnold, but for the majority of the population they're terrible. It's the same thing here. Rhodes advice is not good for everyone. It's good for a select few who are in the same boat he is-but he refuses to recognize this and refuses to surrender his own advice to any type of logic that shows him that it is best targeted at people like him, not every single person in the world.

There's no point in arguing with someone that won't listen to reason. We've already told him that his advice is great for people like him, but no so great for everyone else. He won't accept this, so we might as well not waste our time anymore.

brihead301
11-21-2007, 04:56 PM
HAHAHA you crack me up man. You start off a sentence in a nice way "I realize that I come off the wrong way, but for him to question my profession...." It sounds like you're trying to make peace, but then...

"He can suck my little hairy beanbag" and "I'd slap him and show him who his daddy was"

HAHAH good stuff.

I'm just stoned so everything is funny.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 04:59 PM
HAHAHA you crack me up man. You start off a sentence in a nice way "I realize that I come off the wrong way, but for him to question my profession...." It sounds like you're trying to make peace, but then...

"He can suck my little hairy beanbag" and "I'd slap him and show him who his daddy was"

HAHAH good stuff.

I'm just stoned so everything is funny.

No making peace, Bri. I wish I was stoned, too. I'm jealous. Hahn just called me ignorant. I'm not sure how many times that's been said today.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 05:03 PM
That type of hourly pay doesn't translate into a salary. He was assuming you made 100 dollars an hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week which would equate to almost $300,000k a year which is obviously way off.

Personally, I don't give a **** how much anyone can bench, what they've done in this industry, or anything other area. Making the statement that every single person that touches a weight (whether it be body building, power lifting, rehabilitation, or for a specific sport) to eat in the same manner as a 300lb power lifter is ignorant.

The real tragedy of this site is taking idiotic phrases like this as gospel because they come from someone to appears to know what they're talking about. How many times has it been brought up that Arnold's training ideas weren't the best, even though they worked for him? They might have been the best for someone like Arnold, but for the majority of the population they're terrible. It's the same thing here. Rhodes advice is not good for everyone. It's good for a select few who are in the same boat he is-but he refuses to recognize this and refuses to surrender his own advice to any type of logic that shows him that it is best targeted at people like him, not every single person in the world.

There's no point in arguing with someone that won't listen to reason. We've already told him that his advice is great for people like him, but no so great for everyone else. He won't accept this, so we might as well not waste our time anymore.

It's interesting that you don't care what anyone has done in the fitness industry. My next question is, where do you get your Holy Grail info from? Do you just take whatever you read at face value? Do you not sift thru it to find out who's writing the garbage?

That statement is one of the funniest ones I've heard in a while. You don't care what anyone has done in the industry? That explains alot about your POV. As we used to say, "That's wicked funny, guy."

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Tie in to the "Ronald is the DEVIL" post - genetics has been brought up. Referring, of course, to Arnold's training ideas being bad and not good for the general population. That's the genetics card. It's like the race card for weightlifting. Anyone who can't nut up and achieve their goals because they have no heart pulls the genetics card. Wish I pulled my genetics card when I was a kid. I never would've played college or pro football or stood up with 1000lbs on my back. i was red-lighted, but I stood up with it! Damn, should've pulled the gentics card.

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 05:07 PM
The real tragedy of this site is taking idiotic phrases like this as gospel because they come from someone to appears to know what they're talking about. How many times has it been brought up that Arnold's training ideas weren't the best, even though they worked for him?

No matter which side anyone takes, this is a very, very good point.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Here's the simple truth about saying Arnold's training wasn't good. How many Mr. Olympias did he win? Or whatever title it was? If they were so bad, why did they work? Here's why. ANYTHING will work. Certain things need to be present.

1. consistency
2. hard work
3. dedication
4. goals

Unsound by scientific standards or not - they worked. I bet Ronnie Coleman's training isn't optimal by scientific standards, as well. He's pretty good. Hell, doesn't Lee Priest or Jay Cutler eat crappy food when they bulk? According to you all, that's not the right way to do it. I think those guys are pretty good at what they do.

I'm wrong.

Chubrock
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM

I didn't sense any sarcasm in his post. I'm also not a moderator. Just an ass.

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 05:24 PM
I didn't sense any sarcasm in his post. I'm also not a moderator. Just an ass.

I thought you were for some reason.

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Here's the simple truth about saying Arnold's training wasn't good. How many Mr. Olympias did he win? Or whatever title it was? If they were so bad, why did they work? Here's why. ANYTHING will work. Certain things need to be present.

1. consistency
2. hard work
3. dedication
4. goals

Unsound by scientific standards or not - they worked. I bet Ronnie Coleman's training isn't optimal by scientific standards, as well. He's pretty good. Hell, doesn't Lee Priest or Jay Cutler eat crappy food when they bulk? According to you all, that's not the right way to do it. I think those guys are pretty good at what they do.

I'm wrong.

You actually just proved the point everyone who disagrees with you is trying to make and get through to you.

Without admitting it, you just proved it.

Everyone is different.

Additionally, not one person in this thread said Arnold's methods were bad.

Hahn indicated that it is a common idea that what Arnold does is not best for the average trainee. I will quote it again so you see that.

How many times has it been brought up that Arnold's training ideas weren't the best, even though they worked for him?

His point (the one I said was very good) is that people blindly listen to "pros" or people like yourself out of blind faith, even though what you preach may not be what is best for them.

If no one tested anything or relied on science or did what was best for them, we would all still be buying muscle and fitness and Flex and copying pro bodybuilder routines and buying endless supplements.

(This is not meant to say you are wrong. There is a difference between that, and what I just said)

Chubrock
11-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I thought you were for some reason.

It's my rugged good looks.

Holto
11-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Chubrock:

Science and theory aside. How do you feel about Rhodes calling you a woman?

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 07:06 AM
How do you feel about Rhodes calling you a woman?

If I was that easily hurt by things said over the internet, then I suppose I'd have to agree with him that I was a woman.

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 09:33 AM
You actually just proved the point everyone who disagrees with you is trying to make and get through to you.

Without admitting it, you just proved it.

Everyone is different.

Additionally, not one person in this thread said Arnold's methods were bad.

Hahn indicated that it is a common idea that what Arnold does is not best for the average trainee. I will quote it again so you see that.

His point (the one I said was very good) is that people blindly listen to "pros" or people like yourself out of blind faith, even though what you preach may not be what is best for them.

If no one tested anything or relied on science or did what was best for them, we would all still be buying muscle and fitness and Flex and copying pro bodybuilder routines and buying endless supplements.

(This is not meant to say you are wrong. There is a difference between that, and what I just said)

I have never said my ways are the only ways. Not once! What I have said is that my ways work. And, that is the truth. ANYONE could do what I've done and get big - not 300lbs big - but bigger. You should listen to pro's (I'm not necessarliy including myself in pro's) because they have done it. That's where you guys miss my point ALL THE TIME. If someone has been there, you should listen to them.

You go to a mechanic to fix your car. Do you want a guy that has read about it, or someone that has been working on cars their whole life? I know what where I'm going. Experience wins out EVERYTIME over book knowledge.

I know what you guys are trying to tell me about the individual and all that crap. We're not all so different that cookie-cutter programs or diet ideas don't work. Somewhere in this internet, bad info craze, everyone started to think that they were so different from the next guy. Sorry boys, you ain't that special. What works for one will work for another, to a point. I follow a bench plan that a 5' 8", 300lb bencher uses. My arms are longer than his legs. Guess what? It works eventhough we are very different lifters. I hate to break it to you, but diet is the same way. Take a breath. When you're done telling me how wrong I am, you can go back to your ultra-specialized, individually wrapped trainee-specific diet that your on. Or, you could try what I have to say when you're bulking. NO! Don't do that. Then you'd have to come on here and tell me that I'm right. And, you know I'd rub it in your faces.

Bottom line - cookie-cutter programs work. Tiny little adjustments need to be made, but the program works. Any program you follow in Muscle and Fitness will work if you go after it 100% and you believe it will work. Now, go find that in your precious little books.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I have never said my ways are the only ways. Not once! What I have said is that my ways work.You also do this while simultaneously casting out everyone else's advice as bad advice.

If someone has been there, you should listen to them.Respect is earned, not given. Respect won't be given to you simply because "you've been there". You're not going to have too many people listen to you when you're being a jerk off 24/7. Also...you "being there" and how you got there worked for you. It's not going to work for everyone else. We also don't have the same goals as you and I find it asinine that you think it's ridiculous that someone would rather put on fat at a slower rate than you think is appropriate, but not everyone wants what you want. You should try pounding that with a mighty thor hammer into that granite thick skull of yours. You're like a big child. You never grew up. The only thing growing here is your ego. I don't care who you are...when you act like that, nobody gives a **** about what you have to say. Try picking up this book and give it a go ~> http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195770068&sr=8-1

When you're done telling me how wrong I am, you can go back to your ultra-specialized, individually wrapped trainee-specific diet that your on. Or, you could try what I have to say when you're bulking.Yet another example of your idiocy. When people flat out say they don't want to go about their diet as you suggest because that's not their goals and you call them stupid...how's that helpful? I like your little fantastic verbiage of renaming basic dieting guidelines that really aren't complex to some belittling and irrelevant name. Some people actually give a **** about their health while also obtaining their physique goals.

I'm sure you have a boatload of wonderful advice to give to people because you've accomplished many great things, but if you expect people to take your advice, you need to approach the psychological aspect of communicative skills with a bit more candor. It's like you're doing the same things over and over again and expecting something different to happen. Can you really not see anything else but what's in front of you?

stallion
11-22-2007, 03:56 PM
peeks in

Oh, hey guys! I've never had Arby's, but I've heard good things.

backs out slowly

deeder
11-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Rhodes, know that there are those of us who value your presence and your advice on this site. Stick to the powerlifting section and you generally do get the respect that you deserve for what you've accomplished in your life.

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Haha damn ya'll let Rhodes get ya'll too worked up. He's quickly overtaking my spot on the most disliked throne. Not good.

dusst
11-22-2007, 06:20 PM
never been to arbys but i would suggest not going there a lot, eat healthy foods your tummy will thank you

deeder
11-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Haha damn ya'll let Rhodes get ya'll too worked up. He's quickly overtaking my spot on the most disliked throne. Not good.

Who dislikes you? I always wondered why you had "Resident Dick" above your name :nod:

deeder
11-22-2007, 06:30 PM
never been to arbys but i would suggest not going there a lot, eat healthy foods your tummy will thank you

Dude, my tummy thanks me when I junk food.

