PDA

View Full Version : Anyone plan on buying this?

Slim Schaedle
11-20-2007, 09:42 PM
http://proteinbook.lylemcdonald.com/

mikey4402
11-20-2007, 10:35 PM
You should buy it for me, it would be a nice birthday gift.
Ohh yay its midnight, happy birthday to me!!!

seriously though, it looks like an intresting read

Cirino83
11-21-2007, 07:59 AM
I'll probably eventually pick it up. All Lyle's books are awesome reads, although some disagree seeing he isn't huge, move big weights and didn't practice what he preached. ;)

Keith
11-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I am. Looks like a good read, just like the rest of his books.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 08:54 AM
I'll probably eventually pick it up. All Lyle's books are awesome reads, although some disagree seeing he isn't huge, move big weights and didn't practice what he preached. ;)

I agree. Little people can't tell big people how to get big. Depending on how thick the book is, I might be able to use it when I board press.

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I agree. Little people can't tell big people how to get big. Depending on how thick the book is, I might be able to use it when I board press.

So all the pencil-neck nerdy lab-rat scientist dorks who actually figured out what protein does way back when should not pass that on to the guys who could use that to their benefit?

Lyle was/is training to be an olympic speed skater.

He also competed in powerlifting in the past, I believe.

brihead301
11-21-2007, 10:02 AM
I can tell a big guy how to get bigger - eat lots of stuff, and lift lots of heavy things.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
So all the pencil-neck nerdy lab-rat scientist dorks who actually figured out what protein does way back when should not pass that on to the guys who could use that to their benefit?

Lyle was/is training to be an olympic speed skater.

He also competed in powerlifting in the past, I believe.

Everybody in weightlifting knows to eat lots of protein. We all know that protein is the building block of muscle. We all know that you should get at least your bodyweight in grams per day. Why wouldn't you spend that time figuring out your training plan or goals? Why wouldn't you spend that time training? Do what you will with my board press book. When I get a tidbit of good info, I use it. The world loves to make this stuff harder than it really is.

Con
11-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Probably next month. I already bought two books, and have plenty of other stuff to read in the meantime.

arnoldsclone
11-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I am going to buy that now that i know it exists!

RedSpikeyThing
11-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Everybody in weightlifting knows to eat lots of protein. We all know that protein is the building block of muscle. We all know that you should get at least your bodyweight in grams per day.

Which you wouldn't know if it wasn't for the pencil-neck nerdy lab-rat scientist dorks who figured it out in the forst place.

RhodeHouse
11-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Which you wouldn't know if it wasn't for the pencil-neck nerdy lab-rat scientist dorks who figured it out in the forst place.

i actually listened to the jacked up guys in my gym when I was a kid. That pratice seems to be lost nowadays.

Read the book written by George Hackenschmidt. I forget the name of it. I'll look for it and try to post the link. Back in 1907 he wrote stuff that people seem to think is groundbreaking today. Pencil-neck geeks are cool, because I was one. But, they have no place in weightlifting.

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Pencil-neck geeks are cool, because I was one. But, they have no place in weightlifting.

How about the docs that repair and rehab mangled knees, yet who have never stepped under the rack themsleves?

Slim Schaedle
11-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Pencil-neck geeks are cool, because I was one. But, they have no place in weightlifting.

Do you use Nitrean?

CrazyK
11-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Pencil-neck geeks are cool, because I was one. But, they have no place in weightlifting.I'd have to disagree with you on that one. How many head NFL or NCAA even made it to the pro's, and for a lot of them even was a starter in college? Bobby Bowden was a scrub player, Mike Riley sat on the bench at Alabama, Mike Holmgren never played a down in the NFL. Yet these men can teach and understand football like no other. I think a similar analogy can be used to lifting weights.

Vapour Trails
11-23-2007, 03:32 PM
I've already ordered it.

The ignorance displayed in this thread is why I only come here to kill time at work. Why make things complicated by reading a book when you are a moron....I agree completely.

Torrok
11-23-2007, 04:08 PM
i actually listened to the jacked up guys in my gym when I was a kid. That pratice seems to be lost nowadays.

and how the crap do you think they learned?????

Slim Schaedle
11-23-2007, 07:33 PM
I've already ordered it.

The ignorance displayed in this thread is why I only come here to kill time at work. Why make things complicated by reading a book when you are a moron....I agree completely.

Makes ya appreciate the discussions on Lyle's site so much more, doesn't it.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 07:51 PM
How about the docs that repair and rehab mangled knees, yet who have never stepped under the rack themsleves?

It's unrelated. The doc is the master of fixing the body. Not lifting.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd have to disagree with you on that one. How many head NFL or NCAA even made it to the pro's, and for a lot of them even was a starter in college? Bobby Bowden was a scrub player, Mike Riley sat on the bench at Alabama, Mike Holmgren never played a down in the NFL. Yet these men can teach and understand football like no other. I think a similar analogy can be used to lifting weights.

