PDA

View Full Version : Ouch

chinaz
11-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I have a little question..

Ok, soo,

I really wunna move up to 195 on squat ( or attempt it at least... )

but the 190 is already hurting my upper back sooo much
(i think its called cervical, right??)

like, the bar really really hurts that upper bone.
its kinda slowing me down, like when i do 185X3, the reason i have to stop, is bec of it hurting that bone, not bec i need to stop.

Am i doing it wrong or what?? : /

Bohizzle
11-22-2007, 09:27 PM
watch sensei's squat Rx video on bar placement and it will help u to make sure u have the bar in the right spot.

Andrew

RhodeHouse
11-22-2007, 09:31 PM
The bar may be too high or you may not have a lot of muscle developement in your traps/upper back yet. Try squeezing your shoulder blades together before you get under the bar.

If you can squat 185x3 you can squat more than 200lbs. Figure out your bar placement and you'll take off.

chinaz
11-22-2007, 09:34 PM
The bar may be too high or you may not have a lot of muscle developement in your traps/upper back yet. Try squeezing your shoulder blades together before you get under the bar.

If you can squat 185x3 you can squat more than 200lbs. Figure out your bar placement and you'll take off.

woha 200?! no way!!

my gosh, im DIEING for this break to be over!!
ill lower the bar, and try squeezing my shoulder blades 2gether.

THANKS A BUNCH!!!!

chinaz
11-22-2007, 09:35 PM
watch sensei's squat Rx video on bar placement and it will help u to make sure u have the bar in the right spot.

Andrew

I have no idea how that is.. or how to find it : /

Chubrock
11-22-2007, 09:42 PM
It'll differ from person to person. If you squat with a closer stance, you'll end up using a higher bar placement. If you squat with a wider stance, more than likely you'll use a lower bar placement.

deeder
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71389

deeder
11-22-2007, 09:45 PM
It'll differ from person to person. If you squat with a closer stance, you'll end up using a higher bar placement. If you squat with a wider stance, more than likely you'll use a lower bar placement.

A lower bar placement should be used by powerlifters IMO. The leverages are better.

High bar is good for olympic squats because you can stay more upright in the hole.

Detard
11-22-2007, 10:14 PM
What they said ^^

markdk86
11-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Agreed. It sounds like you need to find your sweet spot and improve your form. All in do time.

deeder
11-22-2007, 10:18 PM
What they said ^^

Post whore. :windup:

garjagan
11-23-2007, 02:25 AM
I have a lack of mass around my rear shoulders/traps which doesnt give the bar much to rest on.

I'm using a pullover machine with high reps to thicken the back of my delts and shrugs to swell my traps and it seems to be working.

deeder
11-23-2007, 06:31 AM
^^ How about some heavy rows?

Chubrock
11-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Pulling heavy tends to work too...

garjagan
11-23-2007, 07:07 AM
^^ How about some heavy rows?

Sounds like a good suggestion. We dont have a seated cable row machine at my local gym and I'd really like to have access to one of those.

I should start bent over rows or some other kind of variation to aid progress.

RickTheDestroyer
11-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Pull your hands in some on the bar. I don't know where you put them now, but at your size you should definitely bring them inside the rings, this will help with squeezing your shoulders together and give you a good little shelf. In cases of people without a lot of upper back mass, I'd really recommend going with how Rippetoe says to grip the bar- with your thumb on top and your wrists straight. Give that a shot.
It'll be a pain to keep your chest up for a workout or two, but it will feel better once you're used to it.
Rhodes is definitely right though, if you can hit 185 for three, then you've got WAY more than 195 in you.

chinaz
11-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Pull your hands in some on the bar. I don't know where you put them now, but at your size you should definitely bring them inside the rings, this will help with squeezing your shoulders together and give you a good little shelf. In cases of people without a lot of upper back mass, I'd really recommend going with how Rippetoe says to grip the bar- with your thumb on top and your wrists straight. Give that a shot.
It'll be a pain to keep your chest up for a workout or two, but it will feel better once you're used to it.
Rhodes is definitely right though, if you can hit 185 for three, then you've got WAY more than 195 in you.

Well, one time the bar kept slipping backwards and my track coach said the bar needed to be higher on my bak, and i tried that, and thats when my upper back bone really started to hurt big time. Like, it just feels like a whole buncha pressure on the little ball feeling bone that i keep the bar on.
if i move it bak, then the bar will go backwards and ill drop it.
If i keep it were its at, its just guna hurt that little back bone thingy i was just talking about.
i dont think it has much to do with my upper back muscle,
bec its not hurting my "upper back"
just that little bone.
: /
and to tell you the truth i never thought about this whole bone thing keeping me away from going up higher on squat...
i just thought it hurt bec i was weak or sumthing...

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71389
Ahh, thank you : )

Im deff doing the upper bar one.

Bohizzle
11-23-2007, 10:06 AM
it shouldn't be the bone protruding from ur spine that's hurting. There should be no weight on that. It should all be on muscular tissue. whether on ur traps in high babr, or rhomboids and rear delts in low bar.

Andrew

chinaz
11-23-2007, 10:10 AM
it shouldn't be the bone protruding from ur spine that's hurting. There should be no weight on that. It should all be on muscular tissue. whether on ur traps in high babr, or rhomboids and rear delts in low bar.

Andrew

hhmm : /

My gosh, im soo lost..

then, why do you think its hurting??

i guess im doing it wrong... : /

when i take my vid, watch it and tell me if i have the bar on the right place or not. pretty plz?

markdk86
11-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Get your video taken then ,slacker :).

chinaz
11-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Get your video taken then ,slacker :).

i cant tell this break is over.
sorry

Bohizzle
11-23-2007, 10:43 AM
from what ur describing, I'd say most likely, ur looking down while ur squatting, have the bar too high, and/or are not pinching ur shoulder blades together and keeping ur upperback tight. But without video it will be hard for anyone to pinpoint what's wrong.

Andrew

Detard
11-23-2007, 02:12 PM
im cant tell this break is over.
sorry

Whats a break?

chinaz
11-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Whats a break?

thanksgiving break silly

Bako Lifter
11-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Whats a break?

Ya silly. Duh :).

Ramstein85
11-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I used to have the same problem and ended up with bruising on that bone behind the neck but if you narrow the grip on the bar it should push up your trapezium muscle on which you would place the bar so the weight is on the muscle not bone. It helps alot when you are not experiencing some pain in the neck which could disturb your concentration while squatting and ruin that last killer rep etc.

chinaz
11-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Ya silly. Duh :).

lol.. are you making fun of me mister???

chinaz
11-25-2007, 10:48 AM
I used to have the same problem and ended up with bruising on that bone behind the neck but if you narrow the grip on the bar it should push up your trapezium muscle on which you would place the bar so the weight is on the muscle not bone. It helps alot when you are not experiencing some pain in the neck which could disturb your concentration while squatting and ruin that last killer rep etc.

yeah, thats exactly what im taking about,
thanks, ill try it.

Sensei
11-25-2007, 07:04 PM
2eZ1HzoH0Rw

Ramstein85
11-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Or watch the master of Squat at work :P