Seriously, it jumps up and says "THANKS FOR GIVING ME A TREAT MAN!!!"

But I've never had Arbys so I can't really comment... I'm just talking about junk in general :alcoholic:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-22-2007, 08:06 PM
On a serious note, I love Arby's. :)

Songsangnim
11-22-2007, 08:11 PM

1. consistency
2. hard work
3. dedication
4. goals

I'm wrong.

Arnold, Ronnie, Lee and Jay ALSO have fantastic genetics and used steroids. That in large part accounts for their success. True they may be dedicated, consistent and put in a lot of hard work...but so do many other people. To take 1 or even 10 people out of a population of hundreds is far too small a sample to make the kind of statements you are making.

Their advice is not suitable for the average non-drug using trainee. Not only that but both Ronnie and Jay use training "gurus" to get them in shape (as does Lee to a lesser extent). If they know what they are doing, why do they need someone to tell them how to eat and train and when? Plus they can spend most of their day eating, sleeping and training. The average person can maybe get in 1-2 hours of training a day between his job, family and so on. He or she certainly does not have access to the best trainers, drugs, and unlimited time to train, eat and sleep.

That's just comparing apples and oranges...actually more like apples and forks.

Someone can get very big and very strong without having a clue about what they are doing. Others have a much harder time and yes sometimes it has nothing to do with any of the four factors you mentioned above.

As for "ANYTHING will work" even if that were completely accurate...it would not work to the same degree for all. Eating 5K calories a day may work for one person, while for another it may just add unwanted blubber.

You have a point about how we are not all so different...but that's only true up to a point. People can and do have vastly different metabolisms for one thing. That is going to affect how they recover and how they eat and what they eat.

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Who dislikes you? I always wondered why you had "Resident Dick" above your name :nod:

I've had quite a few people disagree with my state the facts, cut the sugar coated bull**** comments. A lot of people don't like bluntness.

Edit: As for the Resident Dick title, I just try to be an *******. Makes my day fun.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I've had quite a few people disagree with my state the facts, cut the sugar coated bull**** comments. A lot of people don't like bluntness.Which is why some people have grown to hate me on occasion. Bluntness. Join the club.

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Try picking up this book and give it a go ~> http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195770068&sr=8-1

I'm pretty sure Rhodes doesn't give a **** about making friends with people that bitch and moan.

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 08:49 PM
You also do this while simultaneously casting out everyone else's advice as bad advice.

Respect is earned, not given. Respect won't be given to you simply because "you've been there". You're not going to have too many people listen to you when you're being a jerk off 24/7. Also...you "being there" and how you got there worked for you. It's not going to work for everyone else. We also don't have the same goals as you and I find it asinine that you think it's ridiculous that someone would rather put on fat at a slower rate than you think is appropriate, but not everyone wants what you want. You should try pounding that with a mighty thor hammer into that granite thick skull of yours. You're like a big child. You never grew up. The only thing growing here is your ego. I don't care who you are...when you act like that, nobody gives a **** about what you have to say. Try picking up this book and give it a go ~> http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195770068&sr=8-1

Yet another example of your idiocy. When people flat out say they don't want to go about their diet as you suggest because that's not their goals and you call them stupid...how's that helpful? I like your little fantastic verbiage of renaming basic dieting guidelines that really aren't complex to some belittling and irrelevant name. Some people actually give a **** about their health while also obtaining their physique goals.

I'm sure you have a boatload of wonderful advice to give to people because you've accomplished many great things, but if you expect people to take your advice, you need to approach the psychological aspect of communicative skills with a bit more candor. It's like you're doing the same things over and over again and expecting something different to happen. Can you really not see anything else but what's in front of you?

Wow, for little f#$%ing tool, you love to tell me how stupid I am. Thanks for the psychological approach. That really enlightened me. I'm a new man, now. Or child, I guess.

As far as respect - you're generation is f#$%ed in the head. Respect should be given to those that came first. That's how it was when I was coming up. It will never change. But, you little computer bitches with your internet attitudes have all the answers.

As far as not seeing thing in front of me - I know when I'm right. It's that simple. That's confidence, not cockiness or stupidity. When something works, it works. Much like the wheel. Or have you guys tried to redesign that wonderful invention?

And, somehow you constantly say I don't have concern for health. I've never told anyone to have a steady diet of crap. FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME> Are you too stupid to get that? Apparently so. You're as stupid and thick-headed as you like to accuse me of being.

He without sin cast the first stone.

And, yes, I am a big child. We all are. Open up your eyes and you might get it. Or, maybe, you're just that mature. Don't let the sand irritate your vagina.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Respect should be given to those that came first.I do this with most older folks, but they don't act like douche bags. Respect is earned, not given. When you exude douche bag ness ... respect will be a hard thing to find.

I know when I'm right. It's that simple.Okay. Go with that. :windup:

I'm pretty sure Rhodes doesn't give a **** about making friends with people that bitch and moan.Who the hell are you?

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Arnold, Ronnie, Lee and Jay ALSO have fantastic genetics and used steroids. That in large part accounts for their success. True they may be dedicated, consistent and put in a lot of hard work...but so do many other people. To take 1 or even 10 people out of a population of hundreds is far too small a sample to make the kind of statements you are making.

Their advice is not suitable for the average non-drug using trainee. Not only that but both Ronnie and Jay use training "gurus" to get them in shape (as does Lee to a lesser extent). If they know what they are doing, why do they need someone to tell them how to eat and train and when? Plus they can spend most of their day eating, sleeping and training. The average person can maybe get in 1-2 hours of training a day between his job, family and so on. He or she certainly does not have access to the best trainers, drugs, and unlimited time to train, eat and sleep.

That's just comparing apples and oranges...actually more like apples and forks.

Someone can get very big and very strong without having a clue about what they are doing. Others have a much harder time and yes sometimes it has nothing to do with any of the four factors you mentioned above.

As for "ANYTHING will work" even if that were completely accurate...it would not work to the same degree for all. Eating 5K calories a day may work for one person, while for another it may just add unwanted blubber.

You have a point about how we are not all so different...but that's only true up to a point. People can and do have vastly different metabolisms for one thing. That is going to affect how they recover and how they eat and what they eat.

Genetics and drugs! 2 of the lamest excuses for someone's success. In my travels, those that use genetics and drugs as reasons why other are great, are jealous and they just suck at life and as people. I don't know you, but the genetics/drugs card is a bad hand to play.

It makes you sound like the kid who had all the excuses for not playing a sport. "Well, the coaches son was the QB, so I never got a chance." Wrong. You sucked, that's why you didn't play.

As far as metabolisms go, you can control that with your eating habits. I do it to gain or lose weight. I know a bunch of guys that do it, as well. Can't wait to get told I'm wrong about this eventhough the "experts" have confirmed it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-22-2007, 08:57 PM
In my travels, those that use genetics and drugs as reasons why other are great, are jealous and they just suck at life and as people.You are a complete tool. Your mentality is a joke.

As far as metabolisms go, you can control that with your eating habits. I do it to gain or lose weight. I know a bunch of guys that do it, as well.Wow. You should've been born with hyperthyroidism.

HahnB
11-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Genetics and drugs! 2 of the lamest excuses for someone's success

LMAO. Now genetics and drugs don't come into play. Wow. This post speaks for itself.

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Who the hell are you?

Ummmm Chubrock? Next question?

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 09:00 PM
LMAO. Now genetics and drugs don't come into play. Wow. This post speaks for itself.

He never said they don't come into play. He said they're two of the lamest excuses. There's a difference.

HahnB
11-22-2007, 09:10 PM
They aren't excuses. If someone bench presses 900lbs or is 275lbs @ 4% body fat they're genetically gifted and the average person can never achieve that no matter what they do.

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Scarz - you always get me. You're so good. You've put me in my place, AGAIN. Wow, I have met my match.

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Drugs and genetics - I'm not like those guys because my mom and dad screwed up. It's their fault. He 4% because he uses drugs. That's why.

LAME! Horrible excuses. Almost as lame as Scarz telling me I'm a tool, a child, stupid, and whatever other creative little comeback he has.

Did daddy love you too much, Scarz? Is that the pain you speak of in your login name? I'm sorry.

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 09:23 PM
They aren't excuses. If someone bench presses 900lbs or is 275lbs @ 4% body fat they're genetically gifted and the average person can never achieve that no matter what they do.

They are excuses. How do you (general) know you couldn't bench 900lbs? Have you tried everything you possibly could to get there. Were you willing to get up to 400lbs to bench it? Were you willing to sacrifice absolutely everything in order to reach that level? Hell when Vinny was looking to hit 600lbs raw, his head (from what I could see in vids) looked like it was about to pop off his shoulders and go rolling across the gym floor. He did everything he had to do to reach his goal. Is everybody going to bench 900lbs or be a ripped 275? No, but 9 times out of 10 it is because they lack in one of the 4 things Rhodes outlined above, and not because of genetics or gear. They use those two things as a cop out for why they haven't succeeded.

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Chub - you may not want to quote me. I'm stupid and don't know anything about training or eating. Just ask all these top pro's that disagree with me on every thread I post in. Hell, I think I heard that Scarz and Hahn will be competing at The Arnold Classic this year.

Songsangnim
11-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Ronnie, Jay, Lee and Arnold all got to where they were by dedication, hard work, consistency and yes large amounts of drugs and superior genetics. These ALL played a part.

Were that not so...anyone could look like them.

In all my travels, many of those who claim that drugs and genetics are just excuses tend to be those who are genetically gifted and on assistance as well.

Tell me something. If drugs is just a lame excuse why are they used by so many athletes (even those at the top of their sport and in the Olympics.)? Are those medal winners who use drugs just wimps who can't make it?

And as for genetics most elite athletes ARE genetically gifted...there's no getting around that. Some are not, that's true. But how often do you see them on the winner's platform at the uppermost level be it a strength competition or bodybuilding or other physical feats in certain sports?

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't think Rhodes has ever said they don't play a role. What he has said, and I agree with him on this, is that far to many people use them as an excuse for why they don't accomplish ****. If most people had half the drive as someone like Kyle Meynard (butchered his name I think) we would see the level of play in all sports rise drastically. Far too many people look for **** to come quick and come easily. Nobody wants the bad with the good.

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Chub - you may not want to quote me. I'm stupid and don't know anything about training or eating.

You're right. You're dumb as **** ya big bastard. I wouldn't want my reputation on the board to go down any.

