PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift PR

BFGUITAR
11-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Well I started deadlifting sumo style and I must say, it feels a lot more natural that conventional. I hit SOLID PR of 320 compared to my incredibly half assed 315 before. It took me a month and a bit to go up 5 pounds but thats because I had to get used to sumo.

I cant see myself going back to conventional any time soon :)

whiteman90909
11-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Sumo is awsome. Good job, but I still switch back and forth because in my mind, since regular is harder, it must be a weakness, and I wont stand to have any weak lifts...

RedSpikeyThing
11-19-2007, 07:35 PM
nice pull! I haven't pulled sumo in a while...maybe I'll give it a shot again :)

Sidior
11-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Nice lifting man! You using a belt yet?

BFGUITAR
11-19-2007, 10:49 PM
No belt yet, is it really worth an investment?

Sidior
11-19-2007, 10:50 PM
No belt yet, is it really worth an investment?

If you are specifically powerlifting now then it absolutely is!

deeder
11-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Nice work on the PR! Sumo deadlifting is awesome but it beats the hell out of my hips :(

BFGUITAR
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
I dont know, I feel as if my lifts are too weak to justify a belt. Or am I looking at the belt the wrong way?

jtteg_x
11-19-2007, 11:55 PM
congrats. but do incorporate conventional pulling occasionally.

what is your bw?

Sidior
11-20-2007, 12:20 AM
I dont know, I feel as if my lifts are too weak to justify a belt. Or am I looking at the belt the wrong way?

I think so. It is a training aid, not a crutch which gives you X number of pounds once you have a particular big 3 total.

deeder
11-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Wearing your belt on a loose setting can be an awesome way to learn to really push your belly out during squats and deadlifts. And when you crank it on tight you'll probably get a few extra pounds out of your lifts :) No reason not to get one!

garjagan
11-20-2007, 02:37 AM
I feel exactly the same BF. I hit a pr of 308 last monday conventional but did most of the lift straight legged and with my back which wasnt pretty.

So this monday I tried a sumo PR and got 340 which I pulled straight up, the only thing that would've stopped me putting a little more weight on was my grip, I felt the bar prizing my fingers open. I feel much stronger spread out with my arms between my legs. I'm a big sumo fan. I love the way the knees are out of the way and you can concentrate on just trying to make your neck explode.

Just gotta get the squat and bench to catch up now.

BFGUITAR
11-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Im 178 pounds.
Ill look into a good leather belt.

deeder
11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Im 178 pounds.
Ill look into a good leather belt.

Here' what you need! (http://www.inzernet.com/search_results_belts.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=8&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1)

BFGUITAR
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.inzernet.com/detail_econobelt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ECON_POWER_BELT

How does this one look?

RedSpikeyThing
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM

I thought the same thing. Then I tried a belt and bought one 2 weeks later. I use it only when I'm lifting ~90%+, or will be working close to failure.

RedSpikeyThing
11-20-2007, 11:56 AM

How does this one look?

I have the same one. It's great. You might want to try a few on, since diffrent styles feel different. Dotmar athletics in Mississauga has a good selection.

jtteg_x
11-20-2007, 12:07 PM
go with single prong. you'll thank me if you dont.
keep in mind, inzer also offers the belt in soft leather material. those are much more comfortable and adapts to your body quicker.

BFGUITAR
11-20-2007, 06:28 PM
What's good about single prong?

elitepler
11-20-2007, 07:11 PM
when your trying to get it tight, it can be a bitch to get that second prong, single prong holds just as well and it easier to get tight/on quickly. Sounds like not a big deal, but when your all wrapped up and ready to lift, you don't need to be screwing with your belt. The lever belt is even better, super fast and can be really cinched down. All of Inzers belts are top quality, I would go with a 10mm if I was just training and a 13mm if your going to compete. All of Inzers belts have a lifetime guarentee, and they honor it very well.

BFGUITAR
11-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Ive heard a lot of people mention inzer.
I heard the lever belts werent very good, I dont know but I just got that impression from others.

So than whats a good single pronged belt for my purposes that wont leave a hole in my wallet?

deeder
11-20-2007, 11:34 PM

How does this one look?

That's the belt I have :) I've had it for about a year and a half and it's still in great shape.

As far as single prong, double prong, or lever. Go with whatever you want.

Single prong - Easy(er?) to get on that double prong, can easily use varying levels of tightness during training.

Double prong - I've never had much trouble getting it on tight and someone usually helps me at a competition anyway... Again, it's also easy to use varying levels of tightness during training.

Lever - Can get it tight as ****! Quick on and off. A PITA to have to pull out a screwdriver (or penny :p) every time you want to have it looser or tighter for a set during training.