PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Milk POWER!

mickyjune26
11-23-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm taking this during my last set at the gym. I'm currently getting 4,000+ cals each day without supplements due to a shortage of funds. In a few months, I'll be switching to Maximus.

2 cups nonfat dry milk (powdered milk)
10 TBS pure dextrose (corn sugar)
3 TBS cocoa (unsweetened cooking cocoa)

macros unknown. may fill in later.

Tastes pretty good, though I'm afraid that my taste buds may be a little fried due to other shakes I've made.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm not really looking to add much, if any fat to this. I usually have a fat, protein, carb meal 90 minutes after this shake.

shazoo123
11-23-2007, 10:51 PM
i mean, you seem to have the carbs there, but there isnt that much protein....milk is a good source of protein, but i mean not as much as whey would provide ya dig? u need to up the protein on that shake and it would be a bit more beneficial

mickyjune26
11-23-2007, 11:03 PM
This mixture has about 48 grams of protein. For many people, that's not enough. For me, it is because I eat about 30 grams protein 90 minutes prior to the workout and 30-40 more grams an hour after this shake. That equates to around 100 grams in a 4 hour window.

I guess I come from the mindset that I just eat a lot throughout the day, hit 200 g protein, fill up the rest with fats and carbs and lift regularly. I'm testing out this laid back approach on nutrients, curious to see how long I'll keep progressive before hitting the roof. Doing really well so far...

How much protien do you like in your post-workout shake? How much do you try to get each day and how much do you weigh?

jdeity
11-24-2007, 08:55 AM
i mean, you seem to have the carbs there, but there isnt that much protein....milk is a good source of protein, but i mean not as much as whey would provide ya dig? u need to up the protein on that shake and it would be a bit more beneficial

I think you're assuming he meant 2 cups of milk, 2 cups of powdered milk makes a whole lot more regular milk (2cups regular milk is like 16g protein, 80%casein protein and 20% whey).

Mickeyjune - you mentioned bulking/budget - is this powdered milk cheaper? I'm a milk addict and, if I recall, it's like ~$4 here (my fiance gets groceries). I dunno if I could drink it straight pretending it's milk, but could definitely use it in my 1 or 2 smoothies a day instead of the usual ~15-20oz milk I put in them!

mickyjune26
11-24-2007, 09:55 AM
here's the price breakdown:

Generic powdered milk from store - $13 for 80 servings (1 serving is 1/3 cup)

AtLarge protein (which is much high quality source of protein, though I don't know what percentage of performance increase will occur when comparing these two methods) - $50 per bucket (including shipping) for 70 servings

Powd Milk - 0.0203 per g protein
ATL Protein - 0.028 per g protein

so about 15% cheaper. Powdered milk used to be $11, so with the recent price increase, it's not really that much cheaper. Today I'm going to look at internet sources for powdered milk which should be a lot cheaper.

As for the corn sugar - I bought a 50 pound container 6 months ago and am only 1/3 the way through. It was only $15 or so.

The cocoa is $2 per container that probably has 20 servings, MAX.

So when it's all said and done, this is probably the same price as ATL protein powder with corn sugar.

It's just fun to experiment with alternate sources of protein.

mickyjune26
11-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I looked up bulk powdered milk prices and if my calculations are correct, it cuts the price per g of protein in half, to .0146 per g

Anyway, I don't know scientifically how eating whole foods or powdered milk shakes after workout vs whey protein compare, but I know that it's working really well these last 4 weeks.

Now can these foods hold up 6 months from now?

shazoo123
11-24-2007, 10:15 AM
yeah my bad about the protein thing. i was equating two cups of powdered milk to two cups of milk. my mistake. but yeah that seems to work fine. sounds pretty good too

jdeity
11-24-2007, 10:42 AM
i did the same thign recently, wasn't milk I can't remember what it was but I was so confused cuz I wasn't realizing it was(n't) powder (!! it was gatorade, someone mentioned an amount of gatorade, I use gatorade powder, so I figured they meant powder and not liquid haha)

micky, why not just use quik powder instead of sugar+cocoa? Is the price difference that much? I go through gatorade and quik powder jars/buckets like nobody's business haha! Milk + a ton of quik is actually a pretty solid weightgainer for dirty bulking lol, the milk just gets expensive!

mickyjune26
11-24-2007, 10:52 AM
yeah, my existing bag of corn sugar is way cheaper, though your quik powder prob tastes a lot better!

I miscalculated the powdered milk bulk prices. It seems that bulk pricing options on the internet are just as expensive as walmart.

It still looks like this is only slightly cheaper than ATL's Nitrean plus corn sugar.
conclusion - if you want to bulk on milk, go for powdered milk.

If you are looking for cheap protein - this isn't much cheaper than ATLs.

Da Wasian
01-13-2008, 09:42 PM
good info