Songsangnim
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
No, but 9 times out of 10 it is because they lack in one of the 4 things Rhodes outlined above, and not because of genetics or gear. .

And what about the 10th time? Could it not possibly be a case of lack of genetics and gear?

Yes too many times they are used as excuses. I have no problem admitting that. But sometimes they are the exact reasons which separate say Mr Pittsburgh from Mr. Olympia. Which was my main point to begin with. They are not just excuses ALL the time.

There are dozens of hard-training lifters who have plenty of the four things Rhodes pointed out above...heck I could name a dozen on these very boards alone. Yet how come none of them look like Arnold or Ronnie or Coleman?

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 09:46 PM
At some point, they're going to play a role, however this conversation isn't going on amongst people with 10yrs of top level stage experience. To bring genetics and gear into play at the level the vast majority of this board is at, is just a cop out.

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 09:52 PM
And what about the 10th time? Could it not possibly be a case of lack of genetics and gear?

Yes too many times they are used as excuses. I have no problem admitting that. But sometimes they are the exact reasons which separate say Mr Pittsburgh from Mr. Olympia. Which was my main point to begin with. They are not just excuses ALL the time.

There are dozens of hard-training lifters who have plenty of the four things Rhodes pointed out above...heck I could name a dozen on these very boards alone. Yet how come none of them look like Arnold or Ronnie or Coleman?

They don't look like those guys because they don't have the mental game to bring to the table.

Songsangnim
11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
At some point, they're going to play a role, however this conversation isn't going on amongst people with 10yrs of top level stage experience. To bring genetics and gear into play at the level the vast majority of this board is at, is just a cop out.

Oh I quite agree with you on that, however I wasn't referring to the vast majority of this board.

Let me tell you a little story.

Once upon a time there was this young man who believed that it was possible to become a professional bodybuilder solely through dedication and hard work. All it took (or so he thought) was the willingness to go further than those others. So he started working out six days a week (mostly twice a day...sometimes 3 times a day). Soon he got to the point where most of the time he would have to puke during his workout. He would go to the bathroom, do his business rinse his mouth...and go back to finish his workout. Sometimes he had to puke twice...but no matter...if his workout wasn't finished..neither was he.

Strains and aches? Bah. Injuries? As soon as he could our hero was back in the gym. But no matter what, until he started training far less and with far less intensity he never made any gains...or little to speak of.

So it tends to somewhat irrate this no longer so young man when people say that steroids and genetics are just a cop-out and hard work and dedication are all it takes.

And he would like to add a fifth reason to Rhodes' list. It's called Intelligent Training--learn the reasons behind what you are doing and why.

Anyway I'm done.

HAND.

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Ronnie, Jay, Lee and Arnold all got to where they were by dedication, hard work, consistency and yes large amounts of drugs and superior genetics. These ALL played a part.

Were that not so...anyone could look like them.

In all my travels, many of those who claim that drugs and genetics are just excuses tend to be those who are genetically gifted and on assistance as well.

Tell me something. If drugs is just a lame excuse why are they used by so many athletes (even those at the top of their sport and in the Olympics.)? Are those medal winners who use drugs just wimps who can't make it?

And as for genetics most elite athletes ARE genetically gifted...there's no getting around that. Some are not, that's true. But how often do you see them on the winner's platform at the uppermost level be it a strength competition or bodybuilding or other physical feats in certain sports?

Let's talk genetics. My mom is 5' 1" 110lbs. Dad is 5' 10" 180lbs. Sister is 5' 5" 130lbs. I came from the gene pool of the Gods. Mom and Dad both test genius on the IQ test. Both have their Doctorates. Mom has 3 Master's degrees, Dad has 2, sister has 2. So there's the family gene pool.

What did I get? According to Scarz, I'm stupid. I only have a BA. I was also fortunate enough to have Marfans Syndrome. It's a mutation of the 16th chromasome. Here are some of the cool facts and side effects of my incredible genetic make-up

1. weak connective tissue in the entire body
2. heart problems
3. eye problems
4. incredibly skinny - very elongated limbs (not the wee wee, though. Damn)

Most sufferers are not allowed to play sports or anything remotely physical for fear of tearing ligaments and tendons. There's also a chance of the aorta exploding. Early onset of cataracts (I've already had surgery to fix that on both eyes) partially detatched lenses. One of my replaced lenses tore off 3 weeks ago while I was driving. It was listed as a "spontaneous dislocation".

I played college football, pro football, and now I'm a powerlifter (a dumb one). I was told by my Dr to give up my scholarship because of my health conditions. So, when some little b!tch cries about genetics, I laugh, because they SUCK AT LIFE! Nothing but a bunch of lame excuses for not having the balls to chase their dreams.

deeder
11-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh I quite agree with you on that, however I wasn't referring to the vast majority of this board.

Let me tell you a little story.

Once upon a time there was this young man who believed that it was possible to become a professional bodybuilder solely through dedication and hard work. All it took (or so he thought) was the willingness to go further than those others. So he started working out six days a week (mostly twice a day...sometimes 3 times a day). Soon he got to the point where most of the time he would have to puke during his workout. He would go to the bathroom, do his business rinse his mouth...and go back to finish his workout. Sometimes he had to puke twice...but no matter...if his workout wasn't finished..neither was he.

Strains and aches? Bah. Injuries? As soon as he could our hero was back in the gym. But no matter what, until he started training far less and with far less intensity he never made any gains...or little to speak of.

So it tends to somewhat irrate this no longer so young man when people say that steroids and genetics are just a cop-out and hard work and dedication are all it takes.

And he would like to add a fifth reason to Rhodes' list. It's called Intelligent Training--learn the reasons behind what you are doing and why.

Anyway I'm done.

HAND.

Haha, our little hero should have realized he was overtraining and probably should have taken Rhodes advice: Get back to the basics and ****ing eat!

HahnB
11-22-2007, 10:40 PM
They don't look like those guys because they don't have the mental game to bring to the table.

You're basically claiming that there's nothing genetically different from Ronnie Coleman and some of the people on this board-I will never agree with a statement like that.

Anyways, you said you started lifting @ 185lbs. I had to bust my ass to get to 185lbs. Everyone is different.

Slim Schaedle
11-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 11:11 PM
You're basically claiming that there's nothing genetically different from Ronnie Coleman and some of the people on this board-I will never agree with a statement like that.

Anyways, you said you started lifting @ 185lbs. I had to bust my ass to get to 185lbs. Everyone is different.

You never agree with anything I say. I don't care what you think. Drugs and genetics are the pussy way out for people that don't have any balls.

Everyone is different - whah! I was 18 years old and I listened to the people that knew better. I didn't question them. I did as I was told and they were right. By 21 I was 230 and by 23 I was 250. 9 years later I hit an all-time bodyweight PR of 314. Nut up and do it. Whatever your bodyweight goal is. Grow some balls and put the time and effort in.

HahnB
11-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I highly doubt there's a single other member on this board that's over the age of 15 that would agree to a statement claiming that a pro body builder is not genetically different than the average person.

Genetics vary greatly from person to person. Look around you. I know people that don't lift at all and have decent builds. I knew people in high school that never lifted and had great builds. I also knew someone that was 75lbs over weight. Both of these people had the same amount of physical activity-hardly any. Actually, the guy with the great build just smoked pot and drank-but I guess everyone is genetically identical:thumbup:

Slim Schaedle
11-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Drugs and genetics are the pussy way out for people that don't have any balls.

Would you also apply that to the use of gear such as wraps, bench shirts, squat suits, etc.?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Rhodes: I didn't say you were stupid. I said you're an egotistical jack ass who's in love with himself. I've yet to see you actually give any advice that correlates with your accomplishments. The only advice I've ever seen you give is "eat crappy food to get big". I'm still waiting for you to share with us all your knowledge that you're so loudly proclaiming you have inside your brain. The only thing I've seen you do is talk about how much better you are than everyone else. You've been doing that since you got here. I was really intrigued by your strength when you first got here, and I was actually eagerly awaiting some helpful gems of experience to share with us, but you have yet to do that. I had a lot or respect for you at first, but you haven't done anything to make me consider you one of the elites. You're simply just a mean individual. You tell everyone they're making excuses and yet these same people bust their asses off in the gym many times a week and stuff themselves until they want to puke. You act like you know every single person on here, but you don't. You make all these ridiculous assumptions that simply aren't true. You've done nothing to add to this site that we don't already know. There's plenty of information on this site and millions of posts. There are doctors, therapists, nutritionists on this site that have shared their knowledge with this site. We know that eating junk food will make you big quick. Everything you've ever said we already know, which is why I find it funny that you think your advice is golden. You've provided absolutely nothing new to this community and you aren't doing anything to help. If you want people to praise you for your wonderful accomplishments, then add something to the site. But all you've done is rip on people and tell us things we already have known years before you got here, Mr. Obvious. I'm still awaiting some gems of advice from you because I've been eagerly waiting for that since you got here, but I've been following your posts and have been let down.

Songsangnim
11-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Haha, our little hero should have realized he was overtraining and probably should have taken Rhodes advice: Get back to the basics and ****ing eat!

Which was the whole point of the post. Sometimes it's not just hard work that is lacking. Sometimes LESS is better.

Songsangnim
11-22-2007, 11:58 PM

Yep, the competitive bodybuilders on this board must obviously have no mental game and that's all that's separating them from mixing it up with Jay Cutler for the Mr. Olympia.

Come on you guys stop being so lazy:confused:

So I take it we'll be seeing you winning the top powerlifting trophies in the future. After all it's only about hard work and dedication.

HahnB
11-23-2007, 12:00 AM
I've seen a few of his videos on youtube, his personality seems very different on here than on the videos. In the video he seemed personable and more friendly.

Chubrock
11-23-2007, 06:28 AM
I've seen a few of his videos on youtube, his personality seems very different on here than on the videos. In the video he seemed personable and more friendly.

Matt enjoys pushing buttons. He also believes heavily in what he has said earlier about shutting up around people that know what they're talking about. In the majority of the videos you've seen him in, he's been around people that are stronger and bigger than him, or that have been at some point. His attitude is going to appear different when he's switched gears from trying to teach a lesson to trying to learn one.

Chubrock
11-23-2007, 06:33 AM
I've yet to see you actually give any advice that correlates with your accomplishments. The only advice I've ever seen you give is "eat crappy food to get big". I'm still waiting for you to share with us all your knowledge that you're so loudly proclaiming you have inside your brain.

