PDA

View Full Version : Veggies

brihead301
11-26-2007, 09:30 AM
I've always heard that you should eat at least 1 serving of veggies in every meal you eat thoughout the day. I honestly don't do this. I eat a box of microwavable veggies with my dinner maybe 3 times a week. Other then that, I just get tomatos on my sandwiches. Obviously, I don't eat as much veggies as most people say you should. My question is do veggies really affect your gains that much? I mean, if you're eating the right amount of calories for gaining weight or cutting, and you're getting enough protien, what role to the veggies play other then just overall health?

garjagan
11-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Eat your greens (brocalli etc). They're alkaline rich and regulate your body's acidity levels.

They do taste like crap for a reason!

brihead301
11-26-2007, 10:26 AM
I love broccolli and a lot of other veggies. I was just wondering how exactly they affect your muscular/strength gains overall. I mean, say I never ate any veggies, but I ate an otherwise perfect diet consisting of all lean meats and protiens, all good starchy and fibrous carbs, and all healthy fats meeting my exact daily caloric needs, (this is just hypothetically speaking) would my gains really suffer that much?

The only reason I ask this is because I have had a pretty good diet for the last 6 months. I've been lifting for about 6 years now, but I never really focused on my diet until 6 months ago. Obviously, my gains have improved substantially once I got my diet in check. The one thing I don't do is eat veggies in every meal (or every day even).

McIrish
11-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Bri, they probably won't affect your muscular gains in any noticeable way (heck, didn't Chase do a period on here where he was 100% liquid-dieting for a few months straight?)

The problem is that you're not getting NEARLY enough of the healthy benefits that veggies have... fight cancer, promote increased brain activity, fight cancer, fight cancer, etc.

Heck, throw together a spinach salad. It's easy. Take a salad - remove the lettuce. Replace with baby spinach. Voila, you're one step closer to having good veggies in the diet :)

Stuff a red pepper with beef and rice and eat it. Damn thats tasty.

Just gotta think outside the box, that's all...

Torrok
11-26-2007, 06:22 PM
YA dood, stuff like broccoli and cauliflour and pretty much most other veggies have complex carbs, antioxidants(extremely important) and good vits and minerals :)

ima food nerd, its all cool...'
http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php :D

brihead301
11-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Gotcha. I still try to eat veggies as much as possible. Thanks for the replies fellows.

Ramstein85
11-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Tomatoes, Spinach, Potato, Peppers, cucumber and lettuce are some of the veggies i eat almost everyday.