Football and weightlifting are 2 different animals. Teaching football and playing it are completely different. i see where you're going, but having played and coached, it's completely different than lifting, IMO.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 07:55 PM
and how the crap do you think they learned?????

I'm pretty sure 100 years ago, when George Hackenschmidt rote a graet book, docs weren't doing studies on protein affects on the weightlifter. Good ole George actuall ymade a comment similar to mine. People who haven't done it have no right to talk about it. I'll find the quote. It's good.

RhodeHouse
11-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I've already ordered it.

The only ignorance being displayed is by those that make eating out to be more than it is.

The reason I keep things so simple, is because most of us on here, if not all of us, are not even close to a level where absolute nutrtional precision is needed. It's like starting a rock band and not having a bass, drums, or lead guitar. You all want to use the bells and whistles before you have the foundation set in motion. Bells and whistles sound pretty stupid without the bass, drums, and lead guitar. But, I guess that's too easy to understand so we should over-complicate it some more.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Is that all you do is strike up bull**** in every thread? Is this going to turn into pages of you asking what everyone's experience is and telling them how awesome you are while simultaneously giving utterly stupid examples about rock bands to try and restate the same thing you're saying in almost every single thread? Could you perhaps start up your own thread stating your experiences and actually adding something to this community? You're an experienced powerlifter. Start stemming from there, but quit saying the same **** about you and your accomplishments and how everyone is inferior to you. It's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen hit these forums in years.

All Slim did was ask who's going to get the book stated in the original post. What did you do? You blew the train off its track with the nuke known as your ego.

What's your opinion on Lyle, Rhodes?

The only ignorance being displayed is by those that make eating out to be more than it is. You seem to be the only one who has issues with everyone's diet. You're not adding anything. We already know eating big makes you big. There's stickies with diets dedicated to eating a bunch of food to get big. I'm sure you'll stumble upon it if you spent your time searching this site. You'll realize you've said nothing new that we don't already know. No wait, I'll just post a link because I know you won't search ~> The Big Boy's Menu Plan (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78823)

Gee, your "advice" seems pretty much like...nothing new? So quit saying the crap we already know in every thread. The motto here for years has seemed to be "eat big and lift heavy". Where does your advice fit into this that provides anything groundbreaking? Hint: nowhere.

I agree. Little people can't tell big people how to get big. Depending on how thick the book is, I might be able to use it when I board press.You're so clueless that you didn't even realize that his statement was sarcastic bait for you to respond...and you took the bait like the predictable fish you are. He was kidding. It's like all you're doing is finding posts to say the same thing over and over again. Is that all you do here?

Slim Schaedle
11-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Football and weightlifting are 2 different animals. Teaching football and playing it are completely different. i see where you're going, but having played and coached, it's completely different than lifting, IMO.

Have you ever been coached by, listened to, or learned anything from anyone who has not squatted 1000 pounds?

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Have you ever been coached by, listened to, or learned anything from anyone who has not squatted 1000 pounds?

Actually, the 4 guys that have helped me the most were Louie Simmons (920), Dave Tate (935), Jim Wendler (1000), Teddy Forbes (1008). When Louie and Dave squatted those numbers, there were an handful of people who had ever squatted 1000. As a matter of fact, my best is 930. The 1000 was called high. So, I guess only Louie has squatted less than me in competition.

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Is that all you do is strike up bull**** in every thread? Is this going to turn into pages of you asking what everyone's experience is and telling them how awesome you are while simultaneously giving utterly stupid examples about rock bands to try and restate the same thing you're saying in almost every single thread? Could you perhaps start up your own thread stating your experiences and actually adding something to this community? You're an experienced powerlifter. Start stemming from there, but quit saying the same **** about you and your accomplishments and how everyone is inferior to you. It's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen hit these forums in years.

All Slim did was ask who's going to get the book stated in the original post. What did you do? You blew the train off its track with the nuke known as your ego.

What's your opinion on Lyle, Rhodes?

You seem to be the only one who has issues with everyone's diet. You're not adding anything. We already know eating big makes you big. There's stickies with diets dedicated to eating a bunch of food to get big. I'm sure you'll stumble upon it if you spent your time searching this site. You'll realize you've said nothing new that we don't already know. No wait, I'll just post a link because I know you won't search ~> The Big Boy's Menu Plan (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78823)

Gee, your "advice" seems pretty much like...nothing new? So quit saying the crap we already know in every thread. The motto here for years has seemed to be "eat big and lift heavy". Where does your advice fit into this that provides anything groundbreaking? Hint: nowhere.

You're so clueless that you didn't even realize that his statement was sarcastic bait for you to respond...and you took the bait like the predictable fish you are. He was kidding. It's like all you're doing is finding posts to say the same thing over and over again. Is that all you do here?