Hang out in the Powerlifting Forum or over at EFS. Rhodes answers tons of questions. Don't expect any revolutionary information. **** that was working back in the day still works.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 07:20 AM
I highly doubt there's a single other member on this board that's over the age of 15 that would agree to a statement claiming that a pro body builder is not genetically different than the average person.

Genetics vary greatly from person to person. Look around you. I know people that don't lift at all and have decent builds. I knew people in high school that never lifted and had great builds. I also knew someone that was 75lbs over weight. Both of these people had the same amount of physical activity-hardly any. Actually, the guy with the great build just smoked pot and drank-but I guess everyone is genetically identical:thumbup:

Cry baby. My genetics suck, so it's ok for me to suck. Excuses!

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Would you also apply that to the use of gear such as wraps, bench shirts, squat suits, etc.?

No. That's part of the sport. Would you play football without a helmet or cleats? It's part of the equipment that is allowed, unless you choose to lift raw.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Rhodes: I didn't say you were stupid. I said you're an egotistical jack ass who's in love with himself. I've yet to see you actually give any advice that correlates with your accomplishments. The only advice I've ever seen you give is "eat crappy food to get big". I'm still waiting for you to share with us all your knowledge that you're so loudly proclaiming you have inside your brain. The only thing I've seen you do is talk about how much better you are than everyone else. You've been doing that since you got here. I was really intrigued by your strength when you first got here, and I was actually eagerly awaiting some helpful gems of experience to share with us, but you have yet to do that. I had a lot or respect for you at first, but you haven't done anything to make me consider you one of the elites. You're simply just a mean individual. You tell everyone they're making excuses and yet these same people bust their asses off in the gym many times a week and stuff themselves until they want to puke. You act like you know every single person on here, but you don't. You make all these ridiculous assumptions that simply aren't true. You've done nothing to add to this site that we don't already know. There's plenty of information on this site and millions of posts. There are doctors, therapists, nutritionists on this site that have shared their knowledge with this site. We know that eating junk food will make you big quick. Everything you've ever said we already know, which is why I find it funny that you think your advice is golden. You've provided absolutely nothing new to this community and you aren't doing anything to help. If you want people to praise you for your wonderful accomplishments, then add something to the site. But all you've done is rip on people and tell us things we already have known years before you got here, Mr. Obvious. I'm still awaiting some gems of advice from you because I've been eagerly waiting for that since you got here, but I've been following your posts and have been let down.

I'm so glad you are waiting for gems from me. My point, as it always has been, is that the stuff that worked 100 years ago, still works today. Too many people over-complicate things. My advice is not revolutionary. However, sometimes it's the simplest and easiest things that people forget about or overlook.

I must give nothing here at all. No one thinks my advice is noteworthy. Your advice, though, is some of the best I've ever seen.

"That's already in a thread. Use the search function and stop wasting our time." That's helpful.

I don't give a flying f%^k if people "praise" me. At the end of the day, I know what I've done and accomplished. I don't care what you think about me. I'm a jackass, immature, blah, blah, blah. Heard it all before. It means nothing coming from you. You rant and rave about me being in love with myself. You seem to think that what you have to say is groundbreaking. I have yet to read anything from you that is worth anything.

You may want to get off your high horse, my little friend. I'm much more liked than you think.

As I've said before, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read my stuff. It's that simple. It's always the same little people that have something to say about my advice. Get over yourselves.

Torrok
11-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Was at arbys the other night on my lunch and never really paid attention to it before but arby's isnt that bad for you is it?

It's just roast beef and bread, unless you get the chesse melts covered in cheese :idea:

or do they dip the roast beef into a deep fryer of some sort?

:idea: well, i dont see how its bad for you as long as you dont over do it. :)
although, the 20g fat(43% of calories in one sandwich) is a little....yeah....
but other than that, gofer it.

Jonah
11-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Something I once heard pretty much sums up the internet for me. They said the internet was the cast of "One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest." That's all it is just a lot of people who go crazy when Nurse Ratchet's unhappy. Well that and porn...lots and lots of porn. :hide:

HahnB
11-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Cry baby. My genetics suck, so it's ok for me to suck. Excuses!

So what you're claiming is that every human being is genetically identical?

mickyjune26
11-23-2007, 10:15 AM
...from the back row in a small voice...

I like arbys. I dip the sandwiches in their bbq and horsy sauce.

As for bulking, I try to eat clean to reach my cals, but if i get lazy on a certain day, I'll do whatever I need to do in the evening to reach my calories.

When I stick strickly to a clean diet, I fail...because like most people....I'm lazy and it gets old after a few weeks.

I feel a lot different this round of bulking, because I see it as an opportunity to eat whatever I want, as long as I keep the food list fresh so I don't get tired of it.

...retreats quietly out the back door...

Slim Schaedle
11-23-2007, 10:37 AM

I agree.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Yep, the competitive bodybuilders on this board must obviously have no mental game and that's all that's separating them from mixing it up with Jay Cutler for the Mr. Olympia.

Come on you guys stop being so lazy:confused:

So I take it we'll be seeing you winning the top powerlifting trophies in the future. After all it's only about hard work and dedication.

Exactly. I plan on competing at the highest level I can achieve. I hope that leads me to the top. If not, then I missed out on how to get it done.

Slim Schaedle
11-23-2007, 10:38 AM
No. That's part of the sport. Would you play football without a helmet or cleats? It's part of the equipment that is allowed, unless you choose to lift raw.

Have you, or anyone you know, ever said "I could probably get this much, if I got a shirt" ?

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 10:44 AM
So what you're claiming is that every human being is genetically identical?

Words in my mouth again? I'm claiming that people who use genetics as their reason to explain someone else's success or their own lack of success, suck. Why is Ronnie the greatest? Genetics? I don't think so. If it was that simple, there'd be a lot more like him. Same goes for the drug argument. If it's a limitation in your head, then you've already beaten yourself. Go tell a Special Olympian that their genetics held them back. They have all the reasons in the world to have excuses. But, those MFers got off their asses, had a goal, and went out and kicked ass! While you're home crying about genetics, they're out kicking ass and laughing at you.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Have you, or anyone you know, ever said "I could probably get this much, if I got a shirt" ?

Of course. That's the point of wearing a shirt or squat suit. To lift more weight. But, the shirt can't do it for you. Put a bottle of test and a bench shirt on a bench. Let's see how much they can lift.

And, just because you have a great shirt, doesn't mean you'll know how to use it. There's a lot more that goes into using gear than people realize. It's an art. Just like dialing in a pre-contest diet in the last few weeks before the show. It's an art that has to be learned thru trial and error.

Not exactly sure where your question is going.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 10:50 AM
As far as my bubbling personality - a lot is lost in translation onto the internet. I'm that same jackass you saw in that interview to all of my clients. But, it's always said with a smile. Different story at Southside.

HahnB
11-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Words in my mouth again? I'm claiming that people who use genetics as their reason to explain someone else's success or their own lack of success, suck. Why is Ronnie the greatest? Genetics? I don't think so. If it was that simple, there'd be a lot more like him. Same goes for the drug argument. If it's a limitation in your head, then you've already beaten yourself. Go tell a Special Olympian that their genetics held them back. They have all the reasons in the world to have excuses. But, those MFers got off their asses, had a goal, and went out and kicked ass! While you're home crying about genetics, they're out kicking ass and laughing at you.

You're worse than a politician. If you're not claiming that every human is genetically identical, then you must agree that human genetics differ from person to person, correct?

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 10:54 AM
You're worse than a politician. If you're not claiming that every human is genetically identical, then you must agree that human genetics differ from person to person, correct?

Daddy was Mayor! Of course they are different. But, the fact still remains, they are nothing but an excuse for not achieving your goals. There's a drug or diet or mental approach - there's something out there that everyone can find to achieve their goals. You may have to look harder for it than others, but there's an answer for eveything. You gotta look and sift thru a lot of bad stuff before you find it. If you want it bad enough, you'll find it.

Slim Schaedle
11-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Of course. That's the point of wearing a shirt or squat suit. To lift more weight. But, the shirt can't do it for you. Put a bottle of test and a bench shirt on a bench. Let's see how much they can lift.

And, just because you have a great shirt, doesn't mean you'll know how to use it. There's a lot more that goes into using gear than people realize. It's an art. Just like dialing in a pre-contest diet in the last few weeks before the show. It's an art that has to be learned thru trial and error.

Not exactly sure where your question is going.

Well, there you go.

The underlying basis is the same with drugs and genetics.

If some of us here had the coctail of pharms that some pros have (and let's face it, the list is much longer than simply a bottle of test) we just might be in the Olympia.

That's not a cop-out. Nor is what you said about suits and shirt assiting.

Ya gotta know what you are doing but the extra goodies in life will take you further than those without most of the time.

Take two identical cars. Put a supercharger on one. Did the other one lose the race because it didn't work hard enough?

HahnB
11-23-2007, 10:57 AM
You can have all the desire you want, not everyone has the capability to achieve the same physical or even mental goals. I agree that it's used too much as an excuse, but genetics are very important.

Torrok
11-23-2007, 10:59 AM
GUYS YOU'VE BEEN ARGUING FOR 6 PAGES........ :omg:

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 11:04 AM
You can have all the desire you want, not everyone has the capability to achieve the same physical or even mental goals. I agree that it's used too much as an excuse, but genetics are very important.

In desire, I include the willingness to do whatever it takes to achieve your goals. I think that's part of the mental game. If you don't have the capability, then IMO, you have already limited yourself in your own head. If you beat yourself in your head, you'll lose no matter what.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, there you go.

If some of us here had the coctail of pharms that some pros have (and let's face it, the list is much longer than simply a bottle of test) we just might be in the Olympia.

Ya gotta know what you are doing but the extra goodies in life will take you further than those without most of the time.

Take two identical cars. Put a supercharger on one. Did the other one lose the race because it didn't work hard enough?

Maybe the guy without the supercharger could've driven better/smarter and won. There's always an answer for me. Maybe I could've benched 600 if my arms weren't so long. No, I suck, if I think that way. i could've benched 600 if my training was a little better/smarter. Next time, I'll take care of that.

Holto
11-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Housewife Client:

"My dr said I should eat foods with a high ORAC rating, can you recommend some?"

Matthew:

"Look, your Dr is under 200lbs, therefore he isn't qualified to tell you anything. I think you should eat Arby's and get back under that bar!"

