PDA

View Full Version : Giving this a go...

Hatred
11-20-2007, 01:12 PM
I've always trained like a powerlifter but never focused.
I'm finding that the satisfaction that comes from setting a goal, nailing it and moving on to the next is what I need now to focus in the gym and be happy.
I'm starting off with the following lifts.
Raw bench 365
Raw Conventional Deadlift 505
Squat (belt) 405
I'm 6'0" 254

I've worked around a lower back injury for some time and have built my squat back up to where it is now. I'd like to get it back up to 500 and beyond.

I'm forgetting everything I know and starting over in this section of the forum a complete newb. I may participate in a meet... who knows. For now I'm putting on weight so I might as well make the most of it.

Chubrock
11-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Hellz yea.

garjagan
11-20-2007, 01:26 PM
This is definately a more productive forum section. Less filler.

All the best with those goals.

mickyjune26
11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
tear it up hatred. You got it in you from what I've seen around here.

Hatred
11-20-2007, 02:12 PM
This is definately a more productive forum section. Less filler.

All the best with those goals.

Goals?
Them's my current lifts there broseph.
My goals are:
a 405 bench.
600 deadlift.
500 squat.

Chubrock
11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
So have you thought about what kind've split you want to follow?

Hatred
11-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Anything worth doing is worth doing well. I see Westside thrown around a lot and well. hell I might as wel try that.

I really have NO idea. I'm reading all this crap about bands and boards and foam and I feel like I did almost 10,000 posts ago. lol

So do people really use BOARDS on their chest?
God i'm so ignorant.

Chubrock
11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Some people swear by doing board presses. Others swear by just doing a lot of floor presses or CGBP. The Westside methods have worked for plenty of people. Give them a shot. Do a lot of reading over at EliteFTS. They've got a couple of "Intro to WS" articles.

elitepler
11-20-2007, 03:27 PM
boards are more for shirted benchers as most people that bench raw do not get stuck at the top, but off the chest. Bands and chains will give accomadating resistence which can lead to raw gains. As you get stronger leverage wise in the lift more weight is added to the bar, thus working you harder throught the whole lift.

westside can easily be adapted for raw lifters...

Hatred
11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Appreciate the input. It's not in my nature to do anything half assed which means I'll compete.

Most likely I will get a shirt and stuff in the future.

Chubrock
11-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Hell yea, that's what I like to hear. One thing you'll need to adjust is the level of volume you use. There for awhile you were using, or seemed to be using an asston of volume. You won't be able to get away with that when you're doing a lot of singles, doubles and triples.

Hatred
11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I've noticed. I'm doing less and getting more. Hence the desire to switch it up.

I'm actually very stoekd about the whole thing. I'm going to make an attempt at a speed day tonight and see how it goes.

Chubrock
11-20-2007, 07:43 PM
On top of working on generating some speed, make sure to use this day to really refine some technique. What was top notch when you were lifting purely for size may not be the most efficient when lifting for numbers.

bill
11-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I think more people should do PL, even if you want to be a bodybuilder. You still hit all of the bodyparts so there shouldn't be imbalances. I think people would grow more just from actually setting PR's and trying to increase lifts. I remember doing db shoulder press w/70's forever, just because they felt heavy enough.

mickyjune26
11-20-2007, 10:06 PM
You may want to record your lifts when working on form and get some advice from some of the long-time PL'rs around here. Look forward to seeing your posts. good luck.

drew
11-21-2007, 06:06 AM
We finally got you. I was wondering when you'd come around.

Westside is a great template. Don't worry about chains and bands yet, but boards are great, especially if you're going to be benching with a shirt. If you have access to a reverse hyper, start usnig it, it will bring your lower back way back up to par.

garjagan
11-21-2007, 07:10 AM
Goals?
Them's my current lifts there broseph.
My goals are:
a 405 bench.
600 deadlift.
500 squat.

Ahh, my mistake. Should've probably guessed that from yuor avatar picture alone.

I'd certainly call that a good foot in the door for switching to powerlifting training!

Hatred
11-21-2007, 10:00 AM
We finally got you. I was wondering when you'd come around.

Westside is a great template. Don't worry about chains and bands yet, but boards are great, especially if you're going to be benching with a shirt. If you have access to a reverse hyper, start usnig it, it will bring your lower back way back up to par.

It was only a matter of time. I haven't tackled anything new for fun for awhile now. I'm looking forward to squatting heavy again.

chris mason
11-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Cool! Hatred, follow a basic Wetside template to start.

bigbadwolfe
11-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Hey shoot me an email and I can help get your bench set up going, as for my squats and deads well we will just say I bench more then those to combined :)

Wolfy!!!!

bigbadwolfe900@yahoo.com