PDA

View Full Version : yeah....protein..

Torrok
11-23-2007, 05:44 PM
so, ive not worked out for a whole week(feelin like crap) and we all know about muscle deterioration(spelt right?) so my question here is, if you get enough protein during off days, will your muscles still shrink or will it just slow the process?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-23-2007, 06:18 PM
A week is nothing. Sometimes it's good to take a week off after a few months of lifting to fully recuperate and be regenerated when you go back to the gym. But yes...make sure you keep eating.

Stray
11-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Like S.o.P said...you'll be fine.

Just get back on track.

Steve24
11-25-2007, 01:03 PM
yes thanksgiving week, i took it off also, currently feel like crap haha... cant wait to get in the gym tonight when i get back to school

Torrok
11-25-2007, 01:44 PM
hehe cool, i just read somewhere about muscles starting to shrink(deteriorate) after 48 hours ..i thot that was alittle ....different

ADT
11-25-2007, 06:25 PM
A week is nothing. Sometimes it's good to take a week off after a few months of lifting to fully recuperate and be regenerated when you go back to the gym. But yes...make sure you keep eating.

WannaBeBig Forums should have an option to insert an emoticon that reads "What sCaRz*Of*PaiN said..."

Best,
ADT

geoffrey
11-25-2007, 06:41 PM
so, ive not worked out for a whole week(feelin like crap) and we all know about muscle deterioration(spelt right?) so my question here is, if you get enough protein during off days, will your muscles still shrink or will it just slow the process?

muscle atrophy generally dos'nt occur within 2-3 weeks unless you're starving yourself....

you'll hear countless people tell ya they'll take a week or even two off from the gym and come back just as strong and sometimes stronger !

Steve24
11-27-2007, 07:37 AM
The very first time I benched 225 a year back was right after a 1.5 week break over Christmas. I was amazed.

AKMass
11-27-2007, 09:44 AM
I just got back from a two week break b/c I was sick. I had no appetite and lost around 7 lbs. Yet somehow yesterday I added 4-5 reps on my bench...Maybe it has something to do with the CNS??

J-rockin
11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
na akmass, you just let your body fully rest to get that weight. like mentioned above it's good to take a break once in awhile if that is what your going for. Personally i feel like crap when i skip out on the gym. Happened to me a few years ago i hurt my back squating in gym class and was off for 3 weeks, when i got back my max was up 5-10 pounds higher, didnt loose any weight tho

grtrat1
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
WannaBeBig Forums should have an option to insert an emoticon that reads "What sCaRz*Of*PaiN said..."

Best,
ADT

Hows this?
http://muscle-n-fitness.com/images/sop.gif

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 01:58 PM
:zipit:

Thanks.

grtrat1
11-27-2007, 02:23 PM
np.. Admin can add it to the smilie database now...:)

Holto
11-28-2007, 01:59 PM
The very first time I benched 225 a year back was right after a 1.5 week break over Christmas. I was amazed.

I'm always stronger after two weeks off.

I just got back from a two week break b/c I was sick. I had no appetite and lost around 7 lbs. Yet somehow yesterday I added 4-5 reps on my bench...Maybe it has something to do with the CNS??

This is precisely what it is.

PelleK
11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I would feel like crap if I skipped just 1 day, but reading how everyone improved from not working out it makes me wanna try. I'm supposed to train x-mas day. Maybe I skip x-mas. Dilemma.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-28-2007, 02:17 PM
I would feel like crap if I skipped just 1 day, but reading how everyone improved from not working out it makes me wanna try. I'm supposed to train x-mas day. Maybe I skip x-mas. Dilemma.Skipping a day won't kill you.

AKMass
11-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMass

This is precisely what it is.

Funny thing is, yesterday I had a lower body workout, but I lost a lot of strength/endurance on squats and lunges. I thought maybe this was b/c I stopped taking creatine when I got sick, but either way it's weird that some lifts would improve and others would get worse.

smalls
11-28-2007, 02:37 PM
muscle atrophy generally dos'nt occur within 2-3 weeks unless you're starving yourself....

you'll hear countless people tell ya they'll take a week or even two off from the gym and come back just as strong and sometimes stronger !

There are lots of reasons why atrophy could occur within that 2-3 week period even if nutrient intake was adequate (extreme cases obviosly like imobility post surgery, or severe injury) so it CAN happen much more quicly that people think if the muscle isnt being used at all.

This has nothing to do with taking a few days off, just correcting the above post.