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-23-2007, 12:30 PM
In desire, I include the willingness to do whatever it takes to achieve your goals. I think that's part of the mental game. If you don't have the capability, then IMO, you have already limited yourself in your own head. If you beat yourself in your head, you'll lose no matter what.Well of course. Mental willpower is a big part, but everyone has a limit and that limit is genetics. Some people think they've hit their peak, but really haven't...they just haven't made the effort to go that extra mile. But not everyone will be able to achieve certain things based on a lot of factors. Have you read the quotes in my sig?

Genetics is used as an excuse way too often yes, but genetics do play a large role. People tend to give up way before they reach their genetic potential and the introduction of drugs bypasses this limitation to a degree, but we're still limited by our own biology. There's no escaping that. I've never stopped working hard, despite me completely shattering my knee and having lived with that for the last decade and now finally finding a surgeon able to fix me up with donor tissue. Someone had to die to help my knee get fixed, so I'm going to be pretty damn careful with what I do in the gym...but I'll never stop trying my damnedest to do as much as I can with what I have.

Genetics do play a role. Genetics is 100% of the role, quite frankly. There's a lot of people that can get effing huge and go into a bodybuilding competition, but not everyone is going to be able to obtain the symmetry that judges go by that is nothing other than genetics. You can't change how your muscles appear. We all have limitations. I'm glad you've decided to break the mold in your family and achieve such hugeness, but I don't think anyone was a powerlifter in your family, so you're comparing yourself to people in your gene pool that have never done what you have done, so you never knew what you were genetically capable of. Yes, hard ass work and eating like a ravenous shark definitely helps, but your potential for strength was definitely written into your DNA. I'm sure everyone here is capable of more than they could ever imagine. Like a quote I once read, "If we did all the things we were capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." But again...genetics. Not everyone can be an Olympic Gold medalist sprint runner. Some people just run faster than others.

Yes...fine...great...you achieved something in your family that nobody has before. "To achieve what others don't, you have to do what others won't." We are all limited by our genetics. That is a fact. People blame things on genetics way too often. That is a fact. Look at the fat people in this country. Most of them want to blame it on genetics or something, yet less than 10% of all obese people in this country actually have some genetic disorder to blame. That's millions of people making excuses. But with building musculature and strength, our myostatin and central nervous system adaptation can only bring us so far. There is a breaking point.

Junehte
11-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Well of course. Mental willpower is a big part, but everyone has a limit and that limit is genetics. Some people think they've hit their peak, but really haven't...they just haven't made the effort to go that extra mile. But not everyone will be able to achieve certain things based on a lot of factors. Have you read the quotes in my sig?

Genetics is used as an excuse way too often yes, but genetics do play a large role. People tend to give up way before they reach their genetic potential and the introduction of drugs bypasses this limitation to a degree, but we're still limited by our own biology. There's no escaping that. I've never stopped working hard, despite me completely shattering my knee and having lived with that for the last decade and now finally finding a surgeon able to fix me up with donor tissue. Someone had to die to help my knee get fixed, so I'm going to be pretty damn careful with what I do in the gym...but I'll never stop trying my damnedest to do as much as I can with what I have.

Genetics do play a role. Genetics is 100% of the role, quite frankly. There's a lot of people that can get effing huge and go into a bodybuilding competition, but not everyone is going to be able to obtain the symmetry that judges go by that is nothing other than genetics. You can't change how your muscles appear. We all have limitations. I'm glad you've decided to break the mold in your family and achieve such hugeness, but I don't think anyone was a powerlifter in your family, so you're comparing yourself to people in your gene pool that have never done what you have done, so you never knew what you were genetically capable of. Yes, hard ass work and eating like a ravenous shark definitely helps, but your potential for strength was definitely written into your DNA. I'm sure everyone here is capable of more than they could ever imagine. Like a quote I once read, "If we did all the things we were capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." But again...genetics. Not everyone can be an Olympic Gold medalist sprint runner. Some people just run faster than others.

Yes...fine...great...you achieved something in your family that nobody has before. "To achieve what others don't, you have to do what others won't." We are all limited by our genetics. That is a fact. People blame things on genetics way too often. That is a fact. Look at the fat people in this country. Most of them want to blame it on genetics or something, yet less than 10% of all obese people in this country actually have some genetic disorder to blame. That's millions of people making excuses. But with building musculature and strength, our myostatin and central nervous system adaptation can only bring us so far. There is a breaking point.

great post

Torrok
11-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Well of course. Mental willpower is a big part, but everyone has a limit and that limit is genetics. Some people think they've hit their peak, but really haven't...they just haven't made the effort to go that extra mile. But not everyone will be able to achieve certain things based on a lot of factors. Have you read the quotes in my sig?

thats deep, amen

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Housewife Client:

"My dr said I should eat foods with a high ORAC rating, can you recommend some?"

Matthew:

"Look, your Dr is under 200lbs, therefore he isn't qualified to tell you anything. I think you should eat Arby's and get back under that bar!"

F@#K you Holto, you douche bag.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 02:02 PM

I agree with everything except the genetics crap. I'm sorry. I think it's a bad excuse for failure or being afraid to try and possibly fail. I understand your point, but I won't accept it in my own head. There's always an answer, to me. There's always a way to get past the barrier.

My coach used to use all those quotes that mean nothing as well. He used to say, "Everybody wants it. Who's gotta have it?" This is 1 of only a few that actually meant something to me. If you asked anyone on this board who was a competitive bodybuilder or planning on competing, if they WANTED to be Mr. O, I'm pretty sure they'd all say yes. And the ones that say yes, probably won't get very far. Hell, I wanna win a Super Bowl. When I was younger, I didn't understand what it took to be dedicated enough to make the NFL. When you ask those same people, Who's GOTTA be Mr. O? Who's life depends on it? Who won't be satisfied if they don't get there? Those are the ones that will achieve anything. With all the drugs and diets and people that know what they're talking about, you can fix an under-developed chest or any lagging muscle group. There's a way. If you want it bad enough, you'll find it. I talk to Vincent Dizenzo all the time. He gets accused of being a genetic freak because he was one of the first guys to bench 800 and 600 unequipped. Before Vincent hurt his back, he was a better squatter and deadlifter. Before he started lifting, he was 160lbs soaking wet. What's so genetically freaky about that? He had goals. He sought out those that knew how to get him to where he wanted to be and he listened to them. He kept searching until he achieved those goals he had set for himself. I'll never take genetics as a valid reason for not succeeding. Here's a fancy quote for you. "Where there's a will, there's a way." Here's another. "He can achieve, if he believes he can."

Chubrock
11-23-2007, 03:05 PM

See to me that is an excuse. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to get your hands on whatever cocktail you "need." That's part of the doing whatever it takes to get there thing.

Sidior
11-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Well, there you go.

If you feel that way then take the drugs and find out.

C.Pop
11-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Genetics is a huge excuse that's overused. You know what genetics will stop you from doing? Winning the Tour de France, getting the all time powerlifting total record, winning Mr. Olympia. It won't stop you from dominating at a local, state, maybe even national level.

I graduated from High School at about 135lbs. Graduated from college in 2001 at 167lbs. 5 years later I had a national record in an amateur division of the IPA (that means no drugs to those using that for an excuse) and a couple months after that I got a ME state record and benched 650.

Genetics schmenetics. Set your own path and be consumed by nothing other that doing what it takes to overcome any obstacle that comes your way. Sometimes you have to weigh if what you must do is worth what you get, but there is always a way.

I have been accused of great genetics and drug use ever since I started being successful. It's a bull**** excuse made by those that are small minded and quick to expalin why they haven't or don't accomplish things of note.

No one would ever say that genetics and or drugs are inconsequential. That would not only be naive, but wrong. We don't come CLOSE to our genetic potential. We are handicapped by our unwillingness to learn new methods, do hard work, realize that lifting is a marathon, not a sprint and do what is best for us, not what is "more" for us.

I was once approached by an old gymnast who told me that I would never get anywhere in lifting because everyone at the top was on drugs, and without going that route I would not even place, blah blah blah. A year later I had my first record.

**** genetics. I make my own path. Rhodes helped me get there. I need not say more.

HahnB
11-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Genetics is a huge excuse that's overused. You know what genetics will stop you from doing? Winning the Tour de France, getting the all time powerlifting total record, winning Mr. Olympia. It won't stop you from dominating at a local, state, maybe even national level.

I graduated from High School at about 135lbs. Graduated from college in 2001 at 167lbs. 5 years later I had a national record in an amateur division of the IPA (that means no drugs to those using that for an excuse) and a couple months after that I got a ME state record and benched 650.

Genetics schmenetics. Set your own path and be consumed by nothing other that doing what it takes to overcome any obstacle that comes your way. Sometimes you have to weigh if what you must do is worth what you get, but there is always a way.

I have been accused of great genetics and drug use ever since I started being successful. It's a bull**** excuse made by those that are small minded and quick to expalin why they haven't or don't accomplish things of note.

No one would ever say that genetics and or drugs are inconsequential. That would not only be naive, but wrong. We don't come CLOSE to our genetic potential. We are handicapped by our unwillingness to learn new methods, do hard work, realize that lifting is a marathon, not a sprint and do what is best for us, not what is "more" for us.

I was once approached by an old gymnast who told me that I would never get anywhere in lifting because everyone at the top was on drugs, and without going that route I would not even place, blah blah blah. A year later I had my first record.

**** genetics. I make my own path. Rhodes helped me get there. I need not say more.

I'm sure Ronnie Coleman weighed 135lbs at once too-that doesn't mean his genetics were terrible.

dusst
11-23-2007, 04:21 PM
are we still talking about arbys?

C.Pop
11-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm sure Ronnie Coleman weighed 135lbs at once too-that doesn't mean his genetics were terrible.

That's a terrible point to make. Anyone that once weighed more than 135lbs has weighed 135lbs.

My point was that I was skinny, small, and weak. I ran cross country. I did indoor track. I was a freaking distance cyclist. That's what my genetics did for me. It took me years to get a 225lb bench. Argue if you want, but it's just for the sake of argument. Get where you want to go despite genetics, not because of them.

C.Pop
11-23-2007, 04:29 PM

There aren't any near me so I can't comment on that, but I will stop in at the next one I see, just to keep it on track.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Careful Pop. Their gonna start to call you dumb. I know you're a mechanical engineer, but they don't know what that means. You'll be dumb and ignorant for believing that you can succeed with using excuses.

Torrok
11-23-2007, 05:35 PM
HEY i got an idea

btw what kind of foods do you guys eat before a workout??