Dude, you're a f#$%ing nobody. Your rants about me are the same tired crap. You have made up your own views on my posts. Never, have i ever stated that my ideas are groundbreaking. Never. I take ideas that work and use them to death. You are the one that seems to think I don't know that I use old ideas. No $hit. Why come up with new stuff when the old stuff works perfectly? Kinda like the wheel.

Why would I waste my time searching for answers that I already know to work? That makes no sense to me.

And do you really think I give a f$%k if that statement was bait? Oooo! Ya got me. Someone asked if people were gonna buy the book. It would make a good 1 board. That's my opinion. It's alright for you to spout off your opinions. But, it's not ok for me to voice mine? F$%k you. It's funny how the same b!tches have something to say to me everytime. I have yet to see you add anything to any thread. You're a waste of space. Much like everybody on here, you regurgitate old info that you've read somewhere. Talk about groundbreaking.

I at least will list what I've done in my life. What have you done? I have a laundry list of good stuff I've accomplished, in sport, lifting, life, business. What's your claim to fame? You are so free flowing with stellar advice. Why should we listen to you? What's your pedigree? I only ask because apparently, all I do is brag about myself. Well, I've done it, so I can. Where are your accolades, my little friend? Maybe I should listen to you. Maybe you are filled with many pearls of wisdom. If I knew who you were or what you've done, I might listen. Unlike many, if you haven't done something, I don't care what you have to say. Repetitive, I know. But, you keep avoiding my question. You can find what I've done on the internet. i might even give you the links. Where can I find your accomplshments?

As far as adding something to this community, I have a number of people who get it. Not because I'm a genius, but because my thoughts make sense to them. Or, my thoughts echo some of the same beliefs they have. Just because you don't like me, doesn't make me wrong. You just don't like what I have to say, or how I say it. Go cry to mommy.

I wonder if you'll take the bait?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 12:35 AM
LOL. I'm glad you're here. I get a good laugh out of your responses. There you go again, telling people that they are nobodys. You feel good about yourself? :thumbup: Your ego doin' okay there? LOL. OMG. This is great. Keep going.

Dude, you're a f#$%ing nobody. Your rants about me are the same tired crap. You have made up your own views on my posts. Never, have i ever stated that my ideas are groundbreaking. Never. I take ideas that work and use them to death. You are the one that seems to think I don't know that I use old ideas. No $hit. Why come up with new stuff when the old stuff works perfectly? Kinda like the wheel.AHAH! This is great. You're a tool. I'm saying your ideas have been the foundation of this site long before you got here, so you defending them to the death is a little silly. AHAHA.

:lurk:

It's alright for you to spout off your opinions. But, it's not ok for me to voice mine? F$%k you.AHAH! This is great. Oh of course...your opinions. I'm not even going to touch this one. :whazzup:

As far as adding something to this community, I have a number of people who get it. Not because I'm a genius, but because my thoughts make sense to them. Or, my thoughts echo some of the same beliefs they have. Just because you don't like me, doesn't make me wrong. You just don't like what I have to say, or how I say it. Go cry to mommy.AHAHAHAHAHAHA!! You're killin' me. But seriously, these aren't your opinions or ideas. They are core fundamental training principals that have been advocated by this site since it started. We already know everything you've ever said. Cry to mommy. Good one. You're so witty.

I wonder if you'll take the bait?You lack the ability to bait anyone.

When you're done whipping out your e-penis, come back to the real world and communicate to people like a normal human being.

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Really? You really think you're that smart? Your baby humor amuses me as well. What have you done? Seriously? i'll ask until I get an answer. Why are you so afraid to tell me? Who are you?

TopCat
11-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Everybody in weightlifting knows to eat lots of protein. We all know that protein is the building block of muscle. We all know that you should get at least your bodyweight in grams per day. Why wouldn't you spend that time figuring out your training plan or goals? Why wouldn't you spend that time training? Do what you will with my board press book. When I get a tidbit of good info, I use it. The world loves to make this stuff harder than it really is.

Hate to say it, but many things are complex. A simple rule does not imply simple mechanics or information. Many simple rules taken for granted such as gravity or now even dietary protein have very large 'board press book(s)' behind them.

Regarding the topic... I am looking forward to reading this book once the quarter is over. Protein, being an integral part of a lifters intake, is certainly something worth investing a little time to learn about.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Really? You really think you're that smart? Your baby humor amuses me as well. What have you done? Seriously? i'll ask until I get an answer. Why are you so afraid to tell me? Who are you?LOL. It's like your mind is in another dimension. When you're a tool, nobody cares that you squat 900. LOL. Keep going. You're the baby here. I find that quite amusing.

:alcoholic:

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Hate to say it, but many things are complex. A simple rule does not imply simple mechanics or information. Many simple rules taken for granted such as gravity or now even dietary protein have very large 'board press book(s)' behind them.

