PDA

View Full Version : how many calories?

dusst
11-24-2007, 05:54 PM
hey yall, just turned 18 and i am looking to bulk up for summer. i weigh 135 and im 6'2.

today i have have close to 2000 calories. ive yet to have dinner, or after dinner meal, or desert, or my late night protein shake so all that should add another 1500 calories. thats 3500. is that enough? i want to gain atleast 30 pounds by May.....

also, how should i go about gettin 3500 calories a day? i have 2 shakes a day, atleast 3 meals a day but i try for 5. i was thinking i should eat a lot of tuna wit mayo, chiken breast, a lot of lean meats and a lot of cheese and fiber. i love fruit so should i be eating a lot more fruit?

i could also add stuff to my shake. all i put in it is protein powder, ice, milk, banana. what else could i add? btw, ive tried pb in shakes it never turns out good. any suggestions? thanks!

RhodeHouse
11-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Eggs
Beef
Chicken
Pork
Potatoes
Rice
Pasta
Peanut Butter
Bread
Whole Milk

Never let yourself get hungry. Never let yourself get hungry. If you aren't hungry when it's time to eat - eat anyways. Never get caught without food. I would also try to get at least 200g of protein per day. I'm sure others will get more complex. I like things simple.

dusst
11-24-2007, 06:56 PM
i had eggs, chicken, bread, and milk today. i was thinking about keeping PB near my bed and jus snack outta that every night or so. also im thinking about loading up on icecream once or twice a week. bad calories i know but if you knew how skinny i was youd eat a tub of ice cream as well. lol.

n4rd0
11-25-2007, 06:36 PM
At 135 lbs i'd be careful eating 3500 calories a day; unless you really need to eat that much to gain weight. But personally i would bump that number down so i don't put on too much fat.

TopCat
11-25-2007, 10:43 PM
I would highly suggest keeping track of your calories, a lot of people like using fitday. It is a pain at first but after the first couple days it becomes very easy. This will really help you understand how much you are eating and be able to dial into a better diet in 2 weeks.

Basically what you need to do it to find your maintenance calories. You then bump up a couple hundred from there. The more you overshoot the more fat you will put on in the long run which is why it was suggested to maybe not eat 3.5k. Like rhodes said, it helps to keep it simple. Certainly at first. Keep a log, find your maintenance calories, and eat slightly over it for a start.

dusst
11-25-2007, 11:56 PM
n4rd0, would you suggest i eat around 3000 calories a day instead of 3500? also, if i gained any fat right now i would be very happy. ive been 135 for the past few years. to me, fat is hard to come by.

topcat thanks a lot. i started using fitday 2 days ago. its extremley helpful.