Songsangnim
11-23-2007, 06:01 PM

Arbys? Pfff.

Every real lifter knows KFC is where it's at...:burger:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I agree with everything except the genetics crap. I'm sorry. I think it's a bad excuse for failure or being afraid to try and possibly fail. I understand your point, but I won't accept it in my own head. There's always an answer, to me. There's always a way to get past the barrier. Google "myostatin".

I don't make excuses, by the way. I wouldn't be where I'm at right now in my life if all I did was make excuses. Too many people in my life say "I can't" when I damn well know they can. All the cousins in my family look up to me because I'm not afraid to say I can and at the same time push them to where I know they should be. My cousin...who could barely curl 15 pounds when he started, I coached him through everything, gave him the "eat a ****load of food" advice, and showed him the basic compound lifts and now he's benching 350+ pounds and he's only 5'1". I've helped quite a few of my friends get big, helped others lose weight, and I hear excuses from almost everyone in my life. So don't think I don't hear the excuses thing, but there are just simply limiting factors both in our lives and in our biology that can't be escaped. We just have to work with the most that we have access to and have been born with. There is no way around genetics. I'm not using that as a cop out, I don't make excuses in my life. I am the only one I can blame for my progress.

C.Pop
11-23-2007, 06:35 PM
google "myostatin".

That is irrelevant. Sure, myostatin has to do with genetics (right ballpark), but Rhodes is talking about regular people (you & me) overcoming less than stellar genetics to become great. Not once did he say that genetics have no bearing on a person's abilities. I've heard him reference great genetics before in conversation. It doesn't stop there though.

ANYONE can become VERY VERY GOOD. Maybe not world record holder, but pretty damn close. ANYONE, if they do it all right, can become competitive at a very high level.

Contrast this with small guys with small goals blaming genetics for a lack of success.

Genetics are the final say, but where they draw the line is so far down the road that you need not worry about it.

It sounds to me like you're being argumentative because you don't like Rhodes.

HahnB
11-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Careful Pop. Their gonna start to call you dumb. I know you're a mechanical engineer, but they don't know what that means. You'll be dumb and ignorant for believing that you can succeed with using excuses.

Being a mechanical engineer doesn't mean someone has common sense in all areas of life. Doctors are one of the most over confident people in the world, and it explains why there are studies done that show how much money they lose in the market-over confidence-go figure. This is what separates the smart from the appear-to-be-smart. The smart realize when they don't know what they're talking about.

Mr. C. Pop attempts to form his own opinions into facts and shows zero scientific evidence to support them, similar to what Rhodes does, and then expects everyone to believe them because they're strong-hence my earlier point about the real tragedy of this forum. I challenge Rhodes and C.pop to see the difference in what Scarz or myself is saying about genetics Vs. what they're claiming about genetics.

Slim Schaedle
11-23-2007, 06:41 PM
See to me that is an excuse. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to get your hands on whatever cocktail you "need." That's part of the doing whatever it takes to get there thing.

If you feel that way then take the drugs and find out.

My whole point was:

1. Like suits and shirts, drugs are often required.

2. Even with the above, it's not guaranteed (genetics)

I wasn't applying the examples to myself, if it came accross that way.

C.Pop
11-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Being a mechanical engineer doesn't mean someone has common sense in all areas of life.

Mr. C. Pop attempts to form his own opinions into facts and shows zero scientific evidence to support them, similar to what Rhodes does, and then expects everyone to believe them because they're strong-hence my earlier point about the real tragedy of this forum. I challenge Rhodes and C.pop to see the difference in what Scarz or myself is saying about genetics Vs. what they're claiming about genetics.

1: True, but can be downgraded to you being argumentative, because nothing in this conversation has to do with common sense. Especially your arguments, because you're arguing against people that have done what you say is not possible.

2: Give examples. What scientific facts have you presented? Not alluded to, not WILL reference, but what did you present? You can talk all day about the science, but the truth is that it's not all nailed down yet and any scientist worth a damn will say the same. There is a lot out there that isn't spoken for. As a science minded individual, I do tons of research. I've been stuck on the Russian training manuals for quite some time. I don't think that it's so much that I have no facts about genetics as that YOU have arrived at erronious conclusions. In other words, I agree with you about genetics being a strong limiting factor, but WHERE that factor kicks in, I disagree with. In addition to my learning, I also have experience. I would like to know what you have to bring to the table to meet that.

Don't be insulting, just tell me what you have.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Being a mechanical engineer doesn't mean someone has common sense in all areas of life. Doctors are one of the most over confident people in the world, and it explains why there are studies done that show how much money they lose in the market-over confidence-go figure. This is what separates the smart from the appear-to-be-smart. The smart realize when they don't know what they're talking about.

Oh my god! Read another book. Go look at another study. Weightlifting is not that hard. Why do you make it so hard? Go read a book and watch how much progress you don't make. Go cry that you have bad genetics and watch others blast right past you. I don't need studies to know that you have no clue about this stuff. You nit pick at things that don't matter, just so you can look smart. Dr's are arrogant so they screw up in the market. WHAT? What the F#$K are you babbling about? Science Science Science. Go get your favorite science book and put some weight on a bar. See how much it can lift. Dude, stop reading because you're going nowhere. Lift weights, not books. I may be a child, but you're just dumb. And there's no pill to cure stupid. I'm sorry to say that, but really?

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Google "myostatin".

I don't make excuses, by the way. I wouldn't be where I'm at right now in my life if all I did was make excuses. Too many people in my life say "I can't" when I damn well know they can. All the cousins in my family look up to me because I'm not afraid to say I can and at the same time push them to where I know they should be. My cousin...who could barely curl 15 pounds when he started, I coached him through everything, gave him the "eat a ****load of food" advice, and showed him the basic compound lifts and now he's benching 350+ pounds and he's only 5'1". I've helped quite a few of my friends get big, helped others lose weight, and I hear excuses from almost everyone in my life. So don't think I don't hear the excuses thing, but there are just simply limiting factors both in our lives and in our biology that can't be escaped. We just have to work with the most that we have access to and have been born with. There is no way around genetics. I'm not using that as a cop out, I don't make excuses in my life. I am the only one I can blame for my progress.

If I came off like I was saying you were making excuses, I was not. I was making a general statement. I hear so many excuses that I just can't deal. It starts to sound like the Charlie Brown parents.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 07:00 PM
1: True, but can be downgraded to you being argumentative, because nothing in this conversation has to do with common sense. Especially your arguments, because you're arguing against people that have done what you say is not possible.

2: Give examples. What scientific facts have you presented? Not alluded to, not WILL reference, but what did you present? You can talk all day about the science, but the truth is that it's not all nailed down yet and any scientist worth a damn will say the same. There is a lot out there that isn't spoken for. As a science minded individual, I do tons of research. I've been stuck on the Russian training manuals for quite some time. I don't think that it's so much that I have no facts about genetics as that YOU have arrived at erronious conclusions. In other words, I agree with you about genetics being a strong limiting factor, but WHERE that factor kicks in, I disagree with. In addition to my learning, I also have experience. I would like to know what you have to bring to the table to meet that.

Don't be insulting, just tell me what you have.

Pop, I've been asking the same thing. What have you done to back up your claims. Never an answer. Maybe you asked in a better way than I did. But, no one has been able to tell me exactly what you've just asked for. What have you done?

Torrok
11-23-2007, 08:41 PM
RHODEHOUSE, DOOD JUST DROP THE ARGUING, u and everyone else are acting like little cocky 4th graders....

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-23-2007, 09:39 PM
That is irrelevant. Sure, myostatin has to do with genetics (right ballpark), but Rhodes is talking about regular people (you & me) overcoming less than stellar genetics to become great. Not once did he say that genetics have no bearing on a person's abilities. I've heard him reference great genetics before in conversation. It doesn't stop there though.

ANYONE can become VERY VERY GOOD. Maybe not world record holder, but pretty damn close. ANYONE, if they do it all right, can become competitive at a very high level.

Contrast this with small guys with small goals blaming genetics for a lack of success.

Genetics are the final say, but where they draw the line is so far down the road that you need not worry about it.

It sounds to me like you're being argumentative because you don't like Rhodes.I can read, thanks.

Pop, I've been asking the same thing. What have you done to back up your claims. Never an answer. Maybe you asked in a better way than I did. But, no one has been able to tell me exactly what you've just asked for. What have you done?Why is that so important to you?

dusst
11-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Arbys? Pfff.

Every real lifter knows KFC is where it's at...:burger:

i gotta agree, kfc rocks i love the biscuts and mash potatos

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 12:44 AM
I want to know what people have done so I know if I should listen to them. I take advice from credible sources. If you haven't done something, you have no right to talk about it. I want to know what you've done because you constantly tell me how dumb and ignorant and useless I am. I've transformed my body from a skinny 185lb kid to a 300lb man. I must be stupid and have no idea how to do that. Genetics? I've come from a 330lb squat and 285lb bench as a D1 football player to a 930 squat and a 550 bench. I must not know anything about the body or how it works. Any dumbass can do that. Hell, my girlfriend in college outsquatted me. I've remained pretty lean as a result of my training. I must not know how to eat right, then.

Well, who are you? It only makes sense to me to take info from a reputable source. That's why a skinny guy can't tell me how to get big. That's why weak people can't tell me how to get strong. It's common sense, you'd think. But common sense is not common for everyone, apparently.:bash: If you don't like what I have to say, don't listen. You know you don't like my opinions. Why read my stuff, then? Who's the baby starting $hit?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 12:52 AM
<3

You're so great, Rhodes.

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 12:53 AM
You're preachin' to the choir

CrazyK
11-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Hey do you guys mind taking this to PM?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 01:20 AM
He does this in every thread. It's all over the forums. However, I'm done now. I'm guessing Rhodes will have the last word.

Chubrock
11-24-2007, 07:10 AM
He does this in every thread.

You started **** in this thread first. Don't try and turn it around so it falls on Rhode's shoulders.

Chubrock
11-24-2007, 07:11 AM
RHODEHOUSE, DOOD JUST DROP THE ARGUING, u and everyone else are acting like little cocky 4th graders....

If you don't like the thread, stay out.

Jonah
11-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Google "myostatin".

Have you hit your genetic limit already?

Do you know exactly when you will hit your genetic limit?

Picking out, or picking on, a very successful lifter/bodybuilder and saying "I'll never get to that level," isn't someone who has hit or knows when they'll hit their genetic limit. If we had that kinda hindsight all of this would be a lot easier. We'd just lift and compete until we "knew" when to stop and then stop.