Regarding the topic... I am looking forward to reading this book once the quarter is over. Protein, being an integral part of a lifters intake, is certainly something worth investing a little time to learn about.

I agree. However, there are few, if any, on here that are at such an elite level that these tiny details will make a difference. That's not an insult, but the truth. I include myself in that list.

TopCat
11-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Well even if the information did me absolutely no benefit it would still be a very interesting read. I doubt that is the case though.

I do plan on gaining weight at some point. However I also plan on losing some. I'm sure this information will be of great assistance for when I start to diet. Any help I can get for utilizing my allotted calories to their greatest potential for both muscle repair and maintenance while shedding weight i'll take. Would the UD2 diet be necessary for me? No. But sure it speeds things up.

RedSpikeyThing
11-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey Rhodes, is there anything wrong with learning more about a topic you're interested in, even if it won't help you progress in that area at all?

Chubrock
11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
i'll ask until I get an answer. Why are you so afraid to tell me? Who are you?

You're never going to get an answer to that. I will say, it is a great way to get people fired up. Nice job Rhodes.

Slim Schaedle
11-24-2007, 11:04 AM
So, I guess only Louie has squatted less than me in competition.

So if the others haven't done it, why listen to them, or care what they have to say?

Slim Schaedle
11-24-2007, 11:07 AM
You're never going to get an answer to that. I will say, it is a great way to get people fired up. Nice job Rhodes.

I honestly do not think anyone gets fired up at Matt's posts.

I think it's more of a "roll eyes" here-we-go-again thing.

It does get quite humorous, however.

Chubrock
11-24-2007, 12:05 PM
I honestly do not think anyone gets fired up at Matt's posts.

I think it's more of a "roll eyes" here-we-go-again thing.

It does get quite humorous, however.

I'd definitely say that's true for you, as you're one of the more level headed members of the forum. I can't say the same for some of the others though.

Slim Schaedle
11-24-2007, 12:13 PM
I'd definitely say that's true for you, as you're one of the more level headed members of the forum. I can't say the same for some of the others though.

tanks mang :burger:

Chubrock
11-24-2007, 12:17 PM
tanks mang :burger:

Haha yea. I still don't think most of the people see how enjoyable this is for Rhodes. It's way to easy for him to push people's buttons.

Keith
11-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I still don't think most of the people see how enjoyable this is for Rhodes. It's way to easy for him to push people's buttons.

Yeah, really. Which is why I usually sit back and enjoy the show.

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Keith and Chub are smart.

Whoever asked about reading to learn - rock on. Go for it. More tools in the tool box.

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 01:26 PM
So if the others haven't done it, why listen to them, or care what they have to say?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Dave, Jim, and Teddy have squatted more than me. There's another point that I have never mentioned. One thing I learned from my first boss, was, if he can teach me to be better at it than he is, then he truly is a great coach. But, as a rule, why would i listen to someone that hasn't done it? How do they know what it's like, if they haven't been there? I guess experience means a lot to me. No disrespect at all, but a 198 that squats 800, it's very impressive. but, it's only 800lbs. Not a grand. Big difference despite the bodyweight. It's only 800lbs. I'm sure you will take my comment as derogatory but it's not meant that way at all. It's just a fact.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 02:09 PM

So Slim...you pickin' up that book?

Wild Cat McCane
11-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm not an astronaut, so I guess I don't know anything about space...damn.

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Depends how much weed you smoke.

Chubrock
11-24-2007, 02:53 PM

You might know there are some planets out there, but you have no clue what it's like to be there or what to do while there. If Rhode's goal was to be an astronaut, he's going to seek out someone who's been in space, not someone who has the Discovery Channel.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 02:55 PM
So, how about that Lyle book, eh?

TopCat
11-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Anyone actually got a hold of the book yet? Hoping to hear a review or two in not too long. In two weeks ill be undergoing some radioactive treatment to knock out some thyroid cancer so needless to say Ill have a little time to read being in isolation for 5ish days and post my thoughts.

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Anyone actually got a hold of the book yet? Hoping to hear a review or two in not too long. In two weeks ill be undergoing some radioactive treatment to knock out some thyroid cancer so needless to say Ill have a little time to read being in isolation for 5ish days and post my thoughts.

Dude, you beat that $hit and come back even stronger than before. My sister beat cancer this spring. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. No need for luck. You'll be well soon enough.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Anyone actually got a hold of the book yet? Hoping to hear a review or two in not too long. In two weeks ill be undergoing some radioactive treatment to knock out some thyroid cancer so needless to say Ill have a little time to read being in isolation for 5ish days and post my thoughts.Dude, I hope you recover well. Stay strong and stay positive in your mind. The mind has an amazing effect on the body. I hope the best for you.