Instead we bang our head into the wall, push ourselves past what we previously thought possible, which builds confidence in our abilities, and repeat. Genetic walls are like pornogrophy, you'll know it when you hit it.

People who want to achieve a goal despite physical, mental, or "genetic" limitations are willing to do more, try more, and yes even venture into what some like to call the "darkside." And people do this all the time in all sorts of ways.

But since you've judged yourself to have the civility of a person who has the right to call out a nationally ranked competitive powerlifter and expect that justice has somehow been done in this make believe world we call the internet please show your infinite mercy and compassion o wise one for what I am about to say.

GO **** YOURSELF

Arby's is good but I wish they'd put a chick fil'e or a waffle house in New England.

Chubrock
11-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Ya'll boys from South Side are friggin awesome. Jonah, you need to take a trip down this way. Ya'll don't have the luxury of the greatness known as Bojangles. Oh My God. Sooo good.

Holto
11-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I want to know what people have done so I know if I should listen to them.

All of the intermediate and above lifters on the forum have done the following:

1) Gotten stronger
2) Gained lean mass
3) Lost fat
4) Learned about the body by reading

This qualifies them to give advice re: 1-3. Your making it sound like until they can squat over 700lbs that they aren't qualified to give advice. What is your cut off? Do they have to be over 275? You tell us. If that's not what you're saying what then are you saying?

Holto
11-24-2007, 12:10 PM
But since you've judged yourself to have the civility of a person who has the right to call out a nationally ranked competitive powerlifter.

This is wannabebig, any poster has the right to call out any poster. We don't have a ranking system.

So tell us (in your mind), what would are the credentials required to call out a nationally ranked competitive powerlifter?

How many points or whatever do we need?

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 01:47 PM
All of the intermediate and above lifters on the forum have done the following:

1) Gotten stronger
2) Gained lean mass
3) Lost fat
4) Learned about the body by reading

This qualifies them to give advice re: 1-3. Your making it sound like until they can squat over 700lbs that they aren't qualified to give advice. What is your cut off? Do they have to be over 275? You tell us. If that's not what you're saying what then are you saying?

Those accomplishments are great. No one has to squat 700 if they don't want to. However, any jackass can give advice/bad advice on the net. What have you (anyone) done to be an "expert" as everyone seems to be? Would you listen to Ronnie Coleman if he wasn't the greatest BBer of our time? What if he was just nother dude on this forum? Why do people buy his DVD's and read his stuff? Because he's done something. He's succeeded at his quest. Why do I listen to Dave and Jim? Because they've succeeded at what they set out to do. Now, I know you'll say that everyone on this board has succeeded in their quests, to some extent. I don't doubt that, but just getting stronger? That's a side effect of lifting weights. Even if your goal is not to get stronger, you will. It's the nature of weightlifting. Losing BF/getting leaner. Anyone can do that. It's not that hard. Reading? Awesome. Who did they read? Were the authors successful in BBing or PLing or fitness in general? Anyone can write a book. Is the info credible? Who's the source? Or, do you take everything you read at face value because it's in a book? I've read more stuff than I care to remember. Taking the advice of those that have been there has been more beneficial than any book I've ever read. I've read Supertraining 3 times. I've read The Science and Practice of Strength Training. I've read all kinds of article and books about eating, dieting, training. No book taught me how to achieve my goals. People who've spent time under the bar are the best resources. Not books. Instead of spending hard earned money on books, you should spend some time finding training partners that have succeeded in your area of interest. People spend so much time looking for pwerfect training plans, the perfect diet, and not nearly enough time looking for those in their area that have been there. If no one is in your area, travel. I lived in MA when I drove to Ohio to go to Westside. I learned more talking to Louie Simmons after a workout than I did reading that book 3 times. I learned more about bench pressing, just watching Vincent Dizenzo. Before I moved to CT, I drove 2 hours each way to train with Vincent. No book could teach me what that experience taught me. I guess I just understood that real live people are a much better resource than a piece of paper written by someone who may, or may not have done anything in terms of real world experience.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Have you hit your genetic limit already?

Do you know exactly when you will hit your genetic limit?

Picking out, or picking on, a very successful lifter/bodybuilder and saying "I'll never get to that level," isn't someone who has hit or knows when they'll hit their genetic limit. If we had that kinda hindsight all of this would be a lot easier. We'd just lift and compete until we "knew" when to stop and then stop.

Instead we bang our head into the wall, push ourselves past what we previously thought possible, which builds confidence in our abilities, and repeat. Genetic walls are like pornogrophy, you'll know it when you hit it.

People who want to achieve a goal despite physical, mental, or "genetic" limitations are willing to do more, try more, and yes even venture into what some like to call the "darkside." And people do this all the time in all sorts of ways.

But since you've judged yourself to have the civility of a person who has the right to call out a nationally ranked competitive powerlifter and expect that justice has somehow been done in this make believe world we call the internet please show your infinite mercy and compassion o wise one for what I am about to say.

GO **** YOURSELF

Arby's is good but I wish they'd put a chick fil'e or a waffle house in New England.Huh? Who are you talking to? I never said anything about me hitting a genetic limit. I'm working through a shattered knee I just had surgery on. If I did not have surgery, I'd be in a wheel chair in about two years. I see guys at the gym with only one leg and one prosthetic pumping out reps on the squat. Those people inspire me. I don't care if you're Superman. If you're a jack ass, nobody wants to listen to you. You'll learn this in life if you haven't already. I know because I've been a jack ass many times. :hello: You're a class act, really. By the way...if you're strong...AND humble...now there's someone to admire. But if you're just going to be a dilweed and treat others like crap simply because they lift less than you or have different goals than you...how is that productive? Get a life, dude.

However, any jackass can give advice/bad advice on the net.That's certainly true...and yet you assume everyone here is a jack ass giving bad advice. You don't know anything about anyone here, despite how much you'd like to think so.

People who've spent time under the bar are the best resources. Not books. Instead of spending hard earned money on books, you should spend some time finding training partners that have succeeded in your area of interest.You'll probably bash Bill Starr. By the way, did it ever occur to you that perhaps we want to learn more than just lifting? Perhaps having well-rounded knowledge about how the body works and about nutrition? Why does that desire anger you so much? Did someone beat you with books as a child and you're now getting your revenge on books?

Everyone here has been under the bar. What are you getting at? Do you think nobody here lifts or something? We have all spent years getting to know our own bodies and taking advice from experienced powerlifters and bodybuilders (this site sponsors quite a few of them) and experts in the field of human kinesiology/nutrition/physiology/etc...

You're not telling us anything we don't know. All you do is try to make your place as a bad ass on an internet forum by belittling others and constantly trying to remind everyone how awesome your accomplishments are, and yet all you do is insult others and regurgitate information that's been on this site for years. We are all learning, growing, sharing experiences, and achieving our goals. You are bashing others, calling them nobodys, telling everyone they don't have the right to tell anyone else their advice/experiences except you because you're "elite" and yet you haven't given anyone any new advice that can't be found in the stickies of this site. Yeah, you're a big help. :rolleyes:

Chickenlegs
11-24-2007, 02:32 PM
This is entertaining. Both sides are making valid points.

fat guys -- 5 pts

lean guys-- 5 pts

:lurk:

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Huh? Who are you talking to? I never said anything about me hitting a genetic limit. I'm working through a shattered knee I just had surgery on. If I did not have surgery, I'd be in a wheel chair in about two years. I see guys at the gym with only one leg and one prosthetic pumping out reps on the squat. Those people inspire me. I don't care if you're Superman. If you're a jack ass, nobody wants to listen to you. You'll learn this in life if you haven't already. I know because I've been a jack ass many times. :hello: You're a class act, really. By the way...if you're strong...AND humble...now there's someone to admire. But if you're just going to be a dilweed and treat others like crap simply because they lift less than you or have different goals than you...how is that productive? Get a life, dude.

That's certainly true...and yet you assume everyone here is a jack ass giving bad advice. You don't know anything about anyone here, despite how much you'd like to think so.

You'll probably bash Bill Starr.

Everyone here has been under the bar. What are you getting at? Do you think nobody here lifts or something? We have all spent years getting to know our own bodies and taking advice from experienced lifters and experts in the field of human kinesiology/nutrition/physiology/etc...

You're not tell us anything we don't know. All you do is try to make your place as a bad ass on an internet forum by belittling others and constantly trying to remind everyone how awesome your accomplishments are, and yet all you do is bash others and regurgitate information that's been on this site for years. We are all learning, growing, sharing experiences, and achieving our goals. You are bashing others, calling them nobodys, telling everyone they don't have the right to tell anyone else their advice/experiences except you because you're "elite" and yet you haven't given anyone any new advice that can't be found in the stickies of this site. Yeah, you're a big help. :rolleyes:

You have already told me the same stuff you just wrote. I don't belittle anyone for no reason. I say it how I see it. If that hurts someone's feelings, too bad. You've belittled me more than anything I've said to anyone. Somehow, you find it ok to do that, but I'm the jackass? F%^king hipocrit.

The only people I call nobodies are the ones that are up my ass all the time. You, Holto, and Hahn. You guys are always bashing me, regardless of what I say. All I've been asking is, what knowledge do you have that gives you the right to bash me? I say my peace, and one of you 3 always have to come in and bash my thoughts.

I'm pretty sure you guys are gay for me. It's the only explanation for your facination with bashing me. You guys are like the stalkers that want to kill their favorite actors. You guys don't live in or near CT, do you? Maybe I should move.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I say it how I see it.And what you see is seriously obscured from the confines of reality.

You've belittled me more than anything I've said to anyone. Somehow, you find it ok to do that, but I'm the jackass? F%^king hipocrit.I'm responding to the way you're treating others.

You guys are always bashing me, regardless of what I say.No, you call people punk bitches, you tell them to suck a dick, and various other fun things. You don't do this to a choice few. You've done this to a lot of people. You do it so much that you can't even keep track of it. Now you're the one making excuses to justify yourself. Good job.

What do you think gives you the right to call anyone a nobody? Who do you think you are judging people that way? Are you for real or are you just asinine?

I'm pretty sure you guys are gay for me.This is the peak of your intelligence right here. The forte of your communicative skills. Yes, I'm gay. Make love to me, Rhodes. Now are you going to bash gay people?

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 02:49 PM
And what you see is seriously obscured from the confines of reality.

I'm responding to the way you're treating others.

No, you call people punk bitches, you tell them to suck a dick, and various other fun things. You don't do this to a choice few. You've done this to a lot of people. You do it so much that you can't even keep track of it. Now you're the one making excuses to justify yourself. Good job.

What do you think gives you the right to call anyone a nobody? Who do you think you are judging people that way? Are you for real or are you just asinine?

This is the peak of your intelligence right here. The forte of your communicative skills. Yes, I'm gay. Make love to me, Rhodes. Now are you going to bash gay people?

So, you're the defender of everyone's honor on here? Good for you.

I like gay people. They know who they are and make no excuses for it. That's a pretty cool thing.

And, it's the same people every time. I'm not making any excuses for myself. It's the same guys that have something to say to me.

Who am I? You know me. Who are you?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm just me. You're just you. I know who I am as well and don't make excuses for it. I just fail to see your need to belittle people in the worst ways...and when you say you don't care what anyone thinks, then why do you write novel-length responses?

Chubrock
11-24-2007, 02:59 PM
You're not telling us anything we don't know. All you do is try to make your place as a bad ass on an internet forum by belittling others and constantly trying to remind everyone how awesome your accomplishments are, and yet all you do is insult others and regurgitate information that's been on this site for years. We are all learning, growing, sharing experiences, and achieving our goals. You are bashing others, calling them nobodys, telling everyone they don't have the right to tell anyone else their advice/experiences except you because you're "elite" and yet you haven't given anyone any new advice that can't be found in the stickies of this site. Yeah, you're a big help. :rolleyes:

Holy ****. You just now get this? Rhodes has said this exact thing in several different threads. There's no big secret to training. The stuff that worked 100yrs ago, still works today.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Holy ****. You just now get this? Rhodes has said this exact thing in several different threads. There's no big secret to training. The stuff that worked 100yrs ago, still works today.Guys weren't squatting 1000+ pounds 100 years ago, so they must not have known what they were doing by Rhodes' logic.

There's no big secret to training? Not everyone knows about the basics and overcomplicates things by reading horrible things muscle mags and watching crap on TV. That's what makes it "secretive". Otherwise, everyone in the gym would be ripped.

I don't even see the point of your post. Are you a Rhodes groupie or something?

Keith
11-24-2007, 03:25 PM
This is entertaining. Both sides are making valid points.

fat guys -- 5 pts

lean guys-- 5 pts

:withstupi:

Chubrock
11-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't even see the point of your post. Are you a Rhodes groupie or something?

If I was, would it make you angry? Would it make you hurt deep down inside? Maybe evoke some mommy/daddy issues?

Jonah
11-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Ya'll boys from South Side are friggin awesome. Jonah, you need to take a trip down this way. Ya'll don't have the luxury of the greatness known as Bojangles. Oh My God. Sooo good.

I went to a Bojangles when I was on my way down to a rugby tournament in college. Good stuff man!

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm just me. You're just you. I know who I am as well and don't make excuses for it. I just fail to see your need to belittle people in the worst ways...and when you say you don't care what anyone thinks, then why do you write novel-length responses?

I like writing. i was good at it in college. And, I like to read my own work. I'm terribly arrogant and egotistical.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm terribly arrogant and egotistical.Well as long as you realize it, we're fine. =P

mikey4402
11-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Mikey just ate an Arbys melt.

Close this thread blah

McIrish
11-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Before this thread DOES get closed, I want to pose an entirely honest question for you, Rhodes. Allow me to preface this by saying that I respect your powerlifting abilities and I think that your bench/deadlift/squat numbers are great.

That being said, I am not interested in powerlifting. Before the flame police come and get me, I do incorporate heavy powerlifting into my weight-lifting routine, but it is more to encourage muscle growth than to compete at heaving monstrous amounts of iron. My goals are increased strength, increased athletic ability (I play recreational basketball and lacrosse), and most importantly, a decent physique. Mind you, my current idea of decent physique is somewhere around 180, 8-11% bf. I feel like that physique would require a minimum of commitment to maintain and would look good (if not bodybuilding-competition-awesome) year round.

Here is my question - at 5'10, 175 lbs, and 12-13% bf (and making GRADUAL upward progress on the weight), should I eat the same way you do? In fact, need I *ever* eat McDonald's/Arby's/Taco Bell to get calories?

The answer, in my mind, is "OF COURSE NOT." Sure, I can have a piece of cheesecake here or there and not feel guilty about it (variety is, as they say, the spice of life), but I find it personally more fulfilling to eat chicken/salmon/broccoli/quinoa all day than Baconators and Bako Shakes. I have accepted that I will gain weight at a slower clip, but come next spring, when I need to shed a few pounds of winter fat to get ready to put on a bathing suit, you can darn well bet that I will be thanking myself for making that choice.

Anyhow, back to my question - in the spirit of friendly discussion, would you ever counsel someone in my specific situation to eat like a hoss? It doesn't make sense to me.

Chubrock
11-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Here is my question - at 5'10, 175 lbs, and 12-13% bf (and making GRADUAL upward progress on the weight), should I eat the same way you do? In fact, need I *ever* eat McDonald's/Arby's/Taco Bell to get calories?

You wanted Rhode's opinion, so I'll let him answer, but I will say this. He has never said that everybody should pull in insane amounts of calories, eat like **** all the time, or that you NEED junk food in order to make gains...

Edit: He posted his diet awhile back and there was like one meal where he ate ****ty. A lot of people are seeing his advice but not actually reading it.

McIrish
11-25-2007, 02:36 PM
You wanted Rhode's opinion, so I'll let him answer, but I will say this. He has never said that everybody should pull in insane amounts of calories, eat like **** all the time, or that you NEED junk food in order to make gains...

Chub, allow me to quote Rhodes' exact post from earlier this discussion.

Now, I do not dispute the claim that "the muscle doesn't get soft...you put on some fat." I think we're all in agreement on this one.

However, I take issue at the following idea - "some bad food makes the process easier and more effective." The question we then have to ask becomes - "WHAT PROCESS ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?"

For Rhodes, I am guessing the "process" is to put on a ton of muscle and put on a ton of weight on the bar. I fully respect that, and like I said in my previous post, Rhodes has a helluva strong powerlifting ability.

However, for myself, the "process" is not to maximize weight on the bar, but to look good naked. I don't want to look good naked in 12 months. I want to look good naked RIGHT NOW. Therefore, I have a far lower threshold for acceptable fat gain in the meantime. Yes, I have consigned myself to slower muscle growth, but by the same token, I aim to put on less fat at the same time. Sure, I won't be a hoss, but my slow-but-steady gains are fiiiiiine by me. Therefore, FOR ME, bad food definitely does NOT "make the process easier and more effective."

I'll let Rhodes tackle any of these questions, but really I think he and I have different goals. This is fine, mind you, but we're obviously going to use different means to achieve them. You don't use a hammer to screw nails, etc.

RhodeHouse
11-25-2007, 11:12 PM
You answered your own question. Don't eat bad food if you don't want to. No problem. My ideas are based more for the people who claim they can't gain weight or want to get huge. Fat gain is a side effect of gaining any appreciable muscle.

As far as eating bad food - your caloric requirements are so low at 175lbs that you can get away with eating clean all the time.

As far as your goal of 8-10% BF with little commitment. I'm not sure why people think 8-10% is easy to attain. Hell, people on here think I'm fat and I'm about 18%. 8-10% BF is not an easy goal. It takes a lot of discipline and commitment.

The coolest thing that's happened to me as I've gotten bigger is, more girls want me. It's crazy. I used to be the guy with abs (250lbs) and all lean and gay looking. More girls like me now that I'm over 300lbs. And, at the beach, there are a million guys that look like you. When my fat ass walks down the beach, EVERYONE takes notice. My conclusion - girls don't care how big or small you are. They like to feel safe and protected. And, personality wins out every time. If it doesn't, she's a bitch and you don't need her.

Eat how you want to. Look the way you want to. Whatever makes you happy. I like being big. This is the most beautiful physique I've ever seen. This is what jacked is all about.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YZOF7Hirc1M

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-25-2007, 11:17 PM
^^

I agree (yes, that's what I said... the apocalypse is near, I know).

Keith
11-26-2007, 11:57 AM

Good god, his traps are just sick!!

HP666
11-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Good god, his traps are just sick!!

Yeah, those are almost inhuman!!!

Con
11-26-2007, 03:57 PM
You answered your own question. Don't eat bad food if you don't want to. No problem. My ideas are based more for the people who claim they can't gain weight or want to get huge. Fat gain is a side effect of gaining any appreciable muscle.

As far as eating bad food - your caloric requirements are so low at 175lbs that you can get away with eating clean all the time.

As far as your goal of 8-10% BF with little commitment. I'm not sure why people think 8-10% is easy to attain. Hell, people on here think I'm fat and I'm about 18%. 8-10% BF is not an easy goal. It takes a lot of discipline and commitment.

The coolest thing that's happened to me as I've gotten bigger is, more girls want me. It's crazy. I used to be the guy with abs (250lbs) and all lean and gay looking. More girls like me now that I'm over 300lbs. And, at the beach, there are a million guys that look like you. When my fat ass walks down the beach, EVERYONE takes notice. My conclusion - girls don't care how big or small you are. They like to feel safe and protected. And, personality wins out every time. If it doesn't, she's a bitch and you don't need her.

Eat how you want to. Look the way you want to. Whatever makes you happy. I like being big. This is the most beautiful physique I've ever seen. This is what jacked is all about.

I wanted to stay ouy of the debate, for several reasons but I will say this:

This makes a bunch of sense right there and probably clears up a lot of the misinterpretations about your views.

I particularly likes the last part. Be who you want to be. Plain and simple.

McIrish
11-26-2007, 06:00 PM

I like the bolded portions. Amen to those - and you are entirely correct, I bulk somewhere in the low-to-mid 3000's, so bulking for me is not a hard thing to do at all. Heck, a bako shake would be almost a day's allotment of cals...

Anyhow, look the way you want to. That's a great sentiment. Believe me, I used to be obsessed with abs (and I was 5'10'', 140-150 for the longest time for that reason), but since letting myself out of THAT trapped mindset I've not only put on a ton of weight (20-30 lbs over three years) but I think I look way better. Abs be damned, I'd rather be a little thicker right now :)

EDIT: Oh, and bf is so relative that my saying "I would like to be 11% bf with little commitment" might be something incredibly hard for you to achieve while it is something that I could slack and still obtain. I'm skinny - that's the nature of the beast. Conversely, I couldn't get up to 300 without some serious joint problems. Everyone has their strengths...